ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Mueller investigation , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 02:36 AM   #201
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread on the CBS McCabe interview
Old 19th February 2019, 02:37 AM   #202
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The biggest abuse of power and corruption scandal in our history, and it’s much worse than we thought. Andrew McCabe (FBI) admitted to plotting a coup (government overthrow) when he was serving in the FBI, before he was fired for lying & leaking.” @seanhannity @FoxNews
Treason!

Remember this, Andrew McCabe didn’t go to the bathroom without the approval of Leakin’ James Comey!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 19th February 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 03:44 AM   #203
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
this is some pants-soiling scary stuff.
Old 19th February 2019, 06:10 AM   #204
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Stone is eat-the-snake crazy and has been for many years.
Maybe.

Right now he may be playing some sort of “martyr card”, and revoked bail would fit right in with that scheme.

One wonders if incarceration will affect his apparent feeling of invulnerability, or somehow play into it. My guess is that an extended stay in jail might shake his confidence in his selected course of action. Even if he’s playing for an eventual pardon, the reality of a finite portion of his life on this mortal coil being spent in jail may jolt him back to the seriousness of his situation.

Still curious to see if the judge revokes his bail today or in the near future. I’m betting yes, but lots of factors must be going through the judge’s mind today.
Old 19th February 2019, 06:16 AM   #205
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
this is some pants-soiling scary stuff.
Boo! I can't read tweets from here!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:21 AM   #206
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status...93941795500032

Quote embedded in tweet. Essentially "it wasn't a threat, but people are misinterpreting it as such so even though it's 100% factual I'm taking it down". There are a couple of follow-ups in the subsequent tweets.
"It would be unfortunate if your wife and children were to meet with some terrible accident. A car crash, for example, or if they were to be caught in some random drive-by shooting. Very unfortunate.

What? No, it wasn't a threat, just the simple fact that it would be . . . unfortunate."
Old 19th February 2019, 06:27 AM   #207
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Boo! I can't read tweets from here!
It basically describes a shadow war within the FBI of anti-Clintonista vs. Comey, supporting and coordinating with the Trump Campaign to keep the investigation into Clinton going.
Old 19th February 2019, 06:32 AM   #208
Belz...
Fiend God

It basically describes a shadow war within the FBI of anti-Clintonista vs. Comey, supporting and coordinating with the Trump Campaign to keep the investigation into Clinton going.
Ok now I need to see those tweets! Get to it!

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:32 AM   #209
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

So Roger Stone going all-in for a Trump pardon? Can't see any other reason to personally antagonize a judge that will decide whether or not you get to be a free man in the near future.
Old 19th February 2019, 06:33 AM   #210
Belz...
Fiend God

The problem with that strategy is that Trump, while demanding loyalty, has none towards anyone.

Old 19th February 2019, 06:40 AM   #211
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The problem with that strategy is that Trump, while demanding loyalty, has none towards anyone.
Even if there is a pardon, who knows when that might actually happen. Pardoning these people would probably be an act of desperation for Trump, and would likely only occur in an end-game situation, either facing impeachment or as a lame duck. Roger Stone better be hoping for Trump to lose re-election and/or be facing impeachment soon, or he might have to wait in jail for some time.

But yeah, I don't see Trump sticking his neck out for his sacrificed pawns unless it is necessary for his own survival or unless it costs him nothing.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th February 2019 at 06:49 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:51 AM   #212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hopefully sooner or later everybody outside of the major players in all of this are going to start to realize that turning on Trump gives them better "saving your bacon" odds then hoping Trump will save them.

And honestly that's the bait I'd dangle if I was the Dems. Sure the inner circle goes down, no questions, no excuses but the players at the periphery are worth throwing a bone to see if they can be turned.

Some "Has enough evidence on Trump to do damage but didn't do so much evil himself that making a deal with them doesn't stain our soul" balance of a person has to exist in that clustertruck somewhere.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:54 AM   #213
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Even if there is a pardon, who knows when that might actually happen. Pardoning these people would probably be an act of desperation for Trump, and would likely only occur in an end-game situation, either facing impeachment or as a lame duck. Roger Stone better be hoping for Trump to lose re-election and/or be facing impeachment soon, or he might have to wait in jail for some time.

But yeah, I don't see Trump sticking his neck out for his sacrificed pawns unless it is necessary for his own survival or unless it costs him nothing.
Just to point out one detail that you may not be aware of.

The President cannot 'pardon' his way out of his own crimes. After all, the constitution specifically forbids the use of pardons in the case of impeachment (Article 2, Section 2).
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 06:58 AM   #214
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Just to point out one detail that you may not be aware of.

The President cannot 'pardon' his way out of his own crimes. After all, the constitution specifically forbids the use of pardons in the case of impeachment (Article 2, Section 2).
Sure, but he might pardon all his cronies in an attempt to get them to keep quiet and stay loyal. HW Bush pretty much pardoned everyone involved with Iran Contra and it worked pretty well to keep him from being personally implicated. Fortunately, Trump lacks the competence of the Reagan/Bush administrations.

If Trump sees an impeachment coming down the pike, who knows what he'll do.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th February 2019 at 07:03 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:01 AM   #215
The Big Dog

So Trump hired a liar and backstabbing snake? ( According to TBD)
Only the best people...
Super example of the Rule of So!

Trump did not hire McCabe.... hoo boy....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:02 AM   #216
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And this would be different from all the other things Trump can't do that he absolutely can do because nobody stops him... how exactly?

"But... but you can't do that!" sounds like the adults talking on the Peanuts cartoon to Trump and hasn't exactly been very effective in getting him to not do things.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:04 AM   #217
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And this would be different from all the other things Trump can't do that he absolutely can do because nobody stops him... how exactly?

"But... but you can't do that!" sounds like the adults talking on the Peanuts cartoon to Trump and hasn't exactly been very effective in getting him to not do things.
Yes, the legislative branch is the one tasked with checking his power, and the Republicans are happy to see it become subservient to the Executive. I don't see that changing unless more D's take both houses, or the R's have an abrupt change of heart.
Old 19th February 2019, 07:09 AM   #218
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Say, lets take a gander at what Seth Abramson, poet/grifter, has to say about last night's big interviewed with repeated fraudster Andy McCabe:

Ah, he has written extensively about it! well then....

Just kidding totally untrue, as everyone know McCabe and his unruly gang of Trump haters slow walked the revelation of the Weiner laptop until after McCabe's wife taking contributions were published in the WSJ, and not only did Comey not got threatened, he didn't even know what was on the laptop, and when he did, he immediately ordered the investigation reopened.

McCabe is a total slimbag, and the fact that Seth is on the case trying to rehabilitate that loser tells you all you need to know about him.
If you have something to add to that nonsense, please do so. You would have been better off reading this thread, of course, because I demolished Seth's nonsense yesterday by applying the time to first lie rule, and Seth came out swinging with lies right out of the gate.

Interesting how often people link to the Poet's musings rather than sharing their own comments.... hmmmm
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:20 AM   #219
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If you have something to add to that nonsense, please do so. You would have been better off reading this thread, of course, because I demolished Seth's nonsense yesterday by applying the time to first lie rule, and Seth came out swinging with lies right out of the gate.
"demolished" Seth's nonsense? LMFAO!

Sorry, you are more wrong than a broken clock. But that isn't news to anyone
Old 19th February 2019, 07:31 AM   #220
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

(The Witch Hunt) in time likely will become recognized as the greatest scandal in American political history, marking the first occasion in which the U.S. government bureaucrats sought to overturn an election (presidential)!” Victor Davis Hanson And got caught! @FoxNews
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:45 AM   #221
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
"It would be unfortunate if your wife and children were to meet with some terrible accident. A car crash, for example, or if they were to be caught in some random drive-by shooting. Very unfortunate.

What? No, it wasn't a threat, just the simple fact that it would be . . . unfortunate."
As an aside, Roger stone's head shape is almost enough to make me believe in phrenology.

He seems to lack a back to his skull

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...4.fit-760w.jpg
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:59 AM   #222
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
As an aside, Roger stone's head shape is almost enough to make me believe in phrenology.

He seems to lack a back to his skull

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...4.fit-760w.jpg
Along the same lines, why does he constantly flap his gums?

I don't mean this as a euphemism for diarrhea of the mouth. I mean actual, weird mouth movements while not talking.
Old 19th February 2019, 08:34 AM   #223
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Along the same lines, why does he constantly flap his gums?

I don't mean this as a euphemism for diarrhea of the mouth. I mean actual, weird mouth movements while not talking.
Luckily, I've never watched video of him. Just read articles.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:41 AM   #224
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Jesus cow-tipping Christ!

With all of the trouble that Stone is in, I never expected him to be so incredibly stupid as to insult/threaten the judge who is on his case.

I know that Trump is that stupid, but I never expected Stone to be that stupid.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:42 AM   #225
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Oh man. We drew Judge Spicer."
"Is that bad?"
"Well he's sorta had in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Only replace accidentally with repeatedly.... and dog with son."
Old 19th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #226
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

"Oh man. We drew Judge Spicer."
"Is that bad?"
"Well he's sorta had in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Only replace accidentally with repeatedly.... and dog with son."
"I call for a bad court thingy."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:48 AM   #227
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for it, but apparently Roger Stone posted a picture of the judge overseeing his case in DC. Not noteworthy in and of itself. The fact that the picture had crosshairs on it might be of interest to the judge.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Threatening any judge is an act of pure stupidity; threatening the judge who is hearing your case? I mean, what the actual **** was Roger Stone thinking?
My belief is that the picture with the crosshairs was accident/an oversight, and that Stone just happened to pick the first image that he came across and posted it without paying too much attention. (i.e. no specific threat intended.) The reason? Because I can't see any real benefit to doing that to a judge, and we've seen other people make similar mistakes.

That doesn't mean I'm absolving Stone. After all, he should be keeping his mouth shut and not posting ANYTHING about the judge or the case. Plus, as another poster pointed out, the source of that particular image seems to be linked to a web site that posts anti-semetiic nonsense... If someone is making references to those types of sites, you should be questioning their integrity. (e.g. in a "do you really read playboy for the articles" sort of way.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:52 AM   #228
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Placing crosshairs "somewhere" is one thing.

When the crosshairs dominate basically the only void space left by the cropped photo on top of it, it becomes far less plausible.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #229
The Big Dog

It is hilarious to see the left/resistance including stone cold grifters like Seth Abramson swooning over Andy McCabe.

Lets remember what the OIG said about Andy's veracity:

https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2018/o20180413.pdf
Old 19th February 2019, 09:02 AM   #230
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...80949935800320

Quote:
Oh boy. Judge Amy Berman Jackson doesn't seem happy with Roger Stone.
Document embedded in tweet. And, yeah, she doesn't seem like she's especially pleased.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #231
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/LauraAJarrett/st...41371166244866

Quote:
McCabe confirms for first time to @SavannahGuthrie on Today that the FBI informed the Gang 8 in May 2017 the FBI had opened a counterintelligence investigation into Trump and "no one objected. Not on legal grounds, not on constitutional grounds, and not based on the facts."

In his book, McCabe briefly explains that he informed lawmakers about the case files opened on 4 individuals connected to the Trump campaign, and then "told them of additional steps we had taken. No one interrupted. No one pushed back. The mood in the room was sober."
Old 19th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #232
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The inability of a lot of these people to even grasp the basic concept of "Okay now's the time to switch from offense to defense" is rather staggering.

You double down on a 11 when the dealer is showing a 6. If you're crazy you double down on a 9 when the dealer is showing a 10. When the dealer is showing an ace and you've already busted, and you just realized you're actually playing poker, stop doubling down.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:08 AM   #233
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Stone's been ordered to court to explain the instagram post
Old 19th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #234
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Jesus cow-tipping Christ!

With all of the trouble that Stone is in, I never expected him to be so incredibly stupid as to insult/threaten the judge who is on his case.

I know that Trump is that stupid, but I never expected Stone to be that stupid.
It makes perfect sense if Stone is shooting for a pardon. It's giving Trump cover to claim that the judge is clearly biased and possibly even treasonous.

Or if Stone's a wacko with a martyr complex. Either way.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:11 AM   #235
Belz...
Fiend God

It is hilarious to see the left/resistance including stone cold grifters like Seth Abramson swooning over Andy McCabe.
You do realise at this point that no one takes anything you say seriously, right?

Old 19th February 2019, 09:11 AM   #236
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Freddy: I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you, especially those of you in the jury!
[Man on the jury mutters, "He's clearly guilty"]
Lawyer: Wow, that didn't go well. The defense rests.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #237
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...80949935800320

Document embedded in tweet. And, yeah, she doesn't seem like she's especially pleased.
Lovely comment on the tweet:

Judge Jackson should leave no Stone uninterned.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:30 AM   #238
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Freddy: I'll kill you! I'll kill all of youlike I killed the victim, especially those of you in the jury!
[Man on the jury mutters, "He's clearly guilty"]
Lawyer: Wow, that didn't go well. The defense rests.
FIFY
Old 19th February 2019, 09:48 AM   #239
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Popehat article about Stone threatening/implying she's biased Jackson

It's waiting for an addendum re the latest news, which makes some of his last paragraph seem a little less likely.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 19th February 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 10:12 AM   #240
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Placing crosshairs "somewhere" is one thing.
When the crosshairs dominate basically the only void space left by the cropped photo on top of it, it becomes far less plausible.
First of all, I don't think the crosshairs were 'placed'. Given the angle, it looks like the crosshairs were part of the writing on the background.

Now, its possible that the creators of the image did intend to imply it as some sort of threat. But then, Stone wasn't the original creator of the image.

Its not the first time he has posted images without thinking... He once posted a picture of Himself, Trump and a bunch of other associates wearing space suits (in honor of Trump's plan to create "Space Force".) The problem is, the suits they were wearing had swastika on them.

https://www.newsweek.com/roger-stone...stikas-1072213

Again, I'm not saying this to absolve Stone. From what we know, he definitely belongs in jail, for a long long time. And he should definitely have kept clear of posting ANYTHING about the judge or the case. I'm just not convinced the 'crosshair image' was actually posted as a threat by Stone aimed at the judge.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics