ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Mueller investigation , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 20th February 2019, 01:45 PM   #321
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,442
That's pretty fast if it is
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:54 PM   #322
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 20,461
This is like the 3rd time the Mueller report "Will be released next week."

It's the Half Life 3 of political reports.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:54 PM   #323
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If you claim that Trump lies, that means that you can't believe him if he incriminates himself.

Meanwhile, everyone lies, so if witnesses dispute anything Trump asserts about any meeting, it's just two competing claims and you can't base anything on it.
Can you run through that again? I'm confused.

/s
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:54 PM   #324
WilliamSeger
Philosopher
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,020
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In Trump's defense we can't trust Trump to tell the truth about what Trump is doing in regards to Trump.
When Trump talks about Trump, I think he's referring to an imaginary friend who happens to also be named Trump, and who didn't collude with Russia and is a great and beloved president.

I'm not entirely being facetious.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 20th February 2019 at 01:56 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:00 PM   #325
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 20,461
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
When Trump talks about Trump, I think he's referring to an imaginary friend who happens to also be named Trump, and who didn't collude with Russia and is a great and beloved president.

I'm not entirely being facetious.
I've flip flopped on whether Trump is an odd case of a person with literally no personality only a projected persona or someone who's self identify is so fractured he's practically multiple people.

You could argue it either way.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:03 PM   #326
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,442
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've flip flopped on whether Trump is an odd case of a person with literally no personality only a projected persona or someone who's self identify is so fractured he's practically multiple people.

You could argue it either way.
The ghost writer of The Art of The Deal was pretty adamant that it was the first
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #327
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,430
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In Trump's defense we can't trust Trump to tell the truth about what Trump is doing in regards to Trump.
That's not our fault, it is his.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:10 PM   #328
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,430
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
You don't know how it works.

Ponderingturtle will be able to educate her

If you claim that Trump lies, that means that you can't believe him if he incriminates himself.

Meanwhile, everyone lies, so if witnesses dispute anything Trump asserts about any meeting, it's just two competing claims and you can't base anything on it.
Now I feel like Captain Yossarian.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #329
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,442
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Now I feel like Captain Yossarian.
But that's the way it works

Gah, I didn't mean to type "her" - I meant "you", sorry.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:23 PM   #330
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,893
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Any legal eagles here that can answer a question? Should the AG decide not to turn the report over to Congress or make it public, is there anything the House could do to force it to happen?

Seems to me that making this report go away is Trump's best chance of surviving the scandal, so I expect intense pressure to be placed on this report not being seen.
Not a legal eagle so I don't know. But obviously covering it up is going to be nothing but bad for Trump; and he's going to need a LOT of plumbers.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:38 PM   #331
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,013
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Posting links to websites like this should come with a health warning.
LOL. Pretty special, isn't it.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:05 PM   #332
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 41,050
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've flip flopped on whether Trump is an odd case of a person with literally no personality only a projected persona or someone who's self identify is so fractured he's practically multiple people.



You could argue it either way.
I was trying to imagine today. Would Trump have any friends?
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:24 PM   #333
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,704
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I was trying to imagine today. Would Trump have any friends?
He doesn't even have family that spends holidays with him.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:28 PM   #334
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Now I feel like Captain Yossarian.
I think we all do. . . .
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #335
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,355
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Any legal eagles here that can answer a question? Should the AG decide not to turn the report over to Congress or make it public, is there anything the House could do to force it to happen?
I'm not an eagle, but I know Adam Schiff, Democrat of California who is the head of the House Intelligence Committee, has said that the House could always ask Mueller in to testify before them if the report wasn't released, or was too heavily redacted, etc.

But I wonder if the Justice Dept. has any means to prevent Mueller from testifying if doing so would in effect release the report or parts thereof that Justice didn't want released? Perhaps something after the fact, like firing a day before being vested in the retirement plan (maybe Mueller is already vested anyway)?

And, there's the issue of whether which part of the report is released to the public or to Congress, and behind closed doors of Congress or not.

Buy plenty of popcorn.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #336
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,430
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
But that's the way it works
Is it? Not in my world. Just because Trump lies a lot does not mean there is isn't a logic to what he says. It would be false to say there isn't a clear way to see when he is telling the truth and when he is lying.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 05:18 PM   #337
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,451
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've flip flopped on whether Trump is an odd case of a person with literally no personality only a projected persona or someone who's self identify is so fractured he's practically multiple people.
From the start I've described Trump as an infantile personality, and nothing has changed my opinion. Trump has the emotional development of a normal 2-3 year old. Spoiled, perhaps, but within the bounds of normal. Something arrested his development at that point.


His sex-life, for instance, is masturbatory. Mail-order wives, the Playboy Mansion, porn-stars, glamour models, all associated with the sin of Onan, and of instant gratification. No shred of intimacy, because Trump is not capable of it. There is something very wrong with the man.


When Trump makes a move he gains immediate gratification from the image of it having resulted in a massive triumph. The disastrous actual results which develop over time do not erode the remembered joy of that rub-off. They just don't register with Trump. And because of that he projects a confidence that mesmerises certain resonating personality types.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 05:34 PM   #338
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,451
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Now I feel like Captain Yossarian.
Before or after he threw the dead man out of his tent?


The wonderful message is that you can do that.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 05:36 PM   #339
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,203
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I was trying to imagine today. Would Trump have any friends?
Friends are people who lend him lots of money for him to squander with no questions asked and eternity to pay. You know. People like Arab banks...and Pootie.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:22 PM   #340
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,430
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Before or after he threw the dead man out of his tent?
Both, the paradox, the absurdity and no win situation we are in reminds of that book. Although, without the humor.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:34 PM   #341
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,451
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Both, the paradox, the absurdity and no win situation we are in reminds of that book. Although, without the humor.
The book may have fended off the Milo Minderbinders for a generation or two, they inherited the world in the end, and subjected it to one hell of a tight bomb-pattern.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:37 PM   #342
BadBoy
Graduate Poster
 
BadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Not a legal eagle so I don't know. But obviously covering it up is going to be nothing but bad for Trump; and he's going to need a LOT of plumbers.
Get his lawyer on to it, whats his face, "Giuliani", he is a goddam geeenanus, and absolute sexual tranasuar of a Lawyer.
__________________
Go sell crazy someplace else we're all stocked up here
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:41 PM   #343
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22,430
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The book may have fended off the Milo Minderbinders for a generation or two, they inherited the world in the end, and subjected it to one hell of a tight bomb-pattern.
Now you're depressing me.
__________________
Try
Science, not superstition.
Reason, not revelation.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:51 PM   #344
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,778
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Get his lawyer on to it, whats his face, "Giuliani", he is a goddam geeenanus, and absolute sexual tranasuar of a Lawyer.
We haven’t heard from Giuliani for quite some time, have we?

Think he’s been muzzled?
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 07:35 PM   #345
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 22,893
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
We haven’t heard from Giuliani for quite some time, have we?

Think he’s been muzzled?
I'm not sure that's possible.

Meanwhile, Chris Christie, who was literally carrying Trump's luggage in 2016, must be thanking his lucky stars that he didn't get rewarded like he thought he would.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:15 PM   #346
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 24,139
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Hillary is a super-villain, she's so powerful that she controls everything.

Which explaions Trump winning the Electoral College.

Must be what Hillary wanted.

Devious ... very devious.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:23 PM   #347
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 76,060
If Mueller doesn't find a way, or assure a way, his report isn't thwarted by Trump installed allies, I'm going to be so disappointed. Surely Mueller understands the stakes.

Trump pardoning everyone involved is another risk our democracy faces.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:28 PM   #348
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,567
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I have been saying it since Trump got elected that the GOP needs to cut out the cancer by itself, or it will be tainted for decades to come.

But I fear Stegno is right in that Trumpers have invested too much of their identity into The Donald to admit to themselves and the world that they have been conned.
Especially with the RNC now intertwined with Trump. All the House and Senate guys depend on appendages like NRCC and NRSC for national joint fundraising.

The party has put its head in a noose with Trump holding the lever.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:44 PM   #349
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,502
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
LOL. Pretty special, isn't it.
Its pretty disturbing to imagine that there are actually people who think like this.

To be presented with actual examples of that type of thinking is mind-numbingly scary!
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:44 PM   #350
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 76,060
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Especially with the RNC now intertwined with Trump. All the House and Senate guys depend on appendages like NRCC and NRSC for national joint fundraising.

The party has put its head in a noose with Trump holding the lever.
He's not holding the lever, he's the rope.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:58 PM   #351
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,502
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If Mueller doesn't find a way, or assure a way, his report isn't thwarted by Trump installed allies, I'm going to be so disappointed. Surely Mueller understands the stakes.
In Ari Melber's "The Beat" today, it was mentioned that, this afternoon, trolleys of file boxes were being wheeled out of the offices of the Special Counsel.

Is Mueller taking steps like the Obama Administration did in the last few days of his Presidency, and Andrew McCabe did just after Comey's firing, to prevernt all the evidence being disappeared by Trump and his supporters on the Hill.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 12:08 AM   #352
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9,791
Mueller likes his Friday's ... and this is the last one in February.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:02 AM   #353
BadBoy
Graduate Poster
 
BadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
We haven’t heard from Giuliani for quite some time, have we?



Think he’s been muzzled?


He’s probably tied up in Trumps basement, chained to a box wearing a gimp mask and stockings and short leather skirt sleeping on a plastic “wipe clean” mat. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that!).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Go sell crazy someplace else we're all stocked up here
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:04 AM   #354
BadBoy
Graduate Poster
 
BadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In Ari Melber's "The Beat" today, it was mentioned that, this afternoon, trolleys of file boxes were being wheeled out of the offices of the Special Counsel.

Is Mueller taking steps like the Obama Administration did in the last few days of his Presidency, and Andrew McCabe did just after Comey's firing, to prevernt all the evidence being disappeared by Trump and his supporters on the Hill.
you'd like to think that this stuff was copied onto a few different digital media devices too though.

I am betting that there will be lots of smoke, with a hint of Russian fire, but will be put out promptly and the whole thing ends as a damp squib. (I hope not though)

I really think if they are going to get Trump himself, it will be by other means (Tax returns or other unlawful stuff) - but after he is no longer the pres.
__________________
Go sell crazy someplace else we're all stocked up here

Last edited by BadBoy; 21st February 2019 at 01:07 AM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:05 AM   #355
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25,591
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
This seems incredibly unlikely. He literally just subpoenaed Brittany Kaiser within the last 7 days. He only received copies of major players' testimony to Congress (including various bits of perjury) last week. Manafort hasn't been sentenced and, facing the real possibility of dying in prison, may decide to cooperate after all. Corsi has yet to be indicted. None of Trump's children have been interviewed. And so on.

In other words, if the investigation is really coming to an end then what that means is that it's being shut down, not that Mueller is in any way finished.

But let's take this with the same pinch of salt that we've had to take every other report of it shutting down.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:46 AM   #356
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,440
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This seems incredibly unlikely. He literally just subpoenaed Brittany Kaiser within the last 7 days. He only received copies of major players' testimony to Congress (including various bits of perjury) last week. Manafort hasn't been sentenced and, facing the real possibility of dying in prison, may decide to cooperate after all. Corsi has yet to be indicted. None of Trump's children have been interviewed. And so on.

In other words, if the investigation is really coming to an end then what that means is that it's being shut down, not that Mueller is in any way finished.

But let's take this with the same pinch of salt that we've had to take every other report of it shutting down.
NBC News seems to be reporting along these lines, too, incidentally. I'd take it with a grain of salt, too, but... I'd also say that there's a decent chance that the Congressional testimonies turned over to Mueller add little to nothing new (besides allowing for charges of perjury to be added to the charges at hand). As for Corsi and Trump's children... would it be surprising for them to simply be indicted based on a lot of firm evidence?

I wouldn't automatically assume that it was being shut down, depending on the actual results, in other words. With that said, I wouldn't rule it out, either. Nor would I rule out a decision being made to wind things down early and take what they've got, because every day some of these people are in positions of power, that's another day of undermining the US and bringing the world closer to catastrophe. Especially now that the "adults" are effectively gone from the White House.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:20 AM   #357
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,063
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Whew!

I sure do hope that this is actually the case.
But is that because Mueller is done, or because Barr's shut it down?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:08 AM   #358
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25,591
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
NBC News seems to be reporting along these lines, too, incidentally.
NBC literally said they were speculating.

Quote:
Nor would I rule out a decision being made to wind things down early and take what they've got, because every day some of these people are in positions of power, that's another day of undermining the US and bringing the world closer to catastrophe. Especially now that the "adults" are effectively gone from the White House.
If there's one thing that seemingly everybody not pushing a conspiracy theory seems to agree on it's that Mueller is by-the-book and doesn't make decisions based on politics. So I don't see these factors figuring into his actions at all.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:08 AM   #359
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,734
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I always thought more, Professor "Good news, everyone!" Farnsworth.
I thought 'insane genius' (specifically the second part) would be too much of a stretch compared to 'lackey to evil owner of self named corporation'.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:18 AM   #360
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,440
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
If there's one thing that seemingly everybody not pushing a conspiracy theory seems to agree on it's that Mueller is by-the-book and doesn't make decisions based on politics. So I don't see these factors figuring into his actions at all.
Does it actually count as politics if, for example, Mueller already had firm evidence that Trump and co were willing foreign assets and continued to be willing assets, but hadn't finished investigating a bunch of other crimes that were turned up in the course of the investigation? In such a case, I definitely wouldn't consider it "political" to ship off a bunch of the other crime investigations to those who would more normally hold jurisdiction for investigating those crimes and present the firm evidence at hand. It's not so much that that the motivations to do so are "political" so much as upholding "national security."
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 21st February 2019 at 04:21 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.