ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th March 2019, 08:14 PM   #41
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
What's the source on that quote?
What quote? I'm saying it's a terrorist attack. It is clearly as much one as someone driving a van into a bunch of people, and it's a hate crime because it's targeted again one class of people. That it was planned and had multiple attackers, what else would you call it?

That and the gunman's own manifesto says "it is a terrorist attack."

ETA: since it was clarified, it was from the Gunman's manifesto from the NZ Herald.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 14th March 2019 at 08:15 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:14 PM   #42
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I have seen what is apparently their Twitter

Nutjob
Link?

Anyway, sorry to hear this, NZ. I hope they find the guy ASAP and there are no more deaths.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:15 PM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
NZ Herald says...

So his manifesto is online and that's where that quote comes from?
I wasn't going to speculate.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:18 PM   #44
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

9 confirmed dead, but reports are saying 27-30 is the likely death toll. This is going to be worse that Aramoana.

Parts of me can't believe this, this sort of thing just doesn't happen here.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:20 PM   #45
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Caught him alive. He chose to face the consequences rather than to also be dead.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:20 PM   #46
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Waiting for the usual pro gun suspects to come running saying...

"See, see, strong gun laws don't stop this stuff from happening"
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:22 PM   #47
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Caught him alive. He chose to face the consequences rather than to also be dead.
It really pisses me off that a foreigner would come into our country and shoot our fellow countrymen and women. I'm all for deporting him back to Australia being dragged behind a very slow boat.

Old 14th March 2019, 08:22 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What quote? I'm saying it's a terrorist attack. It is clearly as much one as someone driving a van into a bunch of people, and it's a hate crime because it's targeted again one class of people. That it was planned and had multiple attackers, what else would you call it?

That and the gunman's own manifesto says "it is a terrorist attack."

ETA: since it was clarified, it was from the Gunman's manifesto from the NZ Herald.
Yeah, we're cross-posting Thanks.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:23 PM   #49
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

If they do, make sure to let them know that NZ does not have bans similar to Australia, nor any centralized gun registry.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:24 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It really pisses me off that a foreigner would come into our country and shoot our fellow countrymen and women. I'm all for deporting him back to Australia being dragged behind a very slow boat.
I agree. Send him back to us. You shouldn't have to deal with him.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:24 PM   #51
Checkmite

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:25 PM   #52
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I have a feeling this kind of stuff will get worse once we have the hundred million or so predicted climate refugess in the coming decades.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:30 PM   #53
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Appears the gunman live-streamed his action with a chest-mounted go-pro. I'm not going to look it up. Sicko.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:34 PM   #54
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This is one attacker?
Appears to be. Still very little info, but in custody.

Worse day since Aramoana
Already referenced that one.

He should beat Aramoana alright. Might be the worst day since the Featherston massacre of Japanese POWs.

Well, he knows he's not going to get the death penalty, being up for a maximum of about 50 years on recent sentencing history.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Appears the gunman live-streamed his action with a chest-mounted go-pro. I'm not going to look it up. Sicko.
If it was Farcebook, as suggested, it'll be up until next week, so no hurry.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:42 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What we know so far:

Quote:
Multiple people have been shot dead in shootings at two mosques in theNew Zealand city of Christchurch during Friday afternoon prayers. A car with explosives inside was intercepted by police nearby
One suspect is in custody but police warned they are still tracing an active shooter. Police commissioner Mike Bush said: “Close your doors until you hear from us again.”
The prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, said it was “One of New Zealand’s darkest days”, calling the attacks “an unprecedented act of violence”.
The city has been placed in lockdown, with schools and public buildings closed. Nearby climate change protests were evacuated and council staff have been looking after children separated from their relatives in the chaos.
Ardern spoke of the attacker’s motivation, saying the victims might include refugees and migrants. “They are us,” she said, before saying the perpetrator “has no place in New Zealand”.
Witness Len Peneha says he saw a man dressed in black enter the mosque – believed to have hundreds of people inside – and then heard dozens of shots. He says he also saw the gunman flee before emergency services arrived
source, again.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:48 PM   #56
Baylor
Suspended

He had "this is for ....." on this rifle. I couldn't read the bottom part as it was out of view of the shooter's camera.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:49 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Crikey, the site of the mosque at the centre of the attack is next to Hagley Park.

I hope the cricket's ok for tomorrow.
Jerk.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:50 PM   #58
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
He had "this is for ....." on this rifle. I couldn't read the bottom part as it was out of view of the shooter's camera.
His equipment appeared to have the names of some victims of Islamic terror attacks, as well as the names of some anti-Islamic terror attackers (from what I've read), written on them. The number "14" appears a number of times as well, and would seem to be a reference to a popular white-supremacist slogan known as "the 14 words".
Old 14th March 2019, 08:50 PM   #59
Baylor
Suspended

I think he said, "remember lads....to subscribe to PewDiePie" minutes before he entered the Mosque. (Having a hard time deciphering his Kiwi accent.)
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:53 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I think he said, "remember lads....to subscribe to PewDiePie" minutes before he entered the Mosque. (Having a hard time deciphering his Kiwi accent.)
Because he is Australian. You are listening wrong.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:54 PM   #61
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by @nzpolice
Police are aware there is extremely distressing footage relating to the incident in Christchurch circulating online. We would strongly urge that the link not be shared. We are working to have any footage removed.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:57 PM   #62
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
His equipment appeared to have the names of some victims of Islamic terror attacks, as well as the names of some anti-Islamic terror attackers (from what I've read), written on them. The number "14" appears a number of times as well, and would seem to be a reference to a popular white-supremacist slogan known as "the 14 words".
"kebab remover" was written on there.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:58 PM   #63
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

The first article I saw of this was from the Denver Post. There is exactly one comment on the article right now:

Quote:
But how could this possibly happen when NZ has strict gun laws, and we've been told over and over that mass shootings only happen in "GunAmerica"?
This really sucks. NZ seems like one of the nicest places on earth - literally. Beautiful temperate climate, good environmental stewardship, sane governance, reasonably low population density, good standard of living.... Most of the kiwis I have ever met were complete lunatics, but in the good sort of way.

It sucks to see such a bad thing happen in such an otherwise nice place. (I mean, it would suck anywhere, but one just does not expect this sort of thing there.)

Last edited by crescent; 14th March 2019 at 09:02 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:06 PM   #64
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Link?

Anyway, sorry to hear this, NZ. I hope they find the guy ASAP and there are no more deaths.
Id prefer not to give the scum any free air time.

Both it and his video of doing are pretty hard NOT to find on Twitter atm
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:08 PM   #65
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Rumour seems to be 5-9 shooters
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:11 PM   #66
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Rumour also says they have caught more than one but not announced

Old 14th March 2019, 09:11 PM   #67
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I watched his video. He killed virtually every person in that first mosque. I would estimate around 30-60 dead at that mosque. Then he walked out shooting anybody nearby on the sidewalk. Then sped away in his car shooting at people as he drove past them. Shot out his own windshield and side window with a pump shotgun.

Then kept driving maybe to the next mosque. That 17 minute video ends before he goes to any other location.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:12 PM   #68
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Rumour seems to be 5-9 shooters
Only one shooter at the mosque that I saw on video. The one guy killed everyone himself and then drove away. He still had lots more guns and ammo as if he was going to shoot more elsewhere. Also his car had numerous gasoline cans inside.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:12 PM   #69
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A friend of mine has just rung to say that armed police here in Nelson have just turned up at his mosque.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:14 PM   #70
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If they do, make sure to let them know that NZ does not have bans similar to Australia, nor any centralized gun registry.
My condolences to the victims.

NZ will probably go for much tighter laws now.

What a nutcase.

This will only make everything he supposedly hates, worse.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:15 PM   #71
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I watched his video. He killed virtually every person in that first mosque. I would estimate around 30-60 dead at that mosque. Then he walked out shooting anybody nearby on the sidewalk. Then sped away in his car shooting at people as he drove past them. Shot out his own windshield and side window with a pump shotgun.

Then kept driving maybe to the next mosque. That 17 minute video ends before he goes to any other location.
Wow...

Well I won't watch it.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:21 PM   #72
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
My condolences to the victims.

NZ will probably go for much tighter laws now.

What a nutcase.

This will only make everything he supposedly hates, worse.
Not really. If the reports I have heard are true, then he would have had to have had the weapon illegally, stricter gun laws won't prevent that because criminals don't pay attention to the laws anyways. There will be a big investigation as to how he got the weapons, and more people could be going to jail based on that.

Old 14th March 2019, 09:21 PM   #73
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He was very thorough about not leaving anyone alive. People had cowered in groups of dozens and he shot every single one of them. Then came back multiple times looking for body movement or moaning which he would shoot at again.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:26 PM   #74
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Live news - Four people in custody. Three men and one woman.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:26 PM   #75
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Four people are in custody

Police have four people in custody.

"We are not aware of other people, but we cannot assume there are not others at large," said Police Commissioner Mike Bush.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:26 PM   #76
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He had at least 6 rifles and shotguns in his car, all ready to go and tons of ammunition. All of the shooting could be from this one guy. He was a crazed beast listening to rock music in his car while he blasted innocent people.

It was like watching some kind of computer game or Hollywood movie. This can't be real - it seems scripted and nobody gets out alive. But damn, it is real.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:28 PM   #77
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They still seem to be avoiding the T word.

Old 14th March 2019, 09:28 PM   #78
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Four in custody? My God, if those other three were as deadly as this video guy then you have well over a hundred dead.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:30 PM   #79
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Not really. If the reports I have heard are true, then he would have had to have had the weapon illegally, stricter gun laws won't prevent that because criminals don't pay attention to the laws anyways. There will be a big investigation as to how he got the weapons, and more people could be going to jail based on that.
Do you know what was illegal about him having the weapons?

Other sites are reporting that there may have been some return fire by citizens?

Old 14th March 2019, 09:30 PM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Three men, one woman in custody
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said the four in custody were believed to be three men and one woman.
He said the situation was still fast moving.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events