ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Box Office Truthers

Captain Marvel just passed $800 million global and seems on track to easily pass a billion before all is said and done.

Or....is it all fake? I've seen a lot of chatter about how this is all a scam.

You see Captain Marvel can't be doing well because butthurt white men on the internet said it couldn't after their fever dreams where star Brie Larson called for the genocide of white men. So...how to account for the box office figures? Well one faction thinks the numbers are just fake cooked up by some grand conspiracy between radical feminists and Disney. The other faction thinks Disney is buying up the seats themselves? Yeah, that one is a bit out there.

And to think this is all over an innocent remark about how most film reviewers are white men. From that we get all this whinging about white male genocide. And it is the SJW's that are the snowflakes? Yikes.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Axxman300
Illuminator

I saw Captain Marvel yesterday (loved it). There were 40 people at the 11:00am show, on a Tuesday. The movie is doing alright.
Old 20th March 2019, 11:41 PM   #3
Travis

Yeah these incel MRA types seem to think their opinions are shared by way more people than they actually are.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:50 PM   #4
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yeah these incel MRA types seem to think their opinions are shared by way more people than they actually are.
They are shared by 100 % (= both) of their friends. What more evidence do you need?
Old 21st March 2019, 02:12 AM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Another claim is Disney are forcing Rotten Tomatoes to remove negative reviews.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Those people need to get laid.
Old 21st March 2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
the customer review numbers dropped a couple times. they purged 53,000 'don't want to see' votes before it even came out. I guess they actually could have been all bots as that conspiracy goes.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 12:26 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think some of the supporters of this crap as the usual suspects: Over the Top DC fanboys who hate everything Marvel, and are perfectly willing to consort with the MRA types to put down Marvel.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 12:29 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
You get this every Marvel Movie from demented DC fanboys.
The Marvel fans vs DC Fans feud is one of the silliest things on the Internet. I say fans because Marvel and DC don't engage in this idiocy, it's a waste of time and stupid; the Marvel/DC crossovers books have been really lucrative for both companies.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st March 2019 at 12:31 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 12:32 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Thing about this is it's hard, for "Captain Marvel" to tell who is doing this crap: The MRA types or the DC fan wackjobs.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st March 2019, 12:38 PM   #11
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm more a DC zealot than a Marvel zombie, but it seems like some of the fanboys are of the opinion that the only way to get DC ahead of Marvel is to tear down the latter. I think the secret is for DC to make better movies, like Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

And I'm not too concerned long-term; Disney has a history of milking every franchise it gets to death.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 12:48 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm more a DC zealot than a Marvel zombie, but it seems like some of the fanboys are of the opinion that the only way to get DC ahead of Marvel is to tear down the latter. I think the secret is for DC to make better movies, like Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

And I'm not too concerned long-term; Disney has a history of milking every franchise it gets to death.
I think the DCU took a big step forward with basically kicking Zack Snyder upstairs to a meaningless "Executive Producer" postion and taking the DCU away from him. BvS is a movie that a lot of people bought tickets for but people walked out not liking very much. It caught up with DC with what happened with Justice League. Clear people did not like the Snyderverse very much.
But "Shazam" looks fun...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st March 2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Marvel fans vs DC Fans feud is one of the silliest things on the Internet.
makes more sense than the 'Heroes' 'Lost' war on Imdb back in the day. never understood that one.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 02:33 PM   #14
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Those people need to get laid.
People who care enough about a comic book movie to invent a conspiracy theory about it? Yeah, that's gonna happen.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 02:44 PM   #15
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

MRA types?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 03:26 PM   #16
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
MRA types?
people feminists don't agree with
Old 21st March 2019, 04:56 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

MRA types?
MRA= Male Rights Activests....Males who claim their rights are being taken away by evil feminnists...though 99% of the time it means they are angry because they can't treat women like inferior beings anymore.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:59 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There was a conspiracy theory back in 2016 that Disney paid critics to give Batman vs Superman bad reviews.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st March 2019, 07:10 PM   #19
Travis

MRA types?
The second link in my OP goes to a subreddit called MGTOW which stands for Men Going Their Own Way. If you want a good example of this movement go read through their reddit threads. Lots and lost of talk about how awful feminism is.

Old 21st March 2019, 09:51 PM   #20
Jimmy9
Scholar

I wouldnt trust Rotten Tomatoes. SMH, they gave Black Panther a 97% rating!

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 04:58 AM   #21
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jimmy9 View Post
I wouldnt trust Rotten Tomatoes. SMH, they gave Black Panther a 97% rating!
Rotten Tomatoes don't give ratings. They aggregate the ratings of other reviewers.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:07 AM   #22
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

There were some right-wing nuts of the opinion that box office numbers are inflated for movies "promoting" "liberal" causes - Brokeback Mountain, etc.

That's some serious nuttery.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:09 AM   #23
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
There were some right-wing nuts of the opinion that box office numbers are inflated for movies "promoting" "liberal" causes - Brokeback Mountain, etc.

That's some serious nuttery.
not really

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...s-controversy/
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:19 AM   #24
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Reviews =/= box office #'s though.

In USA politics, posters were arguing that Fox News might be inflating their ratings somehow. Sad!

Last edited by carlitos; 22nd March 2019 at 09:21 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:30 AM   #25
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

For all those Captain Marvel Truthers - I suggest you go to every showing you can, and take notes on the number of attendees.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:37 AM   #26
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
For all those Captain Marvel Truthers - I suggest you go to every showing you can, and take notes on the number of attendees.
I won't for to theaters, but wait until it is accessible to cable, but even if I did it would be only one time. I suspect most people will only pay for one showing, while a few others will view multiple times.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:59 AM   #27
Georgio
Muse

Don't know or care anything about Captain Marvel or superhero movies in general, but I know quite a lot about the men's rights movement, mgtow, incels and anti-feminists and where one begins and another ends etc. For anyone who is genuinely interested I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have and to link you to any material. Sadly, most who throw around labels like 'MRA types' and the like are not interested in educating themselves about the actual nature of the movement or its aims. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong but most probably I'll be told to go and get laid or something.

In case anyone doesn't ask, here are some men's rights channels on youtube that you should watch if you are as uninformed as certain posters in this thread evidently are:

karen straughen
Honey Badger Radio
bane666au
Erin Pizzey
Cassie Jaye
The Glass Blind Spot
TL;DR
Prim Reaper

and if you have already seen those channels and still want to say that 'MRA types' are whining, exclusively white, male manbabies whose thesis is that men are being oppressed by society and women then you are being wilfully dishonest. The majority of false rape allegations (a huge MRA talking point) are made against black men; there is a fast growing men's rights movement in India. Erin Pizzey started the world's first domestic violence shelter in the 1970s (for which she could get funding easily) and then attempted to get funding for a men's shelter (the consensus among experts being that domestic violence is NOT a gendered issue) and couldn't get any, and indeed she was protested by radical feminists at every turn. Pizzey is now a prominent MRA (and happens to be a woman). These are just a few examples that come to mind that blow the 'straight, white manbaby' stereotype out of the water but there are many others (because it's nonsense).

@dubalb
Where are you getting your information from about 'MRA types'? Can you give me a few examples of people who you think are MRAs?
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:33 AM   #28
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

MRA= Male Rights Activests....Males who claim their rights are being taken away by evil feminnists...though 99% of the time it means they are angry because they can't treat women like inferior beings anymore.
Thank you.

The second link in my OP goes to a subreddit called MGTOW which stands for Men Going Their Own Way. If you want a good example of this movement go read through their reddit threads. Lots and lost of talk about how awful feminism is.
Wow! I had heard of them second-hand, but reading it straight from the source is an experience.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:08 PM   #29
Georgio
Muse

Thank you
Don't thank him; it's nonsense. Watch the youtube channels I linked in my post.

Quote:
Wow! I had heard of them second-hand, but reading it straight from the source is an experience.
There's a lot of overlap but MGTOW is not the men's rights movement or vice versa. That's also just a subreddit and not representative of anything other than itself. I'm a MGTOW and I've never used reddit in my life.

As I say, please, please don't just take these dismissive descriptions as being accurate or representative without question. Watch the channels I linked to.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:19 PM   #30
Georgio
Muse

Lots and lost of talk about how awful feminism is.
Yes, and with, I imagine, very good reasons since there are so many of these. You make it sound like feminism is beyond criticism so any criticism of it is just wrong requiring no further qualification.

Here's a criticism of feminism: through its ideology and active protesting it has led to the widespread application of a model of domestic violence treatment that is in polar opposition to the scientific consensus regarding the causes of domestic violence. A man called Earl Silverman tried to set up a men's shelter in Canada and was frustrated and protested at every turn by feminists; he ended up killing himself.

Here's another: due to the same ideology it has led to the widespread application of a model of parental custody prioritization after separation that is in similar opposition to the data, leading to many fathers being permanently alienated from their children.

That's the tip of the iceberg, but that's more than enough to qualify feminism as awful in my book.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:45 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Oooh, we hit somebody's soft spot.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:55 PM   #32
Georgio
Muse

Oooh, we hit somebody's soft spot.
Indeed. I'm funny like that, I get all upset when victims of domestic violence are ignored or ridiculed due to a provably false model of domestic violence being the norm in shelters, or fathers not being allowed to see their children, or people being falsely accused of rape and other silly little things like that. Must be my 'fragile masculinity' (or is it my 'toxic masculinity', I can never remember).

Oh no that's right, if I don't talk about these things it's toxic, and if I do then it's fragile, that's it.

Care to answer any of my questions or is it just going to be more of this standard guff? We're 'sceptics', aren't we? What information has informed your opinion of 'MRA types'?
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:16 PM   #33
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
Indeed. I'm funny like that, I get all upset when victims of domestic violence are ignored or ridiculed due to a provably false model of domestic violence being the norm in shelters, or fathers not being allowed to see their children, or people being falsely accused of rape and other silly little things like that. Must be my 'fragile masculinity' (or is it my 'toxic masculinity', I can never remember).

Oh no that's right, if I don't talk about these things it's toxic, and if I do then it's fragile, that's it.

Care to answer any of my questions or is it just going to be more of this standard guff? We're 'sceptics', aren't we? What information has informed your opinion of 'MRA types'?
I'm just skimming, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but how does Captain Marvel address these issues?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:18 PM   #34
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I DO know that if you ever come across a divorcée who has lost custody of her children you should run the other way.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:34 PM   #35
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm just skimming, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but how does Captain Marvel address these issues?
I'm sure it doesn't; this was a derail where I attempt to clarify what a men's rights activist is and isn't in response to posters unfairly labelling people 'MRA types' without qualification (and as if advocating for the rights and many valid issues of men is simply a smokescreen for straight, white manbabies to tell women to get back in the kitchen and stamp their feet over things like superhero movies, which it isn't).

Last edited by Georgio; 22nd March 2019 at 01:37 PM.
Georgio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:49 PM   #36
TomB
Muse

I haven't seen it yet, but one of my friends (decidedly NOT a MRA) described it as good, but not great. I'm hoping to see it withing the next week.

The online review I've read/watched have mostly said about the same thing. One interesting complaint I've run across quite a bit is that they made the movie based on the wrong Captain Marvel. Apparently, there is a fan base for the Monica Rambeau version. (There have been, I think, five Captain Marvels: Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell (his son), Phyla-Vell (daughter), Monica Rambeau, and Carol Danvers). I'm not familiar with her, so I'm not sure why. When I was reading comics, Mar-Vell was still captain Marvel and Danvers was Ms. Marvel.

I haven't seen any reviews suggesting that they should have done the movie based on Mar-Vell or Genis-Vell (the male versions).

As for the MRAs, from what I've seen, they are a bunch of misogynistic jerks. However, a couple of the issues they cloak themselves in might have some validity. When I got my divorce (1992), my lawyer told me up front, that there was no point in going for custody unless I could prove my ex-wife was unfit. The way he put it was that barring extraordinary circumstances, the kids go with the mother and the house goes wherever the kids go. But that was 27 years ago.

The thing is, the incels, MGTOWs etc. make it impossible to discuss any actual issues, even to the point of determining their validity. The above issue for example should concern both men and women: men having a chance at custody, and women not being labeled "unfit" if they don't have custody.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 04:08 PM   #37
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It doesn't address those issues. It's a comic book/origin story movie where the title character is a woman. There are flashbacks where she deals with being shunted aside because of her gender, but for the most part they're the same things Steve Rogers/Captain America dealt with in his fist movie/origin story.

If you take the gender out of the story it's mostly a standard Marvel outing. Samuel L Jackson and the cat steal the movie, and that's worth the price of a ticket right there.
Old 23rd March 2019, 02:41 AM   #38
Travis

The issue, such as it is, stems from the fact that Brie said she wanted more diversity in the film review ranks. Which is something I agree with. But somehow this meant to the MGTOW crowd that she didn't want white men to see the film at all. That the film was a vehicle to advance some radical anti man social stance. It sounds stupid because it was stupid.

Old 23rd March 2019, 12:34 PM   #39
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Captain Marvel just passed $800 million global and seems on track to easily pass a billion before all is said and done.

Or....is it all fake? I've seen a lot of chatter about how this is all a scam.

You see Captain Marvel can't be doing well because butthurt white men on the internet said it couldn't after their fever dreams where star Brie Larson called for the genocide of white men. So...how to account for the box office figures? Well one faction thinks the numbers are just fake cooked up by some grand conspiracy between radical feminists and Disney. The other faction thinks Disney is buying up the seats themselves? Yeah, that one is a bit out there.
Didn't Black Panther have low ratings on Rotten Tomatoes before it shattered box office records? You can't always assume movies with bad reviews aren't going to be popular. Even bad movies are sometimes popular.

Who is saying there is some grand conspiracy between feminists and Disney to inflate box office figures? I worked in market research for the entertainment industry for too many years to know that specific box office totals for a movie still in the theaters are really guesstimates. Box office totals are subject to various accounting sleight of hand and changing definitions. The amount of money a movie earns is that is reported to the press isn't the same as the money it earned when calculating who gets paid what. Think about what Hollywood does. It manufactures false realities for the enjoyment of the masses. In other words, it lies for a living. You can't assume every press release is telling you the truth. Disney is notorious for inflating its numbers but all the studios do it one degree or another. Radical feminism has nothing to do with what happens in the accounting department.

I know that box office for Captain Marvel will be inflated. But the movie is objectively doing well in the theaters. Alot of people I know are seeing it more than once. Multiply that by the price of admission and you're talking about some serious cash.

The disconnect between the early rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the reported box office is a disconnect between people who like movies so much that they voice their opinion about them on the internet. Those people consider movies to be a form of art whereas the people who contribute to the box office totals are just ordinary people who want to be entertained. If I voted on Rotten Tomatoes, I would've said I didn't intend to see it. But that's because comic book movies are nothing more than inane dialogue, bad acting, insipid story lines, awesome explosions and nice tits. Nazi incels shouldn't have assumed the high brow early reviewers represent the masses.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 09:00 AM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This isn't the exact same thing but it's related enough and doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Youtuber Austin McConnell (and to be 100% clear I do think he's mostly joking in a "what if" kind of way with this) posted a video where he claims Spiderman: Far From Home isn't a real movie. That the entire film is fake, doesn't exist beyond the teaser trailer, and is one big piece of misdirection for Avengers: Endgame which will drop the huge bomb that none of the "snapped" people are coming back.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories