ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2019, 09:20 AM   #41
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This isn't the exact same thing but it's related enough and doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Youtuber Austin McConnell (and to be 100% clear I do think he's mostly joking in a "what if" kind of way with this) posted a video where he claims Spiderman: Far From Home isn't a real movie. That the entire film is fake, doesn't exist beyond the teaser trailer, and is one big piece of misdirection for Avengers: Endgame which will drop the huge bomb that none of the "snapped" people are coming back.
The film exists https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6320628/
To be released 5 Jul 19.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 05:12 PM   #42
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You have just described a good portion of on line

fandom nowdays.

Anybody here who used to read or participate in the IMdB discussion Boards before they were closed down a few years ago would remember the fan wars with little fondness. Tent Pole Movies of any genre that generated any big pre-release publicity would start a war in all the discussion threads between the fans long before release. Super hero movies were particularly susceptible to this. They would be upvoted in their tens of thousands within hours of release, and looking at the scores, "1"'s and "10"'s would make up about 80% of those scores.

The definitive example of this was The Dark Knight which the day after release had a rating of 9.8 and was on the list as the best Movie of all time, hundreds of different threads where people were facing off somewhat impolitely, and a war started between The Dark Knight and (I think) The Shawshank Redemption fanbaseswhere thousands of fake accounts were created to upvote one and downvote the other. Virtually zero Moderation.

It reached a point where the database was hacked, and for a few hours The Dark Knight had a rating of 0.1 (the worst movie of all time). It really was quite surreal. All the discussion pages were much the same and were absolutely jam packed with trolls. Decent discussion became impossible outside of little known films and most of the classics which were completely outside the rabid fan radar.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 05:26 PM   #43
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Decent discussion became impossible outside of little known films and most of the classics which were completely outside the rabid fan radar.
I remember any conversation that didn't devolve into pure tribalism within four posts was always something to remark upon. People would be profusely thanking each other and commenting on how wonderful and rare it was to see such a thing

Still think they shouldn't have closed down the forums, however.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:34 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm just skimming, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but how does Captain Marvel address these issues?
Captain Marvel has absolutely nothing to do with feminism or politics.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
It doesn't address those issues. It's a comic book/origin story movie where the title character is a woman. There are flashbacks where she deals with being shunted aside because of her gender, but for the most part they're the same things Steve Rogers/Captain America dealt with in his fist movie/origin story.

If you take the gender out of the story it's mostly a standard Marvel outing. Samuel L Jackson and the cat steal the movie, and that's worth the price of a ticket right there.
Mendelsohn steals the movie as well.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:35 AM   #45
Belz...
Fiend God

Anybody here who used to read or participate in the IMdB discussion Boards before they were closed down a few years ago would remember the fan wars with little fondness. Tent Pole Movies of any genre that generated any big pre-release publicity would start a war in all the discussion threads between the fans long before release. Super hero movies were particularly susceptible to this. They would be upvoted in their tens of thousands within hours of release, and looking at the scores, "1"'s and "10"'s would make up about 80% of those scores.

The definitive example of this was The Dark Knight which the day after release had a rating of 9.8 and was on the list as the best Movie of all time, hundreds of different threads where people were facing off somewhat impolitely, and a war started between The Dark Knight and (I think) The Shawshank Redemption fanbaseswhere thousands of fake accounts were created to upvote one and downvote the other. Virtually zero Moderation.

It reached a point where the database was hacked, and for a few hours The Dark Knight had a rating of 0.1 (the worst movie of all time). It really was quite surreal. All the discussion pages were much the same and were absolutely jam packed with trolls. Decent discussion became impossible outside of little known films and most of the classics which were completely outside the rabid fan radar.

Norm
Yeah it was unfortunate to lose those forums but unfortunately nothing could be done to save them except pay a lot of moderators, which the parent company was evidently not prepared to do.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:37 AM   #46
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Meh, I may decide to carve out the time in my personal life to answer that, but it's not likely to be anytime soon.

In the meantime, I'll say what points they had were obscured by the overt anger, misogyny, and sweeping generalizations of not just women, but of society as a whole.
Well, welcome to the internets. That tends to happen. Happens to MRAs, happens to feminists. Left-wing, right-wing, you name it.

Old 27th March 2019, 12:02 PM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
It doesn't address those issues. It's a comic book/origin story movie where the title character is a woman. There are flashbacks where she deals with being shunted aside because of her gender, but for the most part they're the same things Steve Rogers/Captain America dealt with in his fist movie/origin story.

If you take the gender out of the story it's mostly a standard Marvel outing. Samuel L Jackson and the cat steal the movie, and that's worth the price of a ticket right there.
But but but, he was DOING THE DISHES!!!!!!!!!!! That is totally unacceptable for a man!

"And the most egregious misandering of all:

Nick Fury … is shown washing dishes.

I’m really not sure is the male gender will be able to survive such an assault."

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/20...o-some-dingus/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 11:43 AM   #48
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

TIL:

Captain Marvel has nothing to do with MRAs.

MRAs only communicate their ideas through YouTube videos.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 12:32 PM   #49
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I've seen a lot of the vitriol on YouTube and I would ascribe it much more to white nationalists than to MRAs, who I hadn't even thought of (and didn't know the acronym for). As for the movie, my lack of interest stems from not even knowing who that character even is, which is what makes some of the other movies fun, in that I can somewhat relive childhood comic fascination.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:45 AM   #50
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You get this every Marvel Movie from demented DC fanboys.
The Marvel fans vs DC Fans feud is one of the silliest things on the Internet. I say fans because Marvel and DC don't engage in this idiocy, it's a waste of time and stupid; the Marvel/DC crossovers books have been really lucrative for both companies.
I realised that social media was a mistake when I saw the Yamaha fans attack the Steinway 'fanbois' on a classical piano forum.

This crap is everywhere.
Old 29th March 2019, 03:31 AM   #51
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I realised that social media was a mistake when I saw the Yamaha fans attack the Steinway 'fanbois' on a classical piano forum.

This crap is everywhere.
Very true, but at least you could make the argument that there are arguable points about musical instrument manufacturers; sound quality and so on - with fiction it goes one more level of ridiculous.

There's a nice Dara O'Brien routine where he sums it up well. Quoting from memory, 'When you're twenty you have all these in depth conversations about films and you know which Scorcese film is the best and why, but by the time you get to forty whenever someone's talking like this and telling you why Taxi Driver is better than Goodfellas all you can see is a six year old telling you why the stegosaurus is the best dinosaur.'
Old 30th March 2019, 06:34 AM   #52
Garrison
Illuminator

On the actual topic of the thread it should be noted that even as Captain Marvel hovers close to breaking the $1 Billion Dollar mark you can still find a band of hardcore CTist Youtubers insisting it was a failure and that Marvel and Disney are on the brink of financial catastrophe.
Old 30th March 2019, 08:27 AM   #53
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
On the actual topic of the thread it should be noted that even as Captain Marvel hovers close to breaking the $1 Billion Dollar mark you can still find a band of hardcore CTist Youtubers insisting it was a failure and that Marvel and Disney are on the brink of financial catastrophe.
Loons all, YT is really a lace for fruits nuts and flakes.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 08:47 PM   #54
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
the customer review numbers dropped a couple times. they purged 53,000 'don't want to see' votes before it even came out. I guess they actually could have been all bots as that conspiracy goes.
Probably bots.

Rotten Tomatoes say they purged/scrapped the "want to see" metric and the 53,000 Captain Marvel "want to see" submissions that were done prior to the movie opening.

Quote:
As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number. (The ‘Audience Score’ percentage, for those who haven’t been following, is the percentage of all users who have rated the movie or TV show positively – that is, given it a star rating of 3.5 or higher – and is only shown once the movie or TV show is released.)
http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/...-some-changes/

Rotten Tomatoes said they got rid of showing the "want to see" metric prior to movie opening because they say people confuse it with the reviewer rating.

However, screenshots from where the story emerged show that the distorted ratings were NOT the "want to see" figures:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...e-bot-reviews/

I'm going with bots.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:15 AM   #55
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yeah these incel MRA types seem to think their opinions are shared by way more people than they actually are.
To get back to the topic of the success of Captain Marvel, I think this is the key point to be taken. The MRA/MGTOW/incel types, despite having very loud voices and seeming agreement among their ranks, don't really speak for many people. Their intense rage makes them very prolific, especially online where it is easy to crank out vitriol and spam reviews, but their numbers are not large. Whatever grievance they have against Captain Marvel is inconsequential compared to the huge general audience that the movie is aimed at. The fact that back bench IP's from Marvel can turn massive profits is an indication of the vitality of super hero movies and no gaggle of MRA's is going to change that.

This strikes me as another small episode in the nerd culture wars. The audience for comic books, video games, and other traditional "nerd" media has grown considerably. It is no longer solely the fare of young, dweeby guys, but rather appeals to a more general audience. Women, non-nerds, and adults are all consuming these types of media. In addition to huge piles of money, this larger, general audience brings different expectations and tastes than the original, more niche group. The more toxic element of the niche group react very negatively to the changes that have occurred in this community.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st April 2019 at 10:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 10:45 AM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

Seems like we're not talking about the Box Office anymore.

Old 1st April 2019, 10:57 AM   #57
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Seems like we're not talking about the Box Office anymore.
No, we are certainly talking outside the box.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:11 AM   #58
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
Well, I can't argue with any of that. Fortunately I don't need to as appeals to popularity are fallacious; if they weren't then Donald Trump would be a great president and Miley Cyrus would be a great singer.

You seem to understand this, however, since you don't actually say that MRAs are wrong about anything, just that nobody likes them and there aren't many of them (which is a fantastic argument, well done - give yourself a pat on the back and 100 bonus skeptic points ).
Well, if you take the OP, it seems they were wrong about Captain Marvel. The claim has been made by the conspiratorial minded MGTOW types that this movie is secretly a flop, with manipulated ticket sales and farmed reviews. This is the conspiracy forum, not the social issues forum. The conspiracy that the movie is a secret flop is the subject.

My point about popularity is that MGTOW and MRA teeth gnashing have little to do with reality for the majority of the population, much to their chagrin. This movie is absolutely crushing it, despite their crank ideas. Turns out, 4chan and reddit spamming doesn't actually reflect real life. Go figure.

Captain Marvel is approaching the $1,000,000,000 mark for worldwide box office. Flop indeed.

What a strange little conspiracy theory, so easily and rapidly debunked.
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:40 AM   #59
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Well, if you take the OP, it seems they were wrong about Captain Marvel.
Fair enough. As I say, I don't care about Captain Marvel or superhero movies in general. You're now saying 'MGTOW and MRA' which is progress in at least you have accepted that the two groups are not the same thing. This is what I was attempting to clarify from the start. Also you made a general statement about nobody caring what MRAs say, not just what they may or may not say about a movie - this is perfectly true but I get the impression that the horrific tragedy of this fact has escaped you as it has definitely escaped others in this thread. Could be wrong about that.

You're right - nobody cares about these issues. That's the problem.

If the OP and the person who responded with the definition of MRAs as people who want women to go back to the 1950s etc. had been talking about MGTOWs I wouldn't have commented as I'm not involved in the online MGTOW community despite technically being one. This is not true of the MRA community; I know a great deal about it and I wanted to clarify that it was not fair to lump MRAs in with the most extreme elements of the MGTOW community as if they were representative of anything other than the most extreme elements of the MGTOW community. Same with incels.

It's like the conspiracy theorists who turn up here and tell everyone that they believe everything the mainstream media tells them, that they think the government never lies and that conspiracies can never happen. When that happens people start explaining why that isn't the case, don't they? That's all I've been trying to do. I don't think I should be blamed for the length and tediousness of this derail; all my efforts at presenting evidence were met with handwaving and dismissal while my inviting specific questions met with crickets - surely you're not arguing that I have to just accept that because to counter it is veering off the topic?

And what else is there to talk about anyway? As you say, the conspiracy theory is easily debunked, so the conversation as to the motivation for the conspiracy theory is surely on topic.
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:07 AM   #60
carlitos
"más divertido"

Well, I can't argue with any of that. Fortunately I don't need to as appeals to popularity are fallacious; if they weren't then Donald Trump would be a great president and Miley Cyrus would be a great singer.
In a discussion of the box office revenue of a certain movie, appeals to popularity certainly have their place.

I'll fourth or fifth the suggestion of your creating an on-topic discussion elsewhere. Having someone personally familiar with MRA etc. would make an interesting conversation in social issues.

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd April 2019 at 09:09 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:46 PM   #61
Wolrab
Illuminator

I'm glad the misogynists were so overwhelmingly successful. They single handedly made this film lose hundreds of dollars in box office receipts.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 04:42 AM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

How on EARTH do you know that? How on earth do you know that when you haven't looked into any of the content yourself?

I'll tell you how - it's called assumption. It's called 'argument from ignorance'.

See above.

See above. And would they be more or less right if they weren't anonymous and didn't only post online? If the former then look up Karen Straughan, Bettina Arndt, Erin Pizzey, Ally Fogg, the International Conference on Men's Issues ( http://icmi2019.icmi.info/ )...why am I bothering?

Who said it did? The point is that it does not make their membership automatically inclusive either, yet you don't seem to have so much of a problem with that argument.

And, again, stop conflating all these different groups into one thing. For example, as I've explained, incels and MRAs are pretty much opposites.
I'm guessing that the International Conference on Men's Issues, Ally Fogg, or anyone else with a shred of respectability is spreading a conspiracy theory about Captain Marvel or spamming the internet with misogynistic reviews. There may be respectable elements of the greater MRA movement, but they certainly aren't involved with any of that nonsense. This kind of internet trolling, brigading, and open hostility comes from the backalleys of the internet where intellectual rigor is not the norm.

The toxic 4chan-style contingent of the MRA movement is very loud and very prominent. Acting like some stuffy, respectable conference dedicated to men's issues is the true public face of the MRA movement is laughable. While they write thoughtful op-eds every once in a while, internet brigades are spamming the web with toxic trash. Every once in a while some idiot gets their courage up and goes out on a women killing spree. Anything respectable coming out of the MRA movement is just pissing into a hurricane of rape threats, misogyny, and pure vile.

It's a shame whatever legitimate point these types have to make are totally undercut by the nihilist, trolling wing acting out of pure id.

The MRA movement cannot divorce itself from these malicious actors. Where do these conspiracy theories come from? What about the coordinated campaign to review bomb Rotten Tomatoes? The deluge of misogyny, violent rhetoric, and toxicity?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th April 2019 at 04:47 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:38 AM   #63
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningMoved all of the posts not about "Captain Marvel" and the negative reviews from certain quarters off to AAH. And further discussion that is not on that topic will be actioned appropriately.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:53 AM   #64
bknight
Graduate Poster

As of 8 Apr 2019 gross sales were $374,745,790 in the us alone.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...arvel2018a.htm

ETA in the world $1,038,845,686
Old 10th April 2019, 12:09 PM   #65
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

As far as I can tell, popularity of this conspiracy dried up shorty after the movie actually released and it was obvious it was selling tickets like crazy, just like any big Marvel movie would.

The removal of the negative reviews of the movie from Rotten Tomatoes seemed to have been the seed for the conspiracy that the movie was going to flop.
Old 10th April 2019, 12:31 PM   #66
bknight
Graduate Poster

As far as I can tell, popularity of this conspiracy dried up shorty after the movie actually released and it was obvious it was selling tickets like crazy, just like any big Marvel movie would.

The removal of the negative reviews of the movie from Rotten Tomatoes seemed to have been the seed for the conspiracy that the movie was going to flop.
Whatever caused the conspiracy, it is fairly obvious it is indeed false.

I'll still wait until it is presented by the cable networks.
Old 10th April 2019, 12:39 PM   #67
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Whatever caused the conspiracy, it is fairly obvious it is indeed false.

I'll still wait until it is presented by the cable networks.
Rotten Tomatoes removed a lot of negative reviews that were flooding the site prior to the release. They claimed they did this because these were obviously a bad faith attempt to smear the movie by people who hadn't actually seen the film, which goes against the entire purpose of audience reviews.

Conspiracy theorists interpreted this as an attempt to cover up the very real unpopularity of the film. Claims of empty theatres soon followed, though this didn't last long since the movie was raking in cash left and right.
Old 10th April 2019, 03:01 PM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Norm
And the IMDB was not nearly as bad as some of the comic book movie specific websites...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 03:03 PM   #69
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And they have made Danvers a major selling point for "Avengers:Endgame".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 05:11 PM   #70
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Is anyone checking if all those videos predicting the flop of the film on Youtube are now gone? If they have any sense they would delete them to save face but these are not the sanest people. The fact that an innocuous blurb about diversity in film critics circles was blown up into a movement to obviate white men shows that.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:01 PM   #71
bknight
Graduate Poster

Is anyone checking if all those videos predicting the flop of the film on Youtube are now gone? If they have any sense they would delete them to save face but these are not the sanest people. The fact that an innocuous blurb about diversity in film critics circles was blown up into a movement to obviate white men shows that.
Personally, no, but I never checked them when they were up and running. Assuming they have been taken down. YT is a nest of disinformation of all sorts and I try to avoid them.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:14 AM   #72
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Just for kicks (and because I am in limbo waiting on a roofer and a supplier to contact me) I watched the first video that came up on YT when you put in 'Captain Marvel will flop'.

This guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMRCymLMB54

Now in fairness, he does not predict a flop, but thinks it will be very mediocre at the boxoffice by Marvel standards.

I'll overview his 'reasoning'

1) No Demand.

Here the guy goes into some retro-reasoning that since Captain Marvel was never a 'heavy' in the Marvel lineup there is no demand. But this ignores the fact that outside of Marvel fans a lot of their heroes aren't exactly well-known. While Iron Man and Thor had their own lines, they weren't exactly household names. And, also, Ant-Man, anyone?

Oh, and of course the only reason that Marvel still sells CM comics is because they want to push their SJW agenda. No, seriously, he outright says that. Not even code-words.

2) No Fun

Welp. Missed that slow pitch, didn't he?

3) Lousy Trailer.

Didn't work for him, so obviously it failed for everyone.

4) Brie Larson cannot carry the movie.

She didn't have to.

5) Getting Woke means you go broke.

Uh-huh. Guy complains for about 1/3 of this video about Marvel 'being woke' and how it is killing them (it actually isn't)

The comments, of course, take him to the cleaners and do him like yesterday's laundry One comment says this guy made reply videos alleging box office conspiracies but i wasn't about to go looking for it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:23 AM   #73
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Uh-huh. Guy complains for about 1/3 of this video about Marvel 'being woke' and how it is killing them (it actually isn't)

The comments, of course, take him to the cleaners and do him like yesterday's laundry One comment says this guy made reply videos alleging box office conspiracies but i wasn't about to go looking for it.
I think that's the core of all these culture wars, be it Marvel movies with female leads or Gamergate. Nerd culture is mainstream now and is big business. Gone are the days of narrow-casting to a niche, mostly homogeneous audience of nerdy white guys. Comic book movies, video games, and other traditionally nerdy media have wider appeal and will be marketed to a wider audience.

Some angry white dudes have taken extreme exception to this change. The problem is, Marvel might be going woke, but it's never been further from being broke. It must suck to be wrong so hard.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th April 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:44 AM   #74
bknight
Graduate Poster

Just for kicks (and because I am in limbo waiting on a roofer and a supplier to contact me) I watched the first video that came up on YT when you put in 'Captain Marvel will flop'.

This guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMRCymLMB54

Now in fairness, he does not predict a flop, but thinks it will be very mediocre at the boxoffice by Marvel standards.

I'll overview his 'reasoning'

1) No Demand.

Here the guy goes into some retro-reasoning that since Captain Marvel was never a 'heavy' in the Marvel lineup there is no demand. But this ignores the fact that outside of Marvel fans a lot of their heroes aren't exactly well-known. While Iron Man and Thor had their own lines, they weren't exactly household names. And, also, Ant-Man, anyone?

Oh, and of course the only reason that Marvel still sells CM comics is because they want to push their SJW agenda. No, seriously, he outright says that. Not even code-words.

2) No Fun

Welp. Missed that slow pitch, didn't he?

3) Lousy Trailer.

Didn't work for him, so obviously it failed for everyone.

4) Brie Larson cannot carry the movie.

She didn't have to.

I'm amazed that you watched the video.
Old 11th April 2019, 09:51 AM   #75
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Thankfully, it was short compared to the usual types who make rants about anything seen as SJW. Usually they cannot keep it under 20 minutes.

The innumeration of 'points' also meant I could slog through it.

Plus it helps to know that he was and is demonstrably, objectively wrong.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 10:12 AM   #76
Garrison
Illuminator

You fail to understand the mentality, many of them didn't retreat, they doubled down. A lot of the same Youtube channels have been feverishly churning out videos explaining how those box offices numbers are all fake.
Old 11th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #77
bknight
Graduate Poster

Thankfully, it was short compared to the usual types who make rants about anything seen as SJW. Usually they cannot keep it under 20 minutes.

The innumeration of 'points' also meant I could slog through it.

Plus it helps to know that he was and is demonstrably, objectively wrong.
As you may conclude I didn't click a length, but thanks for the update, did you put on your tin foil hat for protection.
Old 11th April 2019, 11:09 AM   #78
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Some angry white dudes have taken extreme exception to this change. The problem is, Marvel might be going woke, but it's never been further from being broke. It must suck to be wrong so hard.

It's a good example of cognitive bias. This movie has to be a flop; after all, no one he knows has gone to see it!
Old 11th April 2019, 11:33 AM   #79
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's a good example of cognitive bias. This movie has to be a flop; after all, no one he knows has gone to see it!
Yeah, just like the myth that 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. I know hundreds of people, but only a few of them are Chinese!
Old 11th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #80
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, just like the myth that 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. I know hundreds of people, but only a few of them are Chinese!
You forgot to add after your post.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories