ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2019, 03:08 PM   #81
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, just like the myth that 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. I know hundreds of people, but only a few of them are Chinese!

I know hundreds of people and not a single of them is Chinese! I only see them now and then on TV, so they're probably something Stanley Kubrick made up!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 06:15 PM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, just like the myth that 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. I know hundreds of people, but only a few of them are Chinese!
The last organisation I worked in, it was closer to 2 in 5.

A little more on topic, I take it there are no boobs shown in the movie. Because the guys hating on it would be all in favor in that case.
Old 13th April 2019, 06:40 AM   #83
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The last organisation I worked in, it was closer to 2 in 5.

A little more on topic, I take it there are no boobs shown in the movie. Because the guys hating on it would be all in favor in that case.

I note that at first it seemed odd that the same men that were hating on Captain Marvel just loved Alita: Battle Angel. Then I started reading their comments on it and it soon became clear they were really in love with the idea of a sexy young woman with the naivete of a child.

So they will get behind a woman that kicks ass but she has to be young and potentially easily manipulated into sex.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #84
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker

The worldwide box office for Captain Marvel now exceeds 1 billion US$, putting it in the top 30.
Old 13th April 2019, 10:30 AM   #85
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Halcyon Dayz View Post
The worldwide box office for Captain Marvel now exceeds 1 billion US$, putting it in the top 30.
A real dud
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 10:32 AM   #86
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Halcyon Dayz View Post
If not for the anti-feminist you tubers it would have been several hundred dollars over a billion.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:49 AM   #87
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
A real dud
Heaven's Gate better watch out, there's a new top flop in town!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #88
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
If not for the anti-feminist you tubers it would have been several hundred dollars over a billion.
Ah, yes. The Star Wars: The Force Awakens excuse.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #89
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Heaven's Gate better watch out, there's a new top flop in town!
Ishtar!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:34 PM   #90
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Ishtar!
Beat me to it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:42 PM   #91
carlitos
"más divertido"

Honorable mention goes to the Adventures of Pluto Nash. And Gigli.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:06 PM   #92
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
YOU goobers????
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:09 PM   #93
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah it was unfortunate to lose those forums but unfortunately nothing could be done to save them except pay a lot of moderators, which the parent company was evidently not prepared to do.
I truly hated the loss of the comment sections on IMDB. They were as much fun as here was!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:13 PM   #94
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
TIL:

Captain Marvel has nothing to do with MRAs.

MRAs only communicate their ideas through YouTube videos.
Are MRAs a new type of MRE?? Enquirer minds want to know!!!!!
Old 21st April 2019, 01:55 AM   #95
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

By some peculiar co-incidence, I was having cravings for C rations yesterday...

And no, MRA is not a new kind of MRE.

(Meal, Ready to Eat) for the TLA challenged...
Old 21st April 2019, 04:21 AM   #96
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
By some peculiar co-incidence, I was having cravings for C rations yesterday...

And no, MRA is not a new kind of MRE.

(Meal, Ready to Eat) for the TLA challenged...
Man its been forty years since I've had those. They were ok at the time, but I'm do not crave them myself.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 08:54 AM   #97
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

"According to Australian pop culture website Pedestrian, an anonymous user posted their own edited version of the latest Avengers film to torrent websites (PRIDE won't be linking to it) with most of the scenes featuring women (most notably, Brie Larson as Captain Marvel), people of color, and "gay ****" all cut out."

https://www.pride.com/geek/2019/5/16/fanboys-edited-avengers-endgame-remove-brie-larson-gay-****
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 09:35 AM   #98
Armitage72
Illuminator

There was a webcomic that came out shortly after it was announced that Michael B. Jordan had been cast as Johnny Storm in the most recent Fantastic Four movie. A man walked into the toy store in which the comic was set and started ranting at two of the employees, one of whom was black.
"Don't you see? If Johnny Storm is black, then Sue Storm has to be black too!"
"So?"
"So, you can't have two black people in the same place at the same time! It's totally unrealistic!"
At that point, a second black employee walked over and asked if he needed help. He stared in horror, and then ran out of the store, screaming.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:34 PM   #99
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a webcomic that came out shortly after it was announced that Michael B. Jordan had been cast as Johnny Storm in the most recent Fantastic Four movie. A man walked into the toy store in which the comic was set and started ranting at two of the employees, one of whom was black.
"Don't you see? If Johnny Storm is black, then Sue Storm has to be black too!"
"So?"
"So, you can't have two black people in the same place at the same time! It's totally unrealistic!"
At that point, a second black employee walked over and asked if he needed help. He stared in horror, and then ran out of the store, screaming.
Ironic that both actors who played Johnny Storm in Fox's two failed attempts at a Fantastic Four franchise made a huge, critically praised comeback in the MCU...Christ Evans as Captain America,Micheal P Jordan as Killraven in "Black Panther".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:11 AM   #100
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
"According to Australian pop culture website Pedestrian, an anonymous user posted their own edited version of the latest Avengers film to torrent websites (PRIDE won't be linking to it) with most of the scenes featuring women (most notably, Brie Larson as Captain Marvel), people of color, and "gay ****" all cut out."

https://www.pride.com/geek/2019/5/16/fanboys-edited-avengers-endgame-remove-brie-larson-gay-****

I found the social media post where this guy explains his cuts and among other things he thinks women should only ever be moms and homemakers so he cut out every instance of a woman doing anything even remotely interesting. He has a particular hatred of Brie Larson who is now the MRA hatesink.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:24 AM   #101
Tolls
Illuminator

There's a word for someone like that.
Indeed, there's several.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 05:29 AM   #102
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I found the social media post where this guy explains his cuts and among other things he thinks women should only ever be moms and homemakers so he cut out every instance of a woman doing anything even remotely interesting. He has a particular hatred of Brie Larson who is now the MRA hatesink.

Back in the good old days, Hollywood understood how the world was supposed to work. Female characters were either teachers, nurses, or secretaries, and only until they found a husband, at which point they would resign to become proper housewives. The studios have lost sight of how things are supposed to be.
(Sarcasm, obviously)
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:00 AM   #103
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

How unsurprisingly pathetic.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories