ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th April 2019, 12:19 PM   #401
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Only the type of people who fell bad about other people being allowed to marry same-sex partners, have an abortion or -gasp- refuse to join their religion.

Most people are glad to know that people in their country probably won't starve.
Old 14th April 2019, 02:32 PM   #402
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Only the type of people who fell bad about other people being allowed to marry same-sex partners, have an abortion or -gasp- refuse to join their religion.

Most people are glad to know that people in their country probably won't starve.
Is starving really an issue among the poor? I thought we were facing an obesity crisis.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 03:42 PM   #403
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Is starving really an issue among the poor? I thought we were facing an obesity crisis.
"Food uncertainty."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:35 PM   #404
deadrose
Illuminator

During the years I was raising my kids alone, we often depended on food banks. The usual scenario was getting a small amount of canned tuna and/or peanut butter, some canned or fresh vegetables, depending on season, and all the starch you could carry. Bread, rice, pasta and stale doughnuts & pastries were usually unlimited.

You may not be literally starving on a diet like that, but you can certainly end up with multiple dietary deficiencies and fat at the same time, especially since for half the year the canned vegetables are mostly pumpkin puree and the canned fruits are cranberry jelly. Food banks are drowning in that stuff.

And that's in an area where you can visit the food bank every week. Some areas you're limited to 2-4 visits a year.

Last edited by deadrose; 14th April 2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added 3rd paragraph
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:10 PM   #405
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Food uncertainty."
I live here:

https://wreg.com/2017/10/06/memphis-...ate-in-nation/
Quote:
The 2016 poverty rate is 26.9 % and the child poverty rate is even worse at 44.7 % in Memphis.

"What that means and I want you to think about it, is that when you see a child walking down the street, when you see a child, there`s a 50-50 chance, there is yes, no, that that child is living in poverty."
And some of the kids in the city are actually malnourished to the point where you can see their ribs. The parents of those kids are also way too skinny.
Old 14th April 2019, 05:11 PM   #406
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
During the years I was raising my kids alone, we often depended on food banks. The usual scenario was getting a small amount of canned tuna and/or peanut butter, some canned or fresh vegetables, depending on season, and all the starch you could carry. Bread, rice, pasta and stale doughnuts & pastries were usually unlimited.

You may not be literally starving on a diet like that, but you can certainly end up with multiple dietary deficiencies and fat at the same time, especially since for half the year the canned vegetables are mostly pumpkin puree and the canned fruits are cranberry jelly. Food banks are drowning in that stuff.

And that's in an area where you can visit the food bank every week. Some areas you're limited to 2-4 visits a year.
The food banks here are just perpetually empty, because of the extraordinary poverty level.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:58 AM   #407
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Lazy ass? Strawman, surely? A judgmental begging-the-issue strawman at that?

Who are we to judge another's motivations?

UBI is simply a form of income redistribution, ideally flowing from the top to the bottom. It is no more than an additional support to those that might find it of use.

If some choose to use it to sustain themselves and not work, well, I can appreciate an economic argument against that stance (I suppose it boils down to a projection of how many might choose to opt out), but not a moral one.
I view it slightly different not about income distribution from top to bottom but preventing or at least slowing down of income flowing bottom to the top. At the moment our systems work by wealth flowing from the bottom upwards. (If you accept the metaphor that more wealth represent the "UP").
Old 15th April 2019, 09:50 AM   #408
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I view it slightly different not about income distribution from top to bottom but preventing or at least slowing down of income flowing bottom to the top. At the moment our systems work by wealth flowing from the bottom upwards. (If you accept the metaphor that more wealth represent the "UP").
"Upwards redistribution" is what it's actually called in the academic literature.

Scholar.

Last edited by kellyb; 15th April 2019 at 09:51 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events