ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th April 2019, 11:29 PM   #121
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
WHO?


WHICH shooters? No one has even been named.

Also, of course there are moderates and extremists. Not all people under a label are the same. Duh.
Let's start with Elliot Rodger.

ETA: Oh, sorry. Just saw that Elliot Rodger has been no true scotsman'd. Let's go with Alek Missanian.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 10th April 2019 at 11:33 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:42 PM   #122
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Let's go with Alek Missanian.
He was an incel.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sian-1.4632435

Quote:
In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term used by some groups to mean "involuntarily celibate."
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:56 PM   #123
pharphis
Master Poster
 
pharphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,028
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Let's start with Elliot Rodger.

ETA: Oh, sorry. Just saw that Elliot Rodger has been no true scotsman'd. Let's go with Alek Missanian.
You can't dismiss a rebuttal as an alleged "no true scotsman" when there is literally 0 association except that manufactured by the media and propagated by feminists.

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
First of all, hi, I self-identify as a feminist and I think you're cool. Back when I first learned you thought of yourself as a MRA, I started kind of watching you, and saw that not all MRAs are evil creeps. Just most of them on social media who reach out to feminists for "dialogue". There are lots, and lots, and lots, of incredibly toxic self-identifying feminists out there, as well. I stay the hell away from online feminist social circles for the most part. As with all things, MRAs and feminists both need to get tf out of their echo chambers and interact with ideological diversity at places like here more, I think.

Anyway, the redpill reddit boards, WOW. "marriedredpill" is...dark stuff. I lurk there, because it's like a horror movie, and I love horror. I like to tell myself that it can't be real, and these people must be BSing themselves and everyone else. Maybe they're basement dwellers, living out an elaborate fantasy life. But I really don't know. That is some freaky stuff, though.
I'm not very cool at all, but thanks! In case it isn't clear I don't auto-hate you simply because you're a feminist, but I'm sure you've noticed I reject most feminist talking points. I'm kinda curious how long ago I self-identified on this forum as MRA. A year? 2? It's hard to keep track.

I'm not familiar with that subreddit but I suspect it's miserable lol. Can I assume it's similar to r/deadbedrooms? (again name might be slightly off on this)

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Sexual dimorphism is a fact of nature beyond dispute, but the "truth"/reality and evidence is a little trickier on the other one, as far as I can tell.

For example:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...4D169DCE447D6C
Interesting. Women however have higher educational achievement in general (even 20 years ago, though I believe it was closer to equal - depends on country I suppose but I don't have those figures handy), and "smarter/more educated" isn't necessarily a part of hypergamy (though I would suspect correlation, all other things equal*). Is average level of education accounted for in this? I'm not sure how that would best be done (since education isn't some linear thing AFAIK where years = money), so wondering if you know any more info on that. I'm not a stats guy (or experimental design)

*After all, better education = better income, on average.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:09 AM   #124
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
You can't dismiss a rebuttal as an alleged "no true scotsman" when there is literally 0 association except that manufactured by the media and propagated by feminists.
I don't think many people agree with your assertion. I certainly don't. Incels are a subset of the MRM.

As I said before, you can distance yourself from them, but that requires speaking out every time there's an attack and public demonstrations. Anything less will lead the rest of us to think you're all extremists.

I notice that MGTOW is getting a white washing in this thread as well. Let's just say, MGTOW is toxic as ****.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 11th April 2019 at 12:11 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:12 AM   #125
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,749
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Whether or not this is true depends on why these things so male-dominated.
Because they are traditionally male roles and it was not considered acceptable for women to go into them until about 30-40 years ago, and we're only slowly getting to see that change in the upper parts of the jobs now.

You have to understand that even into the 1970's here, women were expected to become a Teacher, Secretary, Nurse, Stewardess, Phone Operator, Bank Teller, or stay to home and watch the kids as a house wife.

They were not allowed to open a bank account or to get a mortgage or any form of financing without the permission of their husband or father.

The idea of them becoming a Lawyer, Politician, Police Officer, Religious Minister, Company CEO, or even an Airline Pilot, Electrician, Plumber, or Mechanic was generally laughable and mostly unheard of unless the woman was following in her father's footsteps.

It takes time to change those attitudes to where women are accepted in those professions to the point where they feel comfortable actually making inroads, and then to get to the top of them requires overcoming a whole heap more roadblocks on the way.

It requires a lot of time as a court lawyer to get to be a Judge. For politicians, while the more liberal parties are putting forward more woman, the more conservative parties are lagging behind considerably. The Police are getting more female Officers and they are rising through the ranks. Protestant Churches are accepting Female ministers, though the Catholic church is still male only. This all takes time to achieve, so we are seeing the first fruits of the changes that started 30 odd years ago, but we still have a long way to go to see equality in these professions.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)


Last edited by PhantomWolf; 11th April 2019 at 12:19 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:23 AM   #126
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I'm not very cool at all, but thanks! In case it isn't clear I don't auto-hate you simply because you're a feminist, but I'm sure you've noticed I reject most feminist talking points. I'm kinda curious how long ago I self-identified on this forum as MRA. A year? 2? It's hard to keep track.

I'm not familiar with that subreddit but I suspect it's miserable lol. Can I assume it's similar to r/deadbedrooms? (again name might be slightly off on this)
Yeah, I noticed that you operate on "benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise", which is why I think you're cool. I don't remember how long, either. I've just thought of you for at least several months as "that guy who proves that not all MRAs are creeps".

Re: subreddits. No, married red pill is much, much, much worse.

Lurkers, do not open this if you are under 18:

They glamorize and practice and say they use the "dark triad" from psychology (Machiavellianism, Psychopathy, Narcissism) to take total control over their wives. They're scarier than incels if they're for real. I still hope they're just basement dwellers with issues.
https://www.reddit.com/r/marriedredp...d_psychopathy/


Quote:
Interesting. Women however have higher educational achievement in general (even 20 years ago, though I believe it was closer to equal - depends on country I suppose but I don't have those figures handy), and "smarter/more educated" isn't necessarily a part of hypergamy (though I would suspect correlation, all other things equal*). Is average level of education accounted for in this? I'm not sure how that would best be done (since education isn't some linear thing AFAIK where years = money), so wondering if you know any more info on that. I'm not a stats guy (or experimental design)

*After all, better education = better income, on average.
I'm not sure, either. It looks to me like in times of extreme societal inequality combined with resource scarcity, women default to wanting a wealthy prince charming to come save them, and are even willing to share him with other wives. But when inequality is low and resources aren't scarce, the tendency might completely go away. And obviously if inequality is very, very low, the effect of the tendency can't exist, almost by definition. But that's just my speculation/hypothesis after having dug around in the scientific literature some.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.

Last edited by kellyb; 11th April 2019 at 12:24 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:28 AM   #127
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think many people agree with your assertion. I certainly don't. Incels are a subset of the MRM.
Incels are overtly a DEATH CULT.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:29 AM   #128
pharphis
Master Poster
 
pharphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,028
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think many people agree with your assertion. I certainly don't. Incels are a subset of the MRM.

As I said before, you can distance yourself from them, but that requires speaking out every time there's an attack and public demonstrations. Anything less will lead the rest of us to think you're all extremists.

I notice that MGTOW is getting a white washing in this thread as well. Let's just say, MGTOW is toxic as ****.
Nope. Frankly, I will say quite blatantly that I think almost anyone who believes that incels are a subset of the MRM are ignorant or are relying on tribalistic 'othering'.

Q: Do ALL incels contribute to the MRM? ie volunteering, finanically, spreading information, etc.?
A: No, therefore they are not a subset.

Is there overlap? Yes, some incels are MRAs and some MRAs are incels.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:31 AM   #129
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Nope. Frankly, I will say quite blatantly that I think almost anyone who believes that incels are a subset of the MRM are ignorant or are relying on tribalistic 'othering'.

Q: Do ALL incels contribute to the MRM? ie volunteering, finanically, spreading information, etc.?
A: No, therefore they are not a subset.

Is there overlap? Yes, some incels are MRAs and some MRAs are incels.
I understand that you believe this. You are wrong.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:39 AM   #130
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I understand that you believe this. You are wrong.
Do you believe that incels are overtly a DEATH CULT?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:04 AM   #131
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Do you believe that incels are overtly a DEATH CULT?
Yes.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:19 AM   #132
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes.
Ok. See, I think relating pharphis to the incel murderers is like relating Contrapoints to the pedophile priests. It's just bad "social taxonomy" (a phrase I just made up, but every time I think I've invented a new phrase, google usually says someone else has had the same thought. lol) .

There's something unscientific there. Incels do not care about their legal rights whatsoever. Nor do they care about men as a group. Nor do they feel like they need to be willing to stand up for themselves. That is not where their minds are at at all. So it's really not fair or correct to lump pharphis in with them as part of any over-reaching group.

In taxonomic rank, it's not the case that pharphis and Alek Missanian are different species under the genus MRM. Incels aren't even a part of the MRM, for real.


eta: Aaaaaaand, once again I made up a phrase that someone else (or a lot of other people) thought of first.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.

Last edited by kellyb; 11th April 2019 at 01:22 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:28 AM   #133
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Ok. See, I think relating pharphis to the incel murderers is like relating Contrapoints to the pedophile priests. It's just bad "social taxonomy" (a phrase I just made up, but every time I think I've invented a new phrase, google usually says someone else has had the same thought. lol) .

There's something unscientific there. Incels do not care about their legal rights whatsoever. Nor do they care about men as a group. Nor do they feel like they need to be willing to stand up for themselves. That is not where their minds are at at all. So it's really not fair or correct to lump pharphis in with them as part of any over-reaching group.

In taxonomic rank, it's not the case that pharphis and Alek Missanian are different species under the genus MRM. Incels aren't even a part of the MRM, for real.


eta: Aaaaaaand, once again I made up a phrase that someone else (or a lot of other people) thought of first.
My point is that Incels are a subset of the MRM, same way as Jihadis are a subset of Islam. We often hear that all Muslims need to constantly make amense and distance themselves from the extremists, lest we think they are also extremists. I'm simply applying that logic to MRAs.

I don't agree with the logic. I'm making a comparison for those that do, because I know that in a Venn diagram, MRAs and Islamophobic alt-righters overlap quite a bit, which is why many high profile MRAs, including all of the MGTOW-gurus are alt-right.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 11th April 2019 at 01:30 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:40 AM   #134
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
My point is that Incels are a subset of the MRM, same way as Jihadis are a subset of Islam. We often hear that all Muslims need to constantly make amense and distance themselves from the extremists, lest we think they are also extremists. I'm simply applying that logic to MRAs.

I don't agree with the logic. I'm making a comparison for those that do, because I know that in a Venn diagram, MRAs and Islamophobic alt-righters overlap quite a bit, which is why many high profile MRAs, including all of the MGTOW-gurus are alt-right.
How are incels into "men's rights" when they don't care about their rights?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:51 AM   #135
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
How are incels into "men's rights" when they don't care about their rights?
They do. They are all about men's rights. Specifically, men's right to have sex with beautiful women, whether or not the women want to.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:52 AM   #136
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,465
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post

Q: Do ALL incels contribute to the MRM? ie volunteering, finanically, spreading information, etc.?
A: No, therefore they are not a subset.
This is a somewhat strange definition being used. I don't think you need to actively contribute to a movement to be part of it.

Not all Republicans volunteer or fund the Republican Party. Some probably don't even vote for them. But they are still Republicans.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:54 AM   #137
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,063
Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
FULL DISCLOSURE: The only source I have for the 'Women make up 80% of consumer decisions' is that exact quote from an interview with Jordan Peterson. I should have said something like, 'If Jordan Peterson is correct then women make 80% of consumer decisions'.
Well that just reduced the odds of it being true significantly.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:03 AM   #138
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
They do. They are all about men's rights. Specifically, men's right to have sex with beautiful women, whether or not the women want to.
You are really reaching here. Rapists are MRM/MRA?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:07 AM   #139
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well that just reduced the odds of it being true significantly.
"Consumer decisions" sounds like the weekly spending budget for a household, so we're probably talking about the massive power of being blessed with being tasked with grocery shopping and things like that. Wow, do I feel liberated!
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:17 AM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,063
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Because they are traditionally male roles and it was not considered acceptable for women to go into them until about 30-40 years ago, and we're only slowly getting to see that change in the upper parts of the jobs now.
My point was: at which point do we consider that perhaps the percentages have reached their optimal result? Or do we just assume that it should be 50-50 everywhere?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:32 AM   #141
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You are really reaching here. Rapists are MRM/MRA?
Don't think all rapists are, and not all incels are rapists. They do want to legalize rape tho. Incels that is.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 11th April 2019 at 03:33 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:56 AM   #142
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,465
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point was: at which point do we consider that perhaps the percentages have reached their optimal result? Or do we just assume that it should be 50-50 everywhere?
When we appear to have exhausted obvious or practical ways to increase them.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:12 AM   #143
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Don't think all rapists are, and not all incels are rapists. They do want to legalize rape tho. Incels that is.
See, and that's another way in which they're totally different and not really related to MRAs. The only commonality is rampant sexism within their communities. A vast majority of sexists are not pro-rape.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:14 AM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,063
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
When we appear to have exhausted obvious or practical ways to increase them.
Well then here's the problem: how does one know if they've been exhausted or if a gender imbalance stems from things we could or should change? That's why we have to look beyond a mere discrepancy in numbers, and not assume that such a discrepancy automatically means there's an underlying problem.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:14 AM   #145
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point was: at which point do we consider that perhaps the percentages have reached their optimal result? Or do we just assume that it should be 50-50 everywhere?
Nobody knows yet. No, 50-50 is not and should not be the baseline assumption.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:17 AM   #146
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
When we appear to have exhausted obvious or practical ways to increase them.
Not even. We need solid parental leave policies (for both mothers and fathers equally) and a bunch of other things.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #147
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
See, and that's another way in which they're totally different and not really related to MRAs. The only commonality is rampant sexism within their communities. A vast majority of sexists are not pro-rape.
Just like the difference between extremist Jihadis and Muslims is violence. That doesn't make Jihadis any less Muslim. It just makes other Muslims not responsible for what Jihadis do.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #148
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,749
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point was: at which point do we consider that perhaps the percentages have reached their optimal result? Or do we just assume that it should be 50-50 everywhere?
In the particular jobs we're talking about there is no reason that women can't perform the role at the same levels as a man, so certainly seeing 45-55% of the work force in those jobs would seem to be a logical outcome based on the population mix. For instance, in Law schools, women are now outnumbering the men, so there is certainly no reason that they shouldn't be able to go on and have careers that lead them to becoming Judges in equal or even greater numbers than men.

Same with Politics. More and more women are becoming involved, and, particularly with our system, there are no excuses for parties not to take them seriously and bring them into Parliament.

In jobs where the work tends to favour one gender over the others, then one would expect to see higher numbers of that gender in that job, but there you make sure that all the systems are in place to allow the others to take part is they want and then it's up to them is they do.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)


Last edited by PhantomWolf; 11th April 2019 at 04:34 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:33 AM   #149
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 2,086
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Ok. See, I think relating pharphis to the incel murderers is like relating Contrapoints to the pedophile priests. It's just bad "social taxonomy" (a phrase I just made up, but every time I think I've invented a new phrase, google usually says someone else has had the same thought. lol) .

There's something unscientific there. Incels do not care about their legal rights whatsoever. Nor do they care about men as a group. Nor do they feel like they need to be willing to stand up for themselves. That is not where their minds are at at all. So it's really not fair or correct to lump pharphis in with them as part of any over-reaching group.

In taxonomic rank, it's not the case that pharphis and Alek Missanian are different species under the genus MRM. Incels aren't even a part of the MRM, for real.


eta: Aaaaaaand, once again I made up a phrase that someone else (or a lot of other people) thought of first.
Your point about social taxonomy is useful. Sure, incels believe in a series of extremely hopeless and violent ideas that make them pretty distinct from moderate MRAs. I wouldn't be so sure that means they aren't related in a very distant way, just on opposite extremes of the spectrum. The same way that some extremist Christian might assassinate an abortion doctor is pretty far ideologically from mainstream Christianity, there's still a shared core philosophy and distant relation. The fact that there are plenty of intermediate positions between these two extremes makes it pretty clear that they exist on the same ideological spectrum.

I would summarize the shared ideology this way. Non-extreme MRA's feel there are certain injustices in this world in regards to men, say family court biases or other such things, that could be fixed through minor reforms.

Incels believe all of society is unfairly and irrevocably stacked against them and lay much of this blame at the feet of women, feminism, and generally liberal society. They have no mind towards reform because, in their extremist view, there is no chance of redeeming such great injustices, so they quickly fall into the rut of despair and violence.

Again, there are plenty of intermediary points between these two extremes that establish a shared lineage.

I won't tar the entire MRA movement just because there is an extremist wing. There are always extremist wings. The question becomes of proportion. The MRA movement seems to have a very large, very active extremist wing, which makes it very concerning. This is unfortunate, because there are several issues in which moderate MRA's make very good points, to my eye.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:35 AM   #150
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,734
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Sexual dimorphism is a fact of nature beyond dispute
The fact that differences exist between males and females us a fact.

But you know from your travels in the manosphere that their use of the phrase carries more than the surface benign meaning. They share some broad ideas about what those differences are and what they imply that are not so inarguably factual.

And even the fact that those in these movements use that particular phrasing, which is rare outside their circles helps shape their thoughts and shows the interconnectedness of these communities.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:39 AM   #151
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Your point about social taxonomy is useful. Sure, incels believe in a series of extremely hopeless and violent ideas that make them pretty distinct from moderate MRAs. I wouldn't be so sure that means they aren't related in a very distant way, just on opposite extremes of the spectrum. The same way that some extremist Christian might assassinate an abortion doctor is pretty far ideologically from mainstream Christianity, there's still a shared core philosophy and distant relation. The fact that there are plenty of intermediate positions between these two extremes makes it pretty clear that they exist on the same ideological spectrum.

I would summarize the shared ideology this way. Non-extreme MRA's feel there are certain injustices in this world in regards to men, say family court biases or other such things, that could be fixed through minor reforms.

Incels believe all of society is unfairly and irrevocably stacked against them and lay much of this blame at the feet of women, feminism, and generally liberal society. They have no mind towards reform because, in their extremist view, there is no chance of redeeming such great injustices, so they quickly fall into the rut of despair and violence.

Again, there are plenty of intermediary points between these two extremes that establish a shared lineage.

I won't tar the entire MRA movement just because there is an extremist wing. There are always extremist wings. The question becomes of proportion. The MRA movement seems to have a very large, very active extremist wing, which makes it very concerning. This is unfortunate, because there are several issues in which moderate MRA's make very good points, to my eye.
Incels really just want a pretty girlfriend to love and have sex with, though. It's a distinctly different "etiology" there. Incels are lonely and depressed and suffering from a bizarre social contagion from a hyper-toxic online culture.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:42 AM   #152
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
The fact that differences exist between males and females us a fact.

But you know from your travels in the manosphere that their use of the phrase carries more than the surface benign meaning. They share some broad ideas about what those differences are and what they imply that are not so inarguably factual.

And even the fact that those in these movements use that particular phrasing, which is rare outside their circles helps shape their thoughts and shows the interconnectedness of these communities.
I dunno. I first encountered the phrase and controversy over the concept in anti trans feminist circles. It might just be a hot topic on the internet right now.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:44 AM   #153
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 85,063
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In the particular jobs we're talking about there is no reason that women can't perform the role at the same levels as a man
1) That you can see.
2) We're not talking about performance but all possible reasons, including simple lack of interest, which may be either (or both) learned or innate.

Quote:
Same with Politics. More and more women are becoming involved, and, particularly with our system, there are no excuses for parties not to take them seriously and bring them into Parliament.
Agreed.

Quote:
In jobs where the work tends to favour one gender over the others, then one would expect to see higher numbers of that gender in that job, but there you make sure that all the systems are in place to allow the others to take part is they want and then it's up to them is they do.
Sure. I don't think we disagree on the basics; only about when we can conclude that there's a problem behind the imbalance.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:45 AM   #154
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,465
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well then here's the problem: how does one know if they've been exhausted or if a gender imbalance stems from things we could or should change? That's why we have to look beyond a mere discrepancy in numbers, and not assume that such a discrepancy automatically means there's an underlying problem.
Hows does one know when obvious and practical things have been exhausted? By looking at the list of potential things to do and assessing if they are obvious and or practical of course.

This truly is a bizarre question.

When do doctors and researchers decide they have cured enough diseases and people live long enough?

When do scientists decide they have learned enough?

When do politicians decide they have solved enough unemployment? Enough poverty?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:45 AM   #155
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In the particular jobs we're talking about there is no reason that women can't perform the role at the same levels as a man, so certainly seeing 45-55% of the work force in those jobs would seem to be a logical outcome based on the population mix. For instance, in Law schools, women are now outnumbering the men, so there is certainly no reason that they shouldn't be able to go on and have careers that lead them to becoming Judges in equal or even greater numbers than men.

Same with Politics. More and more women are becoming involved, and, particularly with our system, there are no excuses for parties not to take them seriously and bring them into Parliament.

In jobs where the work tends to favour one gender over the others, then one would expect to see higher numbers of that gender in that job, but there you make sure that all the systems are in place to allow the others to take part is they want and then it's up to them is they do.
I completely agree, and good post! Thanks for articulating all of that so well.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:46 AM   #156
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,465
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Not even. We need solid parental leave policies (for both mothers and fathers equally) and a bunch of other things.
That would be an example of obvious and practical ways to increase numbers that have not yet been exhausted. I think you are making my point for me.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:47 AM   #157
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 2,086
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Incels really just want a pretty girlfriend to love and have sex with, though. It's a distinctly different "etiology" there. Incels are lonely and depressed and suffering from a bizarre social contagion from a hyper-toxic online culture.
The incel self-identity may have started as a very literal "people who can't find romance" umbrella community, it is predominantly an extreme misogynist movement now that can be traced from other extreme MRA subsets. Being "black-pilled" is a dead giveaway, being an even more extremist version of "red pill" MRAs, which is saying something given that was already a fringe wing.

Funnily enough, the person who coined the term "incel" was a woman who was experiencing a long period of loneliness. Such a person would probably be hounded by rape threats and excluded from the modern incel community, should they expose that they were a woman. Many incels would insist that women are incapable of being considered incels themselves, given their view of a world in which women are inherently privileged.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th April 2019 at 04:50 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:49 AM   #158
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,734
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point was: at which point do we consider that perhaps the percentages have reached their optimal result? Or do we just assume that it should be 50-50 everywhere?
Throughout history, the lesser involvement of women and racial and ethnic minorities in particular sectors of life has been more or less chalked up to their "natural" lesser abilities.

And at least in the western world, the toppling of legal institutional and social barriers and the introduction of support and encouragement has a consistent slope towards more representation in broader fields.

In the 19th century, of course women couldn't vote. They were biologically incapable of making those decisions. By the 60s, of course women didn't hold many elected offices, they were naturally compelled to raise children etc etc.

So far, most predictions of "This is really the natural limit of how much women/black people/whatever can participate in government/tech/whatever" have been wrong.

So my default has become to consider biological fatalism of inequality false until it has incredibly strong evidence. And even with evidence to hold it suspect.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:49 AM   #159
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
1) That you can see.
2) We're not talking about performance but all possible reasons, including simple lack of interest, which may be either (or both) learned or innate.
Really, it's just going to have to be scientifically studied over time. We're all just making things up without any scientific evidence.

PhantomWolf's point about the lawyer to judges pipeline for women is spot on, though.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:52 AM   #160
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The incel self-identity may have started as a very literal "people who can't find romance" umbrella community, it is predominantly an extreme misogynist movement now that can be traced from other extreme MRA subsets. Being "black-pilled" is a dead giveaway, being an even more extremist version of "red pill" MRAs, which is saying something given that was already a fringe wing.

Funnily enough, the person who coined the term "incel" was a woman who was experiencing a long period of loneliness. Such a person would probably be hounded by rape threats and excluded from the modern incel community, should they expose that they were a woman. Many incels would insist that women are incapable of being considered incels themselves, given their view of a world in which women are inherently privileged.
They borrowed a phrase that was borrowed from a movie that has a powerful metaphor. I dunno. I think the groups have had interaction and crossover, but they're of different origins.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.