ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:22 AM   #41
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
Sounds like you didn't read to the point where it said: "The idea is to fly the plane to 10 km (6.2 miles) high before releasing satellites into orbit."

Or even to "the aircraft is designed to act as a flying launch pad for satellites".

Actually, the article's only direct reference to rockets being involved in air launch is in reference to Virgin Orbit.
Oh crappe! I did miss that!
Old 15th April 2019, 02:49 PM   #42
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

r/space are reporting that they have lost the centre core. Heavy seas tipped it over. looks like the Octograbber robot can't handle FH centre cores. Damn.

Good job they made another. I bet they will recover it when they can to do a structural analysis.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:14 PM   #43
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
r/space are reporting that they have lost the centre core. Heavy seas tipped it over. looks like the Octograbber robot can't handle FH centre cores. Damn.

Good job they made another. I bet they will recover it when they can to do a structural analysis.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. At least they were already planning on a new core for the next launch, due to not being sure this one would successfully land.

I wonder if there's any wreckage to go over or if it all went over board. Might still be able to inspect the base shielding and see how it performed on such a high energy reentry.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:10 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Wait, so the centre core landed, but then fell off the ship?

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:28 PM   #45
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Wait, so the centre core landed, but then fell off the ship?
Rough seas on the way back, and it wasn't tied down. The robot that they built to grab the landed rockets hasn't been upgraded for falcon heavy yet, and I imagine they didn't want to put people onboard to do the job if seas were rough.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:34 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Rough seas on the way back, and it wasn't tied down. The robot that they built to grab the landed rockets hasn't been upgraded for falcon heavy yet, and I imagine they didn't want to put people onboard to do the job if seas were rough.
Perhaps a refit of Of Course I Still Love You with some tiedowns is in order.

arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:40 PM   #47
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

An obvious cover-up for the truth: the center was stolen by pirates.
Space pirates.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:57 PM   #48
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Perhaps a refit of Of Course I Still Love You with some tiedowns is in order.
They have a robot that crawls under a landed booster and anchors it by hard points underneath, but the Heavy center core doesn't have the same hard points due to the structural changes/side core attachments. They just need to modify the robot to be compatible.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:40 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They have a robot that crawls under a landed booster and anchors it by hard points underneath, but the Heavy center core doesn't have the same hard points due to the structural changes/side core attachments. They just need to modify the robot to be compatible.
Ah, that makes sense.

Old 16th April 2019, 01:29 PM   #50
phunk
Illuminator

I don't remember where, but I saw a post saying that the upgrade is supposed to be done before STP-2, which is scheduled for June.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 07:45 PM   #51
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm seeing some confusion now as to whether the booster fell into the sea or is lying on the deck.
Old 16th April 2019, 09:04 PM   #52
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, they thought it went over the side, but its lying on the deck intact but damaged. They think they will be able to salvage the engines and the grid fins.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:11 AM   #53
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Apparently, they thought it went over the side, but its lying on the deck intact but damaged. They think they will be able to salvage the engines and the grid fins.
Saw a tweet from Elon saying the engines looked ok so I'm assuming it's on its side with the business end propped up on two legs still.
Old 17th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Saw a tweet from Elon saying the engines looked ok so I'm assuming it's on its side with the business end propped up on two legs still.
Oh, hadn't thought about the legs! I was somehow picturing it rolling around. The legs would make it nice and stable. I'd think at least one grid fin would be damaged.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:59 AM   #55
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh, hadn't thought about the legs! I was somehow picturing it rolling around. The legs would make it nice and stable. I'd think at least one grid fin would be damaged.
The grid fins are in line with the legs so if it tipped over on two legs it probably damaged 2 of the grid fins, if they landed on the deck. Given the dimensions of the ship, there's a pretty good chance though the top of the rocket landed past the edge of the ship. I don't know if that means it's hanging over the edge, or just sheered off.
Old 17th April 2019, 05:43 PM   #56
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Everyday Astronaut will probably have something on it soon.

Old 17th April 2019, 06:31 PM   #57
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Everyday Astronaut will probably have something on it soon.
I've been watching him, but prefer Scott Manley. Something about that soothing Scottish accent!
Old 17th April 2019, 06:55 PM   #58
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've been watching him, but prefer Scott Manley. Something about that soothing Scottish accent!
They're both good. I like EA's music.

Old 18th April 2019, 08:18 AM   #59
phunk
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/spacecoast_stve/...66512079298560

Top half is just gone. Looks like it broke through the fuel tank, maybe the lox tank is intact and floating around out there somewhere? Probably not.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:46 PM   #60
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

https://twitter.com/spacecoast_stve/...66512079298560

Top half is just gone. Looks like it broke through the fuel tank, maybe the lox tank is intact and floating around out there somewhere? Probably not.
Pretty sure he's wrong about the "snapped hold-down chains" he mentions in another tweet. They weren't able to board the ASDS to tie it down due to the weather. The angle iron bits and support brace look like they were added in a hurry to hold the remains in place after it tipped, not to hold the landed booster down. The chains just aren't tight.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:31 AM   #61
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently there was an "anomaly" during the testing of crew dragon the other day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonatha.../#3c831b83b209
Quote:
SpaceX’s historic Crew Dragon spacecraft that launched for the first time last month appears to have exploded, according to reports, potentially delaying the return to flight of humans from American soil.

On Saturday, April 20, an explosion was reported at a test stand at SpaceX’s Landing Zone 1 in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Images and video showed smoke rising from the area following a “reddish-orange plume” in the sky, reported Spaceflight Now.

In a statement, SpaceX confirmed that something had gone awry. “Earlier today, SpaceX conducted a series of engine tests on a Crew Dragon test vehicle on our test stand at Landing Zone 1 in Cape Canaveral, Florida,” they said. “The initial tests completed successfully but the final test resulted in an anomaly on the test stand.”
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:55 PM   #62
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it had anything to do with the SuperDraco engines. The explosion happened 8 seconds before ignition.

If I was a betting man and had to pick something, I would pick another COPV failure (like Amos 6).
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:25 PM   #63
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

I don't think it had anything to do with the SuperDraco engines. The explosion happened 8 seconds before ignition.

If I was a betting man and had to pick something, I would pick another COPV failure (like Amos 6).
This situation is different in some significant ways...the Amos-6 accident was due to a previously unknown failure mode with oxygen freezing between the liner and overwrap of helium COPVs being pressurized while immersed in subcooled liquid oxygen. The Dragon has propellant COPVs that are pressurized from helium COPVs, all of which are close to ambient temperature.

There's less room for surprises with the COPVs this time. They could have been damaged by splashing down in the ocean or by work on the Dragon after it was recovered, but another strong possibility is a problem with the more complicated and finicky part of the system, the plumbing. If a helium valve stuck open or a regulator failed, the helium COPVs could easily overpressurize the propellant COPVs to the point where even a perfectly healthy COPV would burst.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:00 PM   #64
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This situation is different in some significant ways...the Amos-6 accident was due to a previously unknown failure mode with oxygen freezing between the liner and overwrap of helium COPVs being pressurized while immersed in subcooled liquid oxygen. The Dragon has propellant COPVs that are pressurized from helium COPVs, all of which are close to ambient temperature.

There's less room for surprises with the COPVs this time. They could have been damaged by splashing down in the ocean or by work on the Dragon after it was recovered, but another strong possibility is a problem with the more complicated and finicky part of the system, the plumbing. If a helium valve stuck open or a regulator failed, the helium COPVs could easily overpressurize the propellant COPVs to the point where even a perfectly healthy COPV would burst.
Which makes me wonder why they are persisting with hyperbolic liquid fueled rocket motors and all their attendant complexity, for a launch abort system. Boeing uses hypergolics for their Starliner launch abort system as well, and they too have been having problems with it. Solid rocket motors have been used in the past for this task, and have proven reliable.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:05 PM   #65
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

SpaceX, at least, also wanted to use the same motors for a soft landing on land.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:07 PM   #66
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

SpaceX, at least, also wanted to use the same motors for a soft landing on land.
Yep, but they have abandoned the propulsive landing idea for Crew Dragon.
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:37 PM   #67
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Yep, but they have abandoned the propulsive landing idea for Crew Dragon.
Only when NASA got stubborn about letting them test it on cargo flights. That was far too late to change things.

Plus, solids are heavier, SpaceX has no experience with them, and they involve a whole lot of handling safety and cost considerations of their own. And failure tolerance basically requires the tower approach (the Dragon would spin if a solid in place of one of the SuperDracos didn't fire), and that adds a failure mode where the tower fails to separate. And the fact that the tower would need to separate means there's parts of the flight where the capsule doesn't have an escape system, making it harder to achieve the LOC requirements.
Old 24th June 2019, 07:40 PM   #68
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Another launch of Falcon Heavy tonight (at 11:30pm EST) tomorroww morning at 2:30am EST), with some interesting launch parameters.

"Launching a remarkably lightweight payload of just 3,700 kg, the Falcon Heavy – at a glance – seems wildly overpowered for launching a mission of this class into orbit.

However, part of the flight requires the second stage to re-ignite three times to radically alter the vehicle’s orbit for the various payload deployments.

This requires the second stage to enter orbit with a healthy amount of propellant still inside its tanks – a requirement that therefore drives the need to launch the mission on the Falcon Heavy instead of a regular Falcon 9 because the Falcon Heavy can provide the extra margin to the second stage whereas the regular Falcon 9 – even in its expendable configuration – could not.

Even with the Falcon Heavy’s performance, the center booster – given final mission and performance margin calculations and needs – must burn so much of its fuel during first stage flight that it is incapable of performing a Boostback burn and therefore must free-fly itself 1,200 km downrange from the launch pad before reigniting its engines for the Entry and Landing Burns."

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019...stp-2-mission/

Key interesting firsts

- launching with flight proven side boosters
- triple ignition of second stage
- free-fly to atmospheric entry with no boostback burn

also, the longest downrange attempt to land a booster - 1200km

These mission and flight parameters add up to a very interesting, and somewhat risky mission.

Last edited by smartcooky; 24th June 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:46 PM   #69
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I expected to be watching it 15 minutes ago at 8:30 my time. Now it'll be past my bedtime. I've set an alarm in my phone but may not hear it.
Old 24th June 2019, 09:37 PM   #70
Elagabalus
Illuminator

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019...stp-2-mission/

Key interesting firsts

- launching with flight proven side boosters
- triple ignition of second stage
- free-fly to atmospheric entry with no boostback burn

also, the longest downrange attempt to land a booster - 1200km

These mission and flight parameters add up to a very interesting, and somewhat risky mission.
Nice photo!

Golly! It's almost as tall as the water tower!

You know I love yah'!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 11:28 PM   #71
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Power is forever internal!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 11:42 PM   #72
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Center core fail!
Old 24th June 2019, 11:43 PM   #73
Mr Clingford
Master Poster

Damn, the centre core got so close!

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 11:51 PM   #74
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Center core fail!
Understandable, though. It was a very risky landing, with the amount of energy resulting in an entry speed and landing speed about 20-25% faster than they have ever tried before. The result is that stuff gets a real "toasting"

Landing the centre core is damned hard... landing it 1200 km downrange is double damned hard. I heard the presenters just a couple of minutes before calling that the entry burn had just finished, and then you hear the controller calling it has just started. That's about 20 seconds late on the timeline, and at that point, I began to suspect there was going to be trouble with the centre core landing.

Last edited by smartcooky; 24th June 2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 25th June 2019, 01:00 PM   #75
Garrison
Illuminator

Understandable, though. It was a very risky landing, with the amount of energy resulting in an entry speed and landing speed about 20-25% faster than they have ever tried before. The result is that stuff gets a real "toasting"

Landing the centre core is damned hard... landing it 1200 km downrange is double damned hard. I heard the presenters just a couple of minutes before calling that the entry burn had just finished, and then you hear the controller calling it has just started. That's about 20 seconds late on the timeline, and at that point, I began to suspect there was going to be trouble with the centre core landing.
On the upside they did finally net a fairing and all four burns on the second stage went off flawlessly.
Old 25th June 2019, 05:56 PM   #76
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
On the upside they did finally net a fairing and all four burns on the second stage went off flawlessly.

... and in the dark!!!
Old 26th June 2019, 04:01 PM   #77
Wolrab
Illuminator

So did the rocket have maximum velocity at take off and gradually slow down as it ran out of something to push against?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 04:14 PM   #78
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
So did the rocket have maximum velocity at take off and gradually slow down as it ran out of something to push against?
The opposite is true... it got faster and faster, despite having less and less to push against. Its almost as if pushing against something is not how rockets work......
Old 27th June 2019, 05:45 AM   #79
Wolrab
Illuminator

Funny that.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 02:28 AM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Elon Musk has tweeted that the centre core failed because "High entry force & heat breached engine bay & center engine TVC failed"

(TVC = Thrust Vector Control)

If you watch the video, you can see that the centre core was about to land - the drone ship deck starts to vibrate and a huge puff of dust/water is whipped away, and then at the last moment, the core pitches away and starts flying rapidly away from the camera before crashing into the ocean and exploding.

FF to 0:37 for the landing crash
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology