ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:27 PM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Scientology has announced that they now offer their own TV Channel.

Announced by Scientology, they now offer their own TV Station, I believe it is on channel 360, at least on my package. 7 days a week. 24 hours a day. Yea, I'm a bit curious, but not enough to check it out yet. I have a fairly good idea of what they feature. A lot of successful smiling people, and drawing people to do what they do best, with a great deal of solicitation. 'Invest In Becoming Clear'?

From what I understand, this station began towards the end of 2018.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:40 PM   #2
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Announced by Scientology, they now offer their own TV Station, I believe it is on channel 360, at least on my package. 7 days a week. 24 hours a day. Yea, I'm a bit curious, but not enough to check it out yet. I have a fairly good idea of what they feature. A lot of successful smiling people, and drawing people to do what they do best, with a great deal of solicitation. 'Invest In Becoming Clear'?

I've seen it. It is an extremely well-produced festival of unmitigated crap.

Basically just a 24/7 advertisement for how amazing Scientology is.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:58 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's a last desperate attempt to appear relevant.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Try to buy advertising on it for anti-Scientology programs on other channels. They will be torn. They want the advertising income badly (that's why Scientology exists - to fleece the public of their hard-earned), but they won't get it without compromising their whole income stream.

...........ping!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 10th April 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:14 PM   #5
ThatGuy11200
Scholar

I can't believe this nasty little cult hasn't been banned.

I stopped watching National Geographic channel about 10 years ago (I think it was about that time), when they started whoring themselves to Scientology by showing their adverts.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 05:43 AM   #6
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Try to buy advertising on it for anti-Scientology programs on other channels. They will be torn. They want the advertising income badly (that's why Scientology exists - to fleece the public of their hard-earned), but they won't get it without compromising their whole income stream.

Ask them to run ads for South Park.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:23 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I've seen it. It is an extremely well-produced festival of unmitigated crap.

Basically just a 24/7 advertisement for how amazing Scientology is.
What did you expect?
I see a lot of broadcasts of "Battlefield;Earth" in the future.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:24 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
I can't believe this nasty little cult hasn't been banned.

I stopped watching National Geographic channel about 10 years ago (I think it was about that time), when they started whoring themselves to Scientology by showing their adverts.
In the US we have this little thing called Freedom of Religion...

I hate the CO$ as much as you do, but would not ban them. Take away their tax exempt status and indict the leaders for their criminal activicties yes,yes, a thousand time yes, but ban them.?No way. Horrible precedent.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 01:31 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's a last desperate attempt to appear relevant.
The last decade has been terrible for the CO$.
I think it was sort of delayed action from the late 1990's;the Internet has been krypnonite to them. It gave the critics of the church a forum the church could not control or intimidate. I think the leaking of what was taught at OT III was a real blow to the church. Once the story of Xenu got out, it's creditblity took a huge blow. People who might have fallen for their crap took one look a Xenu and the Volcanoes, laughed themselves silly, and never took the CO$ seriously again.
Then you has South Park, the first mainstream media show to openly ridicule the CO$, Tom Cruise's crazy behavior which marred their #1 poster boy, and more recently the book and highly successful documenatray "Going Clear".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What did you expect?
I see a lot of broadcasts of "Battlefield;Earth" in the future.
Even Scientologists aren't that crazy.
Old 11th April 2019, 02:23 PM   #11
mumblethrax
Species traitor

TV? That stuff is for olds. I'd never join a cult so embarrassingly out of touch.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:37 PM   #12
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
TV? That stuff is for olds. I'd never join a cult so embarrassingly out of touch.
I know this was a joke . . . but akshually, Scientology has had a huge official presence on the internet for awhile now. They have an Instagram profile, Facebook page and other social media accounts. They have been masters at using "influencers" to spread the word since before "influencers" were a recognized thing. For such a secretive organization, they do appear to be very in touch with just about every technological advance that has come out since their inception. And speaking of secretive . . . They were getting their copyrighted content removed from the internet way before the music and film industries.
Old 11th April 2019, 02:53 PM   #13
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I know this was a joke . . . but akshually, Scientology has had a huge official presence on the internet for awhile now. They have an Instagram profile, Facebook page and other social media accounts. They have been masters at using "influencers" to spread the word since before "influencers" were a recognized thing. For such a secretive organization, they do appear to be very in touch with just about every technological advance that has come out since their inception. And speaking of secretive . . . They were getting their copyrighted content removed from the internet way before the music and film industries.
Yeah, but they're pretty bad at that stuff in the 21st century--it's all way too obvious now, like the special effects in old movies. They only have around 50,000 (or fewer) members. The Supreme Master has at least ten times that many, and she's only been around since 1986. Plus, their food is better. Does Scientology even have any vegan restaurants?
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:29 PM   #14
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Xenu and the Volcanoes,

Great name for a band.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:37 AM   #15
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The last decade has been terrible for the CO$.
I think it was sort of delayed action from the late 1990's;the Internet has been krypnonite to them. It gave the critics of the church a forum the church could not control or intimidate. I think the leaking of what was taught at OT III was a real blow to the church. Once the story of Xenu got out, it's creditblity took a huge blow. People who might have fallen for their crap took one look a Xenu and the Volcanoes, laughed themselves silly, and never took the CO$ seriously again.
Then you has South Park, the first mainstream media show to openly ridicule the CO$, Tom Cruise's crazy behavior which marred their #1 poster boy, and more recently the book and highly successful documenatray "Going Clear".
Imagine paying for the Xenu story with 15 years of your life, $300.000, your relationships with your family...

I don't understand people being in cults, but I've never understood it less than with Scientology. Although it might have looked interesting in the fifties when it looked like a high-tech self-improvement course.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:49 AM   #16
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

We get a fairly steady flow of questions about Scientology on Quora.
I usually refer folks to the Time Magazine cover article from 1991... “A Thriving Cult Of Greed And Power”....
Pretty much lays it all out.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 05:54 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm just waiting for the Xenu vs Cthulhu crossover movie.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 07:39 AM   #18
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I usually refer folks to the Time Magazine cover article from 1991... “A Thriving Cult Of Greed And Power”....
Are these questions from people who are considering joining?
Old 12th April 2019, 07:56 AM   #19
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Announced by Scientology, they now offer their own TV Station, I believe it is on channel 360, at least on my package.

You can do your part by letting your cable company know that you object to them carrying the channel. I might well switch providers if mine picked up the channel.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:08 AM   #20
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
1991 was about the last time you could say Scientology was thriving. In 2019 they're contained and dying out. Can't even remember the last time I saw them camped out in the subway, with their lil' card tables and e-meters. They're venting members, and most of their recent campaigns smack of cluelessness and desperation. I doubt they'll survive the coming decades as anything beyond a financial portfolio.
Old 14th April 2019, 05:29 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They still have a small office not far from where I work.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:30 AM   #22
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

1991 was about the last time you could say Scientology was thriving. In 2019 they're contained and dying out. Can't even remember the last time I saw them camped out in the subway, with their lil' card tables and e-meters. They're venting members, and most of their recent campaigns smack of cluelessness and desperation. I doubt they'll survive the coming decades as anything beyond a financial portfolio.
They defrauded people of billions and invested it in real-estate. They can coast on without further financial input, I think.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:50 AM   #23
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Are these questions from people who are considering joining?
Although many don’t say specifically, I get the impression that this is the case.

And, we have a few folks on the site that have drunk the kool-aid and are true believers...
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:01 AM   #24
mumblethrax
Species traitor

They defrauded people of billions and invested it in real-estate. They can coast on without further financial input, I think.
Given this, I see no reason why they would continue to sink a great deal of money into seeking new adherents if it doesn't pay off. As spreading the word of L. Ron Hubbard becomes an expense, rather than a source of revenue, you can expect them to stop existing as a church, and continue as Scientology, Inc.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 15th April 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 03:58 PM   #25
xjx388
Philosopher

Given this, I see no reason why they would continue to sink a great deal of money into seeking new adherents if it doesn't pay off. As spreading the word of L. Ron Hubbard becomes an expense, rather than a source of revenue, you can expect them to stop existing as a church, and continue as Scientology, Inc.
They still have a handful of wealthy donors who are still in it for the Tech. They have to keep up pretenses for them. They are currently building a bunch of Ideal Orgs that are just going to be teeming with new members spreading Ron's Tech. Soon, they will reach their goal of clearing the planet! But they need money for that. But I suspect this is all just to build up a massive inventory of Real Estate that a select few will profit from when it all comes down.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:07 AM   #26
autumn1971
Master Poster

“How’s the new TV station?”

“The picture is really clear.”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:48 AM   #27
ahhell
Master Poster

I'm really surprised they don't have one already, with all the stars and what not, what took so long?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 01:56 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As one person here said in a thread on the COS, the Church considers you a Clear when they have Cleared out your bank account.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th April 2019, 02:00 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They still have a handful of wealthy donors who are still in it for the Tech. They have to keep up pretenses for them. They are currently building a bunch of Ideal Orgs that are just going to be teeming with new members spreading Ron's Tech. Soon, they will reach their goal of clearing the planet! But they need money for that. But I suspect this is all just to build up a massive inventory of Real Estate that a select few will profit from when it all comes down.
For some of the higher ups, I Agree.They know the COS's days as a bigtime player are numbered.. But I get the feeling some of the higher ups still buy into the crap.
It's not unusual for a Scam Artist to end up falling for his own scam. Hubbard apparently started whole thing as more or less a scam, but ended up falling for his own crap.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th April 2019, 02:41 PM   #30
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
You can do your part by letting your cable company know that you object to them carrying the channel. I might well switch providers if mine picked up the channel.
I have half-heartedly looked for the channel, but have yet to find it. And, I agree with you, if I do come across it, I will object to Direct TV.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:27 AM   #31
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

For some of the higher ups, I Agree.They know the COS's days as a bigtime player are numbered.. But I get the feeling some of the higher ups still buy into the crap.

There's been a great deal of splintering and in-fighting going on with the Co$ for the past couple decades, with a number of middle and upper leadership spinning off their own "churches"; and internal power-struggles. Particularly due to the #MeToo movement empowering a lot of backlash against abuses by Miscavige and some of the other powers-that-be, which the church is having increasingly less success in suppressing.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 04:47 PM   #32
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm just waiting for the Xenu vs Cthulhu crossover movie.
Cthulhu will eat Xenu for a snack!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 07:29 PM   #33
wasapi
Philosopher

I finally spent some time doing an extensive search. Nope. No need to complain to Direct TV.

I am curious about which providers offer it, and the charge for the channel.

Off to check it out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events