ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags voting , voting machines , voting systems

Old 13th April 2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Rigged or Hacked Voting Machines

This is going to be coming up at some point, so to set things off, a few links:

Jennifer Cohn on Diebold/Premier/Global/E&S/Dominion white collar crime & computer tampering, and current types of voting machines used in the USA:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...710072325.html

(Note, Georgia is currently debating what machines to get.)

Harpers, "How to rig an election":

https://harpers.org/archive/2012/11/...g-an-election/

And somewhat of a counterpoint (compulsory voting and paper ballots in Australia):

A history of compulsory voting in Australia (and why we are so good at elections)

Discuss voting machines and the 2020 US election.
Old 13th April 2019, 08:28 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Voting machines: no.

Compulsory voting: yes.

End of discussion.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I should dig up all my old posts about Ohio's Ken Blackburn using Diebold voting machines when the owner said outright he supported GW.

I don't understand how the citizens of Ohio and these other states don't scream bloody murder about their proven-hackable voting machines.
Old 14th April 2019, 02:48 AM   #4
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

End of discussion.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:20 AM   #5
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

End of discussion.
This with a side of implied automatic registration, please.
Old 14th April 2019, 04:43 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm given to understand voting comes with a sausage breakfast in Australia. Is this true?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:09 AM   #7
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Since weíre going crazy with the voting practices, Iím going to throw in ranked choice voting in there, too.
Old 14th April 2019, 06:03 AM   #8
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm given to understand voting comes with a sausage breakfast in Australia. Is this true?
We hold barbecues at polling places. You can get a sausage there. Some polling places are public schools, so they make a day of it - a school fundraising fete. Not only sausages but lots of other yummy stuff.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Kestrel
Philosopher

Paper ballots that can be counted by hand are a good start. Real election security requires one additional step.

Require a statistical audit of the election results. If the margin of victory in a statewide race was 10%, a hand count of 100 randomly selected ballots would be enough to confirm the winner. A race with a margin of 3% would require a hand count of about 2,000 randomly selected ballots.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:47 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Random voting: 100 people are randomly selected by a computer, and they alone get to vote. A great saving of time and money.
Old 14th April 2019, 08:54 AM   #11
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
We hold barbecues at polling places.
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Paper ballots... are a good start.
There are many politicians who would like that sort of barbecue.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Machines are acceptable iff there is a clearly printed paper ballot in addition, and this has precedence.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 11:54 AM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Random voting: 100 people are randomly selected by a computer, and they alone get to vote. A great saving of time and money.
Even better:

Random voting: Each voter flips a coin or rolls a die to determine who they vote for!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:10 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Even better:

Random voting: Each voter flips a coin or rolls a die to determine who they vote for!
They already do that.
Old 14th April 2019, 12:16 PM   #15
Senex
Philosopher

This is what happened last time.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:56 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Paper ballots that can be counted by hand are a good start. Real election security requires one additional step.

Require a statistical audit of the election results. If the margin of victory in a statewide race was 10%, a hand count of 100 randomly selected ballots would be enough to confirm the winner. A race with a margin of 3% would require a hand count of about 2,000 randomly selected ballots.
Statistical audit?

There's three kinds of lies, isn't there? Lies, damn lies, and statistics? Something like that?

Government should not reduce to statistical shenanigans.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:16 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Statistical audit?

There's three kinds of lies, isn't there? Lies, damn lies, and statistics? Something like that?

Government should not reduce to statistical shenanigans.
I would hardly think that basic 1+1 counting is "statistical shenanigans".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:04 AM   #18
Donal
Illuminator

I would hardly think that basic 1+1 counting is "statistical shenanigans".
Don't go trying to bring math into that. Its the Devil's language.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:11 AM   #19
ahhell
Master Poster

Voting machines, ok so long as there is a paper back up.

Compulsory voting, no.

Automatic registration, hell no, though it pretty much exists everywhere I've lived.

Rank choice voting, I like that idea a lot.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Anybody want to buy a rigged random selection computer?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:18 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I would hardly think that basic 1+1 counting is "statistical shenanigans". : rolleyes :
Kestrel isn't describing simple arithmetic. He literally proposed a statistical audit. "Rolleyes" indeed.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:23 AM   #22
Donal
Illuminator

Make Election Day a federal Holiday on the first Monday of November

Automatic registration of everyone over 18

Voting Machines that produce a paper receipt and are audited before and immediately after every election. And a few randomly selected during the election (I know that will slow some things down, but I'd say maintaining the integrity of the vote is worth it).

Recounts for any margin under 5%

Rank choice voting with automatic run off

No indication of party on the ballot. Randomly change the order candidates appear on each ballot so people just can't go straight down the ticket without knowing who they are selecting

No announcing totals until the polls have closed

Free BBQ for all

Last edited by Donal; 15th April 2019 at 08:25 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:32 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Machines are acceptable iff there is a clearly printed paper ballot in addition, and this has precedence.
Double effort, double cost. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

The real problem with hackable voting machines is that you get what you pay for. No voting district is going to pay Diebold top-dollar for a truly secure voting machine. The way people talk about voting machines, they probably should be as secure as ATMs. But the fact is, they're not, because no voting district has the money to pay for ATM-tier voting machines.

What they have instead is a system of custody and oversight at the polls, which they assure us is sufficient to secure paper ballots, and which they assure us is similarly sufficient to secure voting machines. This is what allows them to buy voting machines they can actually afford.

And maybe they're not wrong.

Winning an election by hacking voting machines requires certain things:
- You have to know which district(s) you need to hack.
- You have to know how to hack the machine(s) in those districts.
- You have to have undetected access to the machine(s) in those districts.
- You have to be able to change the vote count(s) in a way that's both plausible and decisive.*

*You can omit the "decisive" requirement, as long as you're prepared to weather the recounts, the suspicions, the audits, etc. But this requires that you be very confident that your hacking won't be detected, even under heightened scrutiny.

I could see a corrupt mayor or state legislator, needing to flip only the machines in a single district, maybe seeing value in "hacking the vote". But for nationwide - or even statewide - races, there's probably too many voting districts and too much variance between them, for a direct hack of voting machines to be worth the effort.

Even if Rahm Emmanuel had gone to Hillary Clinton in 2016 and told her, "I can guarantee you Illinois", it still wouldn't have solved her problem in other states, and wouldn't have been worth owing a favor to Emmanuel.

That's why both the GOP and the DNC are experimenting with Russian troll-style social media campaigns, for the larger races. For the smaller races, I assume it's the same local machine politics and corruption it's always been. Just with more chrome highlights.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:34 AM   #24
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Donal View Post

Voting Machines that produce a paper receipt and are audited before and immediately after every election. And a few randomly selected during the election (I know that will slow some things down, but I'd say maintaining the integrity of the vote is worth it).

No indication of party on the ballot. Randomly change the order candidates appear on each ballot so people just can't go straight down the ticket without knowing who they are selecting

Free BBQ for all
Mostly no to hell no but this is interesting and I've never heard someone suggest it before:
I kind of like it.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:37 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Slow things down and increase cost, but I agree it's worth it.

Quote:
Automatic recounts under a certain margin? Yes. That specific margin? Maybe.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
No indication of party on the ballot.
No.

Quote:
Randomly change the order candidates appear on each ballot so people just can't go straight down the ticket without knowing who they are selecting
No.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Free BBQ for all
There's no such thing as "free". Figure out who's paying for it, and why, and then we'll talk.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:46 AM   #26
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Double effort, double cost. Which kind of defeats the purpose.
This is commonly known as "building the world's most expensive pencil."
Old 15th April 2019, 08:59 AM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
This is commonly known as "building the world's most expensive pencil."
Pretty much.

The thing is, every school child is trained to fill in bubbles on a Scan-Tron form. Paper ballots with machine counting and human oversight seems like a about as cromulent a system as is needed.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:11 AM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Make Election Day a federal Holiday on the first Monday of November.
No. Everyone will leave town for the long weekend and not vote.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:20 AM   #29
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hm, this has convinced me to reconsider. The the crowd that really doesn't give a damn select themselves out of voting. I could buy into that. This would have tendency to skew the actual voters to be poorer. So, sort of a progressive voting scheme.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:21 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A Tuesday holiday makes more sense. Or a Saturday voting day.

But I'm one of those people who thinks that it's a perfectly cromulent use of your voting privilege, to look at the situation and decide that abstention (and spending the day doing something more important) is sufficient.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:22 AM   #31
Donal
Illuminator

Yes.

No.

Slow things down and increase cost, but I agree it's worth it.

Automatic recounts under a certain margin? Yes. That specific margin? Maybe.

No.

No.

No.

Yes.

There's no such thing as "free". Figure out who's paying for it, and why, and then we'll talk.
So an informed electorate with more choices is bad?
Old 15th April 2019, 09:37 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So an informed electorate with more choices is bad?
Nothing on that list has to do with increasing voter information. Maybe one thing on that list has anything to do with more choices.

And neither "informed electorate" nor "more choices" have anything to do with voting machine security, which is the actual topic of the thread.

Rule of So in full effect!

---

ETA: I'm also switching my first "yes" to a "no". Instead of a Monday holiday, either a Tuesday holiday or a Saturday voting day.

Last edited by theprestige; 15th April 2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:47 AM   #33
Donal
Illuminator

Nothing on that list has to do with increasing voter information. Maybe one thing on that list has anything to do with more choices.

And neither "informed electorate" nor "more choices" have anything to do with voting machine security, which is the actual topic of the thread.

Rule of So in full effect!

---

ETA: I'm also switching my first "yes" to a "no". Instead of a Monday holiday, either a Tuesday holiday or a Saturday voting day.
Except more voters makes vote rigging a more expensive and less efficient proposition. So either you have to try another way than jacking a bunch of voting machines/ballot boxes, or you have to employ a lot more people to do it.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:59 AM   #34
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Sortition: random representation.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:01 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Except more voters makes vote rigging a more expensive and less efficient proposition.
How so?
Old 15th April 2019, 10:06 AM   #36
ahhell
Master Poster

A Tuesday holiday makes more sense. Or a Saturday voting day.

But I'm one of those people who thinks that it's a perfectly cromulent use of your voting privilege, to look at the situation and decide that abstention (and spending the day doing something more important) is sufficient.
Its occasionally your duty as citizen to not vote. If you are especially ignorant or unconcerned about the outcome, you shouldn't vote.

How so?
More voters means you have to fake more votes to shift an election. Not really true if you can actually hack machines but still.

Also, I could be convinced that a lottery would be the best way to pick representatives or maybe candidates.

Last edited by ahhell; 15th April 2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:13 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

The real problem with hackable voting machines is that you get what you pay for. No voting district is going to pay Diebold top-dollar for a truly secure voting machine. The way people talk about voting machines, they probably should be as secure as ATMs. But the fact is, they're not, because no voting district has the money to pay for ATM-tier voting machines.
Then go back to paper.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:14 AM   #38
Donal
Illuminator

How so?
It makes each vote less consequential. The significant each vote is, the less value there is in warping individual ballots/boxes. So, either you expand your operation, which carries a world of security risks, or you move on to another method. Something crazy like "use policies that appeal to the majority of voters".
Old 15th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Its occasionally your duty as citizen to not vote. If you are especially ignorant or unconcerned about the outcome, you shouldn't vote.
I agree with the principle, but find the pejorative tone repugnant.

Quote:
More voters means you have to fake more votes to shift an election.
It depends if you're worried about a recount. If you can fake the vote counts without having to worry about the ballots, then flipping 100k votes is no more difficult than flipping 100 votes.

Quote:
Not really true if you can actually hack machines but still.
True.

Quote:
Also, I could be convinced that a lottery would be the best way to pick representatives or maybe candidates.
So could I.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:43 AM   #40
ahhell
Master Poster

I agree with the principle, but find the pejorative tone repugnant.
Wasn't meant pejoratively, I have been especially ignorant and especially unconcerned with the outcome of elections in my life. Chose not to vote in several elections as a student entirely because I knew I wasn't going to be in the same town come graduation and just didn't care enough about the long term future of that particular city while also not really knowing enough about my former home to cast an informed vote.

Last edited by ahhell; 15th April 2019 at 10:44 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics