ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th April 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Satellite IS29e "anomaly" on video (!)

Ars Technica has posted remarkable video from a ground-based telescope of a GEO satellite having a very bad day.

The video is about halfway down the page, and the interesting part starts at about 24s in the video (it's only 52s long).

If I'm reading it right, the incident in the video happened on Thursday (April 11).

For the moment, I don't have anything useful to add to the speculations about what happened, but I know there are (or were) at least a few of us here from the satellite business so I thought I'd share it.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:07 AM   #2
deadrose
Illuminator

Ouch! A very bad day, indeed!
deadrose is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Appears to have been blown up.

I noticed it's "Boeing-built". They aren't having a very good couple of weeks.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:10 PM   #4
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I noticed it's "Boeing-built".
I found out about the video from one of my (many) Boeing friends
Old 15th April 2019, 07:25 PM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if it was hit by a meteoroid?
Old 15th April 2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wonder if it was hit by a meteoroid?
Or a stray box of tools from the ISS??

https://www.nasa.gov/missions/shuttle/f_debris.html
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:35 PM   #7
dasmiller

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Wrong orbit
Old 15th April 2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Wrong orbit. ISS is about 408 km above the surface, whereas geostationary orbit is 35,786 km high.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #9
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for posting, that was a very cool video. Too bad about the satellite though.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #10
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Wrong orbit. ISS is about 408 km above the surface, whereas geostationary orbit is 35,786 km high.

I was about to mention the cloud of debris created by India's recent anti-satellite missile test, but that was way too low as well.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #11
Ernie M
Muse

Satellite IS29e "anomaly" was not caused by a hit-and-run accident from Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster with Starman behind the wheel.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
Satellite IS29e "anomaly" was not caused by a hit-and-run accident from Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster with Starman behind the wheel.
That's what THEY want you to think!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology