ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fires , France incidents , notre dame , Paris incidents

Old 15th April 2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Notre-Dame de Paris - cathedral on fire!

World-famous church suffering a massive fire in roof and spire. Live coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGbmWOfdXcQ

Apparently, there is renovation going on, scaffolding is visible above the roof.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Damned, this beauty is suffering badly. Spire is fully involved, I am sure there will be some collapse
Old 15th April 2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

And now the spire HAS collapsed!
Old 15th April 2019, 10:47 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, ****.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:48 AM   #5
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Terrible. Since there was scaffolding around the area, I suspect a repeat of what happened at Roskilde Cathedral in 1968, where casual use of open flame in a area filled with bonedry wooden structure, resulted in exactly the same outcome, a massive fire:

(spoilered due to size of the image)
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

On Twitter - #NotreDame

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash
Old 15th April 2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well, ****.
Indeed. I'm not religious, but I hate to see stuff happen to history like this.

The spire still seems to be up, however.

ETA: Apparently stale video, they've replayed it collapsing.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 15th April 2019 at 10:53 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Not before I can visit the thing!

But seriously, that Cathedral is a national monument. Dammit!

ETA: And as usual, Trump had something stupid to say about it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 15th April 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:54 AM   #9
carlitos
"más divertido"

Oh wow, this is an inferno.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:57 AM   #10
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The spire still seems to be up, however.

ETA: Apparently stale video, they've replayed it collapsing.
https://twitter.com/Invisible_DE/sta...50532230696961
Old 15th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Announcer on that CBS feed a few moments ago: "This is a tragedy for all French people, whether they are Christians or Catholic."
Old 15th April 2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Faydra
sinning sybarite

I'm headed there in 32 days. it couldn't have waited 32 days? <outrage>

But seriously, this is very very sad.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:06 AM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

this is horrible.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:07 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Announcer on that CBS feed a few moments ago: "This is a tragedy for all French people, whether they are Christians or Catholic."
Tragedies like this always bring out the best in people.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:09 AM   #15
Steve
Philosopher

Well yeah, but I bet he looked great while he was saying it!

ETA: Shame to see damage like this to any historic building.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:13 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that in an event like this, the stone it's built from loses its structural integrity. This is really bad.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:14 AM   #17
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

France is the top tourist destination in the world
Paris is the top destination in France
Notre Dame is the top tourist attraction in France.

You can hardly get any more prominent.

Notre Dame is literally the center of France - distances to other places are measured from a stone right in front of the church's main portal.

Interesting bit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-..._and_the_Spire
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The original spire was constructed in the 13th century, probably between 1220 and 1230. It was battered, weakened and bent by the wind over five centuries, and finally was removed in 1786. During the 19th century restoration, Eugčne Viollet-le-Duc decided to recreate it, making a new version of oak covered with lead.
The spire that was just destroyed at least isn't that ancient, and it burned so vigorously because it was made of wood, not stone.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:17 AM   #18
Steve
Philosopher

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that in an event like this, the stone it's built from loses its structural integrity. This is really bad.
Yep. Looking at the current vids from the site it does not look like there will be too much salvageable. Lots of valuable artwork will be lost along with the iconic building.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Steve
Philosopher

Currently reporting no deaths or injuries. That is good news.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:26 AM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it's a very strange feeling when something that has existed through the ages gets destroyed before your eyes.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:29 AM   #21
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the flammable material is in the roof, heat rises, so it is not clear to mee that TOO much of the stone structure will deteriorate due to heat. But of course the roof is important to the structural integrity, or so I'd assume.

Among the most famous, and most important, details are the rose windows of stained glass, the three big ones being originals, 750+ years old. I see no chance to salvage any part of the north and south rose
The west rose, almost 800 years old - perhaps they manage to keep that cool enough along with the towers themselves...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-...4_rose_windows
Old 15th April 2019, 11:30 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The roof appears to be mostly or entirely gone.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:34 AM   #23
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone ever read Victor Hugo's novel "Notre Dame de Paris" (as opposed to watching a "Hunchback of Notre Dame" movie)?

It is essentially a big love letter to gothic architecture, and the value of preserving historic monuments. I read a translation many (like 30?) years ago - one of the most memorable books I ever read. I still feel Hugo's passion. It hurts today.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #25
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Too soon for any of you to jump to conclusions about the state of the stone and so on. Trust me on this.

It certainly looks worse than York Minster, which was at least contains to one transept. A sad day indeed.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #26
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
He knows more about firefighting than anyone, right?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Currently reporting no deaths or injuries. That is good news.
I'm going to sound like an asshat but I would've traded a few lives to keep this priceless, timeless artpiece. Generations have looked to this building as an important piece of history.

Old 15th April 2019, 11:40 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it's a very strange feeling when something that has existed through the ages gets destroyed before your eyes.
I get your point, but "through the ages" is a bit misleading. It's only been about 900 years since construction started. Not much older than Oxford University, or Tenochtitlan.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:41 AM   #29
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I hope they will manage to save as much as possible. But still, a staggering amount of irreplaceable history is going up in flames as we watch.

Surviving untold civil wars, a revolution, 2 world wars only to be destroyed by an error in renovations
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:43 AM   #30
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

On CBSN, they are saying that the roof has collapsed completely, and there is now fire everywhere inside the church.

Difficult to imagine that fire fighters could or would be inside now to attack the blaze. Very depressing.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:46 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If only they had raked the floor...

too soon?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:47 AM   #32
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Has anyone ever read Victor Hugo's novel "Notre Dame de Paris" (as opposed to watching a "Hunchback of Notre Dame" movie)?

It is essentially a big love letter to gothic architecture, and the value of preserving historic monuments. I read a translation many (like 30?) years ago - one of the most memorable books I ever read. I still feel Hugo's passion. It hurts today.

I did. I also visited the place around 30 years ago when I was an insufferable teenager. I thought it was overrated. As sad as it is to see this historical monument suffer, my advice to Micron is that he shouldn't try to use it to stop what is planned for May 1st (making him eat cake).
Old 15th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

I get your point, but "through the ages" is a bit misleading. It's only been about 900 years since construction started.
So only the middle ages, the renaissance, the age of discovery, the age of enlightenment, the age of revolutions, the victorian age and the modern age.

I think those count as "ages", plural.

Old 15th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Very sad. Definitely ND is in the top hundred best cathedrals of France. My art history snobbery leads to to suspect many if not most of the foreign bereaved cannot actually name a second cathedral in France.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #35
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Yes, definitely worse than York Minster.. Although that was bad too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-28112373

Last edited by Architect; 15th April 2019 at 11:51 AM.
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So only the middle ages, the renaissance, the age of discovery, the age of enlightenment, the age of revolutions, the victorian age and the modern age.

I think those count as "ages", plural.
Eh. I take a somewhat longer view, I guess.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:51 AM   #37
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Very sad. Definitely ND is in the top hundred best cathedrals of France. My art history snobbery leads to to suspect many if not most of the foreign bereaved cannot actually name a second cathedral in France.

Chartres. Want more?

Old 15th April 2019, 11:52 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Reims.

Shut up.

Old 15th April 2019, 11:53 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Eh. I take a somewhat longer view, I guess.
The building's 900 years old, man. Concede the point.

Old 15th April 2019, 11:54 AM   #40
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm going to sound like an asshat but I would've traded a few lives to keep this priceless, timeless artpiece. Generations have looked to this building as an important piece of history.
I understand what you are saying, but it wouldn't have been a trade. It would just mean that we had lost lives along with the building and contents.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events