ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #2921
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
His crisis bump is obviously disappearing. Even the latest Rasmussen poll (which normally is his best poll) taken April 1-5 has an approval/disapproval gap of nine points (44/53).

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...s/?cid=rrpromo
Don't you be trying to restore my faith in the American people at a time like this.

I saw a bit that commented how New Yorkers were taking more personal responsibility the more of them were personally impacted by the virus.

If that happened politically as well as medically, it would be a very good thing.

Let's hope that poll is the start of something actually beautiful - the crumbling of support for the worst political joke ever perpetrated.

Is anyone keeping track of how many people he's fired so far?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6e1a2e0fabbf5
Old 7th April 2020, 12:20 PM   #2922
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What the hell does the fact that the IG he attacked had also worked under the Obama Admin have to do with anything? All his petulant tweet does is underscore his obsessive hatred of Obama. Trump is one sick puppy.
Nothing. It's his latest excuse to fire the guy in order to put a loyalist in that will be sure to "overlook" funds distributed by the recent Covid-19 spending bills.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:27 PM   #2923
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nothing. It's his latest excuse to fire the guy in order to put a loyalist in that will be sure to "overlook" funds distributed by the recent Covid-19 spending bills.
I was referring to the IG he attacked, Christi Grimm, because of the report on the lack of medical supplies.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 01:07 PM   #2924
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

And, I'm not even sure it's a question. Trump lives in his own reality. He'll never accept anything that doesn't fit.

He's like a black hole and sucks us out of reality into that unreality.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 01:13 PM   #2925
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I was referring to the IG he attacked, Christi Grimm, because of the report on the lack of medical supplies.

It's the same excuse. If he can paint the IG as a Deep State Obama Loyalist, all his idiot supporters will just accept the firing, because obviously they were just out to Get Trump Out Of Spite, Just Like Everyone Else In The Government.
Old 7th April 2020, 01:20 PM   #2926
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But peripheral vision is the sides!
Good un!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 01:24 PM   #2927
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But peripheral vision is the sides!
Sides effect?
We're very proud of the job we've done.
MAGA loves the Black people.
President Donald J. Trump
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:09 PM   #2928
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

"We're the federal government, we're not supposed to be standing on street corners testing . . . You should have said ‘Congratulations, great job', instead of being so horrid in the way you ask a question.”

Seriously? Then what are you for Mr. Wartime president?

What a leader!
We're very proud of the job we've done.
MAGA loves the Black people.
President Donald J. Trump
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:12 PM   #2929
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's the same excuse. If he can paint the IG as a Deep State Obama Loyalist, all his idiot supporters will just accept the firing, because obviously they were just out to Get Trump Out Of Spite, Just Like Everyone Else In The Government.
I don't disagree with that. I was clarifying for thaiboxerken.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:16 PM   #2930
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Trump just removed the Pentagon IG who would have overseen the Corona Relief funds. Source: NBC).

This is why we need a professional bureaucracy 100% beyond the ability of any politician to influence or control. The "deep state" is absolutely ESSENTIAL to proper governance.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28

Last edited by ChristianProgressive; 7th April 2020 at 04:14 PM.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:18 PM   #2931
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Let's hope that poll is the start of something actually beautiful - the crumbling of support for the worst political joke act of war ever perpetrated.
FIFY
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:34 PM   #2932
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Trump just removed the Pentagon IG who would haver oversawn the Corona Relief funds. Source: NBC).

This is why we need a professional bureaucracy 100% beyond the ability of any politician to influence or control. The "deep state" is absolutely ESSENTIAL to proper governance.
We do NOT need a deep state. Someone's stalinist side is showing.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:48 PM   #2933
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
You are wrong. The "deep" state is comprised of non-partisan government employees that keep the machinery of government running. Someone's CT side is showing.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:52 PM   #2934
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

You are wrong. The "deep" state is comprised of non-partisan government employees that keep the machinery of government running. Someone's CT side is showing.
The Corona Bailout funds need to be overseen, by a trusted source, of which the trump Presidency is NOT.

I fear that the money will just go to himself and his cronies..

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 03:12 PM   #2935
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

WHO is the bogeyman de jour.
Old 7th April 2020, 03:23 PM   #2936
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Dear Leader is raging that he is cutting money to the Post Office to make them charge internet companies (Amazon?) more for package delivery.

He's claiming that he's against mail ballots because everybody cheats and they're all fraudulent.

Now he's touting chloroquine and praising the legislator who claims it cured her.

If I throw a brick through my TV, is there some government program that will reimburse me?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 03:30 PM   #2937
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Right...Gov Evers wanted to delay election all because Trump endorsed the Republican. Is anything EVER not about HIM?
Old 7th April 2020, 03:33 PM   #2938
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, there's just so much corruption in mail in voting according to the Idiot in Chief. It's worked here for a long time and no accusations of corruption.

He's stopped a reporter in the middle of her question, which he misunderstood because she couldn't finish, and then just moved on.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th April 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 7th April 2020, 03:41 PM   #2939
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Dear Leader is raging that he is cutting money to the Post Office to make them charge internet companies (Amazon?) more for package delivery.

He's claiming that he's against mail ballots because everybody cheats and they're all fraudulent.

Now he's touting chloroquine and praising the legislator who claims it cured her.

If I throw a brick through my TV, is there some government program that will reimburse me?
Not due to a brick, but if your were to shoot it with a hand gun you may qualify for recompense from the (not a government program) NRA’s Elvis Presley Commemorative Video Pistolero Reciprocity Fund.
Old 7th April 2020, 04:07 PM   #2940
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just had a conf call w/ major lenders discussing our Great Small Businesses & the #PPPloan. I ask every company, big & small, making announcements about innovative contributions, hiring new workers, or looking to overcome setbacks to share your stories with #AmericaWorksTogether!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 04:15 PM   #2941
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Someone's criminal enabling is showing. Nations with a strong administrative state like Brittain do not have corruption like this, not for long at any rate.

Old 7th April 2020, 04:17 PM   #2942
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

No, but if you could manage to throw it upside his orange head, there are millions of Americans who would cheer you.

Old 7th April 2020, 04:34 PM   #2943
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
The Corona Bailout funds need to be overseen, by a trusted source, of which the trump Presidency is NOT.

I fear that the money will just go to himself and his cronies..
You trust unelected officials? President Trump has the backing of the American people; in 2016 he came close to getting the most votes.
Old 7th April 2020, 04:56 PM   #2944
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...It's his latest excuse to fire the guy in order to put a loyalist in that will be sure to "overlook" funds distributed by the recent Covid-19 spending bills.
Nice. Now Trump steals from the sick and needy. Unbelievable.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 05:46 PM   #2945
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
US operatives have been staking out tarmacs in France and Germany with wads of cash and buying shipments out from under their governments.
[Citation needed]
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 05:53 PM   #2946
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You trust unelected officials? President Trump has the backing of the American people; in 2016 he came close to getting the most votes.
And he had the most bigly inauguration crowd in history!
Old 7th April 2020, 05:55 PM   #2947
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wonder... does the secret service purposely leave the gates to the white house grounds open, on the hope that Trump might wander out into traffic and get run over?
That's why there is a fence around Mar-a-Lago. To keep the massive tangerine twit in.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 05:57 PM   #2948
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

They claim that the President and VP are being tested regularly, and that people with access to them are also being tested. It still would make sense to keep them apart.
They need to be six feet apart. A suggestion is to make that six feet under for Trump.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 05:57 PM   #2949
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That's why there is a fence around Mar-a-Lago. To keep the massive tangerine twit in.
If only we could contain him there.
Old 7th April 2020, 06:48 PM   #2950
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
"We're the federal government, we're not supposed to be standing on street corners testing . . . You should have said ‘Congratulations, great job', instead of being so horrid in the way you ask a question.”

Seriously? Then what are you for Mr. Wartime president?

What a leader!
“Horrid?”
Old 7th April 2020, 07:46 PM   #2951
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
You know, I always feared that Trump would have a major crisis land in his lap, but I thought he would just be incompetent. What he's doing now is just horrid (yes, like those evil reporters with their (((journalism))).
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 07:54 PM   #2952
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
[Citation needed]
I already gave that citiation.

Old 7th April 2020, 08:26 PM   #2953
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
“Horrid?”
Perhaps he's a Victorian era English schoolgirl?
Old 7th April 2020, 09:23 PM   #2954
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

It has to be infuriating, suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome.

When you hate so much, it really clouds your judgement.

You can even disagree with him then, and be reasonable about it.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 09:51 PM   #2955
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Trump, by contrast, saw something that he heard in the media about some miracle cure, latched onto it, and made it all about himself. I'm sure that when it turns out that it isn't a miracle cure, he will deny he ever said it was.
While that's likely the main driver (That and Guiliani and a few others close to him), it's probably best not to ignore that, at last check, Trump has a personal financial interest in play, per the NYT. Apparently, he owns stock in a company that makes the drug. While it is possible that he doesn't even know that... this is a guy with a long, long history of stiffing the little guys for relatively small amounts of money. It would be entirely in character for him to be playing it up for sake of making a few bucks.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I saw a question on Quora one time that was like, "Why do people thing that Trump supporters are stupid." The answer went through a lot of the implications of being a Trump supporter and concluded with something like, "...We consider them stupid because the alternative is a lot less flattering."
You're thinking of this, perhaps? I didn't see it on Quora, though I could have missed it. The top answer on Quora is pretty long, too, and has a similar thrust, though.

Oh, there's just so much corruption in mail in voting according to the Idiot in Chief. It's worked here for a long time and no accusations of corruption.
To be fair about this - voting by mail is pretty much the most vulnerable to election-tipping fraud, as a general rule, though the argument can be made that unverifiable digital voting is potentially worse, given the complete lack of verifiable physical records. That doesn't mean that there's much actual fraud that happens.

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Conmen tend to go after the most vulnerable. This isn't new in general or for Trump.

Last edited by Aridas; 7th April 2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: () fix
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 09:57 PM   #2956
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You are wrong. The "deep" state is comprised of non-partisan government employees that keep the machinery of government running.
In the UK we call it The Civil Service.

Watch any episode of Yes Minister to see how it works.
Old 7th April 2020, 10:53 PM   #2957
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

On 17 March President Trump promised that every American would get a cheque in 2 weeks. Is this another failed "2 week promise" ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 11:15 PM   #2958
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

To be fair about this -
Quote:
voting by mail is pretty much the most vulnerable to election-tipping fraud, as a general rule
, though the argument can be made that unverifiable digital voting is potentially worse, given the complete lack of verifiable physical records. That doesn't mean that there's much actual fraud that happens.
Yet there seems to be little vote fraud involved with voting by mail.

Election experts say Trump is partially correct, that there is slightly more fraud in mail-voting than in-person voting. But they caution that both can be done safely and securely, and that election fraud is extremely rare in all instances.
Quote:
"Where there is fraud in the system, it really seems to be in mail balloting," said Lonna Atkeson, a political science professor at the University of New Mexico. "There's some, there's not a lot. I think there's a little bit."
Quote:
But experts, especially those with experience in the handful of states that vote completely by mail, say states can implement things like ballot tracking, as well as pre-paid postage and ballot drop boxes which eliminate the need for voters to hand over their ballots to a third party.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ump-says-it-is
Old 7th April 2020, 11:57 PM   #2959
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Do you make enough money per hour that you can fart the sum needed to buy a dozen replacement TVs? Then yeah, the government will pay for your TV. "Congress" is the program you're looking for.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 12:44 AM   #2960
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Yet there seems to be little vote fraud involved with voting by mail.
To poke at the next sentence... "That doesn't mean that there's much actual fraud that happens." Yes, though, as far as we can tell, voter fraud is remarkably rare, overall, and the increased turnout associated with allowing everyone the chance to vote easily by mail fairly certainly increases electoral integrity by multiple orders of magnitude more than fraud will reduce electoral integrity, provided that serious, but reasonable, measures are taken to ensure safety and security.

Last edited by Aridas; 8th April 2020 at 12:51 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics