ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 30th March 2019, 10:48 PM   #1761
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Why would the ethnicity of the law enforcement officers make a difference? In New Zealand, is it common and/or acceptable for people of one ethnic group to treat members of a different ethnic group more harshly than their own? In the United States, a prisoner if supposed to be treated the way prisoners are treated. The ethnicity of anybody involved shouldn't influence anything.
Oh dear, you've missed the point. Why am I not surprised?

(nice little show of poutrage though)

So just lock him up in solitary confinement without a trial?
Dangerous prisoners should be locked up until trial (unless of course, you think someone who murdered 50 people and wounded 50 more is not dangerous?

Make it as though Brenton Harrison Tarrant just walked into a dense fog late one night and was never heard from again?
Once he's tried and found guilty (and he will be found guilty) I don't care what happens to him. He's scum.

Should he happen to die in prison (and if he ends up in the prison general population, that is very likely to happen, cremate him and flush the cremains down the toilet).

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 10:54 PM   #1762
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Dangerous prisoners should be locked up until trial (unless of course, you think someone who murdered 50 people and wounded 50 more is not dangerous?

Once he's tried and found guilty (and he will be found guilty) I don't care what happens to him. He's scum.

Should he happen to die in prison (and if he ends up in the prison general population, that is very likely to happen, cremate him and flush the cremains down the toilet).
And what ever basic prisoner rights he loses prior to his trial doesn't matter?

Edit: Not even going to bother with whatever ethnicity of wardens thing argument is as it is just weird and I don't know what it is.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 30th March 2019 at 11:00 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:30 PM   #1763
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
How do you know kicking doors is a distortion of the truth ? There's obviously some police version of the events where they deny doing that, right ?
It's your claim; the burden on is you is to provide evidence.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:39 PM   #1764
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, What ? Tarrant gave them money ?
When has anybody said this?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 11:59 PM   #1765
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
When has anybody said this?
Everybody?

including Martin Sellner, who heads the Austrian branch of the Europe-wide Identitarian Movement.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:13 AM   #1766
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...you've gone from:

So kicking the doors of multiple properties over a facebook photo is a good thing, right ? Maybe we'll get lucky and find out this "suspected suicide" was really a police sniper bullet to the head.
to this:

It's just a figure of speech really, this whole kicking in the door thing. I'm not meaning the NZ police literally go up to a door, shout POLICE ! as they knock loudly then raise a jack booted foot and apply a swift kick to the door to bust it open before rushing in with weapons drawn. Especially not when dealing with violent offenders, no sir they don't kick in the door.

They use a battering ram like everybody else.

Until we find out what those reasonable grounds were, we work with what we got.
And even now there is no evidence to suggest that a battering ram was used in the execution of the warrant. There is nothing to indicate the police had to force entry to the 3 premises they raided. This is New Zealand. The police aren't even routinely armed. They don't go around breaking down doors unless they absolutely have to: and there is nothing in the article you cited that gives the impression that this particular case was an exception.

Can you, just for a little bit, stop making stuff up? We are reading the same article, and the fact that you feel the need, even now, to continue to embellish the story is starting to be getting a bit tiresome.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:32 AM   #1767
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Everybody?

including Martin Sellner, who heads the Austrian branch of the Europe-wide Identitarian Movement.

I never heard of that movement, but I can see that they would like Scania and Schleswig-Holstein to return to Denmark. I’m sure that Swedish and German nationalists would love that idea …
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:45 AM   #1768
dann
Penultimate Amazing

So kicking the doors of multiple properties over a facebook photo is a good thing, right ? Maybe we'll get lucky and find out this "suspected suicide" was really a police sniper bullet to the head.

The police suspecting (and finding!) "an illegal, modified SKS semi-automatic" owned by suspected Nazis seems to be a pretty solid reason for (allegedly) kicking doors if that's what they actually did.
Why do you dream of "a police sniper bullet to the head"? The article doesn't mention a single shot being fired so I assume that you are just 'elaborating' again.
His son even mentions a reason why he may have killed himself:

Quote:
He said his father, who had previously spent time in prison for assault, was worried about going back to prison for possessing the illegal firearm.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 31st March 2019 at 01:49 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:50 AM   #1769
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...you've gone from:

to this:

And even now there is no evidence to suggest that a battering ram was used in the execution of the warrant. There is nothing to indicate the police had to force entry to the 3 premises they raided. This is New Zealand. The police aren't even routinely armed. They don't go around breaking down doors unless they absolutely have to: and there is nothing in the article you cited that gives the impression that this particular case was an exception.

Can you, just for a little bit, stop making stuff up? We are reading the same article, and the fact that you feel the need, even now, to continue to embellish the story is starting to be getting a bit tiresome.
Personally would have said "a pinch annoying" , but maybe you have thicker skin.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 02:08 AM   #1770
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

...you've gone from:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout
to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout
It's just a figure of speech really, this whole kicking in the door thing. I'm not meaning the NZ police literally go up to a door, shout POLICE ! as they knock loudly then raise a jack booted foot and apply a swift kick to the door to bust it open before rushing in with weapons drawn. Especially not when dealing with violent offenders, no sir they don't kick in the door.

They use a battering ram like everybody else.

Until we find out what those reasonable grounds were, we work with what we got.
That is quite a substantial walk back, and a clear indication that he is completely ignorant of how things are done in this country.

When whole cloth is all you have, making stuff up is all you can do.

I don't accept Stout's pathetic "figure of speech" defence. He/she made an unevidenced claim, namely that "the militarized police kicked in the doors of not only the kid but also those of his mother and grandparents". That is a claim of fact; one that is not borne out by any evidence. I expect no less than for Stout to either substantiate his claim or immediately retract the claim... unconditionally! Its what any decent and honest person would to in those circumstances.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 02:13 AM   #1771
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

to this:

That is quite a substantial walk back, and a clear indication that he is completely ignorant of how things are done in this country.

When whole cloth is all you have, making stuff up is all you can do.

I don't accept Stout's pathetic "figure of speech" defence. He/she made an unevidenced claim, namely that "the militarized police kicked in the doors of not only the kid but also those of his mother and grandparents". That is a claim of fact; one that is not borne out by any evidence. I expect no less than for Stout to either substantiate his claim or immediately retract the claim... unconditionally! Its what any decent and honest person would to in those circumstances.
Maybe Stout has just read too much Judge Dredd

Old 31st March 2019, 05:12 AM   #1772
Stout
Illuminator

Ok Ok Ok . I'll retract the claim and acknowledge that a forced enrty is something that's never done by police in New Zealand. Likewise with the militarized police statement. All these photos I've seen with police packing assault rifles, like the one of the officer guarding a funeral, are just.....Photoshop ?

We know now that dear old dad stabbed himself, so I'll even eat that statement too.

It's interesting just what actually ruffles Kiwi feathers. A few over the top statements bring out the rage maching yet something even more absurd, like 14 years for facebooking a manifesto is just hunky dory.

Oh and speaking of manifestos, the Unabomber's one is still out there and freely available so you better let your government know. Wouldn't want to see anyone radicalized by that piece of terrorist writing.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 05:48 AM   #1773
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

It's interesting just what actually ruffles Kiwi feathers. A few over the top statements bring out the rage maching yet something even more absurd, like 14 years for facebooking a manifesto is just hunky dory.
...there was no "rage maching" (whatever maching means) in my responses to you. Even now you continue to bluster. Once again: can you please stop making stuff up? Like "14 years for facebooking a manifesto." Another invention. The law:

Originally Posted by The Law
Anybody who knowingly makes or knowingly trades, distributes, or displays an objectionable publication via the Internet can receive a maximum of 14 years imprisonment.
https://www.dia.govt.nz/Censorship-O...icted-Material

Merely looking up the manifesto on Facebook doesn't apply. And this is a maximum sentence, not a mandatory minimum, and typically in NZ people normally only serve half their sentence. This is an example of sentencing under the act:

Originally Posted by NZ Herald
Among the files were videos showing Turkish soldiers being burned alive, prisoners having their throats cut or being shot, and one man being executed by machine gun fire.

There were 68 images or videos containing logos or imagery linked to ISIS.

He also had a copy of the Terrorist Handbook, which detailed ways to make explosives out of household items.

Police also found 219 images and videos on Madams' computer showing child exploitation.

The search of Madams' computer came after he posted videos to YouTube in which he encouraged viewers to "kill the tyrants".

He posted more than one video to the website, telling people to "get up and find anything at all and go out there and find and kill the tyrants, where ever they may be," Judge Stephanie Edwards said.
The sentence he got?

Quote:
Judge Edwards said the mitigating factors allowed a significant discount to his sentence. She said the focus of the sentence needed to be rehabilitation.

Madams was sentenced to six months of community detention with a night-time curfew, and two years of intensive supervision.

Sentence conditions include restrictions on possessing material that promotes violence, and owning devices that have internet access.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12037850

So you are posting misleading information yet again. Can you please stop doing that?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 06:16 AM   #1774
Stout
Illuminator

Oops, that "g" should have been an "e" typos happen.

So did I just make a claim and have you respond that's it's true but probably won't happen so it's "misinformation" Am I reading that correctly ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 06:21 AM   #1775
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

So did I just make a claim and have you respond that's it's true but probably won't happen so it's "misinformation" Am I reading that correctly ?
...no it isn't true. You can't get "14 years for facebooking a manifesto". To get 14 years requires you to "knowingly trades, distributes, or displays an objectionable publication via the Internet." "Facebooking the manifesto" isn't enough.

But if you had read my cite you would have known that. Or even just read the snippet I quoted. Perhaps "not reading" is the problem.
Old 31st March 2019, 06:22 AM   #1776
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Oops, that "g" should have been an "e" typos happen.

No, you didn't, and no, you aren't.
Old 31st March 2019, 06:24 AM   #1777
Stout
Illuminator

...no it isn't true. You can't get "14 years for facebooking a manifesto". To get 14 years requires you to "knowingly trades, distributes, or displays an objectionable publication via the Internet." "Facebooking the manifesto" isn't enough.

But if you had read my cite you would have known that. Or even just read the snippet I quoted. Perhaps "not reading" is the problem.
So putting this manifesto on facebook can't get you 14 years ?
Old 31st March 2019, 06:31 AM   #1778
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

So putting this manifesto on facebook can't get you 14 years ?
...you didn't say "putting". You said "facebooking". Which means activity on facebook, doesn't directly imply uploading or display. If that is what you meant: then that is what you should say. Context and nuance is important.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:34 AM   #1779
Stout
Illuminator

...you didn't say "putting". You said "facebooking". Which means activity on facebook, doesn't directly imply uploading or display. If that is what you meant: then that is what you should say. Context and nuance is important.
So we're down to interpretation of what terms mean. A statement like "I just made some blueberry muffins, I think I'll Instagram them" carries a certain implied meaning but in the future i'll try to be more clear by stating that I'm going to take a picture of the blueberries muffins I made and upload that photo to my Instagram account and hope that picture makes it through content moderation so all those followers I bought can see them and drool over my baking skills.
Old 31st March 2019, 10:11 AM   #1780
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Interpretation of statements is an important part of the law.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 12:27 PM   #1781
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Some people might be saying "but his rights, his rights"? The only "rights I care about at the moment is those of the victims, the survivors, and their families.
He is in protective custody inside a maximum security jail.

The article points out that he is indeed entitled to phone calls, as long as security and staffing allow.

Maybe Corrections could offer him a phone call from the general area of the prison. They're keeping the piece of filth alive at great cost to an already understaffed prison.

Corrections have made the correct decision in not allowing his phone calls to take priority over anything else.

No laws are being broken.

So just lock him up in solitary confinement without a trial? Make it as though Brenton Harrison Tarrant just walked into a dense fog late one night and was never heard from again?
He is not in solitary confinement, and is allowed exercise. He's being held in protective custody. Christ, even the paedophiles in segregation want to kill him.

I'm sure Corrections would love to let him loose with other prisoners - he's disrupted their work and rosters to a ridiculous degree and he'd be dead in seconds in D Block.

However, we are determined to make the virgin short man writhing with complete inadequacy, Brenton Harrison Tarrant, stand up in court and face the charges and not allow him to become a martyr to the insane cause he espouses.

Anyone with a problem with anything happening to Tarrant is either ignorant of the real world or just trolling. He is having no rights withheld, except where the greater good of keeping him alive is concerned.
Old 31st March 2019, 12:36 PM   #1782
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

An interesting thought occurred to me this morning:

If video of the Chch Massacre is so illegal that distributing a copy gets you thrown in jail without any chance of bail, why is Fahrenehit 9/11 still available in NZ?

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm assured it has a beheading and other violent deaths in it.

For that matter, I might be breaking the same law myself, since I have a stream available on my own website of the film stolen & released by Chelsea Manning of the gutless & gleeful US army filth shooting & killing a Reuters reporter and other civilians.

Double standard much?
Old 31st March 2019, 01:13 PM   #1783
Samson
Philosopher

I don't really understand his not guilty plea.
Will he claim he is a war prisoner or a political prisoner?

Does he have access to writing materials, reading material, and if so what?

Or is it complete sensory deprivation?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:26 PM   #1784
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

So we're down to interpretation of what terms mean.
...ummmm, yeah?

Thats kinda how the English language works?

And also how the law works?

Quote:
A statement like "I just made some blueberry muffins, I think I'll Instagram them" carries a certain implied meaning but in the future i'll try to be more clear by stating that I'm going to take a picture of the blueberries muffins I made and upload that photo to my Instagram account and hope that picture makes it through content moderation so all those followers I bought can see them and drool over my baking skills.
Except we aren't talking about making blueberry muffins. Context is important. Intent is important. We can determine your intent by reading your previous statements in this thread. We know that you are being disingenuous: I will gladly ignore any comments you make about baking. But you aren't talking about making muffins. You've painted a very specific picture: "police kicking in doors", "people jailed for 14 years for using facebook". We know what you are trying to do. Except you aren't very good at it.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:27 PM   #1785
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
...he's trolling.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:41 PM   #1786
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Does he have access to writing materials, reading material, and if so what?

Or is it complete sensory deprivation?
I do. By entering a plea of not-guilty, he forces it to trial.

He will try to use the trial as a platform for his hate-filled white supremacist rage. He is not interested in a "fair trial", he's only interested in spewing his garbage, and a trial will give him that opportunity - he can take the stand in his own defense.

What I hope happens is that the judge orders the trial "in-camera" and suppresses the reporting of any of his testimony to the public. Jurors in NZ are not allowed to discuss their deliberation even after a trial (if they do they are in contempt of court)

The result will be that he will be denied any opportunity to get his vile message out.

Old 31st March 2019, 01:45 PM   #1787
Samson
Philosopher

That is a personal attack banquetbear. I am posing genuine questions that I am interested in having answered.
I see no point in the not guilty plea without this guy having a further motive to disrupt, and your complete understanding of the case could help illuminate.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:55 PM   #1788
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

That is a personal attack banquetbear. I am posing genuine questions that I am interested in having answered.
I see no point in the not guilty plea without this guy having a further motive to disrupt, and your complete understanding of the case could help illuminate.
...I'm not talking about you.

I'm talking about him.

He is pleading not-guilty because he is trolling. He's an alt-right 8-chan white-supremacist. He's doing it for the LOL's.

Last edited by banquetbear; 31st March 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:10 PM   #1789
Samson
Philosopher

...I'm not talking about you.

I'm talking about him.

He is pleading not-guilty because he is trolling. He's an alt-right 8-chan white-supremacist. He's doing it for the LOL's.
Ok sorry, and thank you for clarifying.
The issue I see is how the courts operate.

He knows he has murdered, and a not guilty plea can only be attached to a claim of insanity. But his role model Brevick fought tooth and nail against that accusation, and would be self defeating for his "cause".
So once more the court system in New Zealand becomes a theater of game playing and divorced from truth seeking.

I suggest a fast track system where there is no solemn processing of a case where the facts are not in dispute.
Old 31st March 2019, 03:13 PM   #1790
Stout
Illuminator

Except we aren't talking about making blueberry muffins. Context is important. Intent is important. We can determine your intent by reading your previous statements in this thread. We know that you are being disingenuous: I will gladly ignore any comments you make about baking. But you aren't talking about making muffins. You've painted a very specific picture: "police kicking in doors", "people jailed for 14 years for using facebook". We know what you are trying to do. Except you aren't very good at it.
My good sir. At no point have I ever made reference to "people jailed for 14 years for using facebook". The word "jailed" appears nowhere in this thread except for you post.

I may be better at this than you think.
Old 31st March 2019, 03:18 PM   #1791
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

My good sir. At no point have I ever made reference to "people jailed for 14 years for using facebook". The word "jailed" appears nowhere in this thread except for you post.
...if I wanted to quote you directly I would have used the quote function. It was a paraphrase of your position: and an entirely fair one as well.

Quote:
I may be better at this than you think.
Nope. Not even close.
Old 31st March 2019, 04:23 PM   #1792
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

...you've gone from:

to this:

And even now there is no evidence to suggest that a battering ram was used in the execution of the warrant. There is nothing to indicate the police had to force entry to the 3 premises they raided. This is New Zealand. The police aren't even routinely armed.
The police are not routinely armed? Upthread I saw that there's no security screening for domestic flights in New Zealand? Just how White is your country?

Quote:
They don't go around breaking down doors unless they absolutely have to: and there is nothing in the article you cited that gives the impression that this particular case was an exception.

You're getting hung up on a figure of speech. In a modern 21st Century country that enjoys the vibrant diversity of multiculturalism--like the United States--literally "kicking in a door" to serve a search warrant isn't common only because most people are not strong enough to break down an exterior door with their foot with one kick. But when police serve a search warrant they will use whatever force is necessary to gain entry to the area they want to search rapidly enough to ensure the occupants cannot resist, escape, or destroy evidence. This ensures that excessive force will be applied most of the time and that the event will be terrifying and very dangerous to anybody who is inside.

If "kicking in a door" to serve a search warrant is unfathomable in New Zealand, we're dealing with a disconnect between the way New Zealander's conceptualize serving a search warrant and the way Americans conceptualize it. The New Zealand way simply would not work in the United States.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 04:52 PM   #1793
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

The police are not routinely armed? Upthread I saw that there's no security screening for domestic flights in New Zealand? Just how White is your country?
...I have no idea what this means. How "White" is New Zealand? Are you talking about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyiAT1RelU

There are screening for domestic flights: just not all domestic flights, as has been explained throughout this thread.

Quote:
You're getting hung up on a figure of speech.
I'm pointing out that someone is intentionally being misleading.

Quote:
In a modern 21st Century country that enjoys the vibrant diversity of multiculturalism--like the United States--literally "kicking in a door" to serve a search warrant isn't common only because most people are not strong enough to break down an exterior door with their foot with one kick. But when police serve a search warrant they will use whatever force is necessary to gain entry to the area they want to search rapidly enough to ensure the occupants cannot resist, escape, or destroy evidence. This ensures that excessive force will be applied most of the time and that the event will be terrifying and very dangerous to anybody who is inside.
Your experiences in the United States is irrelevant to experiences found in other parts of the world. There is no need to use excessive force when simply knocking on the door and saying "we have a warrant to search this house" can also mean they gain rapid entry, prevent escape, and stop them destroying evidence. "Breaking down the door" doesn't prevent them from resisting. Terrifying 16-year-old kids is counter-productive to effective policing. Safer communities together. Always blow on the pie.

Quote:
If "kicking in a door" to serve a search warrant is unfathomable in New Zealand, we're dealing with a disconnect between the way New Zealander's conceptualize serving a search warrant and the way Americans conceptualize it. The New Zealand way simply would not work in the United States.
Well we are talking about New Zealand. I can certainly conceptualize serving a warrant the way Americans conceptualize it, I've seen plenty of examples. But I'm pretty sure those examples are not representative: and that in America (just like everywhere else) search warrants are commonly executed without the need to intentionally "terrify" the occupants of the house. And in New Zealand, if needed, then the police will use force to execute a search warrant. However there is no evidence that in this particular case they needed to do so, nor that they did do so, and stating or implying that they did is misleading.
Old 31st March 2019, 04:54 PM   #1794
Steve
Philosopher

You're getting hung up on a figure of speech. In a modern 21st Century country that enjoys the vibrant diversity of multiculturalism--like the United States--literally "kicking in a door" to serve a search warrant isn't common only because most people are not strong enough to break down an exterior door with their foot with one kick. But when police serve a search warrant they will use whatever force is necessary to gain entry to the area they want to search rapidly enough to ensure the occupants cannot resist, escape, or destroy evidence. This ensures that excessive force will be applied most of the time and that the event will be terrifying and very dangerous to anybody who is inside.

The violence common in police work in the US is not exactly a surprise to anyone here. It is just quite unusual for people in most of the more civilized countries. It is really nothing for Americans to be proud of.
Old 31st March 2019, 05:04 PM   #1795
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

So what is the point of reporting that Brendan Tarrant will not be guarded by White law enforcement officers (as had been erroneously reported in an earlier story) and that the officers who transported him to jail were not of European extraction?

No poutrage. I'm just curious. This is not something that gets reported in our newspapers.

Quote:

I understand that emotions are running on overdrive. But locking Brendan Tarrant in solitary confinement without any outside contact before trial is a bit of an overreaction. Not an over overreaction like transporting him to Guantanamo Bay where he can be stripped of all human rights and held indefinitely without a trial. And certainly not as ******* crazy an overreaction as taking away everybody's guns or arresting kids for downloading the video or sharing a link to his manifesto. But an overreaction nonetheless.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 05:27 PM   #1796
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The violence common in police work in the US is not exactly a surprise to anyone here. It is just quite unusual for people in most of the more civilized countries. It is really nothing for Americans to be proud of.
What's unusual is when skeptics would rather get on their high horse than try to understand why things are different in different parts of the world
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 05:36 PM   #1797
angrysoba
Philosophile

Ok Ok Ok . I'll retract the claim and acknowledge that a forced enrty is something that's never done by police in New Zealand. Likewise with the militarized police statement. All these photos I've seen with police packing assault rifles, like the one of the officer guarding a funeral, are just.....Photoshop ?

We know now that dear old dad stabbed himself, so I'll even eat that statement too.

Oh and speaking of manifestos, the Unabomber's one is still out there and freely available so you better let your government know. Wouldn't want to see anyone radicalized by that piece of terrorist writing.
Mate, you got called on your BS and all you keep doing is digging deeper.

Nobody says “forced entries never happen” or that there are no police with guns only that you haven’t demonstrated that “militarized police kicked down the door” of this guy. Just admit it and move on, FFS.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 05:36 PM   #1798
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What I hope happens is that the judge orders the trial "in-camera" and suppresses the reporting of any of his testimony to the public.
I'm certain that will be exactly the case.

The police are not routinely armed?
Nope, absolutely not. I expect their current fully-armed status to return to the status quo fairly quickly.

They're not usually very far from their weapons, however, which are locked in the boot of the car and not unlocked unless the other guy is known to be armed. Police doing traffic duty don't usually even have a gun in the boot. Getting pulled up for speeding by a gun-toting cop in NZ has never happened, I'd say. The only possible circumstance is if they were chasing someone who was thought to be armed, but in the normal course you just don't see armed cops in NZ.

The few cops that do inner-city beats have always been unarmed, except in the odd rare circumstance for short periods.

They don't need them, and we quite like it like that.
Old 31st March 2019, 05:37 PM   #1799
Stout
Illuminator

...if I wanted to quote you directly I would have used the quote function. It was a paraphrase of your position: and an entirely fair one as well.
You say paraphrase, I say complete fabrication. It maybe something that you wished I'd said but, no.

All we have is your speculation vs my speculation and let's face it, my speculation is much more interesting.
Old 31st March 2019, 05:47 PM   #1800
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

You say paraphrase, I say complete fabrication. It maybe something that you wished I'd said but, no.

All we have is your speculation vs my speculation and let's face it, my speculation is much more interesting.
...I'm sorry, but are you still going?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events