ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 10:43 AM   #441
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here's an unexpected endorsement:

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/polit...ump/index.html
The Republican mayor of Sterling Heights, Michigan, a key battleground state, is voting for Joe Biden in Michigan's Democratic primary on Tuesday after supporting President Donald Trump in 2016, telling CNN that his decision is about wanting "basic human decency" in a president.

Granted, I don't think the endorsement of a mayor will have that much influence on who the voters in the city pick. Still, every vote helps.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:49 AM   #442
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Corey Booker was on The View this morning. When asked why he was now endorsing Biden and not Sanders, he replied that he likes both but believes Biden has a better chance of beating Trump.

Quote:
"As I look at the future, I know that Joe Biden is the best position of the people in that race," Booker told the hosts, just one day after endorsing Biden. "I'm excited about the prospect that he could help unify the Democrats ... and actually be the leader that can reach out to independents, to moderate Republicans."

"[Biden] has the best chance of not only beating Donald Trump, but of beginning to heal the country," Booker, also a former 2020 presidential candidate, added.
Quote:
"I feel a sense of urgency about this election. I want everyone to know: make your own decision, follow your own heart," Booker said. "But if you want to know where I'm going, I'm on team Joe. I'm ridin' with Biden."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jers...ry?id=69502085

Oddly, Booker made no mention of belonging to an establishment conspiracy to put a dementia addled man in the White House. But we know what's really (wink wink) going on, don't we?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 11:51 AM   #443
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

The Republican mayor of Sterling Heights, Michigan, a key battleground state, is voting for Joe Biden in Michigan's Democratic primary on Tuesday after supporting President Donald Trump in 2016, telling CNN that his decision is about wanting "basic human decency" in a president.

Granted, I don't think the endorsement of a mayor will have that much influence on who the voters in the city pick. Still, every vote helps.

Going on, every such endorsement could be connected to the sterling heights of the Bloomberg paycheck the endorser and/or the city receives.

Mini Mike must be fuming.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 10th March 2020 at 11:52 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 01:59 PM   #444
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Only by placing Booker's platitude-laden statements next to an argument from absurdity do they come out sounding...eh...nope, still not excited.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:02 PM   #445
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Quote:

The Republican mayor of Sterling Heights, Michigan, a key battleground state, is voting for Joe Biden
Going on, every such endorsement could be connected to the sterling heights of the Bloomberg paycheck the endorser and/or the city receives..
And your proof that such an endorsement is the result of a bribe from Bloomberg is what?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:05 PM   #446
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Only if he doesn't turn around and vote for Trump in November.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Corey Booker was on The View this morning. When asked why he was now endorsing Biden and not Sanders, he replied that he likes both but believes Biden has a better chance of beating Trump.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jers...ry?id=69502085

Oddly, Booker made no mention of belonging to an establishment conspiracy to put a dementia addled man in the White House. But we know what's really (wink wink) going on, don't we?
Running for Veep?
Old 10th March 2020, 02:06 PM   #447
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

And your proof that such an endorsement is the result of a bribe from Bloomberg is what?

Moronic question.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:08 PM   #448
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Moronic question.
Wrong
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:29 PM   #449
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Joe tells a Michigan voter he's full of **** when that voter accuses him of tryna take ma gunz! (based on a viral video, the current bane of our political discourse).

(I saw a couple of other links, from The Blaze and Reddit (yeah, I know) that claimed that, at one point, Biden threatened to slap the guy across the face- right after the "don't tell me that" in the video, around 0:50- but I'm not hearing that.)

Anyway...overall, IMO, good on Joe. I guess he could have been a little more old-fashioned PC about it, but, damn! I did like hearing it said straight out like that. My guess would be that Trump will try to use it against Joe; but I saw in another article that one of his campaign workers said that they would literally pay the Trumpers to keep tweeting that video.

ETA- according to a USA Today article, Biden did indeed say to the guy "don't tell me that, pal, or I'm going to go out and slap you in the face." That seems...a little over the top, at least.

ETA 2- evidently, the viral video that had the guy accusing Joe of saying he was "coming for them" (people's guns) was Joe meeting with Beto O'Rourke and telling O'Rourke's wife that, when he won and went to Washington, he was "coming for him" (O'Rourke), presumably to work in some capacity in his administration.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 10th March 2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: ETAs
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:38 PM   #450
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Joe tells a Michigan voter he's full of **** when that voter accuses him of tryna take ma gunz! (based on a viral video, the current bane of our political discourse).

(I saw a couple of other links, from The Blaze and Reddit (yeah, I know) that claimed that, at one point, Biden threatened to slap the guy across the face- right after the "don't tell me that" in the video, around 0:50- but I'm not hearing that.)

Anyway...overall, IMO, good on Joe. I guess he could have been a little more old-fashioned PC about it, but, damn! I did like hearing it said straight out like that. My guess would be that Trump will try to use it against Joe; but I saw in another article that one of his campaign workers said that they would literally pay the Trumpers to keep tweeting that video.

ETA- according to a USA Today article, Biden did indeed say to the guy "don't tell me that, pal, or I'm going to go out and slap you in the face." That seems...a little over the top, at least.
Biden earned +2 points in my estimation with that exchange. He's still well into the negative, but it's a step in the right direction.

Now, if he'd said "fools get slapped!" then done so that would have been +10. Style counts in these matters.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:48 PM   #451
Suddenly
No Punting

ETA 2- evidently, the viral video that had the guy accusing Joe of saying he was "coming for them" (people's guns) was Joe meeting with Beto O'Rourke and telling O'Rourke's wife that, when he won and went to Washington, he was "coming for him" (O'Rourke), presumably to work in some capacity in his administration.
That was Biden having a clue about how to communicate with that demographic. There is hope for him yet.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:58 PM   #452
xjx388
Philosopher

You have to look at it from the prospective constituent's POV. Biden has shared a stage with Beto O'Rourke and said of Beto: "I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee this is not the last you’ve seen of this guy — you’re going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re going to be the one who leads this effort. I’m counting on you. I’m counting on you. We need you badly — the state needs you, the country needs you, you’re the best."

Beto's position on guns is quite clear: He wants to take at least some of them. “[H]ell yes, we’re going to take you’re AR-15, your AK-47. We’re not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore.”

Now, Biden never said he's going to adopt Beto's gun policies wholesale, but I do think it's germane for this would-be consituent to raise the question. Biden had a chance to clear it up with a clear statement that he wasn't considering taking anyone's guns. Instead, he told the guy off and threatened to hit him. I thought the goal was to win voters, not blow them off.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:59 PM   #453
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
That was Biden having a clue about how to communicate with that demographic. There is hope for him yet.
I agree. That exchange was tone-ally perfect.
Old 10th March 2020, 03:10 PM   #454
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Biden told the guy he was going to take the"AR-14s" and later said the AR-15s are illegal. Biden can't find his posterior with both hands. There is no way this bullying loon who has no idea about what is going on in the world will ever be POTUS. Why Democrats want this dementia-ridden gaffe machine to run the country is one of the great mysteries in American history.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/10...e-your-ar-14s/
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:21 PM   #455
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Biden told the guy he was going to take the"AR-14s" and later said the AR-15s are illegal. Biden can't find his posterior with both hands. There is no way this bullying loon who has no idea about what is going on in the world will ever be POTUS. Why Democrats want this dementia-ridden gaffe machine to run the country is one of the great mysteries in American history.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/10...e-your-ar-14s/
In fairness to Biden, the guy DOES look like a total wuss bag.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:27 PM   #456
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'm not sure how that's fair to Biden. Unless you think it's fair to really press home the idea that Biden is a bullying douchebag who preys on anyone he thinks is weaker than him.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:28 PM   #457
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Only by placing Booker's platitude-laden statements next to an argument from absurdity do they come out sounding...eh...nope, still not excited.
Of course not. We're seldom excited by things that contradict our beliefs.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only if he doesn't turn around and vote for Trump in November.

Running for Veep?
Quite possibly.

He and all the other ex-candidates who have endorsed Biden are really Deep State agents for Hillary. Once one of them becomes Veep, they will install Hillary as POTUS.

I love this conspiracy stuff! It's fun!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:29 PM   #458
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Ah, violent epithets and "tough guy" talk is acceptable depending on who it's aimed at.

Nothing reveals the character of a political philosophy like being out of power.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 03:32 PM   #459
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You have to look at it from the prospective constituent's POV. Biden has shared a stage with Beto O'Rourke and said of Beto: "I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee this is not the last you’ve seen of this guy — you’re going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re going to be the one who leads this effort. I’m counting on you. I’m counting on you. We need you badly — the state needs you, the country needs you, you’re the best."

Beto's position on guns is quite clear: He wants to take at least some of them. “[H]ell yes, we’re going to take you’re AR-15, your AK-47. We’re not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore.”

Now, Biden never said he's going to adopt Beto's gun policies wholesale, but I do think it's germane for this would-be consituent to raise the question. Biden had a chance to clear it up with a clear statement that he wasn't considering taking anyone's guns. Instead, he told the guy off and threatened to hit him. I thought the goal was to win voters, not blow them off.
I'm all for that.
Old 10th March 2020, 03:39 PM   #460
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think that Corn Pop had a switchblade, and Biden had no fear there either.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:03 PM   #461
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

The "prospective constituent's POV" was informed by a viral video; nobody is under any obligation to bend over backwards and kiss the butt of anyone who won't inform himself any better than that. And Joe told him he supported the Second Amendment- whether that support is in line with what the 2A entitles anyone to is a matter for debate, but Joe did tell him exactly what he thought it did- that it doesn't mean gun-owners can have any gun they want, that living in a society means having to grow up a little and not having a childish hissy fit because you don't get to play with any toy you want no matter who gets hurt- it means limitations, as in the free speech analogy he made. So Joe did indeed "clear it up"; he didn't agree with the guy, but "clear it up" doesn't have to mean agreement. Too damn bad if the guy didn't like what he heard- nobody who bases his ideas of what a politician proposes on a viral video is going to ever vote for Joe anyway.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:05 PM   #462
xjx388
Philosopher

I'm all for that.
You and many others may be "all for that." But it should be pretty clear that this is a big issue for voters like the one in that video. There are a lot of voters like him that Biden should at least try to correct the record with even if they don't listen.

If you want him to tell off all the "gun nuts" like that, well, I guess that's a strategy he can follow. We will see how successful this tactic is.

Although, it does make me wonder what Dr. Lee et. al. have to say about the mental state of a candidate who directly threatens a voter . . .
Old 10th March 2020, 04:19 PM   #463
Cabbage
Suspended

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Which is why I say you didn't understand his point. Again, thanks for the demonstration.

OK, Boomer
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 05:36 PM   #464
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The "prospective constituent's POV" was informed by a viral video; nobody is under any obligation to bend over backwards and kiss the butt of anyone who won't inform himself any better than that. And Joe told him he supported the Second Amendment- whether that support is in line with what the 2A entitles anyone to is a matter for debate, but Joe did tell him exactly what he thought it did- that it doesn't mean gun-owners can have any gun they want, that living in a society means having to grow up a little and not having a childish hissy fit because you don't get to play with any toy you want no matter who gets hurt- it means limitations, as in the free speech analogy he made. So Joe did indeed "clear it up"; he didn't agree with the guy, but "clear it up" doesn't have to mean agreement. Too damn bad if the guy didn't like what he heard- nobody who bases his ideas of what a politician proposes on a viral video is going to ever vote for Joe anyway.
Is there any daylight between "kiss his butt" and "cuss at him" perhaps?
Old 10th March 2020, 06:18 PM   #465
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Biden takes Michigan.
Game over for the Democartici Nominee.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:23 PM   #466
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Biden takes Michigan.
Game over for the Democartici Nominee.
...with less than half the vote in. Premature much?
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:31 PM   #467
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post

CNN has called it, at least.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:33 PM   #468
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has called it, at least.
All the Major News Outlets have called it for Biden.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:34 PM   #469
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
DO I have to explain how statistical sampling works?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:14 PM   #470
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You and many others may be "all for that." But it should be pretty clear that this is a big issue for voters like the one in that video. There are a lot of voters like him that Biden should at least try to correct the record with even if they don't listen.
Oh, come on. That man was never going to vote for a Dem. He's clearly of the mentality that the 'gubmin is gunna take mah guns away' and those people tend to vote Republican.

And Biden did try and "correct the record" when he said "I support the 2nd Amendment" and told the worker that he and his son own guns but asked why anyone needs high capacity rounds.

Quote:
“Here’s the deal,” he then asked the man. “Are you able to own a machine gun?” When the worker replied that “machine guns are illegal,” Biden then said he’d like to ban AR-15s in the same way, prompting the worker to argue about that the two weapons are different, and Biden to again ask whether the worker needs high capacity magazines.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...gn-stop-125020

Quote:
If you want him to tell off all the "gun nuts" like that, well, I guess that's a strategy he can follow. We will see how successful this tactic is.
Yes, I do want "gun nuts" (your words, not mine) to be told off like that. When they make false accusations, usually fed to them through right wing media, they need to be told off in language they might just understand.

Quote:
Although, it does make me wonder what Dr. Lee et. al. have to say about the mental state of a candidate who directly threatens a voter . .
Why would you care as you think anything that Dr. Lee says is inappropriate and irrelevant unless she has interviewed someone in person?
Old 10th March 2020, 07:19 PM   #471
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Biden takes Michigan, Mississippi, and Missouri.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:20 PM   #472
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is there any daylight between "kiss his butt" and "cuss at him" perhaps?
I guess he could have spoken swears into the guy's butt, but that's a kind of a niche fetish for a beginner to just plow into.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:29 PM   #473
Baylor
Philosopher

Actually Biden also has significant amount of support from white suburban voters as well. And in he also has the support of Women voters too.

Do you realize you excluded "women" from the group "blacks?"

This place.....is quite revealing.........
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:57 PM   #474
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just gave an excellent speech.

Hardly that of someone with diminished capacity. Time to give up that pile o' crap nonsense.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:07 PM   #475
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Biden just gave an excellent speech.
Really? Whose was it this time?
Old 10th March 2020, 08:31 PM   #476
Suddenly
No Punting

Ah, violent epithets and "tough guy" talk is acceptable depending on who it's aimed at.
Well, yes. Anyone who talks the same on the floor of an auto plant as they would at the senior ladies' tea is a poor communicator.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:37 PM   #477
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I am a Bernie Bro now??

Far from it. Testament to my belief that Sanders can't bring us the White House is that I prefer Biden to him even though Biden is clearly getting feeble !. Denying it makes us look like idiots. And since we decided the Primaries were over at %40 in, and Warren had no chance, we are stuck with him.

We need him to pick a running mate now who can be his energetic campaigner, because he should only be in the public eye briefly- and after a very long nap.
Doesn't look feeble to me. He'd do laps around Trump's fat ass or Bernie's week heart.

But I don't care. I'd vote for a 109 year old on their deathbed than that lying, corrupt, incompetent, POS Trump. So if Biden has a pulse, he's a better choice than Trump.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:41 PM   #478
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Doesn't look feeble to me. He'd do laps around Trump's fat ass or Bernie's week heart.

But I don't care. I'd vote for a 109 year old on their deathbed than that lying, corrupt, incompetent, POS Trump. So if Biden has a pulse, he's a better choice than Trump.
Biden slipped to where he's only better than 99% of the population at speaking extemporaneously while under intense scrutiny. Instead of 99.9%.

So off to the home, obviously.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:55 PM   #479
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Wow, yall are desperate.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:27 PM   #480
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Wow, yall are desperate.
My Irony Meter just exploded.
Ever consider that most Democrats are not as far to the left as you are?

Robert Heinlein.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics