ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 6th April 2020, 02:25 PM   #681
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

PM is just the leader of the largest party.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:28 PM   #682
p0lka
Graduate Poster

The PM's position at the moment will be useful data for science.

he wasn't better after 7 days, he has got worse after 7 days, he can't be the first one.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:29 PM   #683
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO the UK has no legally established line of sucession if the PM is incapicated from performing his office?
In the US it's clear; THe Veep, then the Speaker of the House, then the President pro tempore of the Senate ,then the secrataries of the major government departments in the order of their founding,with Secratary of State being the first.
Maybe the UK should have a legal "continuity of government " line of sucession in a crisis?
I know the Brits love to "muddle through" but they are playing with fire here.

Yes we do, first Secretary of State.
Old 6th April 2020, 02:30 PM   #684
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The problem is that the Government has been trying to downplay the seriousness of his condition since the start, we've gone from mild symptoms with Johnson recovering and resting up at Number 10 to intensive care in a couple of days.
I just love how the BBC grits it's teeth and plays along with the official narrative coming from the government, not even acknowledging that they have been lying about his poor condition.

"With No 10 saying..." "The message from Downing Street is..."

They must be terrified of the potential consequences of pointing out that they are not being truthful.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #685
Arcade22
Philosopher

SO the UK has no legally established line of sucession if the PM is incapicated from performing his office?
In the US it's clear; THe Veep, then the Speaker of the House, then the President pro tempore of the Senate ,then the secrataries of the major government departments in the order of their founding,with Secratary of State being the first.
Maybe the UK should have a legal "continuity of government " line of sucession in a crisis?
Unlike the President of the US, the UK PM has no real power on their own. Instead their power comes from the fact that they have the support of a majority (or at least a plurality) of MPs. So there's little need to formalize the "succession" of the position of PM.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 02:53 PM   #686
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Israeli Health Minister who said coronavirus is "a divine punishment against homosexuality" has just tested positive
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:31 PM   #687
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Israeli Health Minister who said coronavirus is "a divine punishment against homosexuality" has just tested positive
Now that’s irony that even Alanis could grasp.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:34 PM   #688
catsmate
No longer the 1

Has anyone investigated the obvious?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 03:39 PM   #689
chrispy
Muse

I hate to laugh at someone's misfortune, but this is kinda funny in a truly morbid way. That said, I don't wish death on anyone (that is a lie, but in general) so i hope he pulls through.
Old 6th April 2020, 03:50 PM   #690
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Spain planning to roll out universal basic income "soon"
Old 6th April 2020, 04:11 PM   #691
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Onion comes to real life.
Old 6th April 2020, 04:21 PM   #692
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Obese? He's overweight but not by a huge amount. I'd call him husky. Trump is more overweight.
15 stone
5 ft 9 inches was stated on RNZ
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:23 PM   #693
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daily Mail: He is conscious and has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to deputise for him. Mr. Raab, also First Secretary of State, is primed to take charge of the government's coronavirus response, but it is understood he is not a temporary prime minister.
He should be handing over the job of pm immediately till he recovers.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:23 PM   #694
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
15 stone
5 ft 9 inches was stated on RNZ
That's 210 lbs. Too much. Throw out some stones.
Old 6th April 2020, 04:24 PM   #695
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I just love how the BBC grits it's teeth and plays along with the official narrative coming from the government, not even acknowledging that they have been lying about his poor condition.

They must be terrified of the potential consequences of pointing out that they are not being truthful.
The BBC is just a tame puppy now.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 04:36 PM   #696
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Recovers from what.....
Old 6th April 2020, 04:38 PM   #697
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

News reporting isn't the place for editorials (which most "news" reports seem to have forgotten).
Old 6th April 2020, 05:09 PM   #698
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
News reporting isn't the place for editorials (which most "news" reports seem to have forgotten).
Not to mention that if the BBC had gone around suggesting his condition was worse without hard evidence they would have been crucified by the right wing press for 'scaremongering'.
Old 6th April 2020, 05:59 PM   #699
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's excellent news. I hope it catches on, because unemployment will be severe across the world.
Old 6th April 2020, 06:36 PM   #700
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Not quite. We have system in place in case of a PM being unable to be PM, this is set up in all governments. The last time Raab spoke to Johnson was on Saturday, when I learnt that it made me conclude Johnson was seriously ill.
You could have mentioned that six months ago!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 07:10 PM   #701
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

What a difference here in Canada. When our prime minister's wife tested positive for covid-19, the prime minister himself went into self-isolation. Sophie has now recovered, but Justin is still practising social distancing.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 08:16 PM   #702
Arcade22
Philosopher

Apparently "news" according to BBC standards is simply quoting the government verbatim even when it's clear that the government is lying. Doing otherwise would be tantamount to political bias and partisanship.

This of course completely unrelated to the fact that BJ and the conservative party has put the BBC in their crosshairs.

Old 6th April 2020, 08:23 PM   #703
Arcade22
Philosopher

Meanwhile Trump says American CEOs are lining up to offer BJ the enviable position of being a human guinea pig for experimental treatments. Yay!

Old 6th April 2020, 08:37 PM   #704
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
The first indication that*Boris Johnson was sicker with coronavirus than either he or his aides were letting on came on Thursday morning. The suggestion made by a source was specific: a bed was being prepared at St Thomas’ hospital for the prime minister, whose condition had worsened during his seven-day period of isolation in Downing Street.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...on-to-hospital

This is the kind of biased, partisan and unfair editorializing that you won't find in the latest official government press release quoted by the BBC.

Old 6th April 2020, 08:37 PM   #705
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What a difference here in Canada. When our prime minister's wife tested positive for covid-19, the prime minister himself went into self-isolation. Sophie has now recovered, but Justin is still practising social distancing.
Indeed. When Trudeau does his daily hour long press conference he is alone - no posse. He answers every question and has not once criticized any member of the press. Quite refreshing.
Old 6th April 2020, 11:45 PM   #706
Planigale
Illuminator

Yes we have a very clear line of succession of the head of state, which is the equivalent. Elizabeth, Charles, William, George etc. The head of state will appoint his or her first (prime) minister. If there were a real crisis then the Queen (or King) in council has authority. Cabinet government is not the same as presidential government, most ministers as ministers of the crown have authority in their own right derived from the sovereign.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:54 PM   #707
Planigale
Illuminator

FWIW since I and other doctors can't tell who will deteriorate and become ill, I don't know how you expect a journalist to. Certainly no doctor would be telling a journalist about their patient's condition. That a fifty year old male had deteriorated after two weeks of being ill with covid-19 was no surprise, but the day before I could not have predicted that. Once he had deteriorated at that stage to needing oxygen, I thought that was serious and he might need ITU. Yes he now has a life threatening illness. I can't give you real odds, but he might need ventilation in the next two or three days. The problem is people with this condition 'drop off the perch' to use a technical term with little warning.

FWIW in this situation the security issues may have precipitated early transfer to ITU; ITU areas are easy to maintain security access than general wards.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 01:42 AM   #708
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
That's excellent news. I hope it catches on, because unemployment will be severe across the world.
Yes, I've been advocating for UBI for quite a while now. I was primarily looking at things like automation, but this current crisis certainly has exacerbated things.

The good news is that Spain is looking to make it permanent. That's good news for the Spaniards, and good news for the citizens of other countries whose leaders might take it already being an established model as a sign that it could work in their countries too.

I don't know whether it'll happen in other countries, but it happening in Spain makes it more likely. The longer the pandemic continues to disrupt life, the more necessary other countries may see it as being. The fact that it's not just the poorest people who are being affected should also help provide some impetus.
Old 7th April 2020, 02:40 AM   #709
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The BB is not parting with power. I expect even when he's intubated and drugg he'll still "be in charge".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 02:44 AM   #710
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
You could have mentioned that six months ago!
Old 7th April 2020, 02:51 AM   #711
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Apparently "news" according to BBC standards is simply quoting the government verbatim even when it's clear that the government is lying. Doing otherwise would be tantamount to political bias and partisanship.

This of course completely unrelated to the fact that BJ and the conservative party has put the BBC in their crosshairs.
Of course the BBC should report what the government actually says without alteration.

You are mixing up investigative journalism, journalism, news reporting and editorial, they are all distinct aspects of related topics.

I don't want the BBC to tell me what I should think about what the government is saying, I want them to accurately report what the government is saying. I can make my own mind up as to the truthfulness of the what the government is saying.

It appears the knowledge that he was more seriously ill than what Downing Street was saying was known by many newspapers and so on. None of those chose to break the news.

Now if they had then the BBC when reporting the news would have covered that.
Old 7th April 2020, 02:51 AM   #712
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...on-to-hospital

This is the kind of biased, partisan and unfair editorializing that you won't find in the latest official government press release quoted by the BBC.
When was that published?
Old 7th April 2020, 02:59 AM   #713
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Gove self-isolating
Old 7th April 2020, 03:11 AM   #714
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Was that by popular demand?
Old 7th April 2020, 03:14 AM   #715
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is a short video report of what ICU is like at the moment in a London hospital.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Inside an ICU fighting Covid-19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52190961

No way has Johnson been taken to ICU because of who he is as a precaution or for security reasons and so on. He is in a ICU because he is critically ill.
Old 7th April 2020, 03:17 AM   #716
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Have you seen the photo in that article of Raab and the lack of social distancing? I am absolutely flabbergasted, even with Johnson critically ill they still don't think the rules should apply to them!
Old 7th April 2020, 03:23 AM   #717
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1247466300236017664

Quote:
NEW: Latest ONS data on #Covid19 shows much higher death rate figures than even we thought. On 27th March the Dept of Health reported 926 total deaths in England. NHS’ revised figures say that in hospitals alone that figure was in fact 1,649.
More in subsequent tweets.
Old 7th April 2020, 04:19 AM   #718
Tolls
Philosopher

When was that published?
According to the page (it's to the left of the article, under the author names...bit faint, click o the date and you get the original published date):

First published on Mon 6 Apr 2020 20.23 BST

So yesterday evening, after we all found out he was not doing all that well.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 06:35 AM   #719
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Of course the BBC should report what the government actually says without alteration.

You are mixing up investigative journalism, journalism, news reporting and editorial, they are all distinct aspects of related topics.

I don't want the BBC to tell me what I should think about what the government is saying, I want them to accurately report what the government is saying. I can make my own mind up as to the truthfulness of the what the government is saying.

It appears the knowledge that he was more seriously ill than what Downing Street was saying was known by many newspapers and so on. None of those chose to break the news.

Now if they had then the BBC when reporting the news would have covered that.
Based on what other information? How can you know the truthfulness of what the government is saying unless news outlets also rigorously analyze the official government statements and provide a broader perspective?

But is your argument that the BBC, supported by taxes, is not a real news agency and is really just another arm of government? And must therefore be some completely bland conduit of whatever is fed them? Their reputation in the past in the USA is far higher. And people deserve more from their taxes IMHO.

So yes, the BBC should report press releases and official statements by the government. But they should also provide relevant facts that support or question the government’s position. This is the true role of journalism.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 06:48 AM   #720
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by BBC News
A spokesman said Mr Johnson, 55, was stable overnight, is being given oxygen and is not on a ventilator...

In a statement on Tuesday, a Downing Street spokesman said: "The prime minister has been stable overnight and remains in good spirits. He is receiving standard oxygen treatment and is breathing without any other assistance....
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52201048

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics