ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 30th September 2019, 09:26 AM   #241
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And this is why even with things I literally hate, I mean full on distaste in the core of my beaning I try, I said try, to never let accurate terminology that simply neutrally describes things become all purpose insults.

I doesn't exactly lend itself to ye' ole Algonquin Round Table atmosphere.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:12 AM   #242
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
You are the sad devotee to the Clinton machine
That is sublimely ironic given your earlier post saying that "you assume because I dislike Hillary I must be a Trump guy, you would be wrong." I actually don't give a rat's ass about Hillary Clinton. She's far from being a candidate of choice for me.

Quote:
she had no business having her toilet server
Unsupported assertion.

Quote:
and she screwed Bernie.
Unsupported assertion. You keep making claims without demonstrating them.

Quote:
Repetition of your nonsense doesnt make you right
Right back at you.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:14 AM   #243
Belz...
Fiend God

How sad the Clinton haze has you so blinded, but Liberal is liberal and you are wrong.
Who says I'm a liberal?

Another flaw of the two party system, you assume because I dislike Trump I must be a Hillary guy, you would be wrong.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:16 AM   #244
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is why everyone should have their character sheets fully updated at all times and should remember to distribute them to newcomers.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:22 AM   #245
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Minimally better.

You are the sad devotee to the Clinton machine, she had no business having her toilet server and she screwed Bernie. Repetition of your nonsense doesnt make you right it makes you repetitive, Toilet Server Denier.

And still so wrong.

First of all, I believe the correct term is "unsecure and unapproved cowboy bathroom server."

Second of all, it's simply not true:
https://www.denverpost.com/2015/08/1...ver-in-denver/

But you don't seem like the kind of thinker who will let facts get in the way of their views ... so carry on.

PS - I hope biden is done

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 30th September 2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edited to stay on topic
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:24 AM   #246
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

He's somehow seemingly mixed up HRC with Debbie Wasserman Schultz. That's where I'm assuming he's coming up with the "Hillary screwed Bernie" line, anyhow.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:26 AM   #247
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I just think it's in our best interest if the Dems pick a goddamn horse already.

So I hope either Biden or Warren are done soon.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:54 AM   #248
rockysmith76
Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I just think it's in our best interest if the Dems pick a goddamn horse already.

Biden likely has the better odds.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 11:10 AM   #249
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Biden likely has the better odds.
If it weren't for Trump pulling out the Ukraine issue prior to the primaries I might have agreed with that assessment. But Trump brought it to light way to early and now I'm not sure.

Either voters dig into the Ukraine issue and realize that Trump was wrong about his facts and that Biden and his son were not doing anything illegal or they would just rather not have another shady person trying to game the system to personal benefit in office. Really could go either way.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 12:17 PM   #250
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

This is why everyone should have their character sheets fully updated at all times and should remember to distribute them to newcomers.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 12:27 PM   #251
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Aha! You're equipping a longsword! Clearly you're a fighter!"

"... Or you could review the rules and maybe pay attention to the actual gaming sessions."

"Nope! Fighter! Only possible way it could be!"
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 12:30 PM   #252
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I put five points into the skill "Vampiric Beekeeping". No idea whether that is the keeping of vampire bees or the use of vampire methods to keep regular bees, but it sounded interesting and potentially a weapon against the capitalist roaders who prop up the decadent patriarchy.
Old 30th September 2019, 12:31 PM   #253
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Jobs are created by demand. Period.
Billionaires demand tax breaks and hire lobbyists to get them, so yeah :9.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:20 PM   #254
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Sure, there's no reason to doubt that conclusion. The son of the VP is a good get, a great prestige piece to trot out whenever they want to look important. Like you say, it's still gross as hell, even if it's not illegal.

It's not even just the Ukraine thing. Hunter Biden's first job was at a big bank that contributed heavily to Biden's campaigns. Biden was the senator for the state of Delaware for many years, which is best known for being a haven for big companies to incorporate to avoid taxes and other pesky regulations. Naturally, these banks and insurance companies love him, and he loves them back.

There's nothing nasty like quid quo pro going on. It's more akin to regulatory capture. These politicians will never be able to stand up against big business because they will never want to do so. They are big business, they are thoroughly enmeshed together. Their kids work at big business, they socialize with big business elites, they have long histories of supporting each other, and so on. The border between government and capital is absolutely porous.

These people are incapable of taking an adversarial stance against these interests.

TLDR: Neoliberalism is cancer.
Did you actually bother doing any investigation at all? Do you know what a board member on a major Oil and Gas Company should be making? Do you know what experience that Hunter had which Burisma wanted to use?

here's a good place to start

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:19 AM   #255
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Did you actually bother doing any investigation at all? Do you know what a board member on a major Oil and Gas Company should be making? Do you know what experience that Hunter had which Burisma wanted to use?

here's a good place to start
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that nearly every job he has had some proximity to his influential senator daddy. I'm sure having the last name Biden wasn't at all considered when he started making his career in foreign relations.

There's nothing particularly unusual about this. The lackluster children of the powerful have been cashing in on prestige forever. I'm glad this cocaine addled Navy drop-out was able to pull himself up by his bootstraps.
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:53 AM   #256
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that nearly every job he has had some proximity to his influential senator daddy. I'm sure having the last name Biden wasn't at all considered when he started making his career in foreign relations.

There's nothing particularly unusual about this. The lackluster children of the powerful have been cashing in on prestige forever. I'm glad this cocaine addled Navy drop-out was able to pull himself up by his bootstraps.
do you really want to open this can of worms?
You will have a hard time finding an Intern on the Hill who has got there on merits alone.
Most board members of big Defense Contractors, Hedge Funds, Banks etc. aren't primarily there because of their business acumen.
The right name in the list of employees can significantly increase Stock Value, so a company might want to hire because of name recognition alone, with no foul play whatsoever.

Instead of going after a tiny fish (Hunter), better support Warren to bring transparency to this practice.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 3rd October 2019 at 04:54 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:26 AM   #257
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It would be borderline impossible for Hunter Biden to land a job -- any job -- without his name factoring into the employer's decision.
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:46 AM   #258
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It would be borderline impossible for Hunter Biden to land a job -- any job -- without his name factoring into the employer's decision.
Well, yes, "Hunter" is a stupid name. It baffles me that with the incredibly rich panoply of magnificent naming precedents so many people end up naming their kids so badly.
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:46 AM   #259
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
His first job out of law school was at MBNA, a major contributer to his father's political career. Biden was often jokingly described of as the "Senator from MBNA" because of his fierce protection of the credit card companies that operate out of Delaware.

Within 2 years he was an executive vice president. That is a meteoric rise. Must be a real business whiz kid. I'm not saying there was any quid quo pro, in fact, there almost certainly wasn't. It's just that big business takes care of their own, and the Biden family has definitely earned some gratitude.

I think it's no coincidence all these fail-children of the powerful gravitate towards jobs that involve influence peddling, networking with elites, and wealth management.

Again, I don't really see Biden's family as a particularly egregious example of nepotism within this country. In fact, Joe seemed to have acted with integrity with regards to Ukraine, even pushing to clean up corruption in the country at the expense of his son's business relations.

I'm just saying, he is one small example of the incestuous relationship that exists between DC and big business. Expecting any kind of aggressive oversight of big business to come out of this system is a fool's hope.

Warren has a much better track record on regulatory oversight and, even better, a much better record of not being the tireless champion big capital.

Bernie's "every billionaire is a policy failure" stance is even better.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd October 2019 at 06:57 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:51 AM   #260
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, yes, "Hunter" is a stupid name. It baffles me that with the incredibly rich panoply of magnificent naming precedents so many people end up naming their kids so badly.
I think the elites do it on purpose, as a kind of shibboleth, and a display of privilege.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:54 AM   #261
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think the elites do it on purpose, as a kind of shibboleth, and a display of privilege.
Usually shibboleths work by having counterintuitive pronunciation. Is it "HunTAIR"? Or maybe "Unter"? Pretty fancy naming for a guy called Joe!
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:11 AM   #262
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

<snip for brevity>
I don't take issue with anything you write here, clumsy segue to Biden v Warren notwithstanding. Even there, I also prefer Warren over Biden for POTUS. (I'm not clear about my candidate preference though, in terms of winnability.)
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:53 AM   #263
rockysmith76
Thinker

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
He's somehow seemingly mixed up HRC with Debbie Wasserman Schultz. That's where I'm assuming he's coming up with the "Hillary screwed Bernie" line, anyhow.
Dont forget that Warren is an anti-vaxxer.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:42 AM   #264
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Dont forget that Warren is an anti-vaxxer.
If we're going by InfoWars tales, as you've said, Warren's not even human. And?
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:53 AM   #265
rockysmith76
Thinker

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
If we're going by InfoWars tales, as you've said, Warren's not even human. And?
No, Hillary was the demon. Mitch O'Connell is a cannibal, maybe a reptillian.
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:43 PM   #266
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Can you all try a little harder to keep discussion of other candidates in their own (or a catch-all) thread; this one appears to be about Mr Biden. As far as possible, please keep it that way. Thank you.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:36 PM   #267
angrysoba
Philosophile

Usually shibboleths work by having counterintuitive pronunciation. Is it "HunTAIR"? Or maybe "Unter"? Pretty fancy naming for a guy called Joe!
It’s pronounced “Maudlin”.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:04 PM   #268
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

A Bernie fan, I see.

Welcome to the revolution, comrade.
Old 4th October 2019, 02:50 PM   #269
Steve
Philosopher

Says a. person named tragic

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics