ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:31 PM   #41
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Gary Locke. He was governor of Washington State, famously moderate, of Chinese ethnicity. He served as US Ambassador to China. He's been tested on a world stage and been away from all the sausage making in Washington. He scratches more than a few Democratic itches while not someone Republicans feel terribly strongly about.
He'll be a septuagenarian in in 4 months. Might conceivably be a fit for Booker, Harris or Buttigieg, but given the advanced ages of the three front-runners, I think they need to look to another generation.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 10:49 PM   #42
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning.
Here is my whacky pick. Former Ohio Governor John Kasich. One of the more reasonable Republicans. Since there seems to be more importance placed on the "optics" of the ticket, meaning If there is going to have a white old man as Pres, then you have to have a woman of color as your vp pick, I can see how having a prominent Republican as the choice sending the message of trying to bring the split between the two parties together. If I recall McCain really wanted Joe Lieberman as his VP before Sarah Palin was thrust upon him.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 27th September 2019 at 10:53 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 10:56 PM   #43
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The magic of 20020 is that whoever gets nominated, P and VP, will get massive support and will likely win.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 10:56 PM   #44
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here's an oddball pick: How about Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona (for Joe Biden)? She's smart (graduated from BYU at age 18), young (43), attractive, has solid bipartisan credentials and self-identifies as bisexual. She's from a state that is sort of must-win for the Democrats in 2020, and IMHO is in play. I was suspicious of her when she ran for the Senate last year, but I have been impressed ever since.

Of course the things that impress me have depressed a lot of local Democrats who have been pushing the state party to censure her (for not being liberal enough). So if Biden is looking to tamp down a restive left flank, she's probably not going to do the trick. But if he can secure the nomination, she would be a good fit for his "I can work with the reasonable Republicans once Trump is gone," schtick.

Sinema probably is not a good fit for Warren or Sanders, and if either of them get the nomination I would consider Arizona too much of a reach for the Democrats anyway.
Actually, Sinema is the kind of old school smoke-filled backroom pick that they did in '60. Match her up with Bernie to show that he's not unwilling to work with the moderate wing. You don't match her up with Warren - again, two females on the ticket is never going to win. And you don't match her up with Biden, if he wins. Ya think the Bern Boyz stayed home in '16, wait'll you see every prog in the country stay home in '20 if they run two blue dogs on the presidential ticket!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 12:37 AM   #45
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Actually, Sinema is the kind of old school smoke-filled backroom pick that they did in '60. Match her up with Bernie to show that he's not unwilling to work with the moderate wing. You don't match her up with Warren - again, two females on the ticket is never going to win. And you don't match her up with Biden, if he wins. Ya think the Bern Boyz stayed home in '16, wait'll you see every prog in the country stay home in '20 if they run two blue dogs on the presidential ticket!
Bernie won't pick her for an obvious reason--she then becomes the future of the party. Not his chosen future I would guess. That's why she works for Biden; young, impressive and she probably has great-smelling hair.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 01:18 AM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

True - whoever becomes VP to a 70+ year old must be perceived as POTUS material themselves.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 01:21 AM   #47
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Why not try Hillary again? Surely she can't keep losing...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 01:36 AM   #48
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I would love that.
But it's a terrible idea.
But I would love that.
Old 28th September 2019, 07:58 AM   #49
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The magic of 20020 is that whoever gets nominated, P and VP, will get massive support and will likely win.
I really hope you are right. The thought of Trump winning again is more then my brain can handle.
Old 28th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I really hope you are right. The thought of Trump winning again is more then my brain can handle.
If Trump is still winning in 20020 your brain will probably have bigger issues to think about.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 08:22 PM   #51
beren
Graduate Poster

Wendy Davis.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 28th September 2019, 09:02 PM   #52
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It's an old joke, but when Obama asked her to be VP, she said, "I've already had that job."
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:54 AM   #53
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

How about Jeff Flake?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:57 AM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Adam Schiff.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:03 PM   #55
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Serious submission:

Senator Tammy Duckworth
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:09 PM   #56
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's basically Joe Biden's campaign slogan.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:14 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Serious submission:

Senator Tammy Duckworth
Unfortunately, "Tammy Duckworth" is just not a serious name.
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:19 PM   #58
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
How about Jeff Flake?
Tribalism forbids that nowdays...sadly.
I could get behind the idea of a asking a Never Trump Republican on the ticket and run as a sort of a Anti Trump coalition..but it will never happen.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:20 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Then the Progs are a bunch of morons, frankly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:34 PM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is it too soon to suggest Bernie Sanders, under the "not a candidate" heading?
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:43 PM   #61
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I don't think Duckworth is eligible. As far as I can tell, she wasn't born a US citizen.
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:58 PM   #62
grunion
Philosopher

Biden must pick a woman. Ashley Judd? Michelle Obama?
Warren - Buttigeg
Bernie- Stacey Abrams (I shudder to think of the racism that a Jewish/African American ticket will bring out)
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds

Last edited by grunion; 3rd October 2019 at 05:07 PM.
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:10 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Bernie- Stacey Abrams (I shudder to think of the racism that a Jewish/African American ticket will bring out)
Come on. Progressives aren't that racist, are they?
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:37 PM   #64
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't think Duckworth is eligible. As far as I can tell, she wasn't born a US citizen.
She wasn't. But she is the daughter of an American. And it's not clear that she wouldn't qualify.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:14 PM   #65
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Then the Progs are a bunch of morons, frankly.
Nope.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...dle-is-a-myth/
Old 4th October 2019, 06:37 AM   #66
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
From what I read, she is through her father's citizenship while being born overseas.
Old 4th October 2019, 06:42 AM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Condoleezza Rice. Educated, talented, experienced. What's not to like?

Do you prefer identity politics? She's a woman, and black. She's not gay or trans, but you can't have everything.

True, she's historically aligned with the GOP, but that can be accepted, I think. A Warren-Rice ticket might be exactly the bipartisan gesture of unity and tolerance this nation needs, to start our healing process and close the rift between red and blue.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:21 AM   #68
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Quote:
How about Jeff Flake?
Tribalism forbids that nowdays...sadly.
I could get behind the idea of a asking a Never Trump Republican on the ticket and run as a sort of a Anti Trump coalition..but it will never happen.
Why are you saying its 'sad' that Flake couldn't be considered?

Yes, Flake has a mythology surrounding himself as a 'never Trumper'. But so much of what he did and said was empty rhetoric, designed to make himself look good, while otherwise enabling the worst of Trump's actions.

At the end of the day:

- He voted to confirm Drunky McRapeface to the supreme court (after supposedly pushing for more investigations into his background, and then accepting the results, despite interference in the investigation from the white house)
- He voted to confirm lots of questionable people for Trump's cabinet, including De Vos and Sessions
- He voted for both the Republican health care plan and the tax cuts for the wealthy

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:33 AM   #69
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
She was pretty dismissive of complaints into Russian hacking of the elections.

Not exactly what I would want from a candidate: "Yeah, its perfectly OK for a foreign government to try to keep me from getting elected".

Quote:
True, she's historically aligned with the GOP, but that can be accepted, I think. A Warren-Rice ticket might be exactly the bipartisan gesture of unity and tolerance this nation needs, to start our healing process and close the rift between red and blue.
In the past few decades, we have seen the republicans drift further to the right, and engage in all sorts of dirty tricks: Voter suppression of minorities, obstructionism of the Obama administration (including blocking the nomination of judges), allowing interference by foreign governments in American elections. And those actions are continuing to this day. And we currently have a republican president with widespread support within the GOP, despite the fact that he is a racist con-man who thinks neo-nazis are "fine people".

So, with all that in mind, there are 2 questions:

- Why should it be the responsibility for the Democrats to engage in a "gesture of unity" by including a republican on the Democratic ticket? The republicans have been the ones destroying American political norms; shouldn't they be the ones to try to fix the problems they caused?

- Why exactly would we expect the republicans to actually appreciate the gesture and to likewise engage in bipartisan efforts? The more likely scenario is that they would immediately condemn the VP nominee as a "traitor", or simply use it as a wedge to further push their partisan agenda.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 11:20 AM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. How about Al Franken?

By all accounts, the Democrats lost a good senator and effective advocate, the day Gillibrand railroaded him out of office. Isn't it past time he was brought back into the fold?
Old 4th October 2019, 11:37 AM   #71
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. How about Al Franken?

By all accounts, the Democrats lost a good senator and effective advocate, the day Gillibrand railroaded him out of office. Isn't it past time he was brought back into the fold?
The sexual allegations make him toxic.

It would be rather hard for the Democrats to point out Donald "grab 'em" Trump's negative attitudes towards women when they would have Franken on the ticket.... a perfect target for "whataboutism".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th October 2019, 12:10 PM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The sexual allegations make him toxic.

It would be rather hard for the Democrats to point out Donald "grab 'em" Trump's negative attitudes towards women when they would have Franken on the ticket.... a perfect target for "whataboutism".
Hmmm... Okay, what about Chelsea Clinton?
Old 4th October 2019, 12:26 PM   #73
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Pick a VP for the Dems who is not a Candidate
If Joe Biden, then Stacey Abrams.

If Bernie Sanders, then Tulsi Gabbard.

If Elizabeth Warren, then Rahm Emanuel.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 12:32 PM   #74
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm... Okay, what about Chelsea Clinton?
I assume at this point you seem to have gone from unusual and marginal suggestions to ones that are completely insane.

Chelsea has no experience as an actual political candidate. She has never served in a legislative or executive capacity as an elected official. Only a moron would vote for someone who has never held political office before (even if it is in the Vice Presidential spot on the ticket.)

Oh wait... never mind.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th October 2019, 12:57 PM   #75
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Jackie Speier.

I've voted for her before and would do so again if I still lived in her district.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:26 AM   #76
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Do you prefer identity politics? She's a woman, and black. She's not gay or trans, but you can't have everything.

True, she's historically aligned with the GOP, but that can be accepted, I think. A Warren-Rice ticket might be exactly the bipartisan gesture of unity and tolerance this nation needs, to start our healing process and close the rift between red and blue and guarantee a Republican White House in 2020.
FTFY. Two women on the national ticket ain't gonna work. Two women with one who happens to be black and a former Republican is doubly not going to work.

It does have its upside.... the bigots would finally be able to make fun of her name. They must've been dying when she was a loyal minion of the GOP.

Keep it sane.... Warren is not picking a female running mate. She'll pick a male and probably a southwestern or western one.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 04:32 AM   #77
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

NM.
Old 5th October 2019, 07:22 AM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

<snip>
Eh, I still like Rice.
Old 5th October 2019, 08:16 AM   #79
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Eh, I still like Rice.
Maybe as a Biden running mate, even Bernie.... not for Liz, though. The Dems aren't going to fly in the face of all tradition with a two-woman ticket.

But, for Warren, the guy who's probably closer to dumping the GOP... Powell. (As long as we're fantasizing about Republicans jumping ship.)

Old 5th October 2019, 08:28 AM   #80
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

<snip>
'k

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics