ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Betsy DeVos , Trump administration

Old 8th October 2019, 07:17 AM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lock Her Up! Betsy DeVos Edition

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...r-student-debt

U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos gets admonished by a judge for contempt of court.

Quote:
...she’s in contempt of court for continuing to collect on the debt of former students at bankrupt Corinthian Colleges Inc., going so far as to seize their tax refunds and wages.

“I’m not sure if this is contempt or sanctions,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim told lawyers for the Education Department at a hearing Monday in San Francisco. “I’m not sending anyone to jail yet, but it’s good to know I have that ability.”

The judge said she was “astounded” that the department violated her June order to stop collecting the debts from students, who had been promised refunds of their tuition.

“At best it is gross negligence. At worst it’s an intentional flouting of my order,” Kim warned lawyers for the department.
no wonder Betsy needs a security detail costing millions per year.

https://upolitics.com/news/betsy-dev...llion-in-2019/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...r-student-debt

U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos gets admonished by a judge for contempt of court.

no wonder Betsy needs a security detail costing millions per year.

https://upolitics.com/news/betsy-dev...llion-in-2019/
Hey, cut Betsy some slack! She needs all that security to look after her houses, of which this is just one.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:54 AM   #3
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hey, cut Betsy some slack! She needs all that security to look after her houses, of which this is just one.
Seriously?!!! Where did all of the millions come from? It is obscene.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:05 AM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Well her dad founded a major auto supplier and her husband made a ton on Amway.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:10 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well her dad founded a major auto supplier and her husband made a ton on Amway.
and her brother blew a fortune playing at being a soldier.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She may well be wealthier than Trump.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, lets be honest... its possible that pretty much anyone on this forum is wealthier than Trump.

(Given the fact that he has declared bankruptcy so much, and loves to run up debt, he may actually be broke, living on credit and whatever he can skim off the money laundering he does for the Russians.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:47 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That is a certainty.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Family money.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:10 PM   #10
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

There are a lot of reasons to distrust or despise her. The fact that she's wealthy and has exceedingly poor taste isn't really one of them.

Well, maybe the taste. I own a nice shingle style, nothing too fancy but a few features. Hers is a sin. (And, I should point out, hers is rather a lot larger than mine.)
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:14 PM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
There are a lot of reasons to distrust or despise her. The fact that she's wealthy and has exceedingly poor taste isn't really one of them.

Well, maybe the taste. I own a nice shingle style, nothing too fancy but a few features. Hers is a sin. (And, I should point out, hers is rather a lot larger than mine.)
What about the multi level marketing money, is that sufficiently immoral? Her husband made a lot from Avon after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:19 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
What about the multi level marketing money, is that sufficiently immoral? Her husband made a lot from Avon after all.
Amway, not Avon.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:38 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How about the fact that she uses that wealth to make huge donations to charities such as "Baptists right to life" and the "Pregnancy Resource Center" (both anti-abortion groups I assume).

But if you want more examples of her failings, how about this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...finds-n1007786
An internal Education Department watchdog said Monday that Secretary Betsy DeVos has sometimes used personal email accounts for government business and did not always save the messages properly.

But then, I'm sure DeVos can be forgiven... its not like there were other cases of cabinet ministers who got in trouble for using private email to do public business. Were there?

And in an ever-confusing pile of suck, you have this:

https://www.newsweek.com/education-d...profit-1074861
Omarosa Manigault Newman's claim that President Donald Trump called Education Secretary Betsy DeVos "ditzy" behind her back.

Hmmm... hard to think who comes out worse here... Trump for name calling, Omarosa for possibly being an unreliable witness (since she did join the Trump administration on her own, and only turned on them after getting fired), or DeVos, for, well, being a ditzy person to begin with.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Minoosh
Philosopher

I first read “ditzy” as “dirty.” That would have been interesting.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics