ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #401
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
As of November 6, we have passed peak Trumpism, at least: 54 of the 75 GOP candidates that Trump endorsed lost, and losing the House means the MAGA legislative agenda is dead. Anyone still imagining that Trump can win in 2020 and the GOP can hold the Senate must also be imagining some unexpected change in the current vector. You can hope for that, but two things should be clear by now: Trump just can't stop Trumping, and his base is as large as it will ever be.
Some Republicans may see the light. Far more will increase their efforts to destroy democratic processes in the USA through gerrymandering, voter suppression, and the like.
Old 9th December 2018, 09:26 AM   #402
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Maybe now?
Old 9th December 2018, 09:49 AM   #403
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Maybe now?
Must make you feel mighty good that 1 to 2 years ago, some folk on the internet were wrong. It's nice that you regularly remind us.

As some have said, "Time well spent."
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 07:25 AM   #404
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

With Trump's pick for Chief of staff turning him down, at least in the eyes of some political operatives he has passed his peak.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:49 AM   #405
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

2019 and Trump is still president, who'da thunk it.

Maybe Trump will pass Peak this year.
Old 1st January 2019, 05:14 PM   #406
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly reached Peak Trump some time ago.

Please, America, make it stop.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 05:01 PM   #407
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Has it passed yet?
Old 17th May 2019, 05:11 PM   #408
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Has it passed yet?
We may well be past the point of no return.
Old 17th May 2019, 05:24 PM   #409
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I passed something quite akin to Trump this morning.
Old 17th May 2019, 05:29 PM   #410
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I passed something quite akin to Trump this morning.
I have toilet tissue with Trump's face on it which comes in quite handy for certain situations such as you describe.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 09:36 AM   #411
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Trump innocent.

Peak still not passed.

lol
Old 29th May 2019, 09:46 AM   #412
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump innocent.
I see even simple things have you confused.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 09:57 AM   #413
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I see even simple things have you confused.
:and other replies to you-know-who (not the Harry Potter kind):

You know, if you see someone just spamming the forum, you should probably just ignore them or report them for breaking Rule 6 and Rule 11. For everything else there's ignore lists.

Remember when you were in school and there was always this one guy who had to shout random, weird things during class discussion to get attention? You didn't all stop your discussion and tell him how he was wrong or attention-craving, you just ignored him in the hope he would eventually grow up .
Old 29th May 2019, 11:47 AM   #414
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
:and other replies to you-know-who (not the Harry Potter kind):

You know, if you see someone just spamming the forum, you should probably just ignore them or report them for breaking Rule 6 and Rule 11. For everything else there's ignore lists.

Remember when you were in school and there was always this one guy who had to shout random, weird things during class discussion to get attention? You didn't all stop your discussion and tell him how he was wrong or attention-craving, you just ignored him in the hope he would eventually grow up .
Hallelujah and amen to that!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 12:12 PM   #415
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
You really think he's going to get infracted for off-topic trolling after all these years?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:50 AM   #416
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Ah, yep.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 11:03 AM   #417
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Trump innocent.

Peak still not passed.

lol
OJ innocent.

lol?

(I don't generally speak lol-ese, but when in Rome...)
Old 5th October 2019, 12:03 PM   #418
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
OJ innocent.

lol?

(I don't generally speak lol-ese, but when in Rome...)
Hillary innocent.

lol.

(Alternatively, be the change you want to see in the world.)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 12:10 PM   #419
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hillary innocent.

lol.

(Alternatively, be the change you want to see in the world.)
Except I'm mocking, not doing. Way to miss the point.
Old 5th October 2019, 05:06 PM   #420
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump innocent.

Peak still not passed.

lol
Who cares if he's innocent? All that matters is that he's no longer president. Over half the voters are now in favor of impeachment. The Russian whore you're so enamored of only won by 88,000 votes in three states. Most of them skewed older so some of them have died since then (which is the best thing they can do for the country, Trump voters aren't valuable). If he's hurt enough to lose the election by impeachment, that's all that matters. The Ends Justify the Means.
Old 7th October 2019, 12:28 AM   #421
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Is an impeachment actually likely to get him out of office?
Or is it just an inconvenient media/legal circus that ties down the accused during proceedings?

No presidency has ever been ended by this procedure, right?

Would it not just feed the -already substantial- persecution fantasy of Trump's base and energise them for the elections?
Old 7th October 2019, 01:18 AM   #422
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

2020 will be about sapping enthusiasm for Trump: anything concrete Dems can point to will help with that, any good excuse for traditional Republicans to stay at home.
But it will take a thrashing at the ballot box for GOP leadership to gather the courage to denounce Trump openly and permanently.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 02:48 AM   #423
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Or is it just an inconvenient media/legal circus that ties down the accused during proceedings?

Would it not just feed the -already substantial- persecution fantasy of Trump's base and energise them for the elections?

Deploraphobia n. : Irrational fear of Trump's 40% base.

No matter how energized they are, they only get to vote once.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 02:55 AM   #424
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

We have reached peak Trump. I've called it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:07 AM   #425
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it matters, they will claim persecution and be energized whether or not Trump is impeached by the House.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 04:14 AM   #426
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Where as Hillary voters voted twice and sometimes three times
Old 7th October 2019, 04:17 AM   #427
Belz...
Fiend God

Good joke. 6/10.

Old 9th October 2019, 05:31 PM   #428
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Good joke. 6/10.
And I think he stole that line from Leo De Capio in Scorsese's "Gangs Of New York".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 01:35 PM   #429
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Just another lie.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:06 PM   #430
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not (at least not directly), since republicans in the Senate are unlikely to vote him out.
Quote:
Trump has been a very corrupt and destructive individual.

Impeachment proceedings can do 3 things (any of which will be beneficial)
- It might force him out of office. (The chance is tiny, but it still exists)
- By highlighting some of his corrupt behavior, it gives added knowledge to the electorate in the next election, so that even if he's not forced out within the next year, there is a better chance he'll lose in 2020.
- It may help 'tie him down', if Republicans decide that the added attention of impeachment necessitates them actually cracking down on Trump.

Now, there is a chance he may become more unstable over time, but given how bad he was before, I can't really see things getting much worse.
Quote:
Nixon resigned, but he would not have left office were it not for the impeachment proceedings.
Quote:
Would it not just feed the -already substantial- persecution fantasy of Trump's base and energize them for the elections?
There is a chance that some people who might have liked Trump are encouraged to vote instead of sitting out the 2020 election. But there's also a chance it will energize people who might have sat out thinking "Trump ain't so bad" to make them think "Ok, this guy really does need to be removed".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #431
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do we even have a definition of "peak Trump"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:34 PM   #432
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The point at which everything goes downhill for him. Much easier to see in retrospect but harder to see at the time.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics