ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags republican party , Texas politics , Will Hurd

Old 17th September 2019, 12:28 PM   #41
Armitage72
Illuminator

Paul Cook, a Republican Representative from California can be added to the list.

Quote:
Rep. Paul Cook, a California Republican, announced Tuesday that he will not seek reelection to the House in 2020, adding to the growing number of House Republicans who plan to depart in 2020.

Cook will pursue a seat on the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors, he said.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:39 PM   #42
Lurch
Muse

Wouldn't it be nice if all these Goopers bailing out would speak up about their reasons for skipping out on the Trump Train. Might some have a pricked conscience? Or is it just that they cynically see the writing on the wall, figuring it's best to git while it still looks not quite so obviously like rats leaving the sinking ship.

Either way, I see at least some of that lot as cowards. For not standing up for their convictions, if possessing some shred of honor. Or for their haste in exiting, with only their own job prospects (not public service) being the principal concern.

In any event, this will tend to redound to the Dems, so I shan't deride too vehemently.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 10:34 AM   #43
plague311
Great minds think...

Texas running out of Republicans? I mean, obviously the answer is "hell no!", but another one isn't going to seek re-election:

Quote:
Rep. Mac Thornberry on Monday became the sixth Texas Republican to announce plans to head for the exits of Capitol Hill, saying in a statement that he will not seek reelection in 2020

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One reason;It looks as if the chances of the GOP retaking the House in 2020, always small, are looking as if they will be non existent and they don't want to spend years in futility.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:46 PM   #45
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
This quote also applies. I'm aware that having one entirely dysfunctional party is overall bad for the country. Unfortunately, I also can't see any way to fix the GOP without just burning it all down and starting over.

Sometimes an old building is so dilapidated, it takes far more time and effort to shore it up that to just demolish it and start over. That sucks for the people still living in it, who would like to just repair it, in hopes of it becoming what it once was. But just plastering over the major structural flaws never works. The Crazy Wing has taken over the GOP, and they won't willingly give up control to the non-crazy wing. I suppose we could have every registered Democrat sign up as a Republican instead, and vote in primaries en mass for the least-crazy candidate, but that's unlikely to happen. There are not enough non-crazy Republicans left to fix it by themselves.
I think you're right. I thought, before Trump, that the Republican Party is dying. Long term, their demographics don't look good, and even before Trump, they had mostly dropped any claim that they valued the good of the country above the good of their shrinking constituency. In the end, I think Trump will hasten the process. I fully expect, within the next 10-15 years, to see the Republican Party shrink to insignificance, and the Democrats to split. We haven't seen something like it since the Whig Party disappeared and were replaced by the Republicans.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:58 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I think you're right. I thought, before Trump, that the Republican Party is dying. Long term, their demographics don't look good, and even before Trump, they had mostly dropped any claim that they valued the good of the country above the good of their shrinking constituency. In the end, I think Trump will hasten the process. I fully expect, within the next 10-15 years, to see the Republican Party shrink to insignificance, and the Democrats to split. We haven't seen something like it since the Whig Party disappeared and were replaced by the Republicans.
Oh, I have been predicting the possibility of "Blue Dog" democrats and "Never Trump " republicans forming the core of a new party, that would be fairly but not extremely conservative on fiscal and economic matters, but liberal on social issues.
A lot depends if the progressive wing of the Dems becomes a Left Wing Tea Party and drives the more moderate Dems out of the party.
Some of the rhetorice I have been seeing on the Net from the "Prog" wing of the Dems indicates that now has a real chance of happening.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:59 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And with Perry stepping down as Energy Secretary, the image I get is of rats abandoning a sinking ship...

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics