ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial categorization , racial isssues

Old 22nd September 2019, 06:56 AM   #441
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Double irony in regard to this thread: for most of their existence DAR actively prohibited African Americans/Blacks from joining. I am not certain what percent was required to invalidate one's application. However for many years in the South "one drop" black blood" (any black ancestry) was considered enough to define one as black legally and socially. Of course Warren would be considered without question Native American if this type of standard was applied to her!

This also illustrates how slippery, complex, and often erroneous definitions of race are. The central problem of course is that "race" is a meaningless term in genetics. The classical definitions of race do not match up with the actual science. Some alleles tend to be more common in some groups than others and this can be used as an approximation of ancestry. But there is enormous variation within each group, people outside that group may nonetheless share some of the same alleles as those inside, and the boundaries are very vague. Most people are a complicated mix of different ancestries. To try to say that having 1/4 some "race-related" alleles qualifies you as that race, but 1/8 or 1/16 etc. doesn't is meaningless as well as arbitrary; it simply doesn't work like that. The genetic data cannot be interpreted that way.

This can get even weirder and sillier.

When Virginia codified the"one drop rule" with its Racial Integrity Act of 1924, intended to prevent miscegenation by outlawing any marriage between people of different races it was accompanied by Virginia eliminating any distinction between races except for "white" and "colored". This placed all people with any Native American ancestry into the "colored" group.

"White person" was defined by law as "... the person who has no trace whatsoever of any blood other than Caucasian; ..." [my italics].

However!

Yes. There was an exception.
"... but persons who have one-sixteenth or less of the blood of the American Indian and have no other non-Caucasic blood shall be deemed to be white persons."
But why? Funny you should ask.

Many of the landed and wealthy old leading families of Virginia liked to claim descent from ... you guessed it ... Pocahontas, regardless of how spurious the claim might have been, and were quite concerned that the new anti-miscegenation law might suddenly make them "colored", with all of the attendant social and legal disadvantages.

And it would be unthinkable for them to abandon their claims of descent from Pocahontas just because they wanted to screw over the blacks and the Indians without any effect on themselves.

Of course.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 22nd September 2019 at 07:03 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:17 PM   #442
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This placed all people with any Native American ancestry into the "colored" group.
An aside:

It was so long ago now that I forget the context*, but a friend of mine (African American from Richmond) once explained to me that "Charles City girls" were the best-looking in the state. Charles City County is southeast of Richmond, and was quite rural and socioeconomically depressed back then. According to his family and cultural lore, Charles City County was a place with lots of Reconstruction Era racial mixing among freed blacks, Native Americans (Powhatans presumably, aka, Pocahontas' people; maybe also Chickahominy), and whites.

According to my friend, when he was a teenager in the big city of Richmond, it was a status symbol among the boys to date a Charles City girl: African-American woman with light-to-cinnamon skin and light eyes, often green or turquoise blue. (*The context might have been us seeing a beautiful woman, him claiming to know what county she was from, and me asking how he knew that.)

Anyway, if there's any truth to his claims, this would have been evidence of One Drop Rule segregation still evident on American landscapes in the 1990s.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 02:49 AM   #443
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm highly unimpressed by certain of the arguments that some of the more active posters have put forward. Your blatantly tribal approach to things, not just in this thread, serves as a prime example.
Speaking of unimpressive arguments, I'm still waiting to see how you connect your premise to your conclusion.

The only conclusion I can reach right now is that you're using a different definition of the word "lie".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 03:05 AM   #444
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Speaking of unimpressive arguments, I'm still waiting to see how you connect your premise to your conclusion.

The only conclusion I can reach right now is that you're using a different made-up definition of the word "lie".
FTFY
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 03:46 AM   #445
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Wrong. It cuts precisely to the point.

Do you agree it would be BS for us to address one another this way? Why? (I'm Caucasian, emanating originally from Africa of course.)
Caucasian is simply a word for humans whose pelts are on the less pigmented scale of human pelts. It tells you nothing about their actual ancestry so I'm not sure why you are using it in this thread which is about ancestry?
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:06 AM   #446
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Caucasian is simply a word for humans whose pelts are on the less pigmented scale of human pelts. It tells you nothing about their actual ancestry so I'm not sure why you are using it in this thread which is about ancestry?
Or, indeed, why he uses African-American for anyone with African ancestry?

I feel like varwoche’s argument in this thread falls apart just under the weight of its own assumptions, misconceptions, and factual errors.
Old 28th September 2019, 11:03 AM   #447
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

(Ow, my ribs) I see you have a pelt Darat - a rather tabby one - but how can I put this...
Old 28th September 2019, 12:36 PM   #448
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Caucasian is simply a word for humans whose pelts are on the less pigmented scale of human pelts.
Hahaha not even close.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

Where do you come up with these lies, Darat? Do you make them up yourself, or are they revealed to you by a higher source of "truth"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:51 PM   #449
Venom
Illuminator

Caucasians are from the Caucasus.

Georgians, Armenians, Abkhazians, Chechens, Southern Russians.

Any other definition I think is obsolete and just plain unhelpful.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 06:58 PM   #450
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hahaha not even close.

Where do you come up with these lies, Darat? Do you make them up yourself, or are they revealed to you by a higher source of "truth"?
Your wiki link says:
Quote:
In the United States, the root term Caucasian is often used, both colloquially and by the US Census Bureau, as a synonym for white.
Then the word "white" is hyperlinked to this, which says:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people
Quote:
The usage of "white people" or a "white race" for a large group of mainly or exclusively European populations, defined by their light skin, among other physical characteristics, and contrasting with "black people", Amerindians, and other "colored" people or "persons of color", originated in the 17th century.
Old 29th September 2019, 04:44 AM   #451
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Slightly off topic (but more on topic than weird flexing about the definition of caucasions).

My real main takeaway from this whole thing is that I was unimpressed that Warren took Trump's bait on this whole thing. After seeing an almost identical setup with Obama's birth certificate, she should have seen the setup for what it was. And THE major job for a democratic candidate in the short term is to be an effective candidate against Trump in a primary.

My misgivings were amplified a bit in the wake of this whistleblower issue.

Warren was being questioned by a reporter who seized on the Biden issue, and asked Warren something to the effect of whether she would think it were okay if her child accepted a position similar to Biden's son. She was caught off guard, hemmed and hawed and stuttered. It was not a powerful image.

I think Warren's policies and views are what i want in the White House. But she's not showing the backbone and poise that's needed to prevail in an election. If she falls for more obvious Trump tricks, if she stutters and can't answer a question in debate, all of that would make her look very weak.

It's weird that Trump's base seems to celebrate him being "not a politician" when his ONLY skill is spinning things with BS.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 05:55 AM   #452
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Your wiki link says:

Then the word "white" is hyperlinked to this, which says:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people
My link says that Caucasian sometimes means means white, but doesn't simply mean white. In fact, it's not a simple word at all, and Darat is wrong to try to oversimplify it the way he has here.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 06:07 AM   #453
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Your Surrender is accepted
Old 29th September 2019, 06:56 AM   #454
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Slightly off topic (but more on topic than weird flexing about the definition of caucasions).
Weird indeed. Clearly Darat was referring to colloquial usage of the term which is "white people" and the whole point of his post was that the people who fall under that umbrella represent an enormous variety. People out here thinking that they're dunking on the dude's flawed anthropology dissertation or something and I'm like y'all need some more constructive hobbies.

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
My real main takeaway from this whole thing is that I was unimpressed that Warren took Trump's bait on this whole thing.
Boom. Even the part about Trump baiting her with the million dollar bet was an obvious farce. She HAD to know that if she could prove her Native ancestry 1) he wouldn't pay, 2) he'd spin it to make her look like a fool, and 3) his base wouldn't care. She needs to be smarter than that.

Her second gaffe was that – although she was confident enough in her ancestry to actually take the test – she had very little understanding of what Native folks feel about such things. The backlash from the left should've been obvious too. How could she have been so clueless about Native people while she's engaged in this public dust-up over her own Native ancestry? Years ago she should have sought the council of Cherokee elders on this.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 07:14 AM   #455
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Weird indeed. Clearly Darat was referring to colloquial usage of the term which is "white people" and the whole point of his post was that the people who fall under that umbrella represent an enormous variety. People out here thinking that they're dunking on the dude's flawed anthropology dissertation or something and I'm like y'all need some more constructive hobbies.
No. Darat tried to force an oversimplification in order to win an argument. He can't unilaterally decide what simple definition applies to someone else's use of a complex term, just because it's rhetorically convenient for him to do so. Nor can he rebut someone's legitimate use of the term in reference to ancestry by asserting that it simply means something else instead.

Yet he attempted both those things.

Last edited by theprestige; 29th September 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 29th September 2019, 08:13 AM   #456
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Where I am, "Caucasian" in reference to race just means "White"; it's employed because some people feel embarrassed about referring to white people as a race, given history.

When the word "Caucasian" is used in other contexts it's usually about geography, particularly the mountain range of that name.

I think it's disingenous for Americans, at least, to pretend confusion as to what "Caucasian" means when used in context of race. It means white people. What that includes or excludes is up to the reader of whatever they're reading it on, and it depends on the other choices available.
Old 29th September 2019, 08:39 AM   #457
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Where I am, "Caucasian" in reference to race just means "White"; it's employed because some people feel embarrassed about referring to white people as a race, given history.

When the word "Caucasian" is used in other contexts it's usually about geography, particularly the mountain range of that name.

I think it's disingenous for Americans, at least, to pretend confusion as to what "Caucasian" means when used in context of race. It means white people. What that includes or excludes is up to the reader of whatever they're reading it on, and it depends on the other choices available.
But...but...there’s Internet Points to be scored!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 10:23 AM   #458
The Shrike
Philosopher

Once again oversimplifying a complex topic. Why not just tell the truth about what Caucasian means, Darat?
You're aware that scrolling down through the link you provided will land the reader at Usage in the United States and describe Darat's interpretation at length, right?

Here are a couple of gems from that section:

Besides its use in anthropology and related fields, the term "Caucasian" has often been used in the United States in a different, social context to describe a group commonly called "white people".[71] "White" also appears as a self-reporting entry in the U.S. Census.[72]

The Supreme Court in United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923) decided that Asian Indians were ineligible for citizenship because, though deemed "Caucasian" anthropologically, they were not white like European descendants since most laypeople did not consider them to be "white" people.
Old 29th September 2019, 10:30 AM   #459
ArchSas
Thinker

Boom. Even the part about Trump baiting her with the million dollar bet was an obvious farce. She HAD to know that if she could prove her Native ancestry 1) he wouldn't pay, 2) he'd spin it to make her look like a fool, and 3) his base wouldn't care. She needs to be smarter than that.

Her second gaffe was that – although she was confident enough in her ancestry to actually take the test – she had very little understanding of what Native folks feel about such things. The backlash from the left should've been obvious too. How could she have been so clueless about Native people while she's engaged in this public dust-up over her own Native ancestry? Years ago she should have sought the council of Cherokee elders on this.
Pretty my my thoughts as well. As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't appear to have been bullied into doing it, as many people seem to think. It's always been clear to me that it was Warren's attempt at shaming Trump by getting one of his attempts to insult her to backfire; like "Hey, he said if I did this, he'd donate lots of money to charity, and now he's not doing it - this is gross." The problem is, Trump can't be shamed like that. It just doesn't work, because he refuses to hold himself to any kind of moral standard and has a history of doing things like that (not paying workers, using a charity as a slush fund, etc.). He simply doesn't care. Warren didn't realize that until she'd already done something incredibly foolish, but hopefully she used the whole thing as a learning experience.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 12:16 PM   #460
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You're aware that scrolling down through the link you provided will land the reader at Usage in the United States and describe Darat's interpretation at length, right?

Here are a couple of gems from that section:

Besides its use in anthropology and related fields, the term "Caucasian" has often been used in the United States in a different, social context to describe a group commonly called "white people".[71] "White" also appears as a self-reporting entry in the U.S. Census.[72]

The Supreme Court in United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923) decided that Asian Indians were ineligible for citizenship because, though deemed "Caucasian" anthropologically, they were not white like European descendants since most laypeople did not consider them to be "white" people.
Yes. My point is that you have to scroll down, because there's a lot meaning to unpack. It's not just "simply" what Darat claimed.

Darat tried to oversimplify that whole long history and complexity of the term, for spurious rhetorical advantage.

ETA: Using darker fonts makes your posts difficult to read on some readability settings. Rather than emphasizing important information, you're pretty much making it invisible.

Last edited by theprestige; 29th September 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:56 AM   #461
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

I'm from the UK and my understanding of 'Caucasian' has always been number two in this list of definitions:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Caucasian

Quote:
2. (anthropology) Of a racial classification; pertaining to people having certain phenotypical features such as straight, wavy or curly hair and very light to brown pigmented skin, and originating from Europe, parts of Northern Africa and Western, Central and South Asia.
Not that I think it has any biological validity.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 11:29 AM   #462
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hahaha not even close.

My link says that Caucasian sometimes means means white, but doesn't simply mean white. In fact, it's not a simple word at all, and Darat is wrong to try to oversimplify it the way he has here.
No. Darat tried to force an oversimplification in order to win an argument. He can't unilaterally decide what simple definition applies to someone else's use of a complex term, just because it's rhetorically convenient for him to do so. Nor can he rebut someone's legitimate use of the term in reference to ancestry by asserting that it simply means something else instead.

Yes. My point is that you have to scroll down, because there's a lot meaning to unpack. It's not just "simply" what Darat claimed.

Darat tried to oversimplify that whole long history and complexity of the term, for spurious rhetorical advantage.

Interesting that you started out calling Darat's post "lies" and then quickly realising that they are not lies, you re-characterised them as "over simplifications" Nice bit of backpedalling!

Also interesting that one of the common uses definitions of "Caucasian" is describing a white person. The term "Caucasian" has long been (and in some cases, still is) used to officially describe a white person, for example, when LEO's put out a bolo for a while male suspect, they often use the term "Male, Caucasian" to describe him. While you might argue that this is technically incorrect (and you have a point with that) I nonetheless disagree with your accusation that Darat was lying or over-simplifying. The fact is that right or wrong, "Caucasian = White Person" is a definition in common use, and Darat correctly used that accepted definition, i.e. he did not change that definition to make his point.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 11:37 AM   #463
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Interesting that you started out calling Darat's post "lies" and then quickly realising that they are not lies, you re-characterised them as "over simplifications" Nice bit of backpedalling!
My thesis is that the oversimplification was intentional and dishonest.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:53 AM   #464
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Interestingly enough, that's exactly the same reason neither you nor varwoche were ever able to prove Warren lied about her ancestry.

Glad to see you're finally catching on!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 12:25 PM   #465
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Hahaha not even close.

Were you adding to the conversation or just taking a poke at another member? I suspect these two words highlight the true nature of your post: "Oh delightful. I can now knock around another poster while simultaneously demonstrating my superior knowledge."

Lies? Really? I am an American and indeed Caucasian was routinely used as a synonym for white during most of my life: on forms, in books, in newspaper articles, in political speeches, in normal conversations, etc. Still is in many contexts. Not worth remarking on, let allow finding amusing.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:17 AM   #466
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningThere is no need to personalize this argument.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics