ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st October 2019, 09:06 AM   #201
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I appreciate your taking the time that I was not willing to spend to do these rebuttals .
I just came across a few pertinent Tweets:
Kasporov, that name takes me WAY back. He's seen a thing or two.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:11 AM   #202
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Sure. A murderer would be worse. But I don't remember one ever running for president. I'm trying to think of a past president in our lifetime who has behaved in such a sheer egregious manner as Trump. Can't think of one. Can you?
Trump took out a full-page ad advocating the judicial murder of the Central Park 5.
Old 1st October 2019, 09:33 AM   #203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm far more concerned about what Trump actually does than what he actually says.
Ok so does what he does concern you?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 09:45 AM   #204
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
thinks there's "good people" among white supremacists,
You know that this is based on a lie about what he said, right?
No, no its not.

Trump's claim is that there were "fine people on both sides" of the conflict.

However, the people that attended the rally were, to a person, racists/neo-nazis/etc. How do we know that? Because:
- The statues themselves were erected to glorify a racist past
- The rally itself was advertised as a 'unite the right' event
- There were plenty of nazi flags at the event, and attendees broke out in racist slogans such as "jews will not replace us". Now, I'm not sure about you, but if I go anywhere and people start breaking out neo-nazi flags and chanting racist slogans, I am not going to stick around. I can't envision anyone dumb enough to show up at the rally, and upon seeing nazi flags thinking "Oh, there's nothing wrong here".

So, for Trump to say that there are "fine people on both sides", he is implying that at least some of the white supremacists were "fine people".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 01:15 PM   #205
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Ok so does what he does concern you?
Not more than any other president.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 01:34 PM   #206
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Garry Kasparov's book "Winter is Coming-Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped" was a good read although it was a tad over the top at times.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 06:18 PM   #207
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Garry Kasparov's book "Winter is Coming-Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped" was a good read although it was a tad over the top at times.
Kasparov is regularly over the top.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:02 AM   #208
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

so you are saying that previous Congress' all failed in their role and should have impeached every other President?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 02:40 AM   #209
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
so you are saying that previous Congress' all failed in their role and should have impeached every other President?
A jaywalker is a criminal. A serial killer is a criminal. Both are just criminals and should be treated equally.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:20 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You see this is why I don't like how ingrained we let "LOL all politicians are dirty, politics is all one big dirty game" get into our cultural psyche.

We've treated the concept of politics and the "politician" archtype as joke who dirtiness was just assumed with a shrug and "well whatchagonnadoaboutit?" for so long that I'm surprised it took us this long to have to deal with an outright unapologetic dirty cheating lair defended with either whataboutism directed at a whatabout that's more cliche then true or the stupid preteen angst "The whole system is rotten so I'm gonna defend the rottenest of it as a silly stupid affect to show how much more detached and better then you I am" straw nihilism.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:41 AM   #211
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
A jaywalker is a criminal. A serial killer is a criminal. Both are just criminals and should be treated equally.
Also don't even think about mentioning the serial killer without first having discussed every jaywalker.
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:42 AM   #212
Belz...
Fiend God

Not more so than ANY other president?

You really don't think that his disregard for the rule of law, which I seem to remember you thought was very important, is a cause for special concern?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:02 AM   #213
Venom
Illuminator

meh "the optics don't matter so much"

When he actually has somebody killed I'll speak up.

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:56 AM   #214
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
meh "the optics don't matter so much"

When he actually has somebody killed I'll speak up.
Not if the person is you.

Old 2nd October 2019, 08:59 AM   #215
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not if the person is you.
An accusing ghost is all we need to make this impeachment a full-blown circus.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:00 AM   #216
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
An accusing ghost is all we need to make this impeachment a full-blown circus.
The ghost of impeachments past.

Old 2nd October 2019, 09:05 AM   #217
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not more so than ANY other president?

You really don't think that his disregard for the rule of law, which I seem to remember you thought was very important, is a cause for special concern?
I don't accept your premise that he has disregarded the rule of law to any greater degree than a number of other presidents.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:06 AM   #218
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The ghost of impeachments past.
From the Pits of Hell!
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:11 AM   #219
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't accept your premise that he has disregarded the rule of law to any greater degree than a number of other presidents.
the only possible explanation that I can see for your statement is deliberate ignorance.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:24 AM   #220
Belz...
Fiend God

One wonders what he'd have to do for you to drop that pretense and rejoin reality.

Old 2nd October 2019, 09:54 AM   #221
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the only possible explanation that I can see for your statement is deliberate ignorance.
I'm flattered that you avoided an accusation of malice.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:37 AM   #222
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm flattered that you avoided an accusation of malice.
I could invoke Hanlon's razor ..

but I won't.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:41 AM   #223
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My problem with Hanlon's razor is that at a certain point ignorance and maliciousness become the same thing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:53 AM   #224
Venom
Illuminator

Trump blatantly encouraged supporters to assault political rivals and Don McGahn to obstruct justice.

His conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds from those two actions alone.
Old 4th October 2019, 03:53 PM   #225
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
My problem with Hanlon's razor is that at a certain point ignorance and maliciousness become the same thing.
Well, also, as Trump has demonstrated so well, it is entirely possible to be both evil and incompetent.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics