ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 22nd September 2019, 12:12 AM   #41
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Hold the biggest, most beautiful inauguration ever!
Hold more rallies.
Threaten more countries with being nuked.
Stack the courts with partisan judges.
Try to work out how to use an umbrella.
Lose more staff
Try to create the most bizarre tweet ever
Act like an obnoxious four year old to anyone he doesn't like.
Use a brighter shade of orange makeup.
Watch Fox News.
Retweet conspiracy theorists and Nazis.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:36 AM   #42
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It would mean that ISF members are totally out of touch with what matters to Americans - especially the American members.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:55 AM   #43
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You've heard the fable about the boy who cried wolf. Well, I have now been politically aware during the re-election battles for four Republican presidents: Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr. And during each of those re-election efforts, I was assured by liberals of my acquaintance that this was an existential vote. Hell, I worked on the McGovern campaign (extremely minor role), so it's not like I needed any encouragement. And Nixon was re-elected and Reagan was re-elected and Bush Jr. was re-elected, but somehow the republic survived.
If you can't see the difference between those people and Trump, I can't help you.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:58 AM   #44
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Ivanka for 2024.
With a demented Trump loitering the white house corridors, thinking he's still president.
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:21 AM   #45
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It would mean that ISF members are totally out of touch with what matters to Americans - especially the American members.

I understand what matters to Americans. Most people have the same concerns. Stability, security, family, freedom. The simple minded approach to complex problems and their deplorable solutions are something else.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:22 AM   #46
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Several million deaths around the world from apoplexy at excessive laughter.

Ivanka for 2024.
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
With a demented Trump loitering the white house corridors, thinking he's still president.
Yeah, and actually it is not as far-fetched as we might like to believe. If Ivanka did run for President, essentially she might end up President in the same way that Medvedev was president and Putin was prime minister.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:04 AM   #47
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Your inability to see why Trump is a clear and presetne danget to US Democracy is incredible.
I'd use the word "astounding" instead. Remember, The PDJT uses "incredible" for any thing that's bigly good.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:26 AM   #48
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
An resigned shortly after to avoid Impeachment.

And avoided indictment by the onset of Alzheimer's. He also left behind a ruined economy that still had not recovered from the damage that was done.

And left the country in two major wars, massive debt, the second largest rescission in history, and an economy that took most of the next eight years to repair.

Given the damage that these guys did, and it's on going effects that are still being felt nearly 40 years, and given that Trump is considerably worse than either Bush or Reagan, you really want to take that risk?
60 years ago vast swaths of the government collaborated with terrorist groups to suppress an ethnic minority. And that was still better than the two centuries leading up to it.

Trump isn't hurting anything. The republic has always been rotten in it's core.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:33 AM   #49
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You've heard the fable about the boy who cried wolf. Well, I have now been politically aware during the re-election battles for four Republican presidents: Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr. And during each of those re-election efforts, I was assured by liberals of my acquaintance that this was an existential vote. Hell, I worked on the McGovern campaign (extremely minor role), so it's not like I needed any encouragement. And Nixon was re-elected and Reagan was re-elected and Bush Jr. was re-elected, but somehow the republic survived.
This isn't the first time I've heard the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" metaphor horribly misused in reference to Trump.

I'm utterly amazed at the number of people who read the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" and somehow came away with the moral that sheep deserved to get eaten because the boy cried wolf too many times.

The moral of the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" was never supposed to be that wolves don't exist and never eat sheep and that you shouldn't care when they do because you would miss a chance to troll the boy for saying wolf too many times.

In the abstract I am annoyed at how the second biggest retcon in the Liberal Narrative right now (only behind "Yeah we totally thought Trump had a legit chance of winning and were treating like an actual political threat and not a joke") is their trying to pretend that they didn't use the same "ALL IS LOST! ALL IS LOST!" language with Bush. They did, I was there. It's adorable that they think nobody remembers. Maybe if they hadn't spent 8 years demonizing Bush they'd have some language left to use that had any actual impact when an actual demon got elected.

But I'm not going to watch a slow moving coup turn the world's remaining superpower into a theocracy just to teach the Democrats a lesson about being overlydramatic.

Again if Conservatives could operate on any level beyond "showing up the Dems" that would be just super.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd September 2019 at 06:39 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:50 AM   #50
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Depending on how one views how much bush economic policies impacted the great recession, devil comments and death of the republic comments were probably accurate.

If bush used brown shirts to forcefully evict up to 10 million Americans we would compare that time to the Khmer rouge. His policies accomplished the same feat in a different way?

Even the severity of the opioid crisis is an aftershock of the recession.

To say things turned out okay is risible.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:04 AM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But I'm not going to watch a slow moving coup turn the world's remaining superpower into a theocracy just to teach the Democrats a lesson about being overlydramatic.

Again if Conservatives could operate on any level beyond "showing up the Dems" that would be just super.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:00 AM   #52
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump isn't the one trying to engage in a coup. Nor is he interested in theocracy. Hell, he's not even interested in theology.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:25 AM   #53
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So it's going to be armed resistence, then?
Doubt it, but California might just cede and take all the money it sends to Washington for use in Red States with it.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:28 AM   #54
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
This sums it up nicely...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:57 AM   #55
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

oy vey
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:01 AM   #56
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
This sums it up nicely...

I AGREE
Yep. Yep it does.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:40 PM   #57
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Just a thought experiment, I hope.
Assume:
Trump has a solid win in both the EC and popular vote.
Republicans get to 60 Senators.
Republicans retake the House.
Republicans increase their control of governorships and state legislatures.

What happens?
Constitutional amendment to remove presidential term limits?
Why do I think that such an amendment would not include the following phrase found in the 22nd amendment: “But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress,”?
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:47 PM   #58
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Trump is a populist on the campaign trail only. You can find no one more elitist than someone who grew up a millionaire and lives in a golden apartment in NYC.

*Psssh* "Trump is a populist."

As for why, it's the oldest reason in the world, and he's already done it once.

(Okay, he leased national park lands for various forms of oil and coal extraction. Still, not great for national park land.)
I don't think you understand what a National Park is. He did no such thing. There's a huge and extremely significant difference between "public lands" and "National Parks."

ETA: Okay, okay, I see this issue was already hashed through. The difference, though, is profound. Public lands are frequently expected to be used for resources and what Trump did wasn't unusual at all.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 22nd September 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:51 PM   #59
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
side splitter!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:13 PM   #60
angrysoba
Philosophile

Removing term limits would probably be a bad strategy for the Republicans. The Democrats would just take Obama out of storage.

Old 22nd September 2019, 04:14 PM   #61
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Followed by the Second American CIvil War.
With any luck.

Originally Posted by psionl0
Last election eligible voter turnout was only 60.2%. Trump could win in a 'landslide' and it still wouldn't represent what matters to (the majority of) Americans.

And why should it matter anyway? If other people have different ideas that just means they are out of touch with what matters to me.
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:40 PM   #62
a_unique_person

I left out.

Trump starts the whole End Times thing.
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:20 PM   #63
Venom
Illuminator

I wish it was 2012 again. PLease take me back.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:22 PM   #64
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Why do I think that such an amendment would not include the following phrase found in the 22nd amendment: “But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress,”?
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Removing term limits would probably be a bad strategy for the Republicans. The Democrats would just take Obama out of storage.
Simple. Just include the phrase: "But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President prior to when this article was proposed by the Congress."
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:40 PM   #65
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Doubt it, but California might just cede and take all the money it sends to Washington for use in Red States with it.
Ya, Cali is so rich we are first in homelessness, first in poverty, almost last in education, are actually in debt when paying off government pensions is included in the figures, ultra-high taxes, ultra-high gas prices, expensive food, real estate and everything else.

We tax and regulate businesses away. Silicon Valley, the part in northern San Jose, is a ghost town. Empty buildings everywhere. Too expensive to do business here. They have been empty for a long time.

Not enough water (and plenty of corruption in that area), poor electrical grid, bad roads. No wonder why Cali is so "rich". It doesn't spend money to fix its problems. But hey, we're a sanctuary state!

I'm leaving soon, you can nuke it after that.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:01 PM   #66
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ya, Cali is so rich we are first in homelessness, first in poverty, almost last in education, are actually in debt when paying off government pensions is included in the figures, ultra-high taxes, ultra-high gas prices, expensive food, real estate and everything else.

We tax and regulate businesses away. Silicon Valley, the part in northern San Jose, is a ghost town. Empty buildings everywhere. Too expensive to do business here. They have been empty for a long time.

Not enough water (and plenty of corruption in that area), poor electrical grid, bad roads. No wonder why Cali is so "rich". It doesn't spend money to fix its problems. But hey, we're a sanctuary state!

California is 18th in poverty rates.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:10 PM   #67
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
California is 18th in poverty rates.

Citations? Trump supporters don't need no stinkin citations!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:16 PM   #68
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Citations? Trump supporters don't need no stinkin citations!
Not a trump supporter

This one is probably a better source than the one I used and has 21

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_poverty_rate
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:41 PM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Simple. Just include the phrase: "But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President prior to when this article was proposed by the Congress."
Some sort of "You can't change the rules of your own elected position and any changes you make to don't take effect during your office" is one of those no brainers I can't believe we even have to argue.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:06 PM   #70
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Not a trump supporter

This one is probably a better source than the one I used and has 21

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_poverty_rate

My comment was directed at mgidm86, not you.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:50 PM   #71
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

California only pays a bit more to the feds than they receive. If California really tried to secede from the Union, though, I think Democrats in the rest of the country might panic when the realize the implications. Winning the presidency or getting a majority in the house is much more difficult for Democrats without California.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:05 PM   #72
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
California only pays a bit more to the feds than they receive. If California really tried to secede from the Union, though, I think Democrats in the rest of the country might panic when the realize the implications. Winning the presidency or getting a majority in the house is much more difficult for Democrats without California.
This would only happen when Republicans made it impossible to win through democratic means.
And California wouldn't be alone.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:10 PM   #73
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This would only happen when Republicans made it impossible to win through democratic means.
And California wouldn't be alone.
All the Democrats have to do to win elections is not be crazy. Did Republicans make that impossible? Or are they choosing to be crazy all on their own?
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:13 PM   #74
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The scenario was that Trump wins 2020 and therefore has the power to change the number of seats each state gets by modifying the Census data, something he could absolutely do if in power.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:24 PM   #75
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The scenario was that Trump wins 2020 and therefore has the power to change the number of seats each state gets by modifying the Census data, something he could absolutely do if in power.
If you're positing an actual conspiracy, sorry, I don't find that credible. If it's just some tweaks to how the data is interpreted, 1) that can't shift things very much, certainly less than the margin of many political victories, and 2) it won't matter in 10 years when the next census is taken, quite possibly by a Democratic administration.

If, that is, the Democrats can be not crazy. Which, I admit, seems like a big ask right about now. But maybe not in 10 years.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:49 PM   #76
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

All the Democrats have to do to win elections is not be crazy.

Actually, they have to overcome Republican shenanigans, too.

FACT
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:50 PM   #77
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

If you're positing an actual conspiracy, sorry, I don't find that credible.....
....unless it's a Democrat conspiracy, in which case, damn the evidence, sign Zig up!

LOL!
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:54 PM   #78
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Constitutional amendment to remove presidential term limits?
They are certainly going to try. If they succeed or not, I don't know. But, if they do, I suspect Trump won't last much more than 2 years into his third term, before something kicks him out, somehow. Sometimes it takes 10 years before a population recognizes the source of their messes.

Selling off the National Parks?
To a certain degree, probably.

Declaring war on Ukraine?
I don't know if it will be the Ukraine specifically, but he might be prone to declare war on something, at some point.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:57 PM   #79
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
They are certainly going to try.
Wanna bet?
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:06 PM   #80
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's not a conspiracy, it's a Republican Strategy.
Why is Trump pushing so hard for data on Nationality in the Census? Why has he ordered the use of other sources of data to fill in nationality question if he doesn't get it in the Census?
Everyone looking at this understands it as a ploy to move seats from Blue States under the pretense that they have "millions of illegals voting".
Before putting this down as a conspiracy theory, maybe do a little research.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics