ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Pick a VP for the Dems who is not a Candidate

Title is hopefully clear:

Pick a VP for the Dems who is not a Candidate

I do think there will be a reluctance for the Nominee to pick one of the runner-ups as their VP. They will rather take someone on board who will somehow complement their policies/personalities without having been an outright rival.

Who, in this depleted field of Dems not running for President might be decent VP material?

Bonus points for matching them with a current Candidate.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Are we allowed to pick eliminated or soon-to-be-eliminated candidates? Or does it have to be somebody not in the debates?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 02:15 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Are we allowed to pick eliminated or soon-to-be-eliminated candidates? Or does it have to be somebody not in the debates?
Having absolute control, I decree that anyone who declared their candidacy or 2020 is off-limits...

...unless you have a solid argument for them.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 03:57 AM   #4
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You know, I'd rather not. Clinton's picking an old white guy out of nowhere came off badly. "I don't like Hillary, but this Kaine fella seems like a good guy," said absolutely no one.

Warren should pick Buttigieg or Harris. Both are more moderate than her, and would complement her policies without coming off as pandering.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:11 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Unless a miracle happens and Biden gets the nomination, the streak of D-VPs who didn't become President will continue.
Most in the current field think they will get another shot in 2024 or 2028 in case 2020 doesn't work out. I don't see them savoring the idea of being locked in the VP role for the foreseeable future.
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:26 AM   #6
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Unless a miracle happens and Biden gets the nomination, the streak of D-VPs who didn't become President will continue.
Most in the current field think they will get another shot in 2024 or 2028 in case 2020 doesn't work out. I don't see them savoring the idea of being locked in the VP role for the foreseeable future.
Harris might have bigger ambitions, but Buttigieg would jump at the chance. His biggest weakness is a lack of political experience at the national level.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:31 AM   #7
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to see Stacy Abrams as VP, although I'm not sure if it's better than her being Governor.

Anyway, I say Warren and Abrams 2020.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:06 AM   #8
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

The VP selection is often seen as a way of shoring up a weakness of the candidate, making a ticket that appeals to a wider audience. Biden was brought in to hopefully assuage conservative white wing of the party who perhaps saw Obama as much too uppity for a black man too progressive.

Not sure if someone like Bernie would follow such a precedent, but I imagine Warren or Biden would. Biden might select someone more progressive in a play for the farther left wing of the party. Warren might go for a more conservative, ideally minority candidate.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I'd like to see Stacy Abrams as VP, although I'm not sure if it's better than her being Governor.

That makes sense to me. The more liberal wing of the party is often criticized as being too white and not having much appeal with the more conservative, black wing of the party. Someone like Abrams could boost credibility for a white, progressive candidate.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 23rd September 2019 at 05:08 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Tom Wolf, Governor of Pennsylvania. He has executive experience and can help win a state the Dems need badly.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:49 AM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

Joe Biden should pick Greta Thunberg.

Or maybe Warren can pick The Rock. That one has to be a winning ticket.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:53 AM   #11
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I see former Governor of Tennessee, Phil Bredesen, as the ideal running mate
for Joseph Biden. He has a warm friendly tone. Together they feel like a pair
of well worn shoes.
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:54 AM   #12
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

If Warren gets the nod, she needs to get Tammy Duckworth to run as the VP candidate.
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:15 AM   #13
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by azazal View Post
If Warren gets the nod, she needs to get Tammy Duckworth to run as the VP candidate.
Two women on the same ticket? Never gonna happen.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
of well worn shoes.
The same Bredesen who decided to insult his progressive supporters by going on a rant about them a few weeks before his tight election against a moron running for Senate? You think Biden needs another old white guy running as a Republican-lite to try and attract those Trump voters that are going to vote Trump anyway?
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Donal
Illuminator

How about Stanley McChrystal? He favors the Dems, apparently, despite his fallout with the Obama administration and would add some foreign policy and military credentials to a candidate like Warren or Harris.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:11 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Rachel Dolezal would give Joe Biden some much-needed credibility with Black voters.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:12 AM   #17
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

That's been my thought, too.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:14 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How about John Bolton? I hear he's a man of the left.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:28 AM   #19
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Rachel Dolezal would give Joe Biden some much-needed credibility with Black voters.
Biden is already popular with black voters - particularly olde black voters. Sanders is a hit with the youngsters.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:47 AM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I wouldn't mind Tishaura Jones as VP, but few outside of St Louis know who she is.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:52 AM   #21
ahhell
Master Poster

I'd say Gavin Newsom but it would be a mistake for any Dem POTUS nominee to pick a VP from CA. There's no point and it could be a liability in the General. Regardless of record a CA dem will be seen as to lefty and the dems will take CA anyway.

There are a bunch of good choices among the current also rans. Warren will have the nomination and would be a could idea for her to pick a candidate who's seen as more moderate. Tulsi Gabbard or Pete Buttigigigigig would be the best choices.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:03 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Biden is already popular with black voters - particularly olde black voters. Sanders is a hit with the youngsters.
You're right. Harris is the one who could really use Dolezal's help with Black voters.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:08 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'd say Gavin Newsom but it would be a mistake for any Dem POTUS nominee to pick a VP from CA. There's no point and it could be a liability in the General. Regardless of record a CA dem will be seen as to lefty and the dems will take CA anyway.

There are a bunch of good choices among the current also rans. Warren will have the nomination and would be a could idea for her to pick a candidate who's seen as more moderate. Tulsi Gabbard or Pete Buttigigigigig would be the best choices.
Tulsi would be an embarrassment to the administration, instead of a quiet no-op (Biden) or behind the scenes vizier (Cheney).

I feel like at this point in his career, VP would actually be a step down for Mayor Pete. He's got a whole political career in front of him. Plenty of opportunities for bigger and better Executive and Legislative office, if that's his pleasure. I think it'd be premature for him to settle for the Great National Political Consolation Prize at this point.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:20 AM   #24
Donal
Illuminator

The rich white governor of California? Not bloody likely.

Quote:
Even if Gabbard didn't have her own problems, like she seems to be angling to be Stupid's new SecDef, a non-christian woman on a ticket already headlined by a woman? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:45 AM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think you missed that theprestige was making a little joke

(Hint: Google Rachael Dolezal)
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:39 PM   #26
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

I bet she would be good at it, but I don't think Abrams wants that job this time around.
A couple of cycles from now she might be interested if she is not busy being governor.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:01 PM   #27
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think you missed that theprestige was making a little joke

(Hint: Google Rachael Dolezal)
I didn’t and I know who she is.

ETA: The joke works better with theprestige’s revision.

Old 23rd September 2019, 07:38 PM   #28
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
I bet she would be good at it, but I don't think Abrams wants that job this time around.
A couple of cycles from now she might be interested if she is not busy being governor.
Abrams has already tossed her hat in the ring. Or, to be more accurate, has passed on the chance to take her hat out of the ring when asked by a fawning reporter.

Abrams' star rose with the great battle for the governorship of Georgia. She has a lot more on her side than Beto, but her rise could be like his, a flash in the pan. Not enough history. She needs to take on a GOP senator, or wait for the next gubernatorial election, or maybe Mayor of Atlanta.

Besides, my money is on Warren and as I said above, ain't no one thinking of running two women on the same ticket.

Any of the three top contenders is considered by the forgotten flyovers and the emerging west as East Coast Establishment. Sanders/Warren/Biden, to coin Bill Murray's description of Larry Bird, are not just white, they're so white that they're clear. Any one of them probably needs a black or hispanic running mate to stake out that traditional Democratic turf on civil and equal rights.

It's too early for all the political configurations to come into play, but some of the c.v. requirements should be obvious, should they take the nomination:
Biden needs someone younger and with regional appeal in the South or West and with progressive or very liberal credentials.
Sanders needs someone further to the middle of the political spectrum, younger, and with appeal outside the quads on campuses.
Warren needs someone with a dick, some midwestern or southern following, and a slightly darker hue.

I'm supposedly not allowed to pick named candidates, but Julian Castro covers most bases. I think a hispanic is de rigeur. Trump's lost his "my African American" guy and is in no danger to win a single black district. But the GOP has a certain appeal to conservative Hispanics, but that could be easily over-ridden with a Castro (or a longshot, Ruben Gallego).

Old 24th September 2019, 06:18 AM   #29
ahhell
Master Poster

It will be some governor of one of those states that both Trump and Obama did well in, someone who's name is not well known outside of their state.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 07:30 AM   #30
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Tom Wolf, Governor of Pennsylvania. He has executive experience and can help win a state the Dems need badly.

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
of well worn shoes.

Isn't there anyone out there born after 1950?
Old 24th September 2019, 11:56 AM   #31
Donal
Illuminator

Jennifer Granholm? If its Biden or Sanders
Old 24th September 2019, 12:02 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw Newsom the other day,here in Sac, eating a ice cream sunday at Leatherby's…..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 12:31 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sarah Palin. They should pick her just out of respect for John McCain, the last good Republican.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:58 AM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Two women on the same ticket? Never gonna happen.
Yeah, what happens if their cycles sync up?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 10:04 AM   #35
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How about John Bolton? I hear he's a man of the left.
How about Michael Bolton? No political experience, but the Democrats could save money on their campaign theme songs.

Or Ramsey Bolton? Oops... never mind... too fictional.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 03:54 PM   #36
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Jennifer Granholm? If its Biden or Sanders
Ineligible, and rightly so. She was born in Canada, and would hand over the nuclear launch codes to the first Mountie she saw.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #37
Venom
Illuminator

Jon Stewart.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 04:51 PM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Gary Locke. He was governor of Washington State, famously moderate, of Chinese ethnicity. He served as US Ambassador to China. He's been tested on a world stage and been away from all the sausage making in Washington. He scratches more than a few Democratic itches while not someone Republicans feel terribly strongly about.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:04 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Greta Thunberg.

I know, I know, but hear me out: We could amend the constitution so that she's eligible. And she's smart. And nominating her to such a high office would certainly impress schoolchildren around the world. It would be the perfect platform for her to advocate for better climate change policy in the US.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:13 PM   #40
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Here's an oddball pick: How about Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona (for Joe Biden)? She's smart (graduated from BYU at age 18), young (43), attractive, has solid bipartisan credentials and self-identifies as bisexual. She's from a state that is sort of must-win for the Democrats in 2020, and IMHO is in play. I was suspicious of her when she ran for the Senate last year, but I have been impressed ever since.

Of course the things that impress me have depressed a lot of local Democrats who have been pushing the state party to censure her (for not being liberal enough). So if Biden is looking to tamp down a restive left flank, she's probably not going to do the trick. But if he can secure the nomination, she would be a good fit for his "I can work with the reasonable Republicans once Trump is gone," schtick.

Sinema probably is not a good fit for Warren or Sanders, and if either of them get the nomination I would consider Arizona too much of a reach for the Democrats anyway.

Last edited by Brainster; 27th September 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics