ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 27th September 2019, 02:05 PM   #201
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Which is what you had to work with then.
Get your guy in office then you can try and change it, but you'll change it back when it fails your purposes and you know it.
Well lets not refer to it as a majority. It wasn't.. the problem with the electoral college is that California with a population of just under 40 million people has a total of 55 electoral votes and the 21 least populous states with a population of about 38 million has 97 votes.

A rural vote is worth double what a city vote is.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:08 PM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Progressives could solve their electoral problem by distributing themselves more evenly among the 50 states.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:16 PM   #203
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Progressives could solve their electoral problem by distributing themselves more evenly among the 50 states.
That would require living in the South. Been there, done that. Never again. And the mere idea of freezing my arse off in Montana, N. Dakota, Wyoming, etc is just as appealing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:21 PM   #204
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Since the number of electoral votes is the number of representatives plus the number of Senators, why not eliminate Senators from the equation. It still wouldn't be fair to the voters of California, but it would be better. 53 to 55.

Better yet, why not get rid of the Senate at the same time? We could also give DC, Guam and Puerto Rico voting rights in Congress. Or would all that be too fair for you?

Last edited by acbytesla; 27th September 2019 at 02:23 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:33 PM   #205
Lurch
Muse

No..... you're doing this all wrong, you blame it on Russian meddling, and overlook the fact that whole slew of Complacent dems "knew" she'd win and stayed home, and all that pesky baggage.

AND... she would have been better than the current stooge. But the Dems need to suck it up stop their never ending Snowflaking and take responsibility for their complacent role in the current situation.
One of your posts where I largely agree with you, Rocky.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:58 PM   #206
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Better yet, why not get rid of the Senate at the same time?
Or you could adjust the Senate formula slightly... perhaps grant between 1 and 3 senators per state... small states get 1, bigger states get 3. Smaller states would still end up with a little more power relative to their population than larger states, but the balance wouldn't be quite as huge.

Example:
Top 10 most populated states: 3 senators each
Bottom 10: 1 senator each
Remainder: 2 senators each
Quote:
We could also give DC, Guam and Puerto Rico voting rights in Congress.
Why not just grant DC and Puerto Rico full statehood? Both of them already have more population than Wyoming.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 03:14 PM   #207
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Or you could adjust the Senate formula slightly... perhaps grant between 1 and 3 senators per state... small states get 1, bigger states get 3. Smaller states would still end up with a little more power relative to their population than larger states, but the balance wouldn't be quite as huge.

Example:
Top 10 most populated states: 3 senators each
Bottom 10: 1 senator each
Remainder: 2 senators each

Why not just grant DC and Puerto Rico full statehood? Both of them already have more population than Wyoming.
That formula is better but only marginally better. And I don't see why we need a Senate? Because Britain was bicameral we must be too?

Also, Puerto Rico has 5 times the population of Wyoming.
Old 27th September 2019, 10:27 PM   #208
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

That formula is better but only marginally better. And I don't see why we need a Senate? Because Britain was bicameral we must be too?

Also, Puerto Rico has 5 times the population of Wyoming.
Well, if we're throwing out the constitution, why not just throw out the whole concept of individual states?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 05:20 AM   #209
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, if we're throwing out the constitution, why not just throw out the whole concept of individual states?
Fifty does seem like a lot. It might be more efficient and practical to combine some of them. If there were twenty states of roughly equal population then we'd be rid of the problem of tiny population states wielding undue influence.
Old 28th September 2019, 05:22 AM   #210
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If the US was run like a Corporation, plenty of States would have been merged, and California would have been broken up by Regulators for being too big.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 08:08 AM   #211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I wouldn't be against it. I travel a lot and while I understand the need for some local laws and taxes, I think the idea of states does too much to divide us. I love to fish. It would be nice to buy a single fishing license or get a National driver's or vehicle license. It would be nice if public education was a bit more equal.
Old 28th September 2019, 08:55 AM   #212
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Fifty does seem like a lot. It might be more efficient and practical to combine some of them. If there were twenty states of roughly equal population then we'd be rid of the problem of tiny population states wielding undue influence.
Under the US system of government, it's not a problem, nor is the influence undue.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 09:10 AM   #213
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Under the US system of government, it's not a problem, nor is the influence undue.
Really? You think there are no issues or concerns about having 50 different state governments. How about the simple waste of duplication and overlapping authorities? I thought you were the one preaching for "less government"?
Old 28th September 2019, 10:18 AM   #214
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Really? You think there are no issues or concerns about having 50 different state governments. How about the simple waste of duplication and overlapping authorities? I thought you were the one preaching for "less government"?
I advocate local, limited government over remote, expansionary government. This is not the same as "less government".

Also, every form of government has issues and concerns. However, in the US system of government, giving the states equal say or weighted say in some issues affecting the union, is not an issue or a concern. It's an intentional feature of the design. It is, by definition, entirely fair.
Old 28th September 2019, 10:22 AM   #215
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Uncap the House. It is not working as it was intended to. Make more states.

If lower population states want more political power, the democratic AND market solution would be for them to compete to become places people would want to live. Of course they'd have to stop being authoritarian to do that, and probably actually invest in the public good, so the 'progs' will still end up 'winning' just because they are 'popular' and 'technically correct'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 10:59 AM   #216
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I advocate local, limited government over remote, expansionary government. This is not the same as "less government".

Also, every form of government has issues and concerns. However, in the US system of government, giving the states equal say or weighted say in some issues affecting the union, is not an issue or a concern. It's an intentional feature of the design. It is, by definition, entirely fair.
No it's not. Fair to who? That's entirely subjective. While I would agree there is a purpose to local governments, that doesn't mean there isn't issues
Old 28th September 2019, 08:25 PM   #217
Lurch
Muse

Let's imagine a not so distant future where almost all agriculture is mechanized/roboticisized. The 'flyover' states partly empty out as people move to the coasts for the high tech jobs. Those 'ghost town' states will exert even more disproportionate influence in this scheme where effectively *dirt* is weighted more than population. Suppose 25 states each had a population of only 100,000. A mere 2.5 million folk could hold in thrall 400 million.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #218
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I wish there was some way to discuss this whole Hunter Biden, Ukraine LNG thing without it playing into Trump's idiotic conspiracy narrative, but I'm not sure there is. I'll just preface this by saying that Trump's idiotic caper was a transparent case of corrupt use of public office and nothing I say below should be construed as endorsing his conspiracy theory.

I wish the Democratic primary audience could discuss Hunter Biden. Not because he was part of some bribery scheme, but because he is a great example of the very common practice of the political elite cashing in on their influence.

What the hell is Hunter Biden doing at work that is worth 50k a month? Is he some whizkid LNG engineer, or an expert of Ukrainian law and international relations? Of course not. What he is that makes him so valuable is that he is the son of the VP. Full stop.

I don't think it is necessary to believe that this was part of some explicit quid-quo-pro arrangement, or that Biden ever sold access for this position. It's all part of the background noise of corruption that exists in our government, where big business interests shower money on our politicians. There may never be an explicit strings attached to that money, but it is a fantasy to presume that the money has no influence on these people's decisions.

This whole thing stinks just like the Hillary Clinton wall street "speaking fees" stank. Not illegal, but obviously presents a massive conflict of interest that ought to be disqualifying, but for some reason isn't. For some reason, we as a public are extremely permissive of these blatant conflicts of interest.

The influence of money is just in the air these politicians breathe. They know that if they perform to the benefit of these moneyed interests, exorbitant piles of money await them in the form of speaking fees, lucrative no-show jobs for their family, lobbying jobs, and so on. No quid-quo-pro, just the understanding that big business will take care of their champions.

Trump is incapable of being effective on this issue because his corruption is objectively worse, but I wish we could have this conversation.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th September 2019 at 05:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 07:32 AM   #219
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
What the hell is Hunter Biden doing at work that is worth 50k a month? Is he some whizkid LNG engineer, or an expert of Ukrainian law and international relations? Of course not. What he is that makes him so valuable is that he is the son of the VP. Full stop.
If his presence on the board simply gives the company more credibility with investors, it could easily be worth more than $50k a month. In that sense, it isn't much different than hiring celebrities to do TV pitches. But the problem is that even the appearance of conflict of interest, even if Joe Biden never did anything to benefit the company, should always be avoided so that it never becomes a question. We shouldn't ever have to be wondering about what influence he may have had over his dad.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 30th September 2019 at 07:34 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 07:43 AM   #220
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
If his presence on the board simply gives the company more credibility with investors, it could easily be worth more than $50k a month. In that sense, it isn't much different than hiring celebrities to do TV pitches. But the problem is that even the appearance of conflict of interest, even if Joe Biden never did anything to benefit the company, should always be avoided so that it never becomes a question. We shouldn't ever have to be wondering about what influence he may have had over his dad.
Sure, there's no reason to doubt that conclusion. The son of the VP is a good get, a great prestige piece to trot out whenever they want to look important. Like you say, it's still gross as hell, even if it's not illegal.

It's not even just the Ukraine thing. Hunter Biden's first job was at a big bank that contributed heavily to Biden's campaigns. Biden was the senator for the state of Delaware for many years, which is best known for being a haven for big companies to incorporate to avoid taxes and other pesky regulations. Naturally, these banks and insurance companies love him, and he loves them back.

There's nothing nasty like quid quo pro going on. It's more akin to regulatory capture. These politicians will never be able to stand up against big business because they will never want to do so. They are big business, they are thoroughly enmeshed together. Their kids work at big business, they socialize with big business elites, they have long histories of supporting each other, and so on. The border between government and capital is absolutely porous.

These people are incapable of taking an adversarial stance against these interests.

TLDR: Neoliberalism is cancer.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th September 2019 at 07:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 07:51 AM   #221
rockysmith76
Thinker

The word is Liberal.....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 08:26 AM   #222
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The word is Liberal.....
No.

If I wanted to use the word liberal, I would have done so. This is a personal choice in terminology that I made some years back, and have stuck with ever since. I'm not going to debate my word choice with you here. I just want to make it absolutely clear that it's an intentional choice, and that your "correction" is unnecessary and unwanted. If you want to debate the term, start a thread or send me a PM. In this discussion, "progressive" is what I said, and it's what I meant.
Old 30th September 2019, 08:53 AM   #223
rockysmith76
Thinker

No.

If I wanted to use the word liberal, I would have done so. This is a personal choice in terminology that I made some years back, and have stuck with ever since. I'm not going to debate my word choice with you here. I just want to make it absolutely clear that it's an intentional choice, and that your "correction" is unnecessary and unwanted. If you want to debate the term, start a thread or send me a PM. In this discussion, "progressive" is what I said, and it's what I meant.
right You meant Liberal, and you use all those other lame PC terms as well, showing that you are and meant to be.... a liberal. You're welcome.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 08:54 AM   #224
Belz...
Fiend God

Nope.... the Hillary campaign screwed the Bernie Campaign and put herself in as the nominee for the Dems, it was all her and all on her. That is straight up classic denial. Her baggage bagged her campaign, not bernie.
It's amazing to get so much wrong in so short a post.

Hillary didn't screw Bernie in any way. The DNC prefered her as a candidate, sure. But the real issue is that Sanders didn't get enough votes to overturn that preference. Any other claim is Sanders-biased conspiracy theory.

As for your last comment, it's true that Hillary's campaign was weak and unenthousiastic, but Bernie did much to damage it: first, by playging into Republican talking points about her, and second, Sanders refusing to give up his candidacy well after the point where his loss was obvious.

So in yet another case of projection, the denial is yours.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 09:01 AM   #225
Belz...
Fiend God

Another flaw of the two party system, you assume because I dislike Hillary I must be a Trump guy, you would be wrong
I don't know. You keep refering to Trump as Trump and Clinton as "hag", despite you claiming that she would've been better than he is.

the same FBI that manufactures Terror plots to foil them and then pat themselves on the back.
You really need to stop visiting conspiracy theory sites.

Quote:
Source: any one of a number of Techdirt articles.
Idem.

If you really believe that she put a server in the restroom, then you'll believe any stupid story.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 09:01 AM   #226
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

right You meant Liberal, and you use all those other lame PC terms as well, showing that you are and meant to be.... a liberal. You're welcome.
Let me say this about that:

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
right
Wrong.
You meant Liberal,
Wrong.
and you use all those other lame PC terms as well,
Wrong.
showing that you are and meant to be.... a liberal.
Wrong.
You're welcome.
Wrong.

Literally every clause in your post is wrong.

Last edited by theprestige; 30th September 2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:04 AM   #227
Belz...
Fiend God

right You meant Liberal,
The two words are not interchangeable any more than Conservative and Alt-Right are.

Old 30th September 2019, 09:06 AM   #228
rockysmith76
Thinker

The two words are not interchangeable any more than Conservative and Alt-Right are.
Yes they are, Liberal is the one that got dirty so it was repackage into a less honest version, but it remains, liberal.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:06 AM   #229
Belz...
Fiend God

Literally every clause in your post is wrong.

Old 30th September 2019, 09:08 AM   #230
rockysmith76
Thinker

Hillary didn't screw Bernie in any way. The DNC prefered her as a candidate, sure. But the real issue is that Sanders didn't get enough votes to overturn that preference. Any other claim is Sanders-biased conspiracy theory.

As for your last comment, it's true that Hillary's campaign was weak and unenthousiastic, but Bernie did much to damage it: first, by playging into Republican talking points about her, and second, Sanders refusing to give up his candidacy well after the point where his loss was obvious.

So in yet another case of projection, the denial is yours.
By which you mean Sanders had a campaign that pushed for change, and many wanted that change and Hag was in the way. The DNC is in it's own way. But hey so are the Republicans.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:09 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes they are
They have absolutely nothing to do with one another. You simply don't know what those words mean.

You are clearly entirely in the right-wing bubble, and can't see the world outside of it. If you were a better person you'd ask in what way you're wrong.

On the odd chance that you're not completely lost to reason, look up progressivism and liberalism. You might want to look up conservatism as well, just to be on the safe side.

Old 30th September 2019, 09:10 AM   #232
Belz...
Fiend God

By which you mean Sanders had a campaign that pushed for change, and many wanted that change and Hag was in the way.
This tendency of yours to put words into other people's mouths is childish and unproductive. I suggest you select a different course of action.

Old 30th September 2019, 09:11 AM   #233
rockysmith76
Thinker

I don't know. You keep refering to Trump as Trump and Clinton as "hag", despite you claiming that she would've been better than he is.
Minimally better.

Quote:
If you really believe that she put a server in the restroom, then you'll believe any stupid story.
You are the sad devotee to the Clinton machine, she had no business having her toilet server and she screwed Bernie. Repetition of your nonsense doesnt make you right it makes you repetitive, Toilet Server Denier.

Old 30th September 2019, 09:12 AM   #234
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

*blinks*

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #235
rockysmith76
Thinker

They have absolutely nothing to do with one another. You simply don't know what those words mean.

You are clearly entirely in the right-wing bubble, and can't see the world outside of it. If you were a better person you'd ask in what way you're wrong.

On the odd chance that you're not completely lost to reason, look up progressivism and liberalism. You might want to look up conservatism as well, just to be on the safe side.
How sad the Clinton haze has you so blinded, but Liberal is liberal and you are wrong.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:14 AM   #236
rockysmith76
Thinker

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
*blinks*
Eye drops might help that nervous tick you have.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:14 AM   #237
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm reminded of how when people get hardcore into their tribal bubbles that their preferred term for "The other" just becomes an all purpose, universally applied insult devoid of any context.

I've seem Feminists become so self-feeding that they used the term "Patriarchy" in a way that is functionally distinguishable from "Literally anything negative that occurs in a society." It's the way Fundamentalist describe every ill in the world as "Godless."

There's people here for whom "Liberalism" is what makes it hurt when they stub their toe and makes the crops die in a bad growing season.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th September 2019 at 09:16 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #238
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes they are, Liberal is the one that got dirty so it was repackage into a less honest version, but it remains, liberal.
Welcome to the forum, rockysmith76! It looks like we haven't been properly introduced yet. I apologize for the oversight. Stick around a bit. I think you'll soon discover that accusing me of cleaning up dirty terms for progressives will just embarrass you. Give it a month, you'll be looking back at this post and thinking, "that didn't age well!"
Old 30th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #239
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

tic*

---

But actually he's just flabbergasted at how completely out of touch you are on this subject. You really need to spend a little time familiarizing yourself with my body of work, before you go off on these Quixotic adventures.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #240
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Lurking before posting might keep your feet out of your mouth.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics