ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , impeachment , rudy giuliani , Trump controversies

Old 2nd October 2019, 03:50 PM   #241
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Okay, as I read the things, but IANAL, the obvious crime(s) is that Trump solicited a bribe from the President of Ukraine as well as illegally soliciting aid from a foreign nation in a US election. That last one being the kind of collusion Trump has been denying he did with Russia.

Am I too far from the mark on this?
No, and bribery is a listed reason for impeachment, alongside treason, separate and apart from "high crimes and misdemeanors."

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:22 PM   #242
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't been able to keep up with every development. What bribe did President Trump solicit?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:33 PM   #243
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I haven't been able to keep up with every development. What bribe did President Trump solicit?
"Bribery" was the wrong term. It was extortion. "Nice little military aid you've got there. Shame if something happened to it."
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:37 PM   #244
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I was referring to the “favor” Trump was asking for as also being a bribe, apart from any other reasons it was illegal. A “if you rub my back, I’ll rub yours” situation.
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:38 PM   #245
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Bribery" was the wrong term. It was extortion. "Nice little military aid you've got there. Shame if something happened to it."
Thank you for the correction.

I haven't been able to keep up with every development. What extortion did President Trump threaten?

Or does your "quote" actually quote the threat in question?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:39 PM   #246
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Didn’t Trump provide extra money to the Ukraine above what was allocated by Congress? The quid for Ukraine’s promised quo?
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:39 PM   #247
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was referring to the “favor” Trump was asking for as also being a bribe, apart from any other reasons it was illegal. A “if you rub my back, I’ll rub yours” situation.
What exactly was the bribe?

I'm expecting some evidence of personal profit for Donald Trump. You know: a bribe.

What's the evidence?
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:41 PM   #248
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm expecting some evidence of personal profit for Donald Trump. You know: a bribe.

What's the evidence?
Political dirt on Biden. Bribes don’t have to be money.

The evidence is the transcript provided by the White House and, arguably, Trump’s documented actions concerning Ukraine.

Last edited by Upchurch; 2nd October 2019 at 04:42 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:28 PM   #249
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, I don't know why people are trying to make this so complicated (Well I know why the Republicans want it to be, but non-republications, it baffles me)

It is very simple.

The President used his office to solicit help from a foreign Government to damage the person who was his main political rival at the time.

It doesn't matter that he was asking it as a favour in return for selling Javelin missile, or holding back military funding, these are just aggravating circumstances.

I thought one commentator was very good in his commentary when he noted that "If you strongly believe that America needs to be protected by a wall to stop foreign intrusion, then surely you should believe equally, if not more strongly, that our Sovereign Elections should also be protected from Foreign Intrusion."

I don't think it should matter which party you support, having the leader of your country try and take out a political rival by asking a foreign leader to start a criminal investigation into them should turn your stomach and have you calling for that leader's head. This is the sort of BS that is found in totalitarian leaning third world countries run by strongmen dictators. It is not the sort of thing that should be occurring in leading western democracies, and if you refuse to acknowledge it, or condemn it, then you are just as complicit in the destruction of your democracy as the leader that did it.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:29 PM   #250
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Witness Intimidation
must go on the list
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:04 AM   #251
This is The End

What's the evidence?

No offense, but if you literally have not watched any news in over a week, which you clearly haven't, then why are you in a discussion thread about news?

He asked a foreign head of state to investigate another candidate for President. That in and of itself is extremely illegal. Full stop. He withheld military aid as in incentive for the foreign head of state to cooperate, it was not coincidence. He soon realized that (made to realize, of course), oh crap, that was a bad idea and granted the aid.
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:16 AM   #252
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Political dirt on Biden. Bribes don’t have to be money.

The evidence is the transcript provided by the White House and, arguably, Trump’s documented actions concerning Ukraine.
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
No offense, but if you literally have not watched any news in over a week, which you clearly haven't, then why are you in a discussion thread about news?

He asked a foreign head of state to investigate another candidate for President. That in and of itself is extremely illegal. Full stop. He withheld military aid as in incentive for the foreign head of state to cooperate, it was not coincidence. He soon realized that (made to realize, of course), oh crap, that was a bad idea and granted the aid.
Please don't bite at the fringe reset.

"Oh, this scandal that's been going on for a week and generating discussions I've been actively participating in? I don't know aaanything about it, can you explain it to me from the beginning again, please?"
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:27 AM   #253
Belz...
Fiend God

Thank you for the correction.

I haven't been able to keep up with every development. What extortion did President Trump threaten?
So you haven't heard of this scandal AT ALL, then?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:12 AM   #254
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The Dems are saying they're not going to allow the proceedings to be stalled by stonewalling. The stonewalling will be considered as a charge of obstruction.

OK good. But why the concern over delays? Wouldn't these things be fast-tracked by the Supremes, ala Florida Bush v Gore?
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:41 AM   #255
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The Dems are saying they're not going to allow the proceedings to be stalled by stonewalling. The stonewalling will be considered as a charge of obstruction.

OK good. But why the concern over delays? Wouldn't these things be fast-tracked by the Supremes, ala Florida Bush v Gore?
I think its a case where the supreme court can't be called on to rule on everything. And this sort of investigation is going to rely a lot on lots of subpoenas collecting evidence from multiple sources. If the Trump administration is uncooperative, each individual subpoena would probably have to go through the courts, then appeals, etc.

And even if you get the supreme court to rule that this stuff must be fast tracked, there is no guarantee the Trump administration would cooperate.

"Oh, the Supreme court said we must turn things over quickly. But we didn't think they meant turn over everything." (or something like that).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:11 AM   #256
This is The End

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Please don't bite at the fringe reset.

"Oh, this scandal that's been going on for a week and generating discussions I've been actively participating in? I don't know aaanything about it, can you explain it to me from the beginning again, please?"

True, but there may be other people viewing this thread that legitimately would listen to facts.

Originally Posted by 52 U.S. Code § 30121
It shall be unlawful for a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election

The "thing of value" is dirt on a political opponent. "Unlawful" means "illegal".

Trump begging the foreign head of state to investigate his political opponent is illegal in and of itself. Full stop.

The fact that Trump added a wink-wink bribe (the withholding of military aid during the illegal request) is not required in any way what-so-ever in this being illegal. Not. At. All. No matter how much the Republicans and Trump try and make it sound like it is required. (Though it is icing on the cake!!)
Old 4th October 2019, 10:16 AM   #257
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nation states engage in this kind of quid pro quo all the time, though. It's not actually unethical to predicate a friendly relationship, with diplomatic, economic, and military benefits, in part on mutual cooperation on issues of interest to one party or the other.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:18 AM   #258
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nation states engage in this kind of quid pro quo all the time, though. It's not actually unethical to predicate a friendly relationship, with diplomatic, economic, and military benefits, in part on mutual cooperation on issues of interest to one party or the other.
No they don't. Quit trying to normalize atrocious behavior.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:27 AM   #259
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The real question is which crimes to leave off.

Trump craps on America's face and tries to make it sound like he's doing us a favor. Sadly, his supporters likes the taste.

There is his obvious conspiracy with Russia. His wanton infringements of the Emoluments Clause. There is abuses of power too many to list. Such as his stonewalling and instructions of staff not to cooperate with the House. His not so subtle threats towards the whistleblower His extortion of Ukraine and his requests that not one, but two foreign countries investigate his political opposition.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:28 AM   #260
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah if you somehow overlook the circumstances that starkly differentiate Trump's obviously corrupt shenanigans.

It's not unlike defending Giuliani... What's the big deal with traveling to Ukraine? There's nothing wrong with that. Is there a named fallacy for this sort of filtering out the essence?
Old 4th October 2019, 11:32 AM   #261
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

It's not unlike defending Giuliani... What's the big deal with traveling to Ukraine? There's nothing wrong with that. Is there a named fallacy for this sort of filtering out the essence?
Moving the goalposts?
Old 4th October 2019, 11:58 AM   #262
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Nation states act in ways that benefit each nation state. When one of the representatives of the nation states is asking for personal favors, that is where it becomes a problem.

Trump asking Ukraine for assistance on issues important to the US: Fine.
Trump asking Ukraine for assistance on his personal problems: Not fine.

If the Biden issue, which has been shown not to actually exist, was important at all to the US it would have been dealt with by now and through the proper channels. Because it was not important to the US Trump asked for help as a personal favor to help him personally, not the to help the US. Just like if Trump had asked the Ukraine to help with legal issues relating to one of his company's developments.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 01:07 PM   #263
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Moving the goalposts?
Sort of but not quite. The goalpost wasn't situated in the playing field from the get-go.
Old 4th October 2019, 01:30 PM   #264
Cainkane1
Philosopher

He could at least be censored for appearing orange on TV. Other than that he's a darn good President.
Old 4th October 2019, 03:15 PM   #265
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Nation states act in ways that benefit each nation state. When one of the representatives of the nation states is asking for personal favors, that is where it becomes a problem.

Sending his personal lawyer hints at that possibility.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:24 PM   #266
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

If the Biden issue, which has been shown not to actually exist, was important at all to the US it would have been dealt with by now and through the proper channels. Because it was not important to the US Trump asked for help as a personal favor to help him personally, not the to help the US. Just like if Trump had asked the Ukraine to help with legal issues relating to one of his company's developments.
This.

We have proper channels established, but those would have caught this blatant abuse of power. So they were not used.

There is no reason to pretend there is a reasonable argument for Trump's actions being anything close to either normal or acceptable. There is no reason to pretend that it is reasonable to investigate Joe Biden on this.

Stop pretending Trump defenders are engaged in good faith, no matter how much some of them would like to be, they are not.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:30 PM   #267
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He could at least be censored for appearing orange on TV. Other than that he's a darn good President.
You and I have different definition of what constitutes a good President.
I don't consider spending all day watching Fox and Friends and tweeting "good".

I don't consider encouraging white supremacists like he did with the marches in Charlotte "good".
I don't consider trying to take health care away from 12 million people "good".

I don't consider destroying free trade with useless tariffs "good".

I don't consider consider weakening environmental protections "good".

I don't consider extorting allies so they will go after political rivals "good".

I don't consider putting children in cages "good".
Old 4th October 2019, 04:10 PM   #268
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
He's done and said horrible things since day one without his disciples caring, but you have a point.

Though yes, as another poster said, the country is in a sorry state if the reason why "I'm witholding my government's money unless you dig up something about my political opponent" is terrible has to be explained to the masses. That's like banana republic-level corruption, or something I expect out of some Sub-Saharan failed state.
The problem really is that some people cannot distinguish between legal and moral, or more importantly, immoral and illegal.

The entire idea seems to be that if it is technically not illegal, the morals matter not a whit. That is, when one thinks about it really, that horrible attitude has historically given rise to things humanity would be better off not repeating.

Alas we appear doomed to repeat history, and not a nice history.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 04:41 PM   #269
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
The problem really is that some people cannot distinguish between legal and moral, or more importantly, immoral and illegal.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 05:25 PM   #270
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The democrats need to play this over and over, respond to Graham's every other tweet with this til the end of this year.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:21 PM   #271
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

As things stand now....
  1. making false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States in written answers for the office of Special Counsel's investigation into Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 United States presidential elections;
  2. interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the office of Special Counsel's investigation into Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 United States presidential elections;
  3. making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had exonerated him with respect to the office of Special Counsel's investigation into Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 United States presidential elections;
  4. withholding relevant and material evidence or information from lawfully authorized investigative officers and and Congressional Committees;
  5. endeavouring to misuse the Department of State, an agency of the United States, for personal political gain;
  6. withholding both funds allocated to Ukraine and meetings at the White House, for the unlawful purpose of gaining an investigation into his political rivals;
  7. soliciting the aid of foreign Governments to interfere for the benefit of his personal re-election campaign in the United States 2020 Presidential Elections;

More might be coming re: Taxes and Emoluments

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th October 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:36 AM   #272
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

For those trumpers waiting for the impeachment backlash to give Trump some possibility of being re-elected, a status update from the latest Washington Post poll:

Quote:
The findings indicate that public opinion has shifted quickly against the president and in favor of impeachment proceedings in recent weeks as information has been released about Trump’s efforts to pressure Ukrainian government officials to undertake an investigation into former vice president Joe Biden, a potential 2020 campaign rival, and Biden’s son Hunter.

Previous Post-Schar School or Post-ABC News polls taken at different points throughout this year found majorities of Americans opposing the start of an impeachment proceeding, with 37 percent to 41 percent saying they favored such a step. The recent revelations appear to have prompted many Americans to rethink their position

The poll finds that, by a margin of 58 percent to 38 percent, Americans say the House was correct to undertake the inquiry. Among all adults, 49 percent say the House should take the more significant step to impeach the president and call for his removal from office. Another 6 percent say they back the start of the inquiry but do not favor removing Trump from office, with the remainder undecided about the president’s ultimate fate. The results among registered voters are almost identical.

But don't worry too much. I'm sure the latest display of great and unmatched wisdom by your stable genius will have everyone forgetting about impeachment in a few days.

ETA: Another indicator that everything is just fine, no reason to panic:

Quote:
More than 8 in 10 Democrats endorse the inquiry and nearly 8 in 10 favor a vote to recommend that Trump be removed from office. Among Republicans, roughly 7 in 10 do not support the inquiry but almost 3 in 10 do, and almost one-fifth of Republicans say they favor a vote recommending his removal. Among the critical voting bloc of independents, support for the impeachment inquiry hits 57 percent, with 49 percent saying the House should vote to remove Trump from office.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 8th October 2019 at 03:46 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics