ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th September 2019, 02:50 PM   #81
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
When it rains, it pours, then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._617_Squadron_RAF
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:51 PM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW I keep on reading oen reason why Trump wants so badly to be reelected is he is going to face huge legal problems once he leaves the office of President. So it might not just be his huge ego at work.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:52 PM   #83
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
God, I wish Peter Jackson would make that Dambusters movie he has been talking about for about Ten years now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:54 PM   #84
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Like someone said, with most Presidents, rather then formally invoking 25th a group of the party senior leaders would tell him in a private meeting it's time to go before he drags the party down with him.
Problem is Trump does not care about the GOP except as an instrument of his will. He is a pure narcissist.
ANd, anyway, the 25th was not designed to remove a President for corruption or wrongdoing,..that is what Impeachment is for..... but because he is unable to perform the duties of president due to physical or mental reasons.
My point was that if (when) Trump becomes a liability, rather than risk an impeachment, and all the dirt that will come out on lots of other Republicans, they could probably get him out of the way of cross examination via the 25th and get Pence as a Gerald Ford.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:56 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping some Republican comes out and calls it what it is; abuse of office past the point of acceptability by anyone. Maybe if one person has the courage to do so, others will follow and the rats will desert a sinking ship. But I rather doubt it from what I've seen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:12 PM   #86
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In another era a couple of senior Republicans would call upon Trump in his study, have a polite but frank chat about the obligations of a gentleman, and then leave him alone with a revolver.

However that would be unthinkable now; of all the things Trump's been accused of in his long and dreadful life, being a gentleman isn't one of them.
Just leave him with the revolver and skip the chat. Maybe say something about how Obama said that Trump couldn't safely handle a loaded gun and leave the room.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:12 PM   #87
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping some Republican comes out and calls it what it is; abuse of office past the point of acceptability by anyone. Maybe if one person has the courage to do so, others will follow and the rats will desert a sinking ship. But I rather doubt it from what I've seen.
I'm sure Susan Collins will have concerns.

I've already heard one Rep representative who expressed his concerns, and said, hey Trump, you shouldn't have done that. He basically had the same response I have when my kids don't put their milk cup back in the fridge after dinner.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:18 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm sure Susan Collins will have concerns.

I've already heard one Rep representative who expressed his concerns, and said, hey Trump, you shouldn't have done that. He basically had the same response I have when my kids don't put their milk cup back in the fridge after dinner.
I'm sure she does, as well as many other GOP Congress members. However, stating so in public seems to take some courage and ethics they are lacking so far.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:25 PM   #89
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think that when he finally feels the **** hitting the fan, he's going to resign -- it's the only way in his mind to save face. "You didn't fire me! I quit!"
Old 26th September 2019, 03:27 PM   #90
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think that when he finally feels the **** hitting the fan, he's going to resign -- it's the only way in his mind to save face. "You didn't fire me! I quit!"
Trump is hard to predict, but I don't see it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:29 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Trump is hard to predict, but I don't see it.
Neither do I.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:41 PM   #92
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Unless he is afraid of the huge legal problems that are almost certain to hit him once he loses the immunity of the office of the President.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:43 PM   #93
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Neither do I.
Agreed, because of the legal problems once he leaves office.
Only way this happens is if a deal is reached for congress to vote him some kind of immunity if he quits.
And we can have a fun debate about this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:55 PM   #94
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

God, I wish Peter Jackson would make that Dambusters movie he has been talking about for about Ten years now.
Why? there's a perfectly good Dambusters movie that will be more true to the events, ethos and spirit of the time than anything Peter Jackson could spew up.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:57 PM   #95
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Today, he said, "There should be a way of stopping (impeachment) -- maybe legally, through the courts." Maybe legally, but he's exploring his options.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:06 PM   #96
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Today, he said, "There should be a way of stopping (impeachment) -- maybe legally, through the courts." Maybe legally, but he's exploring his options.
He really doesn't understand how the government works.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:15 PM   #97
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, because of the legal problems once he leaves office.
Only way this happens is if a deal is reached for congress to vote him some kind of immunity if he quits.
And we can have a fun debate about this.
He can resign on the condition that Pence pardons him. I don't see why this is an issue.

Doesn't prevent state or local charges, but neither can Congress, far as I know.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:24 PM   #98
Armitage72
Illuminator

Just leave him with the revolver and skip the chat. Maybe say something about how Obama said that Trump couldn't safely handle a loaded gun and leave the room.

I was considering posting thoughts about Trump choosing Nixon's route. More specifically, the Marvel Comics version of Nixon.

Quote:
Rather than face capture, Number One unmasked himself, then committed suicide. The leader of the Secret Empire was revealed to be a very high U.S. government official attempting a coup d'état. Although his identity and face are never revealed to the reader, it is strongly implied in the dialogue that Number One was the President of the United States. The government covered up his guilt and suicide with the help of a double. This led to Captain America giving up his role for a while and taking on the role of Nomad. The story was first published in 1973, when the sitting president was Richard Nixon, embroiled at the time in the Watergate scandal. Writer Steve Englehart specifically intended this issue as a metaphor of the Watergate case and the Nixon era.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:31 PM   #99
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Like someone said, with most Presidents, rather then formally invoking 25th a group of the party senior leaders would tell him in a private meeting it's time to go before he drags the party down with him.
Problem is Trump does not care about the GOP except as an instrument of his will. He is a pure narcissist.
ANd, anyway, the 25th was not designed to remove a President for corruption or wrongdoing,..that is what Impeachment is for..... but because he is unable to perform the duties of president due to physical or mental reasons.

So.

You're saying that either option would apply equally well?

After all, there is little if any question that he is corrupt enough to merit impeachment.

And virtually no question at all that he is too unstable to be trusted with the responsibilities of the office of the POTUS.

Either way works for me, as long as he gets gone.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:48 PM   #100
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Maybe send Don Jr. and Eric in and tell them that blob sitting behind the desk is an endangered rhino.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:51 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Why? there's a perfectly good Dambusters movie that will be more true to the events, ethos and spirit of the time than anything Peter Jackson could spew up.
You don't mess with perfection.

Old 26th September 2019, 04:58 PM   #102
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
So.

You're saying that either option would apply equally well?

After all, there is little if any question that he is corrupt enough to merit impeachment.

And virtually no question at all that he is too unstable to be trusted with the responsibilities of the office of the POTUS.

Either way works for me, as long as he gets gone.
Nope...though I want Trump out of the White House very,very, badly..I was just pointing out that the 25th Amendment is not applicable where criminal or corruption is involved. It is in case the President is unable to perform his duties for health reasons, physical or mental.
If a president were to have a heart attack and go into a coma, that might last for weeks, that is where the 25th would come into play. It legally does not apply if the issue is corruption and criminal behavior. That is where Impeahcment comes in.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 05:10 PM   #103
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Nope...though I want Trump out of the White House very,very, badly..I was just pointing out that the 25th Amendment is not applicable where criminal or corruption is involved. It is in case the President is unable to perform his duties for health reasons, physical or mental.
If a president were to have a heart attack and go into a coma, that might last for weeks, that is where the 25th would come into play. It legally does not apply if the issue is corruption and criminal behavior. That is where Impeahcment comes in.
Melania could hide his condition and govern in his stead a la Edith Wilson.

OK...I had a hard time typing that while laughing hysterically. As if Melania could do anything other than design the WH Christmas decorations.
Old 26th September 2019, 05:43 PM   #104
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's version would be the Dum Blusters. Although he'd probably approve of the name of the original squadron leader's dog.
Old 26th September 2019, 05:48 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

OK...I had a hard time typing that while laughing hysterically. As if Melania could do anything other than design the WH Christmas decorations.
She can probably do darn near anything more competently than Don.
Old 26th September 2019, 05:53 PM   #106
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Every movie is better with CGI surely. All them pretty and exciting pitchers and no real need for boring chatter.

Get with the times.

(I confess I haven't watched Dam Busters yet. It's on my list.)
Old 26th September 2019, 05:56 PM   #107
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
She can probably do darn near anything more competently than Don.
Nah, just as bad. Remember the "I really don't care" jacket?
Old 26th September 2019, 05:59 PM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think you are really overrating Melania's abilities.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 06:01 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Every movie is better with CGI surely. All them pretty and exciting pitchers and no real need for boring chatter.

Get with the times.

(I confess I haven't watched Dam Busters yet. It's on my list.)
I grew up in a military family. My father was a USAF squadron leader. I think there wasn't a military film made that we didn't watch several times. His favorite: 633 Squadron.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:19 PM   #110
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I predict that Trump will start blasting every Republican who doesn't straight out support him publicly.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:21 PM   #111
Tero
Graduate Poster

When will Trump's execution of the whistleblower take place? Will there be tickets like for the rallies?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:27 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I predict that Trump will start blasting every Republican who doesn't straight out support him publicly.
Whixh will put those in swing districts and state in one hell of a bad position.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:32 PM   #113
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Cool

Wait until Donny finds out that even Hannity thinks this is "really bad".

“It’s Management Bedlam”: Madness at Fox News as Trump Faces Impeachment

Originally Posted by Vanity Fair
In public, Donald Trump’s allies are putting on a brave face, repeating talking points, mostly staying on message. But in private, there are few who believe that the allegations leveled by an intelligence agency whistle-blower that Trump abused American foreign policy to leverage Ukraine into investigating Joe Biden won’t result in considerable damage—if not the complete unraveling of his presidency. “I don’t see how they don’t impeach,” a former West Wing official told me today. “This could unwind very fast, and I mean in days,” a prominent Republican said.

Trump’s final bulwark is liable to be his first one: Fox News. Fox controls the flow of information—what facts are, whether allegations are to be believed—to huge swaths of his base. And Republican senators, who will ultimately decide whether the president remains in office, are in turn exquisitely sensitive to the opinions of Trump’s base. But even before the whistle-blower’s revelations, Fox was having something of a Trump identity crisis, and that bulwark has been wavering. In recent weeks, Trump has bashed Fox News on Twitter, taking particular issue lately with its polling, which, like other reputable polls, has shown the president under significant water. Meanwhile, Trump’s biggest booster seems to be having doubts of his own. This morning, Sean Hannity told friends the whistle-blower’s allegations are “really bad,” a person briefed on Hannity’s conversations told me. (Hannity did not respond to a request for comment). And according to four sources, Fox Corp CEO Lachlan Murdoch is already thinking about how to position the network for a post-Trump future. A person close to Lachlan told me that Fox News has been the highest rated cable network for seventeen years, and “the success has never depended on any one administration.” (A Fox Corp spokesperson declined to comment.)

Looking forward to Trump declaring that Fox is fake news too.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:36 PM   #114
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
When will Trump's execution of the whistleblower take place? Will there be tickets like for the rallies?
We're reaching the point where I'd expect the execution might be televised and Donnie himself would pull the switch. Or would he use a bat like DeNiro in "The Untouchables?"

Make America Great Again.

(You imagine someone waking up who's been in a coma since 2014 and reading all of this?)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeNiro-Capone-Donnie.jpg (24.7 KB, 152 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:56 PM   #115
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I predict he'll try to throw Giuliani under the bus and Giuliani will sing like a bird, possibly by mistaking damning evidence against them both as exonerating evidence for him personally. I judge Giuliani's grasp of reality to be about on level with Trump's loyalty to his underlings. It's not a recipe for success.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:08 PM   #116
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

No damages so long as he remains anonymous, I reckon.
Not much chance of that after the NYT reveal.

In another era a couple of senior Republicans would call upon Trump in his study, have a polite but frank chat about the obligations of a gentleman, and then leave him alone with a revolver.

However that would be unthinkable now; of all the things Trump's been accused of in his long and dreadful life, being a gentleman isn't one of them.
Instead, we've got Trump pretty much talking about how he wants to execute this whistleblower.

I predict he'll try to throw Giuliani under the bus and Giuliani will sing like a bird, possibly by mistaking damning evidence against them both as exonerating evidence for him personally. I judge Giuliani's grasp of reality to be about on level with Trump's loyalty to his underlings. It's not a recipe for success.
Mmm.

In screaming rant, Rudy tells reporter, 'These morons — when this is over, I will be the hero'

In other news...

New polling shows that only Republicans don't want a national popular vote

Quote:
A Civiqs survey of 1,548 registered U.S. voters, held Sept. 21-24, asked respondents if they support the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. More than half—52%—said they would support a “one person, one vote” initiative such as the NPVIC. Breaking down the numbers, the division is strictly along party lines: 89% of Democratic voters supported a popular vote initiative, while 78% of Republicans opposed the idea.
Not really a surprise.

Top immigration attorney calls policy forcing asylum-seekers to Mexico a 'dangerous, chaotic mess'

I'll add cruel and evil on top of that.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:33 PM   #117
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Wait until Donny finds out that even Hannity thinks this is "really bad".

“It’s Management Bedlam”: Madness at Fox News as Trump Faces Impeachment

Looking forward to Trump declaring that Fox is fake news too.
Yeah, I saw that story too. I worry that it sounds too good to be true. If Fox News pivots on Trump, I could see the republican base pivoting, and with Paul Ryan (Who is on the Fox News board and apparently embarrassed by Trump), they have someone who might still have enough influence to convince Senate Republicans that they're better off not protecting Trump.

And yes, I realize that's a lot of if's, so I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by rdaneel; 26th September 2019 at 09:37 PM.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 10:53 PM   #118
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

His fantasies of running things from his Imperial Palace are getting more weird. Last week (actually just a couple of days ago, I think) he said that if a Republican had done or said what Biden has done or said, they'd get the electric chair. The implication is obvious. He's fantasizing about executing his opponents.

His latest is that anyone who gave information to the whistleblower is no better than a spy and... wink wink nudge nudge... we all know how spies were handled in the past.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/26/p...ent/index.html

Wait'll he finds out what he did was treasonous, as was Giuliani's participation, and Barr's. Will they have a three way suicide pact like that episode of Gotham where they all stood in a circle? Can we get Mnuchin and Pompeo and DeVoss in there?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 10:53 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

BTW I keep on reading oen reason why Trump wants so badly to be reelected is he is going to face huge legal problems once he leaves the office of President. So it might not just be his huge ego at work.
It's his ego. He started his reelection campaign the day after his inauguration. Now part of that was almost certainly Trump manipulating campaign donations. He has a long history of manipulating funds in his own charity.

But there was probably also his obsession to outdo Obama who was reelected that played on Trump's mind.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:56 PM   #120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So far, Trump has not shown the intelligence to know when to get out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics