ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 10th October 2019, 12:17 PM   #1641
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The President of the Ukraine just stated again, in the strongest of language, that President Trump applied no pressure and did absolutely nothing wrong. He used the strongest language possible. That should end this Democrat Scam, but it wonít, because the Dems & Media are FIXED!
This is interesting. Although Zelensky isn't saying he felt threatened during the call, the transcript released by the White House shows that Trump did issue the threats. Zelensky perhaps has different feelings about the call than we do here in the west, or his memories of it are different, or he's trying to pacify an unstable and unreliable Trump in the hopes Trump doesn't try to pull the rug out from under him again.

I certainly don't envy his position. On one side of him is Putin, who's smart, cunning, ruthless, and has his eyes on Ukrainian territory and assets, and on the other side is the USA, an ally but one currently with leader who can't be trusted.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 12:40 PM   #1642
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

NATO Ally threatens humanitarian crisis on other NATO allies.

Channel 4 News report President Erdogan threatens to send millions of Syrian refugees to Europe if the EU labels Turkey’s military incursion as an occupation.

“We will open the gates and send 3.6 million refugees your way."
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 12:41 PM   #1643
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Thank you to @OANN One America News for your fair coverage and brilliant reporting. It is appreciated by many people trying so hard to find a new, consistent and powerful VOICE! See you tonight at the Big Rally in Minneapolis.
Too bad Fox, you've been dumped for a younger model.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:43 PM   #1644
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Too bad Fox, you've been dumped for a younger model.
Ha!
Old 10th October 2019, 12:53 PM   #1645
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
This is interesting. Although Zelensky isn't saying he felt threatened during the call, the transcript released by the White House shows that Trump did issue the threats. Zelensky perhaps has different feelings about the call than we do here in the west, or his memories of it are different, or he's trying to pacify an unstable and unreliable Trump in the hopes Trump doesn't try to pull the rug out from under him again.

I certainly don't envy his position. On one side of him is Putin, who's smart, cunning, ruthless, and has his eyes on Ukrainian territory and assets, and on the other side is the USA, an ally but one currently with leader who can't be trusted.
We can and should dismiss what Zelenski says. Taking him at face value is not unlike taking a hostage who is reading a prepared statement at face value.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:11 PM   #1646
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's possible that there's a bit of a generational issue at work here, now that I think about it. In the mid `90s I took a History of Japan course as an elective in college. My mother, who was born in 1945, responded "Why do you want to study them? They attacked us!" More than 50 years after an attack that happened before she was born, the war was still the primary driver of her attitude in this area.
I have relatives who fought in the Pacific Theater, so I understand the attitude.

But what I donít get is an adversity to simply studying their history. Itís not like one is doing business with them. The Japanese donít gain anything by an American taking a college history course.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:18 PM   #1647
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Sure, they are popular when they arrest and eliminate political opposition like Putin did.
I am not saying he isn't a violent dictator, but the idea that dictators are universally reviled in their own nation is one that gets in the way of understanding dictatorships.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 01:20 PM   #1648
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hey, Hitler was pretty damn popular too...until he begun to lose the war.
People still give Stalin credit for winning WWII.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 01:23 PM   #1649
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I have relatives who fought in the Pacific Theater, so I understand the attitude.

But what I donít get is an adversity to simply studying their history. Itís not like one is doing business with them. The Japanese donít gain anything by an American taking a college history course.
And then there is the things like my great uncle who 50 years after taking a katana home as a trophy made sure it got back to the family who owned it for long before the war.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:33 PM   #1650
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
2/3 of both houses is a heavy lift. And 2/3 of the state assemblies is an even heavier lift, especially in a world where Trump wins the electoral college. Doesn't sound feasible.
There's an alternative way. If one could get enough states to pass a bill saying their electoral votes go to the national popular vote winner, then the Electoral College would be moot.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:16 PM   #1651
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Anthony Scaramucci tweeted

@Scaramucci
He is finished. He wants to wreak more havoc though before he leaves. @realDonaldTrump has bills to pay. https://twitter.com/joenbc/status/1182074269901185024

Mr Scaramucci should start a "Victims of Trump" support group.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 10th October 2019 at 02:30 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:53 PM   #1652
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Two Giuliani associates arrested at Dulles airport with one way tickets out of the country three hours after a meeting with Rudy.
Speaks for itself, really.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:16 PM   #1653
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

It's personal. I had a co-worker who would never talk to a Japanese-American we worked with. I asked around, and it turned out his attitude was: "I was a tail gunner. His people were shooting at me."
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:04 PM   #1654
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Two Giuliani associates arrested at Dulles airport with one way tickets out of the country three hours after a meeting with Rudy.
Giuliani under the bus by tomorrow afternoon.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:04 PM   #1655
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
It's personal. I had a co-worker who would never talk to a Japanese-American we worked with. I asked around, and it turned out his attitude was: "I was a tail gunner. His people were shooting at me."
It's unfortunate that your co-worker wasn't fired for that ********.

When I was a kid, there was a neighbor kid whose father had been in Vietnam and this neighbor kid would drop Asian racial epithets all the time, claiming that he was entitled because of his dad's experience. My dad was in the Korean War (about 20 years older than other dads of my classmates), yet somehow never once made me think that it was okay to use racial epithets or otherwise treat people badly based on where they came from or the color of their skin. He certainly never had a problem with my Korean-American best friend from elementary school.

TL;DR version: People have all kinds of excuses for being racists. They're all ********.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:07 PM   #1656
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We defeated 100% of the ISIS Caliphate and no longer have any troops in the area under attack by Turkey, in Syria. We did our job perfectly! Now Turkey is attacking the Kurds, who have been fighting each other for 200 years....

....We have one of three choices: Send in thousands of troops and win Militarily, hit Turkey very hard Financially and with Sanctions, or mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds!
Old 10th October 2019, 04:08 PM   #1657
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:14 PM   #1658
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tomorrow, The Kurds didn't even help us in the Civil War!
Old 10th October 2019, 04:18 PM   #1659
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Where were they when we needed their help at Yorktown?
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:22 PM   #1660
a_unique_person

Who tipped them off?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:24 PM   #1661
a_unique_person

Trump Tweets

We defeated 100% of the ISIS Caliphate and no longer have any troops in the area under attack by Turkey, in Syria. We did our job perfectly! Now Turkey is attacking the Kurds, who have been fighting each other for 200 years....

....We have one of three choices: Send in thousands of troops and win Militarily, hit Turkey very hard Financially and with Sanctions, or mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds!
Turkey says they aren't actually in there to attack the Kurds but to fight ISIS.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:40 PM   #1662
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Who would he mean by "us?"
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:43 PM   #1663
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Who tipped them off?
They had a summons for a court appreance this morning, apparently, and knew it was a 99% chance they were going to be indicted.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th October 2019 at 04:46 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:44 PM   #1664
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Where were they when we needed their help at Yorktown?
Were'nt much help in the War of 1812 either.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:45 PM   #1665
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
We can and should dismiss what Zelenski says. Taking him at face value is not unlike taking a hostage who is reading a prepared statement at face value.
Quite. The more pressured he feels the more vehemently he'll deny it. What he really wants, of course, is not to have been dragged into any of this. Congress has his back, and he doesn't have to lobby hard for that.

To fix Ukraine he needs to fix the administration and the civil service, against severe pushback, and those pushing back can now try to undermine him by cosying-up to Giuliani and Trump and whispering sweet slanders in their ears.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:50 PM   #1666
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Either side!
Old 10th October 2019, 04:52 PM   #1667
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

Oh, I forgot this last one.
Pres. Trump wants a Nobel Peace Prize more than anything. He might have convinced himself that he can broker a deal for peace with the Kurds.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:52 PM   #1668
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I know there is a lot to choose from, but for sheer Trump stupidity , the "Kurds did not help us in Normancy" remark has got to be near the top.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:05 PM   #1669
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I forgot this last one.
Pres. Trump wants a Nobel Peace Prize more than anything. He might have convinced himself that he can broker a deal for peace with the Kurds.
Trump has as much chance of winning the Nobel Peace Prize as I do for winning the Nobel for my work in chemistry. Although I have heard I have a shot at the Physics prize.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:08 PM   #1670
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Who tipped them off?
I rather think the FBI were on their case as potential absconders well before Parnas and Fruman bought their tickets - perhaps online, by credit-card?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 05:11 PM   #1671
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has as much chance of winning the Nobel Peace Prize as I do for winning the Nobel for my work in chemistry. Although I have heard I have a shot at the Physics prize.
"Shoulda won it!"
From being laughed at out loud by the UN General Assembly to the Nobel Peace Prize ... even in today's world there are still things that ain't gonna happen.

Old 10th October 2019, 05:23 PM   #1672
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

He might have convinced himself that he can broker a deal for peace with the Kurds.
I don't think it's all that outlandish that he could. He's friendly with both Erdoğan and Assad.

Old 10th October 2019, 05:41 PM   #1673
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
"Shoulda won it!"
From being laughed at out loud by the UN General Assembly to the Nobel Peace Prize ... even in today's world there are still things that ain't gonna happen.
At first, I thought you meant me.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:57 PM   #1674
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I know there is a lot to choose from, but for sheer Trump stupidity , the "Kurds did not help us in Normancy" remark has got to be near the top.
Worse is that "the Kurds have been fighting each other for 200 years". The reason that there are still Kurds around is that they haven't fought each other, but instead have fought together everybody else that's come along to a standstill, for thousands of years. Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, the British Empire (which resorted to dropping chemical weapons on them), and still there they are, featuring on the world stage and a force to be reckoned with. The same people Xenophon described two and a half thousand years ago.

I suspect Erdogan's going to regret his campaign, and not just because of anything the US does. Kurds are the definitive enemy that plans do not survive first contact with.

Old 10th October 2019, 06:01 PM   #1675
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

At first, I thought you meant me.
I'll never forget that moment in the debate, or at least not until I'm as senile as Giuliani. That and "No puppet! You're the puppet!". Priceless.

Old 10th October 2019, 06:09 PM   #1676
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Giuliani under the bus by tomorrow afternoon.
The Wheels on the Bus Colbert style:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th October 2019, 06:13 PM   #1677
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Who would he mean by "us?"
Good point.
Old 10th October 2019, 06:15 PM   #1678
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I don't think it's all that outlandish that he could. He's friendly with both Erdoğan and Assad.

It's not outlandish that a deal can be done between Erdogan, Assad and the Kurds, but of course it's outlandish to think that Trump could have any part in brokering it. He might claim he has, but none of them would give him any credit. Putin, on the other hand, could credibly claim to have a hand in it, and has not yet betrayed the Kurds. The Kurds will no doubt believe that he might, but Putin hasn't yet proved that he will. Trump has.

Old 10th October 2019, 06:26 PM   #1679
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Worse is that "the Kurds have been fighting each other for 200 years". The reason that there are still Kurds around is that they haven't fought each other, but instead have fought together everybody else that's come along to a standstill, for thousands of years. Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, the British Empire (which resorted to dropping chemical weapons on them), and still there they are, featuring on the world stage and a force to be reckoned with. The same people Xenophon described two and a half thousand years ago.

I suspect Erdogan's going to regret his campaign, and not just because of anything the US does. Kurds are the definitive enemy that plans do not survive first contact with.
I believe there are ancient Assyrian writings complaining about the Kurds. You had to be a special kind of tough to irritate the ancient Assyrians.
Old 10th October 2019, 06:29 PM   #1680
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I believe there are ancient Assyrian writings complaining about the Kurds. You had to be a special kind of tough to irritate the ancient Assyrians.
And Saladin who whipped the crap out of the Crusaders was a Kurd.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics