ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 27th September 2019, 12:52 PM   #201
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Is it time for the Saturday Night Massacre already?
Old 27th September 2019, 12:57 PM   #202
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP!

Scapegoat firing in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:34 PM   #203
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
My money is that Giuliani might be the most likely candidate.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #204
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP!
Just think how entertaining The PDJT's tweets would be if Twitter allowed unlimited font size adjustment!
Old 27th September 2019, 02:12 PM   #205
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP!
I had this mental flash of Trump as a two year old flushing the toilet and proudly declaring "Look, Mommy! I'm draining the swamp!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:35 PM   #206
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Quote:
My money is that Giuliani might be the most likely candidate.
Didn't he already fire Pelosi?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:45 PM   #207
Venom
Illuminator

I can't find that article anymore but it featured an interview with a Trump supporter who said Trump should just call the top Democrats to his office and tell 'em "Democrats, you're fired!"

I guess that's how they want the swamp drained.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 03:37 PM   #208
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was amusing that Trump said Schiff should resign over his little parody of Trump's call to the Ukraine. I really wish Schiff would respond "you first Mr. President".
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:30 PM   #209
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I had this mental flash of Trump as a two year old flushing the toilet and proudly declaring "Look, Mommy! I'm draining the swamp!"
He probably doesn't flush even now. Too complicated.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:35 PM   #210
Tero
Graduate Poster

The Hill has hired Solomon, Uranium 1 dude,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...al_commentator)
To write editorials claiming Biden is the crook.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:01 PM   #211
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Another PERFECT conversation that Trump "locked up," but not quite well enough. I get the feeling that we should expect new revelations every day or two.

Trump told Russian officials in 2017 he wasn’t concerned about Moscow’s interference in U.S. election

Quote:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries, an assertion that prompted alarmed White House officials to limit access to the remarks to an unusually small number of people, according to three former officials with knowledge of the matter.

The comments, which have not been previously reported, were part of a now-infamous meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, in which Trump revealed highly classified information that exposed a source of intelligence on the Islamic State. He also said during the meeting that firing FBI Director James B. Comey the previous day had relieved “great pressure” on him.

A memorandum summarizing the meeting was limited to all but a few officials with the highest security clearances in an attempt to keep the president’s comments from being disclosed publicly, according to the former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:12 PM   #212
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
The whistle blower 9 page memo says there is a word for word transcript which has been put onto a database for code word level documents. Further, that there are other such transcripts of other problematic calls not related to Ukraine.
Yes, and I'll bet those other transcripts include calls with Vlad the Implaer. And if Dump behaved similarly, those calls will be the equivalent of Congress finding out there were tapes of White House conversations. It will seal the impeachment and maybe - MAYBE - even flip a large number of GOPers.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:25 PM   #213
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I gotta go with (1). Historic references from Trump are limited to Pocahontas and he learned about her from Disney.
Spot on. History for Dump only as far back as his last instruction call from Hannity.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:31 PM   #214
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Following the polling averages is a beeyotch because so many polls are concentrating on the worthless Dem Primary numbers. But the bellwether is Rasmussen and their numbers have proven very interesting.

He was at Approve +6 before any of this broke.
He went to +5 the first day, but that's MoE stuff.
Then to "Tie" after the feces hit the fan.
As of Friday, it's now Disapprove +2.

Even allowing for the fact that it's Rasmussen and highly suspect, that's an eight point swing in five calendar days.

I know that Rasmussen is a notably suspect poll. I find value in it just looking at the shifts, up or down. I start with the assumption that their numbers are biased, so the only two important factors are which direction the numbers are moving and that it's a daily-issued rolling poll. The other polls currently in the RCP and 538 average have bridge dates from before and after the news broke, the memo was released, and the whistleblower's complaint was released (all separate days).

But if even Rasmussen's MAGA sampling isn't buying the White House song and dance, this is both a very bad sign for Trump and an even worse sign for his 2020 re-election campaign. I look for him to pick a fight with a black woman any minute now. He may even have to use a known pejorative because he's always picking fights with people and it's wearing thin. People ain't buying the distractions any more.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 27th September 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:35 PM   #215
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I predict that Trump will start blasting every Republican who doesn't straight out support him publicly.
With the same certainty, I predict the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:38 PM   #216
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I predict he'll try to throw Giuliani under the bus and Giuliani will sing like a bird, possibly by mistaking damning evidence against them both as exonerating evidence for him personally. I judge Giuliani's grasp of reality to be about on level with Trump's loyalty to his underlings. It's not a recipe for success.
Rudy taking a one-way trip to the slammer would please second only to Dump taking that same trip.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:44 PM   #217
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The 25th doesn’t really get us much closer to removal. Dudalb has already pointed out that you can use it only on mental or physical incapacity.
I think it entirely feasible that those who have to sign on to such an effort are suddenly convinced that the evidence is overwhelming that Dump is mentally unfit for office. You'd have to be an very thick GOPer to not see Dump as a YUUUge liability.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:47 PM   #218
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I remain surprised at just how many worker bees there are in the White House and beyond that aren't tRump's buddies. Seems like an awful lot more people are witnesses to what's going on than I would have imagined.

Trump's probably so used to minimum wages workers around him he doesn't realize there are actually educated intelligent people that work in the WH.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th September 2019 at 07:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:48 PM   #219
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What's with the utterly inappropriate superlatives?? And isn't the military already many times bigger and more heavily armed than whoever is second?
The second largest air force in the world is the US Navy.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:53 PM   #220
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Apostrophe-Gate!
' gate.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:05 PM   #221
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I was thinking the same thing! What on earth was that mark there for? Neither an apostrophe nor an accent aigu make sense. Wait...I'm expecting Trump tweets to make sense? What was I thinking?
Umm... It you want to take a little peek into crazy town -

Apostrophe-gate. It’s crazier than you think.

I think that I can safely say that some people are... a little insane in what they conclude. Unfortunately, given that Trump's rattled off crazy conspiracy theories in bulk, I actually can't rule out the reasonable chance that he actually meant it in the crazy way, rather than the moronically stupid way.

In other news... Yes, DeSantis, Florida's governor, is horrendously corrupt. Maybe even the most corrupt governor that we currently have.

The Truth About Those NY Times "Swing Voters" Who Don't Favor Trump Impeachment.

Short version? They're really, really not swing voters as the term is normally understood. For example,

Quote:
Trisha, who admits she’s been to 23 Trump campaign rallies. 23! She wrote a book about Trump! NYT has interviewed her at least twice in the past two years.

She’s a Trump fanatic, not a swing voter.
Ugh.

Last edited by Aridas; 27th September 2019 at 09:10 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:13 PM   #222
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Trump's probably so used to minimum wages workers around him he doesn't realize there are actually educated intelligent people that work in the WH.
I’m not convinced that he is acting in such way that indicates that he is unaware of how many educated intelligent people are around him.

First, he thinks he is more intelligent and more educated than anyone he has ever met.

Second, he is used to intelligent educated people doing whatever he asks.

Third, he thinks he is so sly, clever and devious that he can fool or foil the most intelligent and educated people. E.g. telling all White House employees to sign non-disclosure statements.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:29 PM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I’m not convinced that he is acting in such way that indicates that he is unaware of how many educated intelligent people are around him.

First, he thinks he is more intelligent and more educated than anyone he has ever met.

Third, he thinks he is so sly, clever and devious that he can fool or foil the most intelligent and educated people. E.g. telling all White House employees to sign non-disclosure statements.
We don't disagree, we are just describing a few things differently.

For example, Trump doesn't realize there are smarter workers around him because he's oblivious to any and all of those workers.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:48 PM   #224
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Umm... It you want to take a little peek into crazy town -

Apostrophe-gate. It’s crazier than you think.

I think that I can safely say that some people are... a little insane in what they conclude. Unfortunately, given that Trump's rattled off crazy conspiracy theories in bulk, I actually can't rule out the reasonable chance that he actually meant it in the crazy way, rather than the moronically stupid way.
I saw something about this earlier. Insane. It scares the crap out of me that these people not only vote, they reproduce.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:51 PM   #225
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Love it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Donnie has a new hat.jpeg (90.1 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 10:02 PM   #226
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
So Maguire made a bad judgment in a job he never sought and had just gotten after a long period of great service. Can't get tooo mad at him, especially since Congress has the info now.

Perhaps this shows why having all your heads of departments "acting" having never undergone the Congressional approval process is a reeeeeealy bad idea.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 10:33 PM   #227
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Perhaps this shows why having all your heads of departments "acting" having never undergone the Congressional approval process is a reeeeeealy bad idea.
Yes.he did seem confused and vexed when he came to realize that he cannot hire anyone he likes.
Old 28th September 2019, 12:26 AM   #228
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Rudy taking a one-way trip to the slammer would please second only to Dump taking that same trip.
Those two should be cellmates (in a soundproof facility, because forcing someone else to listen to their babbling would be cruel and unusual).
Old 28th September 2019, 01:05 AM   #229
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

There's an entertaining article in today's Guardian by an Australian journalist who accompanied her PM on a visit to the White House:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...use-wonderland

Quote:
We are greeted by a blond woman in a broad-brimmed hat. June, a self-described southern belle, is receiving visitors in the briefing room, although it’s not clear why. She identifies herself as a fellow scribe working for Christian radio and television in Nashville. When she’s not reporting on the Trump White House, she’s rallying Christians for the president. This seems something of a line cross for a reporter with White House press accreditation – but we’ve been on the premises for about 10 minutes and it’s clear that we’re not in Kansas any more.
Old 28th September 2019, 01:47 AM   #230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump impeachment inquiry: Pompeo subpoenaed by House Democrats

Quote:
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has been ordered by Democrats to turn over documents relating to the Trump administration's dealings with Ukraine.

In a letter, the heads of three House committees subpoenaed Mr Pompeo to produce the documents within a week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49860079
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:26 AM   #231
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
The Hill has hired Solomon, Uranium 1 dude,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...al_commentator)
To write editorials claiming Biden is the crook.
That guy is a real ****. He's the kind of lowlife Trump would be attracted to. It's telling that you only see his kind of scum rushing to Trump's defense.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:17 AM   #232
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Following the polling averages is a beeyotch because so many polls are concentrating on the worthless Dem Primary numbers. But the bellwether is Rasmussen and their numbers have proven very interesting.

He was at Approve +6 before any of this broke.
He went to +5 the first day, but that's MoE stuff.
Then to "Tie" after the feces hit the fan.
As of Friday, it's now Disapprove +2.

Even allowing for the fact that it's Rasmussen and highly suspect, that's an eight point swing in five calendar days.

I know that Rasmussen is a notably suspect poll. I find value in it just looking at the shifts, up or down. I start with the assumption that their numbers are biased, so the only two important factors are which direction the numbers are moving and that it's a daily-issued rolling poll. The other polls currently in the RCP and 538 average have bridge dates from before and after the news broke, the memo was released, and the whistleblower's complaint was released (all separate days).

But if even Rasmussen's MAGA sampling isn't buying the White House song and dance, this is both a very bad sign for Trump and an even worse sign for his 2020 re-election campaign. I look for him to pick a fight with a black woman any minute now. He may even have to use a known pejorative because he's always picking fights with people and it's wearing thin. People ain't buying the distractions any more.
That's the trouble with the dead cat tactic. If you run out of steam, then suddenly all the dead cats end up piling on you, and focus rather than distract.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:25 AM   #233
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Like Billy Mumy in the famous Twilight Zone episode, he thinks he's so much more capable than everyone that he can pull off shenanigans in plain view. "Russia if you're listening..." And the toadies that surround him treat him accordingly. Endlessly stroking his ego. Feeding only the positive news. Filtering out the things that makes him mad. ("Don't mention Russian interference!") They fear being sent to the corn field, rightfully so. Better to be an accomplice than that fate, in their minds.

Last edited by varwoche; 28th September 2019 at 04:38 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 05:28 AM   #234
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

It's a shame Frank is no longer with us. He would have a lot of fun with the Trump presidency.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 28th September 2019 at 05:32 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 05:31 AM   #235
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

The President of Ukraine said that he was NOT pressured by me to do anything wrong. Can’t have better testimony than that! As V.P., Biden had his son, on the other hand, take out millions of dollars by strong arming the Ukrainian President. Also looted millions from China. Bad!

Will be a GREAT and very accurate show tonight by @seanhannity on @foxnews (9:00 PM). Will play my full statement from Air Force One!

(He then tweets most of the show.)

Is there no point at which Trump's twits cross the line into actionable defamation of character?

He's lying. He knows he's lying, and everybody else who hasn't been infected with the Trump Zombie Virus™ knows he's lying.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 05:37 AM   #236
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think that what gets Trump supporters so worked up is not that Trump does so many obviously ****** things:
it's their perception that Dems/Libs/etc. seem to get away with their scandals whereas Trump can't seem to crime properly as to not leave obvious proof.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 06:43 AM   #237
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I just figured it out! "Liddle'"-- the apostrophe represents "foot"!
So he's calling him Liddlefoot - like the dinosaur from The Land Before Time. What a genius way to make a snipe!

But then, there's the whole misspelling "little" thing...
Old 28th September 2019, 06:55 AM   #238
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't ask, he commands. It's a royal edict.
Old 28th September 2019, 07:30 AM   #239
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Can you imagine if these Do Nothing Democrat Savages, people like Nadler, Schiff, AOC Plus 3, and many more, had a Republican Party who would have done to Obama what the Do Nothings are doing to me. Oh well, maybe next time!

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 08:42 AM   #240
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

Can you imagine if these Do Nothing Democrat Savages, people like Nadler, Schiff, AOC Plus 3, and many more, had a Republican Party who would have done to Obama what the Do Nothings are doing to me. Oh well, maybe next time!

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!

It isn't like they didn't try.

It's just that when the most they have to work with is Dijon mustard, the color of his suit. and Michelle's bare arms it isn't going to get them very far.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics