ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 28th September 2019, 12:36 PM   #281
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hope we don't have to use the same methods to get rid of Kind Donald the First we had to use to get rid of King George The Third.
I've already noted some parallels with Louis XVI. That method of monarch removal is much less expensive.
Old 28th September 2019, 12:37 PM   #282
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
CNN was focused more on profiting off of Trump's outrageousness than just about any other concerns, really, since before he was President. That didn't really change, by the look of it? Multiple owners of the so called liberal media, including CNN's, I thought, outright declared that Trump, while he might be bad for the country, was great for their ratings, and thus, their profits.
To be fair I think they also hated his guts. Slightly more honorable, maybe. I think he's earned the personal animosity of many individual reporters by lying to their faces. And such stupid lies, too.

I was one of those people compulsively going to CNN's website in the early days to check on the latest outrage. I think they could have adopted a more neutral tone and still gotten those clicks/viewership. But they did know for sure that Trump headlines generated page views.

After a while I stopped clicking. I saw the same column being written over and over. Literally every week was the most damaging week of his presidency. Which might have been true, but it never seemed to budge his poll numbers down in a meaningful way. After a while it was like "the boy who cried wolf." Trump knew it too. He plays the news media very well.

Last edited by Minoosh; 28th September 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Strange auto-correct software
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #283
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
From something John Dean said when discussing why people in Nixon's inner circle broke the law for him: People close to the POTUS are star-struck. It explains so many of Trump's upper echelon followers like Lindsay Graham. Barr fits the mold.
Yep. Thanks for linking the CNN piece. So I wonder: How much did Trump know about the attempted coverup? I wonder if they'd tell him, or just try to contain it through underlings.

Trump has his political base but I don't know how much personal loyalty he commands in the WH. I would imagine, not much (and falling). But I'd be guessing.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 01:33 PM   #284
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
To be fair I think they also hated his guts. Slightly more honorable, maybe. I think he's earned the personal animosity of many individual reporters by lying to their faces. And such stupid lies, too.
It's likely well worth pointing out again that, well... While reporters do tend to lean distinctly towards the left, relatively speaking, the owners/people actually calling the shots and setting the overall tone of what gets shown tend to be much more on the right and cynically profit-focused. While the reporters certainly do matter, in short, they aren't even remotely in charge. Thus, it's more appropriate to be focusing on those who actually are in charge and their motivations.

I was one of those people compulsively going to CNN's website in the early days to check on the latest outrage. I think they could have adopted a more neutral tone and still gotten those clicks/viewership. But they did know for sure that Trump headlines generated page views.

After a while I stopped clicking. I saw the same column being written over and over. Literally every week was the most damaging week of his presidency. Which might have been true, but it never seemed to budge his poll numbers down in a meaningful way. After a while it was like "the boy who cried wolf." Trump knew it too. He plays the news media very well.
Mmm. I haven't stopped taking a peek several times a week, but... I've always tended to ignore the "worst week yet" type of editorializing. But then, Trump suffering doesn't make me happy at all. Similarly, Republican lawmakers showing that they're power-hungry and unprincipled traitors that are happy to burn down the world for chump change, provided that chump change is in their hands, doesn't make me happy, regardless of whether they get punished or not for their utter irresponsibility.
Old 28th September 2019, 02:05 PM   #285
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yep. Thanks for linking the CNN piece. So I wonder: How much did Trump know about the attempted coverup? I wonder if they'd tell him, or just try to contain it through underlings.

Trump has his political base but I don't know how much personal loyalty he commands in the WH. I would imagine, not much (and falling). But I'd be guessing.
Are you kidding? Do you recall the Trump worship roundtable Trump put on display back in year one?

As for covering something up without telling Trump, I doubt it. People around him probably warn him daily. But Trump also ignores the warnings. Take for example the failed attempts to stop his Tweeting.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th September 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:05 PM   #286
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

From something John Dean said when discussing why people in Nixon's inner circle broke the law for him: People close to the POTUS are star-struck. It explains so many of Trump's upper echelon followers like Lindsay Graham. Barr fits the mold.
A little of that and a little of an exchange from HBO's Chernobyl that sticks with me:

"You know why I believed them?"

"Because they put you in charge."

(Setting aside the other half of the narrative device that it was also a character note to show Scherbina had "grown" from haughty bureaucrat to charmingly self deprecating statesman).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:15 PM   #287
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Mmm. I haven't stopped taking a peek several times a week, but... I've always tended to ignore the "worst week yet" type of editorializing. But then, Trump suffering doesn't make me happy at all. Similarly, Republican lawmakers showing that they're power-hungry and unprincipled traitors that are happy to burn down the world for chump change, provided that chump change is in their hands, doesn't make me happy, regardless of whether they get punished or not for their utter irresponsibility.
I'm not a big fan of CNN either. Occasionally, they nail it. But there's too much hyperbole for my tastes.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:21 PM   #288
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Are you kidding? Do you recall the Trump worship roundtable Trump put on display back in year one?

As for covering something up without telling Trump, I doubt it. People around him probably warn him daily. But Trump also ignores the warnings. Take for example the failed attempts to stop his Tweeting.
That cabinet meeting was the most sycophantic brown nosing display I have ever witnessed. I was embarrassed for them. I've never seen so many people in those kind of leadership positions fall over themselves to french kiss someone's ass.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:31 PM   #289
Minoosh
Philosopher

I do recall, but I also think that if there were genuine loyalty he wouldn't be so obsessed about putting it on display. I can't explain why his Cabinet made such a spectacle of itself. He does hold them in some kind of thrall. But I also think that could evaporate pretty quickly.

They have apparently gotten some control of his Tweety machine. Most of the words have been spelled correctly lately. Not all of them, but probably more than Trump could manage on his own. I doubt if he could spell "apostrophe" if his life depended on it.

ETA: I'm thinking more of a "kitchen cabinet" - trusted advisers who have forged bonds through many years. Not the glassy-eyed slavering. But I'm just guessing.

Last edited by Minoosh; 28th September 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 28th September 2019, 02:40 PM   #290
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That cabinet meeting was the most sycophantic brown nosing display I have ever witnessed. I was embarrassed for them. I've never seen so many people in those kind of leadership positions fall over themselves to french kiss someone's ass.

Or that long-winded Pence monologue gushing over Trump in the other meeting.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGuardian...7521408328650/
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:43 PM   #291
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Then everything went downhill
Old 28th September 2019, 02:44 PM   #292
Paul2
Philosopher

If a President is impeached and removed from office (ETA: in the first term), on what basis does that prohibit him from running for the office of the Presidency? Is there a time limit after which a President is removed from office during which that person cannot run for that office again? But after which the person can?

I am deeply, deeply sorry for bringing this up, but I see nothing in the Constitution that directly addresses this.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 28th September 2019 at 02:48 PM.
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:48 PM   #293
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to think of a contraction that doesn't end with the last letter of the phrase, as in "can't," "I'd," etc.
"Y'all" or "he'll".

I misspelled the former for years as "ya'll" and eventually discovered my error. I still prefer the look of "ya'll", but the missing sounds are from "you", not the a from "all".
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:57 PM   #294
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

They have apparently gotten some control of his Tweety machine. Most of the words have been spelled correctly lately. Not all of them, but probably more than Trump could manage on his own. I doubt if he could spell "apostrophe" if his life depended on it.
I think he spelled it "h-y-p-h-e-n". Which looks like Trump's thumbs to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 02:58 PM   #295
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I'm trying to think of a contraction that doesn't end with the last letter of the phrase, as in "can't," "I'd," etc.
Living in the south, I’m fixin’ to come up with some examples. I’ll try not to keep y’all waitin’ too long!

Edited to add: I see phiwum’s already started down this road’

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 28th September 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 03:18 PM   #296
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Living in the south, I’m fixin’ to come up with some examples. I’ll try not to keep y’all waitin’ too long!
Wouldn't that be all y'all?

Feynman
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 03:58 PM   #297
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's what Cohen said as well. I don't know how he does it but Trump's personality is very charismatic and hypnotic for "X" percent of people.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:02 PM   #298
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hope we don't have to use the same methods to get rid of Kind Donald the First we had to use to get rid of King George The Third.
Make his son regent until he dies?

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've already noted some parallels with Louis XVI. That method of monarch removal is much less expensive.
I was thinking Charles I, myself.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:11 PM   #299
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I do recall, but I also think that if there were genuine loyalty he wouldn't be so obsessed about putting it on display. I can't explain why his Cabinet made such a spectacle of itself. He does hold them in some kind of thrall. But I also think that could evaporate pretty quickly.
That's part of his narcissism pathology, he constantly seeks reassurance.

Quote:
Just because someone inserts Tweets for him doesn't mean anyone has control over his stupidity.

Quote:
ETA: I'm thinking more of a "kitchen cabinet" - trusted advisers who have forged bonds through many years. Not the glassy-eyed slavering. But I'm just guessing.
Other than his family members and maybe Cohen, who would you be referring to here?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th September 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:13 PM   #300
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
If a President is impeached and removed from office (ETA: in the first term), on what basis does that prohibit him from running for the office of the Presidency? Is there a time limit after which a President is removed from office during which that person cannot run for that office again? But after which the person can?

I am deeply, deeply sorry for bringing this up, but I see nothing in the Constitution that directly addresses this.
He knows he wouldn't win, I doubt he'd risk it and almost certainly the RNC would not back him.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:14 PM   #301
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I think he spelled it "h-y-p-h-e-n". Which looks like Trump's thumbs to me.

I believe that is correct.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:37 PM   #302
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

They are trying to stop ME, because I am fighting for YOU!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:37 PM   #303
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Oddly, I was thinking of Charles I.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #304
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

WOW, they got caught. End the Witch Hunt now!

Intel Community Secretly Nixed Whistleblower Demand Of First-Hand Info
Federal records show the intel community secretly revised a whistleblower complaint form to eliminate the requirement of first-hand knowledge of wrongdoing.
thefederalist.com
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 04:40 PM   #305
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

How do you impeach a President who has created the greatest Economy in the history of our Country, entirely rebuilt our Military into the most powerful it has ever been, Cut Record Taxes & Regulations, fixed the VA & gotten Choice for our Vets (after 45 years), & so much more?...

....The conversation with the new and very good Ukraine President, who told the Fake News, at the United Nations, that HE WAS NOT PRESSURED BY ME IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, should by and of itself bring an end to the new and most recent Witch Hunt. Others ended in ashes!

The Whistleblower’s complaint is completely different and at odds from my actual conversation with the new President of Ukraine. The so-called “Whistleblower” knew practically NOTHING in that those ridiculous charges were far more dramatic & wrong, just like Liddle’ Adam Schiff..

....fraudulently and illegally inserted his made up & twisted words into my call with the Ukrainian President to make it look like I did something very wrong. He then boldly read those words to Congress and millions of people, defaming & libeling me. He must resign from Congress!
Old 28th September 2019, 04:48 PM   #306
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Ol'
Old 28th September 2019, 04:52 PM   #307
Minoosh
Philosopher

Other than his family members and maybe Cohen, who would you be referring to here?
Glassy-eyed slavering refers to his televised Cabinet appearances, a!though I noticed Mattis didn't do any of that stuff.

My point - it seemed off.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:56 PM   #308
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Federal records show the intel community secretly revised a whistleblower complaint form to eliminate the requirement of first-hand knowledge of wrongdoing.
thefederalist.com
Well of course they did it secretly, they're freakin' spies
Old 28th September 2019, 04:58 PM   #309
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Ol'
I knew I was missing something.

ETA: Trump has doubled down on "Liddle' "

Last edited by Minoosh; 28th September 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 28th September 2019, 05:03 PM   #310
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Correction: She's not a human being, she's a reptoid.
No! a Robotoid! (favored conspiracy theory creature before the Reptilian craze.)

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 05:41 PM   #311
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

thefederalist.com
And yet if the first hand knowledge exonerated Trump, one would think he'd be happy to share it.

What he did share was incriminating.
Old 28th September 2019, 05:43 PM   #312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

How do you impeach a President who has created the greatest Economy in the history of our Country, entirely rebuilt our Military into the most powerful it has ever been, Cut Record Taxes & Regulations, fixed the VA & gotten Choice for our Vets (after 45 years), & so much more?...

....The conversation with the new and very good Ukraine President, who told the Fake News, at the United Nations, that HE WAS NOT PRESSURED BY ME IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, should by and of itself bring an end to the new and most recent Witch Hunt. Others ended in ashes!

The Whistleblower’s complaint is completely different and at odds from my actual conversation with the new President of Ukraine. The so-called “Whistleblower” knew practically NOTHING in that those ridiculous charges were far more dramatic & wrong, just like Liddle’ Adam Schiff..

....fraudulently and illegally inserted his made up & twisted words into my call with the Ukrainian President to make it look like I did something very wrong. He then boldly read those words to Congress and millions of people, defaming & libeling me. He must resign from Congress!
Holy ****** Now that belongs in the mentally ill thread for sure.
Old 28th September 2019, 06:22 PM   #313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I think they never thought Trump could actulaly be elected.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 06:27 PM   #314
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Oddly, I was thinking of Charles I.
What, with that hair? Trump wishes he were Charles I.
Old 28th September 2019, 07:20 PM   #315
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“And” can be have the d left off as in Rock ‘n’ Roll or fish ‘n’ chips.

Also, McDonald’s sells Fillet o’ Fish sandwich (although the copyright is for Fillet-O-Fish).

I’ll try to think of a real wicked bitchin’ example.

ETA
I’m not sure about “that example is a beaut’ “

Last edited by Ladewig; 28th September 2019 at 07:37 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 07:36 PM   #316
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump Tweets

He's imploding right before our eyes!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 08:18 PM   #317
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He's imploding right before our eyes!
Is it just that particular tweet or is it me? It seems that his trollish supporters can't keep up with the critics and a large number of those supporters are more concerned about selling connections to their own material/sites/podcast/blogs.

There's one answer that should take Twitter by storm. Every time he starts a tweet with "How can you impeach...."

The entire world should answer variations of:

> With glee!
> With great pleasure!
> With ******* bells on!
> With a sense of duty to my country!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2019, 08:43 PM   #318
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quiet! I'm thinkin'!
Old 28th September 2019, 08:52 PM   #319
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone posted this yet?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...9a0_story.html
Quote:
State Dept. intensifies email probe of Hillary Clinton’s former aides
Quote:
As many as 130 officials have been contacted in recent weeks by State Department investigators — a list that includes senior officials who reported directly to Clinton as well as others in lower-level jobs whose emails were at some point relayed to her inbox, said current and former State Department officials.
Those targeted were notified that emails they sent years ago have been retroactively classified and now constitute potential security violations, according to letters reviewed by The Washington Post.
Old 28th September 2019, 08:58 PM   #320
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I expect they'll also reopen the Benghazi investigation any minute now.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics