ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , republican party , republicans

Reply
Old 1st October 2019, 10:17 AM   #41
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Maybe you need to change the lure or bait.
Nah, I think they simply need to stop trolling in Trump's defense.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 10:20 AM   #42
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
The Anti-Masonic Party
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party
The Green Party for their 9/11 conspiracy theories and other forms of science denialism(GMOs)
Lots of various crazy political movements in US history:
The Paranoid Style in American Politics by Richard Hofstadter

Yeah, I don't really think a relatively unknown third party is really comparable to one of the two major parties today. You've always been able to find conspiracy theorists: Find me a major party of its time that has bought in to so many as the GOP has.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 10:50 AM   #43
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Yeah, I don't really think a relatively unknown third party is really comparable to one of the two major parties today. You've always been able to find conspiracy theorists: Find me a major party of its time that has bought in to so many as the GOP has.


Ah. Is that all you want? I present to you the OP.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 11:40 AM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 45,625
I think the Southern Democrats in 1860 might have been just a tad worse.
But the current day GOP is right donwn there with the Know Nothings.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 11:42 AM   #45
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Ah. Is that all you want? I present to you the OP.
What the hell, did you just post to agree with me? Yeah, I know, I wrote the OP: The GOP I described in the OP does qualify--Thanks for noticing!!

If you can't find another example that just goes to support my claim: They are unique.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 11:48 AM   #46
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Southern Democrats in 1860 might have been just a tad worse.
But the current day GOP is right donwn there with the Know Nothings.
I am deliberately avoiding the term "worse". The specific motivation for this thread were the repeated claims
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 12.

Do not call out other members.
Posted By:zooterkin
that Trump and the GOP are not uniquely bad so what the hell are you complaining about. After seeing them straw man me with that absurd argument over and over again, I figured let's go ahead and own it: Agree to their own terms and still prove them wrong....

....which I seem to be doing so far. LOL!

Anyway, the (hopefully obvious) point is that multiple things can be uniquely bad regardless of whether this or that one is actually worse.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:39 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 11:50 AM   #47
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,270
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You could make a case that Trump is a uniquely bad President and I won’t even argue with you. The OP is saying that the modern GOP as a whole is uniquely bad in American History and that simply isn’t true.
And I’m willing to bet you can cite a blog or two that supports this position.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 11:51 AM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38,387
Huh.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 01:08 PM   #49
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,912
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Southern Democrats in 1860 might have been just a tad worse.
You don't have to go that far back. How about the Southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s?

This thread reminds me of the Saturday Night Live Skit after the election where the white liberals are all moaning about how this is the worst thing that ever happened in American history, and Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are shaking their heads in disbelief.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 01:13 PM   #50
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You don't have to go that far back. How about the Southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s?

This thread reminds me of the Saturday Night Live Skit after the election where the white liberals are all moaning about how this is the worst thing that ever happened in American history, and Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are shaking their heads in disbelief.
While you are patting yourself on the back for erroneously believing you have successfully mocked my thread, please reread and note that I specifically said I am not addressing worse at all.


Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin


Meanwhile, I remain satisfied that no one is actually capable of contradicting my claim.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 01:14 PM   #51
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You don't have to go that far back. How about the Southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s?

This thread reminds me of the Saturday Night Live Skit after the election where the white liberals are all moaning about how this is the worst thing that ever happened in American history, and Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are shaking their heads in disbelief.
Nice straw man, however!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:04 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 45,625
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Nice straw man, however!

Hey, guess, what?
All the racist Southern Democrats moved to the GOP..something the GOPers here don't like to talk about.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:11 PM   #53
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,912
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hey, guess, what?
All the racist Southern Democrats moved to the GOP..something the GOPers here don't like to talk about.
The Democrats had them when they were segregating and lynching.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:26 PM   #54
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And I’m willing to bet you can cite a blog or two that supports this position.

If the OP had backed up their assertions with unbiased citations, maybe you’d have a point...
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:41 PM   #55
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
What the hell, did you just post to agree with me? Yeah, I know, I wrote the OP: The GOP I described in the OP does qualify--Thanks for noticing!!



If you can't find another example that just goes to support my claim: They are unique.
Perhaps I need to be clearer.

Your OP is a perfect example of employing special pleading to argue/rant that one party is uniquely bad. Support it with more than your own bare assertions. How about, as johnnykarate might say, some unbiased citations? Maybe some contrasting and comparing with other “bad” political behavior in history. Make an actual case, IOW...put some meat on dem bones. Until you do, I’ll rest on my own conclusion that there is nothing unique about the GOP.

And yeah, what theprestige said...a little respect goes a long way.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:51 PM   #56
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,270
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The Democrats had them when they were segregating and lynching.
And the Republicans welcomed them with open arms.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 02:57 PM   #57
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Perhaps I need to be clearer.

Your OP is a perfect example of employing special pleading to argue/rant that one party is uniquely bad. Support it with more than your own bare assertions. How about, as johnnykarate might say, some unbiased citations? Maybe some contrasting and comparing with other “bad” political behavior in history. Make an actual case, IOW...put some meat on dem bones. Until you do, I’ll rest on my own conclusion that there is nothing unique about the GOP.

And yeah, what theprestige said...a little respect goes a long way.
Oh yeah, and your previous post did require a great deal of clarification: You responded to

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Yeah, I don't really think a relatively unknown third party is really comparable to one of the two major parties today. You've always been able to find conspiracy theorists: Find me a major party of its time that has bought in to so many as the GOP has.
with

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Ah. Is that all you want? I present to you the OP.
....


Now that you've clarified you were referring to me as the OP (rather than the GOP, which, after all, was the subject of the OP) it really looks as though you think I am a major party.

I appreciate you thinking that, but I really can't claim it for my own.

LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 03:00 PM   #58
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,270
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
If the OP had backed up their assertions with unbiased citations, maybe you’d have a point...
Well, my point was to mock your terrible arguments, so I think it was indeed made.

And your arguments continue to be terrible in this thread.

You concede that Trump is uniquely bad, but claim that the GOP who supports him is somehow not.

It's like saying that the guy robbing the bank is a criminal, but his getaway driver isn't.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 03:16 PM   #59
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Well, my point was to mock your terrible arguments, so I think it was indeed made.

And your arguments continue to be terrible in this thread.
Oh, you think arguments are being made in this thread? That's weird because there really hasn't been a real argument made in this thread. The OP is a rant asserting that the GOP is uniquely bad; I asserted in response that it isn't true. When the OP puts some meat on the bones (and stops with the "you lied to me" crap) maybe I would respond with arguments in kind. For now, we have dueling assertions.

Quote:
You concede that Trump is uniquely bad, but claim that the GOP who supports him is somehow not.
That's not what I said. I said:

Quote:
You could make a case that Trump is a uniquely bad President and I won’t even argue with you. The OP is saying that the modern GOP as a whole is uniquely bad in American History and that simply isn’t true.
Which means that I wouldn't be interested in arguing about how bad Trump is; he's bad enough for me to not be a big fan. But I would be interested in debating about whether or not the current GOP as a whole is uniquely bad in history because I don't think it's true. I am, however, open to good arguments that might convince me otherwise. Unfortunately, that debate hasn't even gotten started here.

Quote:
It's like saying that the guy robbing the bank is a criminal, but his getaway driver isn't.
It hasn't even been established that the GOP is the getaway driver. Do that first.

See, I know how this goes: The OP and others make assertions without backing them up. I make an assertion and get in response: "Citations! Liar! Blah blah!"
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:03 PM   #60
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Oh, you think arguments are being made in this thread? That's weird because there really hasn't been a real argument made in this thread. The OP is a rant asserting that the GOP is uniquely bad; I asserted in response that it isn't true. When the OP puts some meat on the bones (and stops with the "you lied to me" crap) maybe I would respond with arguments in kind. For now, we have dueling assertions.
Actually, I supported my position by noting the fact that there has never been a major party that espouses so many conspiracy theories. No one so far, including you, has successfully challenged that assertion.

And personally, I've had quite enough of the lies being told by Trump supporters and apologists like you. Enough.
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin


I realize that's probably expecting too much, however.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:43 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:05 PM   #61
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

It hasn't even been established that the GOP is the getaway driver. Do that first.
You can't possibly be serious, can you? I read that analogy as meaning the GOP is an enabler of Trump. That is undeniable.
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:45 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:08 PM   #62
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

See, I know how this goes: The OP and others make assertions without backing them up. I make an assertion and get in response: "Citations! Liar! Blah blah!"

No. I make observations to that which is absolutely clear to anyone and everyone paying attention. You, on the other hand, reference some relatively obscure event in recent NC history and end up utterly incapable of providing an unbiased citation of said event.

Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:44 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:20 PM   #63
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Actually, I supported my position by noting the fact that there has never been a major party that espouses so many conspiracy theories. No one so far, including you, has successfully challenged that assertion.
Thats not supporting your position. That’s doubling down on your assertion. I can do the same thing: I note the fact that every party has espoused conspiracy theories at one time or another in support of my assertion that the modern GOP is not unique in history. Easy-peasy to make assertions and “note” things to “support” a position. Not very effective, but here we are.



Quote:
And personally, I've had quite enough of the lies being told by Trump supporters and apologists like you. Enough. If you don't like hearing it I'd suggest you apologize and don't lie to me anymore.
You know what I’ve had enough of? These stupid rants and insults; that’s all you’ve got. This thread is ample proof of that, so I guess it did some good.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:26 PM   #64
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,974
There is no single thing that characterizes the modern GOP as unique amongst historical political parties who have held significant public office in this country. All of the problems they have, many parties in history have had.

The combination of things that characterize the modern GOP, and the degree to which it is characterized by them, would definitely be unique.

I was at a Chinese restaurant a few weeks back, and for some reason I've yet to understand they had Fox and Friends on the television over the bar. I sat there enduring that cavalcade of idiodicy for about 45 minutes, as all the various talking heads and politicians did their schtick. I don't think I have ever witness such a profound display of emotionally-stunted stupidity and self-important viciousness outside of a Jr. High School lunchroom. Not one of them manifested the emotional or intellectual maturity expected of anyone over fourteen years old.

I disturbingly found myself longing for the days of pompous patricians like Bill Buckley, who could actually talk intelligently, and wrote his own books. I'm not sure anyone on Fox and Friends could actually read a book more intellectually challenging than Dick and Jane Burn A Cross. For someone who grew up on the witty repartee between Buckley and Gore Vidal, watching the current incarnation of conservative punditry was like a trip back to an age when fart jokes were the ne plus ultra of culture.
__________________
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:29 PM   #65
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
No. I make observations to that which is absolutely clear to anyone and everyone paying attention.
Thats why it’s so strange that you can’t back it up. I mean if it’s so clear, it should be trivial to make a cohesive, well-supported and sourced argument. Your arguments are very much like the typical religious nut’s: “If you can’t see it, you’re just blind, man!”
Quote:
You, on the other hand, reference some relatively obscure event in recent NC history and end up utterly incapable of providing an unbiased citation of said event.
You want to argue that point? Do it in the relevant thread. Here, you should concentrate on a cohesive, well-supported argument about how the current GOP is unique in American political history. You haven’t done that yet.



<snip personal attack>
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:31 PM   #66
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
You can't possibly be serious, can you? I read that analogy as meaning the GOP is an enabler of Trump. That is undeniable.
Then support it! I get that you have a strong opinion about this; all I’m asking is that you support it. Can you? Will you?


Quote:
<snip personal attack>
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:39 PM   #67
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
There is no single thing that characterizes the modern GOP as unique amongst historical political parties who have held significant public office in this country. All of the problems they have, many parties in history have had.

The combination of things that characterize the modern GOP, and the degree to which it is characterized by them, would definitely be unique.

I was at a Chinese restaurant a few weeks back, and for some reason I've yet to understand they had Fox and Friends on the television over the bar. I sat there enduring that cavalcade of idiodicy for about 45 minutes, as all the various talking heads and politicians did their schtick. I don't think I have ever witness such a profound display of emotionally-stunted stupidity and self-important viciousness outside of a Jr. High School lunchroom. Not one of them manifested the emotional or intellectual maturity expected of anyone over fourteen years old.

I disturbingly found myself longing for the days of pompous patricians like Bill Buckley, who could actually talk intelligently, and wrote his own books. I'm not sure anyone on Fox and Friends could actually read a book more intellectually challenging than Dick and Jane Burn A Cross. For someone who grew up on the witty repartee between Buckley and Gore Vidal, watching the current incarnation of conservative punditry was like a trip back to an age when fart jokes were the ne plus ultra of culture.

Thanks for your post. I know what you mean; I've been exposed to enough of Tucker Carlson, for example, on Fox News to have learned that he likes to argue against liberals simply by changing his voice and speaking of them in a mocking tone.

Considering the intersection of media saturation we have with Cable TV, satellite radio and, of course, social media, it's hard for me to see how the modern GOP could even fail to be unique in its brand of corruption: Even if X-style corruption has occurred dozens of times in American history, it's never happened before with the complete inter-connected media saturated world we're living in, and that extra variable should be cause for alarm for any Trump apologists eager to dismiss our concerns.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:43 PM   #68
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Thats why it’s so strange that you can’t back it up. I mean if it’s so clear, it should be trivial to make a cohesive, well-supported and sourced argument. Your arguments are very much like the typical religious nut’s: “If you can’t see it, you’re just blind, man!”
You want to argue that point? Do it in the relevant thread. Here, you should concentrate on a cohesive, well-supported argument about how the current GOP is unique in American political history. You haven’t done that yet.


<snip personal attack>
What makes you think I can't back them up? Of course I can back them up. I simply realize it's an absolute waste of time to back up the assertion that the modern GOP engages in Birtherism, Clinton Murder Conspiracies, Millions of Illegals Voting, and Climate Change Denialism with someone who evidently has no interest in an honest debate and is simply interested in trolling me because I earlier challenged him to provide a citation he was never able to supply.

The evidence of those four conspiracy theories being widespread among the GOP is widely available.
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:47 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:45 PM   #69
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Then support it! I get that you have a strong opinion about this; all I’m asking is that you support it. Can you? Will you?
It needs no support, being quite self evident to anyone paying attention.
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:47 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 05:50 PM   #70
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Then support it! I get that you have a strong opinion about this; all I’m asking is that you support it. Can you? Will you?
I will make one exception this time, even though your requests to support it are quite clearly insincere.

Here ya go, educate yourself on this:

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=gop+enabling+trump

Knock yourself out!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:14 PM   #71
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Oof...that’s a really pathetic way to “support” your argument! A google search? Really? johnnykarate was giving me grief for “biased blogs,” I wonder what he would make of that?

Anyway...let’s get this thread straight:

You have made a claim that the modern GOP espouses conspiracy theories on a level not seen in American political history. You didn’t say “some members of the GOP.” You didn’t say, “in modern times.” Your claim is literally, the whole GOP right now is worse than any other party in history. Your “support” for this is, basically, words: birtherism! Clinton murders! Illegal voting!

To be clear, that is you, completely without evidence, ascribing those words to the entire GOP and asserting that no party ever has done stuff like that. Further, you try and divert attention away from your unwillingness (inability?) to source your claims by saying that you don’t need citations because it’s “quite self-evident.” Finally, you cast aspersions on respondents like myself by calling them “dishonest” or “liars.”

No way, pardner; that ain’t the way it works round these here parts. You make a claim; you support it with evidence -not assertions, diversions or aspersions.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:48 PM   #72
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,170
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The Real Reason Republicans Enable Trump
Quote:
Why do Republicans who howl in rage and frustration in private and on background to journalists support and enable Donald Trump? After all, in the words of 2015 Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Trump is a “jackass”, a “kook”, a “bigot”, and is “unfit for office.” The 2015 version of Graham also called Trump a “race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot” who “doesn’t represent” the Republican Party. Graham today is basically Trump’s caddy...

GOP lawmakers may cringe at his tweets, groan at his disregard for the measured dog whistles of yore in favor of full-blown bigotry and racist red meat, and even feel disgusted by him as an utterly depraved human being devoid of a single redeeming trait. But ultimately, when they look at him, they see the tens of millions of Trumps keeping them in office, ecstatic that one of them is president and they can finally show the [ insert plural versions of assorted ethnic and misogynistic slurs here ] who’s in charge. And so they swallow their rage, adjust their ties, put on their best excrement-devouring grins, and go out there to #MAGA.
This is what makes Trump Era Republicans 'Uniquely Bad in American Political History'. Not the lies, but the total abandonment of any principles for the sake of winning at any cost. And while that didn't start with Trump, he completed it. That's what makes Today's GOP uniquely bad. It has sold its soul to populism and will never get it back.

But we shouldn't gloat about it. We should commiserate with all those poor conservatives who have to abandon their principles due to GOP incompetence. It wasn't their fault that the GOP couldn't produce a more popular candidate to counter Trump. What choice did they have? They had to stop that bitch Hillary from destroying the country, and Trump was their only option. Surely the GOP would have replaced him with someone more acceptable by now? But no.

So now they have to defend the indefensible at every turn, or risk being labeled 'Never Trumpers' or worse. And it's getting worse for them. Every insane and stupid thing Trump does just makes their job that much harder. We should spare a thought for our conservative brothers and sisters. Trump may be making it bad for us too, but at least we don't have to worry about being ostracized for daring to speak the truth.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:55 PM   #73
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Oof...that’s a really pathetic way to “support” your argument! A google search? Really? johnnykarate was giving me grief for “biased blogs,” I wonder what he would make of that?
You continue to ignore the fact that my claim is common knowledge. Hell, even my sarcasm slips past you, Swifty.

Quote:
Anyway...let’s get this thread straight:

You have made a claim that the modern GOP espouses conspiracy theories on a level not seen in American political history. You didn’t say “some members of the GOP.” You didn’t say, “in modern times.” Your claim is literally, the whole GOP right now is worse than any other party in history. Your “support” for this is, basically, words: birtherism! Clinton murders! Illegal voting!
Hey, at least get my position correct. I specifically said uniquely bad. I specifically opposed the idea that I am claiming "worse than any other party in history".
Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin


Quote:
To be clear, that is you, completely without evidence, ascribing those words to the entire GOP and asserting that no party ever has done stuff like that. Further, you try and divert attention away from your unwillingness (inability?) to source your claims by saying that you don’t need citations because it’s “quite self-evident.” Finally, you cast aspersions on respondents like myself by calling them “dishonest” or “liars.”
I would dispute your claim of "entire GOP". I never said that, but obviously that never stopped you from putting words in my mouth. I am talking about trends. Yes, I am claiming that the trend among the current GOP is belief in every one of these four conspiracy theories. Hell, you know I am right--You're just too proud to admit it.

Newsflash, bro: Would it surprise you if I told you one of the biggest proponents of the Birtherism conspiracy theory was elected to the office of the Presidency a few years ago? This is what I mean by "common knowledge". If you need to be told any of this you're simply not paying attention. You've already demonstrated a complete lack of ability to engage honestly with me; please explain to me why, in that case, I should waste my time citing stuff that you are already aware of, hmm?


Mod Warning<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Posted By:zooterkin


Quote:
No way, pardner; that ain’t the way it works round these here parts. You make a claim; you support it with evidence -not assertions, diversions or aspersions.
I would agree with you provided I had made a claim of some obscure or dubious nature. As I did not, I continue to scoff at your disingenuous protestations.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd October 2019 at 02:48 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:58 PM   #74
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,628
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Oof...that’s a really pathetic way to “support” your argument! A google search? Really? johnnykarate was giving me grief for “biased blogs,” I wonder what he would make of that?
Honest question: Did you click on any of the links? If not, why not? Never mind, I'll tell you why: You care nothing about the truth of what I say. You simply think you're somehow proving a point by perpetually asking me to cite something that is, in fact, common knowledge.

You continue to waste my time.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 07:58 PM   #75
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9,814
Republicans are especially bad since they have zero Ideology - they have given up on all principles. They themselves don't know what they want beyond more power.
Their game plan is to neutralize the voters to put them in a position where it won't matter what the electorate wants.
Then they'll figure out what to do.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:08 PM   #76
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 13,297
I have exceedingly negative opinions about Trump's Republican party. If there was a way to measure, it wouldn't surprise me if they are uniquely bad.

There isn't a feasible way to measure. The proposition is far too vague. For this reason (among others) this thread is 0% productive and virtually guaranteed to remain so (despite that post 17 is spot on).
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 1st October 2019 at 08:12 PM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:49 PM   #77
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38,387
Dang

Last edited by theprestige; 1st October 2019 at 08:51 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:51 PM   #78
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
You continue to ignore the fact that my claim is common knowledge. Hell, even my sarcasm slips past you, Swifty.
Yeah...sarcasm...that’s the ticket!

Anywho...Christians argue that the existence of God is “common knowledge.” Is that good enough for everyone to accept such a claim? No...no it isn’t. Is “common knowledge” the basis of a sound argument? No...no it isn’t.

You can do the ipse dixit shuffle all you like but I ain’t dancing with you.

Quote:
Hey, at least get my position correct. I specifically said uniquely bad. I specifically opposed the idea that I am claiming "worse than any other party in history". You have a lot of trouble telling the truth, don't you?
What in tarnation is the difference between “uniquely bad” in history and “worse” than any other party in history? There is none. That’s just you trying to obfuscate to wiggle your way out of your ridiculous OP.


Quote:
I would dispute your claim of "entire GOP". I never said that, but obviously that never stopped you from putting words in my mouth. I am talking about trends. Yes, I am claiming that the trend among the current GOP is belief in every one of these four conspiracy theories. Hell, you know I am right--You're just too proud to admit it.
More obfuscation. You said:


Quote:
I've never seen an American political party that so brazenly lies about such easily checked facts
That quite clearly says it’s the whole party. If you don’t like those words in your mouth, you shouldn’t have put them in there in the first place.


Quote:
Newsflash, bro: Would it surprise you if I told you one of the biggest proponents of the Birtherism conspiracy theory was elected to the office of the Presidency a few years ago? This is what I mean by "common knowledge".
That’s one dude, not the whole party. You need to show that the whole party bought into birtherism. And you need find a way to prove this was a uniquely Republican thing. Speaking of common knowledge, it’s well-known that some Democrats bought into this crap too.
Quote:
If you need to be told any of this you're simply not paying attention.
Oh, I’m paying attention, just not your particular brand of selective attention.
Quote:
You've already demonstrated a complete lack of ability to engage honestly with me; please explain to me why, in that case, I should waste my time citing stuff that you are already aware of, hmm?
More aspersions I see.



Quote:
Finally, I actually documented you specifically lying to me. Why is this hard for you to understand? I do not call you a liar because we disagree. I call you a liar because you lied. It really is that simple.
See what I mean, that’s all you’ve got: assertions, diversions and aspersions...all three in that one little paragraph.



Quote:
I would agree with you provided I had made a claim of some obscure or dubious nature. As I did not, I continue to scoff at your disingenuous protestations.
Your claim is dubious and unfounded. Your whole rant is unclear and ever changing.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 08:53 PM   #79
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,317
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Honest question: Did you click on any of the links? If not, why not? Never mind, I'll tell you why: You care nothing about the truth of what I say. You simply think you're somehow proving a point by perpetually asking me to cite something that is, in fact, common knowledge.



You continue to waste my time.


Woah, woah...I thought that link was sarcasm?!
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2019, 10:21 PM   #80
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,749
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You don't have to go that far back. How about the Southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s?
You mean the same Southern Democrats who split with the party over the Civil Right's movement and went on to support Barry Goldwater's Republican run for President and then became a major part of the GOP to the point where the current situation is that the Southern States are now redder than a sunburnt, communist, lobster driving a Ferrari!
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.