ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 5th October 2019, 08:44 AM   #1
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

What has Trump done to “Make America Great Again”

From a Canadian perspective :

This is the guy who stood up in front of a crowd of military personnel on Christmas week and promised them a (non-existent) 10% payraise.

This is the guy who tripled taxes on benefits that were paid out to the survivors of military personnel killed in action.

This is the guy who attempted to hijack the money that the Department If Defence was going to use to repair hurricane damage to base housing, for his fecking wall.

This is the guy who mocks POWs, veterans and their families. Such as Captain Khan’s mother and family he derided

This is the guy who slagged Jim Mattis and tried to change his resignation into a dismissal.

This is the guy who is so jealous of a dead man that his staff asked the Navy to hide the USS McCain during Trump’s fleet visit.

This is the guy who turned the 4th of July into a Soviet-style military parade that not only ate up another chunk of operating funds but guaranteed that a few thousand people had to spend the holiday on duty.

This is the guy who claimed his not getting an STD was somehow equivalent to serving in Vietnam.

This is the guy who sent troops to America’s southern border to protect the USA from thousands of hungry, desperate people who wanted to become Americans.

This is the guy who took the word of that former KGB operative, Russian President Vladimir Putin, over the word of all of our intelligence agencies and our military.

Shall I go on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ShortHaxYT; 5th October 2019 at 09:39 AM.
ShortHaxYT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by ShortHaxYT View Post
From a Canadian perspective :

This is the guy who stood up in front of a crowd of military personnel on Christmas week and promised them a (non-existent) 10% payraise.

This is the guy who tripled taxes on benefits that were paid out to the survivors of military personnel killed in action.

This is the guy who attempted to hijack the money that the Department If Defence was going to use to repair hurricane damage to base housing, for his fecking wall.

This is the guy who mocks POWs, veterans and their families. Such as Captain Khan’s mother and family he derided

This is the guy who slagged Jim Mattis and tried to change his resignation into a dismissal.

This is the guy who is so jealous of a dead man that his staff asked the Navy to hide the USS McCain during Trump’s fleet visit.

This is the guy who turned the 4th of July into a Soviet-style military parade that not only ate up another chunk of operating funds but guaranteed that a few thousand people had to spend the holiday on duty.

This is the guy who claimed his not getting an STD was somehow equivalent to serving in Vietnam.

This is the guy who sent troops to our southern border to protect the USA from thousands of hungry, desperate people who wanted to become Americans.

This is the guy who took the word of that former KGB operative, Russian President Vladimir Putin, over the word of all of our intelligence agencies and our military.

Shall I go on?

Canadian you say? Hmm.....

Last edited by Guybrush Threepwood; 5th October 2019 at 08:56 AM.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 08:55 AM   #3
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Old 5th October 2019, 08:55 AM   #4
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah most Canadians I know don't like to be thought of as the 51st state.

You missed "our southern border"

Last edited by varwoche; 5th October 2019 at 08:57 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Venom
Illuminator

40 percent of the country seems to think it's pretty great.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ShortHaxYT View Post

Yeah, a smiley face isn't your best reply here. You are either:

A) posting the unattributed work of others as your own
B) forgetting what country you live in
C) your autocorrect substitutes 'our' for 'their'
D) inserting a smiley face because you acknowledge you are busted
Old 5th October 2019, 10:39 AM   #7
sackett
Philosopher

Hey, nothing wrong with threads where Troompers can pile in with facts, figures, reasoned conclusions, and, you know, logic.

They'll be here any minute.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with threads where Troompers can pile in with facts, figures, reasoned conclusions, and, you know, logic.

They'll be here any minute.
Why bother? We've had this conversation a million times already. Your contribution hasn't changed at all. I'm pretty sure mine hasn't. We don't need to re-hash it every time someone new discovers it for the first time. Let them read the existing threads, contribute something new if they can.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 11:19 AM   #9
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why bother? We've had this conversation a million times already. Your contribution hasn't changed at all. I'm pretty sure mine hasn't. We don't need to re-hash it every time someone new discovers it for the first time. Let them read the existing threads, contribute something new if they can.
I have no idea what the hell your talking about.

Refresh our memories. How exactly has Trump made America Great? I'm dying to know because on that subject I'm clueless. As you were saying?

Maybe making the deficit "huuuge" is great?
Maybe putting children in cages? Is that great?
How about in how Trump is uniting us?
Showing us that principles are important?
That honesty and truthfulness is something we should all strive for?

Or is it just Republican "good" Democrat "bad"?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.

Last edited by acbytesla; 5th October 2019 at 11:25 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 12:45 PM   #10
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

This is easy: Trump has avoided wearing tan suits.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 11:13 PM   #11
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
This is easy: Trump has avoided wearing tan suits.
and bicycle helmets....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 05:05 AM   #12
Tero
Graduate Poster

Nothing. He made America look stupid and gave a tax cut to the rich and corporations. The corporations hired nobody. People are getting 2 jobs at minimum wage in the service sevtor.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 05:09 AM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Very slowly, for the 50,000th time*

He pissed of the Libs. That's what "Make American Great Again" was always a code word for, something that it seems the Libs are the only ones having trouble understanding.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 11:05 AM   #14
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
What has Trump done to “Make America Great Again”
Falling from greatness would seem to be a pre-requisite for becoming great again, and rump is doing his best on this front.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:10 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Very slowly, for the 50,000th time*

He pissed of the Libs. That's what "Make American Great Again" was always a code word for, something that it seems the Libs are the only ones having trouble understanding.
I thought it was code for getting rid of brown people and putting black people in their place again?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 11:30 AM   #16
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

The biggest "win" I've seen I've consistently seen cited by the conservatives I encounter:

1). Keeping Hillary out of the White House
2). Appointing judges.

I would note that the judges are your run of the mill conservative fodder, just names from the Federalist roster. A Jeb! presidency would probably have selected the same folks.

Trump's biggest "wins" are things that any generic republican POTUS would do.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th October 2019 at 01:16 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 11:38 AM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
40 percent of the country seems to think it's pretty great.
40 percent of the country will support anybody as POTUS who has a "R" after his name.
About the same amount will support anybody as POTUS who has a "D" after his name.
It's the remainng undecideds and swing voters who decide elections.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I thought it was code for getting rid of brown people and putting black people in their place again?
It was - and really it's the only "promise" that he has worked to fulfill.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 12:47 PM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
40 percent of the country will support anybody as POTUS who has a "R" after his name.
About the same amount will support anybody as POTUS who has a "D" after his name.
It's the remainng undecideds and swing voters who decide elections.
Of course the 40% who vote republican are conveniently collected in states that give them disproportionate say in the presidency.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's how I took it, but a little further. 'Let's go back to when all them non-hetero-WASPs knew their place'. Other religions, orientations, religions, etc lumped in there
Old 7th October 2019, 01:11 PM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That's how I took it, but a little further. 'Let's go back to when all them non-hetero-MALE-WASPs knew their place'. Other religions, orientations, religions, etc lumped in there
Fixed it for you
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 01:24 PM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Fixed it for you
Yup, forgot that. Gotta make a note somewhere that the uppity womenfolk are expecting formal recognition nowadays
Old 7th October 2019, 01:39 PM   #23
xjx388
Philosopher

I don’t put much stock in campaign slogans and promises. It’s weird to me that so many people take Trump’s slogan as a promise rather than words strung together to help you remember the candidate.
Old 7th October 2019, 01:39 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

How dare you doubt Dear Leader's Great And Unmatched Wisdom???

Still have problems that he actually said that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 04:23 PM   #25
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

"What has Trump done to “Make America Great Again"

Absolutely nuthin.

I mean, even a stopped clock should be right twice a day but Trump's clock is a powered off digital display. He has not, even incidentally, done anything beneficial to anybody.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 04:35 PM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How dare you doubt Dear Leader's Great And Unmatched Wisdom???

Still have problems that he actually said that.
I think I should go off to Ken White's Twitter and see if he's changed his handle to "GreatandUnmatchedWisdomHat" yet.

ETA: Ok, just "unmatchedwisdomhat". Close enough.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 7th October 2019 at 04:38 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:32 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It's not about past tense, it's about future tense: What will Trump do to "Make America Great Again".

The answer is obvious: Go away. Go FAR away. Moscow looks nice... Let America try to heal.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 08:18 PM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think I should go off to Ken White's Twitter and see if he's changed his handle to "GreatandUnmatchedWisdomHat" yet.

ETA: Ok, just "unmatchedwisdomhat". Close enough.
And he's seething with resentment about it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:33 AM   #29
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump has:
  • Appointed two conservative judges to SCOTUS ensuring that it continues to lean right for a generation
  • Implemented an economic miracle which has yielded the strongest US economy in history
  • Rolled back all kinds of useless regulation which was stifling business
  • Made the US respected AND FEARED globally
  • Won the war against ISIS
  • Won the trade wars against China and the EU
  • Made good progress on building his border wall and has made the US safe from invasion from the South
  • Reversed the attacks on Christians and slowed down anti-Christian discrimination
  • Protected God and the second amendment
  • Ensured that blacks and Hispanics have shared in MAGA
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:26 AM   #30
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He may be the person who finally mobilizes the Hispanic vote in this country, a typically low turn-out population. Democrats have been trying to do that for years.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:39 AM   #31
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He may be the person who finally mobilizes the Hispanic vote in this country, a typically low turn-out population. Democrats have been trying to do that for years.

The Dems could have done it years ago; just get behind one of the many qualified Hispanic Democrats.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:36 PM   #32
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump has:
  • Appointed two conservative judges to SCOTUS ensuring that it continues to lean right for a generation
  • Implemented an economic miracle which has yielded the strongest US economy in history
  • Made good progress on building his border wall and has made the US safe from invasion from the South
  • Reversed the attacks on Christians and slowed down anti-Christian discrimination
Don’t forget that he won the War on Christmas. He is very proud of that.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:37 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know about making America great, but his actions in Syria are making America the country nobody is going to trust as a partner.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:50 PM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to tell if your post is honest or just a satirical comment on Republican talking points.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump has:
  • Yes he did. But that was largely due to McConnell's machinations rather than anything specifically that Trump did.

And one of those appointments was Drunky McRapeface.... who's nomination and confirmation may have played a part in the 'blue wave' that saw the Republicans lose a whole bunch of house seats.
    Quote:
Correct, except where you are completely wrong.

True, unemployment is low. But its been at that level before. And GDP is increasing, but its risen much faster before.

And much of that economic 'miracle' was caused by a tax cut, which has seen the deficit sharply increase.
Quote:
  • You mean the regulations that kept coal companies from polluting waterways with coal ash? Or the regulations that kept banks from gouging customers?

Yeah, good thing we got rid of those.
    Quote:
  • Polling shows that respect for the U.S. has declined in almost all countries since Trump was elected.

https://time.com/5419603/nikki-haley...lobal-respect/

And the U.S. may be feared, but not in a "we must respect them" way, but more in a "they are run by incompetent idiots who may screw up and cause problems".
    Quote:
  • Much of the work there was done by Obama and U.S. allies (such as the Kurds, whom Trump has just thrown under the bus.)

Quote:
  • U.S. trade deficit with China has increased, from $46 billion when Obama left office to $54 billion now.
    Quote:
  • The wall that Mexico that was supposed to pay for, and that he had to raid military spending plans to fund? Not exactly a good thing in my books.

Quote:
  • Except of course that was never a problem.
    Quote:
  • While the rates of black and hispanic unemployment has decreased, they are still higher than the unemployment rates of white people.

And, many of Trump's policies (tariffs on foreign goods, attempts to gut health care) will often cause harm to minority communities.

Oh, and don't forget: he's pushing for voter ID laws, which are basically ways of disenfranchising minority voters.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
    Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
    Old 8th October 2019, 04:00 PM   #35
    slyjoe
    Graduate Poster

I have to believe The Don was being sarcastic. How have you won a trade war that is still going on?
    "You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
    slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
    Old 9th October 2019, 07:20 AM   #36
    P.J. Denyer
    Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
    Don’t forget that he won the War on Christmas. He is very proud of that.
    So he does didn't dodge the draft on that one? Allergy to brussel sprouts or has to walk with a candy cane because his bone spurs are back?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
    P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
    Old 9th October 2019, 07:38 AM   #37
    The Don
    Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
    I have to believe The Don was being sarcastic.
    I was, but I was echoing things that supporters of President Trump have said.

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
    How have you won a trade war that is still going on?
    Because he won, and now he's winning more - in fact he's winning so much that Americans will be sick of winning (certainly the farmers at the sharp end of the trade war are showing signs of being sick of winning - but are still strongly supportive of President Trump).
    The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
    Old 9th October 2019, 11:35 AM   #38
    rockysmith76
    Thinker

Hillary is a demon, Alex Jones said so.
    rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
    Old 9th October 2019, 11:39 AM   #39
    dudalb
    Penultimate Amazing

He just made America look like a nation no one can trust with what is going on in Syria.

Robert Heinlein.
    Old 9th October 2019, 12:09 PM   #40
    rockysmith76
    Thinker

He just made America look like a nation no one can trust with what is going on in Syria.
    And if Hillary isn't joking about running, the selfish hag will give us 4 more years of him.
    rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics