IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 04:43 AM   #3161
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So LAbour may finally have competent leadership, shame its about 2 years too late.
Pretty much my feeling too.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:09 AM   #3162
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And his supporters have taken control of the NEC, meaning he can make the changes he wants without fighting endless battles with the Corbynites, well at least he can make good use of the four more years before he gets a shot at removing Boris from Number 10 and hopefully make a better fist of putting the government on the spot over its practically non-existent Brexit policy.
Old 4th April 2020, 11:59 AM   #3163
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I think Starmer is a good man and honest, I think Corbyn is too fwiw, but I think Starmer is competent, and (depressing as it is that this matters) he looks the part. I want to see him holding Johnson's feet to the fire until the entire Palace of Westminster is choking on the thick oily smoke of his burning soles.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 06:38 PM   #3164
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So LAbour may finally have competent leadership, shame its about 2 years too late.
Did Labo(u)r get a new head screw?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 05:52 AM   #3165
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Thirded

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 06:27 AM   #3166
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

See we donít need the EU https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 6th April 2020, 09:04 AM   #3167
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Utterly unexpected.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 12:19 AM   #3168
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I think Starmer is a good man and honest, I think Corbyn is too fwiw, but I think Starmer is competent, and (depressing as it is that this matters) he looks the part. I want to see him holding Johnson's feet to the fire until the entire Palace of Westminster is choking on the thick oily smoke of his burning soles.
Corbyn might have been, but he likes Milne, who is pretty unsavoury.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:18 AM   #3169
catsmate
No longer the 1

Brexit and Covid-12

From this Reuters piece.

With Brexit done, Johnson had the chance to focus on other matters the following month, among them the emerging virus threat. But leaving the European Union had a consequence.

Between February 13 and March 30, Britain missed a total of eight conference calls or meetings about the coronavirus between EU heads of state or health ministers - meetings that Britain was still entitled to join. Although Britain did later make an arrangement to attend lower-level meetings of officials, it had missed a deadline to participate in a common purchase scheme for ventilators, to which it was invited. Ventilators, vitally important to treating the direst cases of COVID-19, have fallen into short supply globally. Johnsonís spokesman blamed an administrative error.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 05:21 AM   #3170
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
From this Reuters piece.

With Brexit done, Johnson had the chance to focus on other matters the following month, among them the emerging virus threat. But leaving the European Union had a consequence.

Between February 13 and March 30, Britain missed a total of eight conference calls or meetings about the coronavirus between EU heads of state or health ministers - meetings that Britain was still entitled to join. Although Britain did later make an arrangement to attend lower-level meetings of officials, it had missed a deadline to participate in a common purchase scheme for ventilators, to which it was invited. Ventilators, vitally important to treating the direst cases of COVID-19, have fallen into short supply globally. Johnsonís spokesman blamed an administrative error.

Some might say his entire administration is an error.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 01:15 AM   #3171
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Romanians flying into UK today to work on Lincolnshire farms
Farms worried that food will rot in fields hire from Eastern Europe after local recruitment fails

Quote:
Despite an 'excellent response', an appeal for British workers did not provide enough recruits
grimsbytelegraph.co.uk
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 01:25 AM   #3172
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Now we're chartering planes to bring Romanians here to pick our fruit.
That is how desperate Britain is for immigrant workers.
And how dependent we are upon them.
They plan to import 1000 Romanian farm workers but it is way short of the 40,000 needed.
Bear in mind also that the Brits who have signed up for farm work, two thirds of them have never worked on a farm.
This was always going to be an issue after Brexit, pandemic or not.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th April 2020 at 01:28 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 02:45 AM   #3173
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Bear in mind also that the Brits who have signed up for farm work, two thirds of them have never worked on a farm.
I wonder how many who have signed up a) turn up and b) last more than 1 day.
I also wonder how many of those who stumble at those two hurdles have uttered the phrase: "They've never done an honest day's work in their lives."
Old 16th April 2020, 03:34 AM   #3174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Some Tory wonk was on the radio earlier on about how increasing use of 'automation' would mean the need for so many farm workers would be reduced.

That's a help with the harvest in the meantime.
He had no ******* clue.
Maybe he thinks we can just use 3d printers to make strawberries and peas.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:20 AM   #3175
applecorped
Banned

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9#post11349239
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 04:23 AM   #3176
applecorped
Banned

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 04:26 AM   #3177
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

??
Old 16th April 2020, 04:33 AM   #3178
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
??
I presume that applecorped is pointing out that a lot of what is being brought up in this thread is what is currently happening or what has already happened rather than making predictions for the future - and that this has been going on for years.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 11:16 AM   #3179
Mid
Graduate Poster

UK to refuse any Brexit transition because obviously the greatest economic crisis since at least the great depression is the time to seriously damage trade with your closest neighbours:

https://www.ft.com/content/3c006614-...6-97987045517f
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 06:26 PM   #3180
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
From that link:
Quote:
If the court determines that Johnson misled the Queen, that would make his position untenable, according to Dominic Grieve, the former Conservative attorney general.
What does "untenable" mean? He's out as PM? He's lost power and can no longer be effective (is "no longer" too generous?)?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2020, 11:53 PM   #3181
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
UK to refuse any Brexit transition because obviously the greatest economic crisis since at least the great depression is the time to seriously damage trade with your closest neighbours:

Except of course that the UK is the one in the position of strength in the negotiations, and the Coronavirus induced economic crisis merely enhances that position.

Those German car makers are doubtless hammering on Frau Merkel's door insisting that the UK is given tariff and quota free access to the EU market without having to adhere to any of the EU's rules or being subject to the jurisdiction of any EU organisations.

The EU will doubtless announce that they agree to any and all of the UK's terms and furthermore they're very, very sorry for dragging things out and not doing so immediately.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 12:32 AM   #3182
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Except of course that the UK is the one in the position of strength in the negotiations, and the Coronavirus induced economic crisis merely enhances that position.

Those German car makers are doubtless hammering on Frau Merkel's door insisting that the UK is given tariff and quota free access to the EU market without having to adhere to any of the EU's rules or being subject to the jurisdiction of any EU organisations.

The EU will doubtless announce that they agree to any and all of the UK's terms and furthermore they're very, very sorry for dragging things out and not doing so immediately.
Of course! I should have remembered that especially if you include Italian prosecco producers into the list. I was so silly to doubt the government's wisdom and negotiating prowess
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 12:57 AM   #3183
Wudang
BOFH

Don't forget also that without a deal the EU will have no access to our innovative jams.
Old 17th April 2020, 01:26 AM   #3184
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Don't forget also that without a deal the EU will have no access to our innovative jams.

Do you mean the ones on the M20?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 01:37 AM   #3185
Wudang
BOFH

Well played.
Old 17th April 2020, 01:58 AM   #3186
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Originally Posted by Mid View Post

Perhaps the thinking is that the economy is so f***ed up anyway that it can hardly get worse?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 02:00 AM   #3187
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
Perhaps the thinking is that the economy is so f***ed up anyway that it can hardly get worse?
Boris: "Hold my beer."
Old 17th April 2020, 02:18 AM   #3188
erlando
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Yeah, those. You can keep those. No, really. It's ok...

Old 17th April 2020, 02:48 AM   #3189
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Boris: "Hold my beer."
In other news new National Anthem Announced "Abide With Me"

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 03:05 AM   #3190
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
From that link:

What does "untenable" mean? He's out as PM? He's lost power and can no longer be effective (is "no longer" too generous?)?
Untenable means nothing to people like Trump or Boris.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 03:43 AM   #3191
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
If we wait for a time when this forum doesn't think leaving the EU is going to bring ruin to the UK, its going to be a long long wait.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 06:33 AM   #3192
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Untenable means nothing to people like Trump or Boris.

Yeah itís an ancient practice in politics.

I expect many budding historians of the future will really have to try and get their heads around the concept that when caught doing something wrong a politician resigns, it is going to be inconceivable to future generations.
Old 17th April 2020, 07:33 PM   #3193
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

del

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 04:43 AM   #3194
3point14
Pi

Johnsons's paymasters are going to engineer a no deal brexit when all this is over, aren't they?

Austerity, as far as the eye can see...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 05:10 AM   #3195
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Johnsons's paymasters are going to engineer a no deal brexit when all this is over, aren't they?

Austerity, as far as the eye can see...
Yes and all negative consequences that cannot be blamed on the EU can be blamed on Coronavirus
Old 25th April 2020, 05:22 AM   #3196
3point14
Pi

They get to do it all quietly, while nobody's looking. That's a result for them.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:06 AM   #3197
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
In other news new National Anthem Announced "Abide With Me"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2020, 08:47 AM   #3198
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Is that our post Brexit armoured division he's sat in?

Old 25th April 2020, 08:30 PM   #3199
SezMe
post-pre-born

It's the latest incarnation of your mainline battle tank.
Old 26th April 2020, 03:15 AM   #3200
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
It's the latest incarnation of your mainline battle tank.
Oh well, at least it should work now.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics