IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 11:00 PM   #3241
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Wording is sometimes important, remember we weren’t locked out of it, we decided we didn’t want to be part of it.

Are you sure it wasn’t just a communications problem?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 11:04 PM   #3242
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Even if you don't, base 12 has some conveniences. Division by 2, 3, 4 and 6 becomes very easy. Base 10 has easy division by 2 and 5. The former is a more useful set than the latter.

That’s why base 60 is so much better.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 11:04 PM   #3243
EHocking
Philosopher

Wording is sometimes important, remember we weren’t locked out of it, we decided we didn’t want to be part of it.
You say Galileo I say Galilei, as does The Frontier.
"The UK was also blocked from working and bidding on sensitive parts of the system, much to the outrage of politicos taken by surprise at the prospect of not having access to a system into which Blighty had poured funds.

Toys were subsequently flung from the pram and the UK stomped off, clutching its bat and ball and saying, in a wavery playground "Star Trek is better than Star Wars" voice that it would build its own version. So there."
Extract from the EU document (PDF) that caused the dummy spit (my highlight).

F. Space
135. The envisaged partnership should provide for the possibility for the United Kingdom
to have access to the Galileo Public Regulated Service (PRS) through provisions on
PRS in accordance with Union law. Such provisions on PRS should allow the United
Kingdom to secure access to the most resilient service of Galileo for sensitive
applications in the context of Union operations or ad hoc operations involving its Member States.

136. Since access to the development of technologies is excluded, access to the Galileo PRS should be conditional upon:
a) ensuring that the United Kingdom’s use of PRS does not contravene the essential security interests of the Union and its Member States;
b) the United Kingdom participating in the non-security related activities of the Union's Space Programme as foreseen in
Section 2(A) of Part I on participation in Union programmes, unless and until the United Kingdom grants the Union access to the envisaged United Kingdom Global Navigation Satellite System.

G. Development cooperation

137. The envisaged partnership should enable the United Kingdom to contribute to the Union’s instruments and mechanisms in full respect of the autonomy of the Union in the programming of development priorities. The envisaged partnership should promote sustainable development and the eradication of poverty. In this regard, the partnership should provide for the continued support of the Parties for the
implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and European Consensus on Development.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 13th May 2020 at 11:15 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 11:10 PM   #3244
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Paywalled. But I get the idea. Thanks.
Sorry about that - people quoting paywalled articles pisses me off too.
I didn't realise this was restricted to a single hit.

I'm fairly sure this is the article someone has posted on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/brexit/comm...wrangling_and/
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 11:22 PM   #3245
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
There's more to Britain than Norfolk.
“Alex Salmond will be made First Minister for Norwich, so he can get to understand what being ignored by the rest of the country is really like.” (Al Murray)
Old 14th May 2020, 03:32 AM   #3246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Even if you don't, base 12 has some conveniences. Division by 2, 3, 4 and 6 becomes very easy. Base 10 has easy division by 2 and 5. The former is a more useful set than the latter.
I was part of the genration that learnt both as the UK transitioned. I can assure you there was no benefit in the pre decimal systems we had. They were overly complicated, easy to make mistakes and so on.
Old 14th May 2020, 03:59 AM   #3247
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah? And?

I don't see anything inconsistent about that.
Well, the Govt did blame the EU for 'freezing out' the UK when Brexit came along even though it was a regulation the UK insisted on.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 04:01 AM   #3248
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Number 10 claiming this morning that it was always clear there would have to be checks at the border along the Irish Sea.

So they lied back in November?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th May 2020, 04:29 AM   #3249
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Number 10 claiming this morning that it was always clear there would have to be checks at the border along the Irish Sea.

So they lied back in November?
'The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.'
Old 14th May 2020, 10:48 AM   #3250
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
'The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.'
The only bit Orwell got wrong was that Smith should have been working on the Telegraph rather than the Times.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 08:29 AM   #3251
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the Govt did blame the EU for 'freezing out' the UK when Brexit came along even though it was a regulation the UK insisted on.
It was always clear they were lying about customs checks, if you believed obvious lies that’s your fault and no one else’s!
Old 15th May 2020, 09:02 AM   #3252
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"You can't fire me! I quit!"
Old 18th May 2020, 01:48 PM   #3253
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Priti Patel said "We’re ending free movement to open Britain up to the world. It will ensure people can come to our country based on what they have to offer, not where they come from."

Obviously nurses and care workers have nothing to offer.
Old 19th May 2020, 01:31 AM   #3254
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Priti Patel said "We’re ending free movement to open Britain up to the world. It will ensure people can come to our country based on what they have to offer, not where they come from."

It's fine to vote for a party that froze nurses pay and wants to keep them out of the country so long as you go outside and clap for them for a couple of minutes. It's like going to confession on Sunday, what you actually do is forgiven so long as you go tyrough the motions.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 01:38 AM   #3255
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's fine to vote for a party that froze nurses pay and wants to keep them out of the country so long as you go outside and clap for them for a couple of minutes. It's like going to confession on Sunday, what you actually do is forgiven so long as you go tyrough the motions.
It was telling that when Matt Hancock was asked about how the incredibly important and dedicated NHS staff would be rewarded for their sacrifice during the "war against Coronavirus" (all the preceding, my take on the question) he said that they had already received a substantial pay rise.

Of course that ignores the fact that the pay rise in question was supposed to be a "catch up" due to the austerity pay freeze.

NHS personnel only matter when Tory politicians actually require them for medical or publicity reasons
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 02:06 AM   #3256
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Bring back 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound. 21 shillings in a guinea.
Don't knock it.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 02:11 AM   #3257
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The duodecimal system also fits in elegantly with the sexagesimal system. Even geographical coordinates have gone decimal in the belief it is simpler.

Not so!

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 02:12 AM   #3258
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ah ninjaed.

Old 19th May 2020, 02:15 AM   #3259
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Don't knock it.
I can knock it. I remember farthings and half-crowns quite clearly and decimalization. An old penny is worth 0.4 pence and effectively worthless. The facility of having more factors is less obvious when rounding takes the value to 0.
Old 19th May 2020, 02:15 AM   #3260
wobs
Master Poster

There was a source book for the Call of Cthulhu rpg that explained pre decimal coinage in detail. It took about half a page, then finished with the sentence "The British resisted decimalisation on the grounds it was considered too complicated".
You're thinking of a footnote in Good Omens
Old 19th May 2020, 03:11 AM   #3261
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Priti Patel has announced that if you earn under £25,600 you're basically unskilled, a second class citizen and of no value to society.
Old 19th May 2020, 04:05 AM   #3262
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Priti Patel has announced that if you earn under £25,600 you're basically unskilled, a second class citizen and of no value to society.
No-one she knows socially earns that little (unless of course they don't have to work) so that makes sense.

It's a bit of a smack in the face of all those "essential workers" the Conservatives have been asking us to applaud every Thursday. Of course applause costs nothing, it's like giving someone a snappier job title instead of a pay rise
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 04:24 AM   #3263
shuttlt
Philosopher

This view of the world seems to be purely left wing.

If you are only commanding £25,600, society has already passed what ever judgement there may be to pass. By definition the role is not one with a labour shortage and a high demand for the work to be performed. If you are going to have any sort of needs based immigration model, surely people with skills that are not in demand are the people not to bring in. There is no moral judgement about your worth as a person, or your skill level or anything else.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 05:33 AM   #3264
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
You're thinking of a footnote in Good Omens
No, I'm not. there may be a similar footnote there, but I am definitely remembering the section in "Green & Pleasant Land" which I read some time before "Good Omens" was written.

Old 19th May 2020, 05:47 AM   #3265
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post

If you are only commanding £25,600, society has already passed what ever judgement there may be to pass. By definition the role is not one with a labour shortage and a high demand for the work to be performed. If you are going to have any sort of needs based immigration model, surely people with skills that are not in demand are the people not to bring in. There is no moral judgement about your worth as a person, or your skill level or anything else.
Yet they are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52293061
Old 19th May 2020, 10:14 AM   #3266
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Except numeral representation complexity becomes cumbersome in such a large base.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2020, 11:39 AM   #3267
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Except numeral representation complexity becomes cumbersome in such a large base.

That’s OK, it are all belong to us.

Old 19th May 2020, 01:49 PM   #3268
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The duodecimal system also fits in elegantly with the sexagesimal system. Even geographical coordinates have gone decimal in the belief it is simpler.

Not so!

Why is it not so?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 01:38 AM   #3269
Tolls
Philosopher

Quite.
There are plenty of jobs that the employer cannot afford to pay high wages, and the current wages are not sufficient for the local workforce to want to do the job (either by the nature of the job, or how things like benefits work, or a mix).
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 01:56 AM   #3270
shuttlt
Philosopher

They are paying below market rate in the UK. If we want to suppress the wages of low skilled labor in the UK using foreign labour then absolutely this cap is bad.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 02:50 AM   #3271
Tolls
Philosopher

Nope.
They'd go bust if they paid the market rate. Foreign imports (where labour is cheaper) would simply end the business.

That's the problem.

Of course we could always suppress the market rate by removing benefits...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:12 AM   #3272
Wudang
BOFH

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit-a...554452.article
Quote:
There are no official figures for average wage rates, but feedback from the industry suggests the average wage for fruit pickers typically sits at or just above the national living wage (currently £7.50), with opportunities to earn more dependent on hours worked and productivity bonuses.

Laurence Olins, chairman of British Summer Fruits, puts average pay at between £8.50 and £10.00 depending on speed of work, while Steven Munday, CEO of trade body British Apples & Pears, says in his sector it is on average £300 and £350 a week based on 40 hours worked at £7.50 to £9. “Many can earn more by doing up to 60 hours or piece work. We have a good number earning over £500 per week on a 48-hour week,” he adds. Supervisors also earn more.
Note: these guys will want to make it look attractive so pinch of salt.

Quote:
Concerns about how seasonal work affects benefits payments also loom large. “UK workers would lose their social benefits payments whilst working and would need to reapply for them, which is both arduous and time consuming,” says Olins.
The last one rings true. I grew up in a seaside town that relied on seasonal tourism. Locals were reluctant to take summer work as it was indeed " arduous and time consuming" to get back on benefits.
Old 20th May 2020, 05:04 AM   #3273
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I can knock it. I remember farthings and half-crowns quite clearly and decimalization. An old penny is worth 0.4 pence and effectively worthless. The facility of having more factors is less obvious when rounding takes the value to 0.
No need to over-think things.

Jacob Rees-Mogg mentioned standing six feet apart on PMQs. Now we all understand what six feet is without a second thought.

Two metres, and you have to think, ah, two yards or two times three feet, to get the idea.

Six feet is a measure people can immediately visualise, whether it be height of fence, height of man, length of win, or paced steps across a room to calculate apx area.

It is all very simple!

Old 20th May 2020, 05:06 AM   #3274
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why is it not so?
Because you end up with a long string of decimal points!

Imagine if time was decimalised. 12:37 would become a nightmare 12.616666666666.

Last edited by Vixen; 20th May 2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old 20th May 2020, 05:08 AM   #3275
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post

Your salary is not a measure of your worth. There are plenty of highly educated and vocationally qualified people earning less than that.

Old 20th May 2020, 05:17 AM   #3276
shuttlt
Philosopher

Your salary is not a measure of your worth. There are plenty of highly educated and vocationally qualified people earning less than that.
Depends what you mean by "worth". I don't think salary is meant to imply any notion of worth beyond how much people are willing to pay for what ever it is that you are doing.

Last edited by shuttlt; 20th May 2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 20th May 2020, 05:40 AM   #3277
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Jacob Rees-Mogg mentioned standing six feet apart on PMQs. Now we all understand what six feet is without a second thought.

Two metres, and you have to think, ah, two yards or two times three feet, to get the idea.

Six feet is a measure people can immediately visualise, whether it be height of fence, height of man, length of win, or paced steps across a room to calculate apx area.

It is all very simple!
I'm not sure if you're being serious...

..but this is only because you grew up with that scale. If you'd grown up with the metric scale you'd have no problem visualising 2 metres (which is more like 61/2 feet than 6 feet by the way). After all, if you watch athletics I suspect you have absolutely no problem visualising 100m*, 200m or 400m....

*I'd lay odds you don't think "Hmm that looks about 328 feet".
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 05:44 AM   #3278
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I'm not sure if you're being serious...

..but this is only because you grew up with that scale. If you'd grown up with the metric scale you'd have no problem visualising 2 metres (which is more like 61/2 feet than 6 feet by the way). After all, if you watch athletics I suspect you have absolutely no problem visualising 100m*, 200m or 400m....

*I'd lay odds you don't think "Hmm that looks about 328 feet".
I have zero problems calculating the metric scale. Although the four-minute mile sounds so much less romantic when put in metres. Who cares about an odd couple of inches or centimetres when judging social distance?

Old 20th May 2020, 05:54 AM   #3279
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Cuneiform numerals are super simple.

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
If you'd grown up with the metric scale you'd have no problem visualising 2 metres
Visualising any specific distance is quite hard for most people, even if they grew up with learning about them in school.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:07 AM   #3280
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It is all very simple!
Are you a Victorian?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics