IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shroud of turin

Closed Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 10:22 AM   #2001
Jabba
Philosopher

Carbon Dating/Doubts/Repair?/M&P/Entry #2

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
My Dear Mr. Savage:

You, yourself, provided this information.

You, yourself, contacted a reweaving firm, and posted their materials.

You, yourself, even agreed with the material you posted--or, at least, for a time, seemed so to do.

All of which is immaterial in the light of Mme. F-L (who has the expertise you do not) stating unequivocally that "invisible" repairs are plainly visible on the back of the repaired cloth, and that no such repair had been seen on the manifestly medieval linen of the CIQ.

I remain,

Patiently yours &ct.
Slowvehicle,
- I did contact a reweaving firm, discovered that "French Reweave" required using all original material and I posted that information here.
- But also, Pakeha posted the following -- http://www.internationalskeptics.com...67#post8650267. According to the president and owner of the firm, French Reweaving does result in a repair that is invisible to the naked eye, from both sides.
- Unfortunately, that doesn't help my argument any -- unless, the handling while doing the French Reweave would significantly contaminate the area. I assume that it would not -- but, I don't know and will try (amongst other related errands) to contact Joe Marino for his position on that.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 10:26 AM   #2002
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Slowvehicle,
- I did contact a reweaving firm, discovered that "French Reweave" required using all original material and I posted that information here.
- But also, Pakeha posted the following -- http://www.internationalskeptics.com...67#post8650267. According to the president and owner of the firm, French Reweaving does result in a repair that is invisible to the naked eye, from both sides.
- Unfortunately, that doesn't help my argument any -- unless, the handling while doing the French Reweave would significantly contaminate the area. I assume that it would not -- but, I don't know and will try (amongst other related errands) to contact Joe Marino for his position on that.
In other words, because you revile her, you feel free to ignore Mme. F-L's unequivocal statement (and remember, she actually handled the CIQ...).

It is also interesting to note that you missed a set os scare quotes; and that you continue to ignore the fact that the soi dissant "French" reweave could not, by its very nature, affect the 14C date...

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 14th December 2015 at 10:32 AM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 10:41 AM   #2003
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

According to the president and owner of the firm...
You mean according to Marino, a source we agree is unreliable for his misrepresentation of his sources. We don't accept him as a relevant authority, as I explained.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't help my argument any...
No, it doesn't. All it does is draw out this particular point over inferences, when the refutory observation is already on the table.

Quote:
...will try (amongst other related errands) to contact Joe Marino for his position on that.
While you're at it, ask him why he deliberately misrepresented Delorenzi's credentials. You expressed your concern about that. Now would be a good time to hear his excuse.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 11:35 AM   #2004
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tomboy View Post
Apologies to the folks who want Jabba to do his own research. I was curious enough about the specifics of the technique to look for more info for my own knowledge, and then it seemed a waste not to share what I found.
No worries. You can do Jabba's homework if you will. He just can't demand it.

Quote:
*Snip-snip*
Does that make sense, Jabba? French reweaving is invisible only in the sense that it is less visible than other methods of repairing woven fabric.
Exactly, which is why Jabba recently introduced the concept "nearly invisible" reweave, ...... and then proceded to assume that it was not seen by the people who were specifically looking for it.

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 14th December 2015 at 11:41 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 11:40 AM   #2005
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Significantly contaminate, in this context, means adding twice the amount of contaminant than the original cloth, IF the repair was done recently (as in the 20eth century). More if it was earler. That simply does not make sense.

Jabba, this parrot is dead.

Hans
Old 14th December 2015, 03:33 PM   #2006
Jabba
Philosopher

In other words, because you revile her, you feel free to ignore Mme. F-L's unequivocal statement (and remember, she actually handled the CIQ...).

It is also interesting to note that you missed a set os scare quotes; and that you continue to ignore the fact that the soi dissant "French" reweave could not, by its very nature, affect the 14C date...
Slowvehicle,
- I don't ignore her statement. I place it in the "con" pan, and try to give it the weight it deserves. While I accept that her opinion deserves a lot of weight, I just don't give it as much weight as do you. Not yet, at least.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 03:50 PM   #2007
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Slowvehicle,
- I don't ignore her statement. I place it in the "con" pan, and try to give it the weight it deserves. While I accept that her opinion deserves a lot of weight, I just don't give it as much weight as do you. Not yet, at least.
-There are no pans. Only evidence, or in your case, a complete lack thereof.

-Effective debate® has failed.

-One respondent at a time has failed.

-The scales® analogy has failed.

-All you can do now is back your assertions with actual evidence.

-Anything you do that is not presenting evidence can be dismissed as a stalling tactic.

-Make with the *********** evidence already.

-Your clothes. Give them to me. Now
Old 14th December 2015, 03:53 PM   #2008
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Slowvehicle,
My Dear Mr. Savage:

You have not the expertise to pretend to equate Mme. F-L's exhaustive examination of the actual CIQ with M&P's second-hand conjectures about "...some patching" that they have invented to explain the "wrong" date.

You claim not to be ignoring it; you are certainly dismissing it.

Observation can produce evidence. Conjecture does not.

Did you miss the part where a "French" reweave is "smaller than a dime"?

I continue to remain,

patiently yours, &ct.

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 14th December 2015 at 03:57 PM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 04:43 PM   #2009
Monza
Alta Viro

Slowvehicle,
Just out of curiosity, how does the weight of Mme. F-L's statement compare with that of Ray Rogers'?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 06:05 PM   #2010
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

My Dear Mr. Savage:

You have not the expertise to pretend to equate Mme. F-L's exhaustive examination of the actual CIQ with M&P's second-hand conjectures about "...some patching" that they have invented to explain the "wrong" date.

You claim not to be ignoring it; you are certainly dismissing it.

Observation can produce evidence. Conjecture does not.

Did you miss the part where a "French" reweave is "smaller than a dime"?
BTW, what do all these sources say about the effect that a French re-weave will have on non-visible "banding patterns"?

I propose that it would be as obvious as could be. Even if not, it would certainly cause a disruption.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 06:06 PM   #2011
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Slowvehicle,
That's just a fancy way of saying you're ignoring her in favor of your preferred conjecture. Amen to any hope of consilience therefore on this point. Move on.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 06:17 PM   #2012
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Slowvehicle,
You misquoted her and use every measly, miserable excuse to ignore her educated opinion that you can muster.

That seems to be true for every other informed opinion on the CIQ that doesn't support your magical beliefs.

ETA: Before you ask: I will not go back and look-up your own contradictory statements, and admissions of rhetorical and intellectual bankruptcy.

Last edited by John Jones; 14th December 2015 at 07:34 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 06:42 PM   #2013
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Slowvehicle,
At this point, what is there to suggest that this cloth is what you want it to be?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 02:01 AM   #2014
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Jabba needs to get himself a set of scales, put a pound of lead in the "con" side and then see how many weightless things he has to add the "pro" side before the scales tip in his favour. Sourcing weightless things should be easy, he just has to imagine them and then pretend to carefully place them in the pan. He can then stand back, make a note of the results (as opposed to his normal research methodology, which is to assume whatever it is he's done supports his conclusion) and repeat. Ad infinitum.
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 04:10 AM   #2015
catsmate
No longer the 1

[quote=Jabba;11029960
- Unfortunately, that doesn't help my argument any -- unless, the handling while doing the French Reweave would significantly contaminate the area. I assume that it would not -- but, I don't know and will try (amongst other related errands) to contact Joe Marino for his position on that.[/QUOTE]
We're still waiting for you to come up with a "contamination" that would survive the cleansing processes used prior to the radio carbon dating.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 05:09 AM   #2016
Jabba
Philosopher

Apologies to the folks who want Jabba to do his own research. I was curious enough about the specifics of the technique to look for more info for my own knowledge, and then it seemed a waste not to share what I found.

Disclaimer: I’m a mediocre knitter, an abysmal seamstress and haven’t woven anything other than a placemat on a plastic loom when I was 6, so I welcome any corrections if my understanding of what I read is mistaken.

Hi Jabba,

In looking for more information about the French reweaving technique, I found this document with detailed instructions about the process. It has several images that may help you understand why a repair done using this technique will still be visible if one knows what to look for, even though it’s described as being an invisible repair technique.

Before we get to images, go to page 22 of the book (page 24 of the pdf) and read the text under the header The Problem of Extra Thickness.

Note the use of the word “inconspicuous” rather than “invisible”.

If you scroll down to page 23 of the book (page 25 of the pdf), there’s Visualgram No. 6 at the top. That image shows how to begin the repair by starting the reweave several threads away from where the damaged area is. The reweave needs to overlap undamaged areas of the fabric to secure it. That’s the sort of thing that will make the end result visible.

Scroll down to the next page, page 24 of the book (page 26 of the pdf) and at the bottom of that page is Visualgram No. 7. As the caption under that photo explains, the ends of the broken thread are visible, the thread that goes all the way across is the replacement thread, and the area where there are two threads side by side is the join that anchors the repaired area in place.

Pages 26 and 27 of the book (pages 27 and 28 of the pdf) have Visualgram Nos. 8 and 9, demonstrating how the joins are staggered. Again, the rows where there are two threads overlapping are highly visible compared to the other single thread areas.

Finally, the loose ends of the broken threads need to be trimmed and the instructions for that are on page 30 of the book (32 of the pdf). The first and third paragraphs under Visualgraph No. 10 instruct that if the ends of the trimmed threads are visible on the right side of the fabric, they should be pushed through to the back. Those thread ends won’t be seen on the right side of the fabric at that point, but they will be visible from the back side of the fabric.

Regardless of the type of thread or the style of weave, these are the basic steps. There’s going to be some overlapping of threads and some ends that poke through to the reverse side. For a very fine weave using very fine threads, the overlap may indeed be invisible to the naked eye, from the right side at least. The Shroud of Turin, however, is not a fabric woven with what would be considered fine thread by today’s standards.

Front and back images (original source here, pages 4-5) showing the thread and weave pattern of the Shroud of Turin. Please note that individual threads are very easily visible at 1:1 magnification (that is, with no magnification at all) and it would be very obvious if any of those threads were overlapping or doubled up as would be necessary for the French reweaving technique, or if any of the broken ends had been pushed through to the reverse side.

Does that make sense, Jabba? French reweaving is invisible only in the sense that it is less visible than other methods of repairing woven fabric.
Tomboy,
- Thanks. What you're saying sounds right, and like Mr. Ehrlich was overstating his case...
- What are your thoughts on the claims of others re past tampering with that corner? You've probably told me already, but I can't remember.
Old 15th December 2015, 05:17 AM   #2017
Mojo
Mostly harmless

- What are your thoughts on the claims of others re past tampering with that corner?

Do you have any evidence that such "tampering" actually took place?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 05:51 AM   #2018
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Forget anything that bursts your cherished fantasies. What a blissful existence.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 05:54 AM   #2019
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Do you have any evidence that such "tampering" actually took place?
It's more "weightless" evidence in the pro-pan
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 05:56 AM   #2020
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Tomboy,
- What are your thoughts on the claims of others re past tampering with that corner? You've probably told me already, but I can't remember.
They appear to be unevidenced claims made by confirmed sindonists like yourself.
Old 15th December 2015, 06:28 AM   #2021
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Slowvehicle,
Don't know where you got that from:

Originally Posted by withoutatrace
The repair is virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding fabric
The repair is only "virtually indistinguishable", and only with the naked eye. The Turin Shroud was subjected to far more detailed scrutiny.

Even so, French Reweaving requires the use of the original thread and so wouldn't have an impact on the dating.

edited to add....

https://www.withoutatrace.com/reweaving/french-weaving/

Last edited by The Don; 15th December 2015 at 06:31 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 06:46 AM   #2022
Belz...
Fiend God

- I don't ignore her statement. I place it in the "con" pan, and try to give it the weight it deserves.
In other words, you're ignoring it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 07:45 AM   #2023
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What you're saying sounds right, and like Mr. Ehrlich was overstating his case...
Or, as we've discovered is quite likely, your trusted-but-untrustworthy authors Marino and Prior overstated their case. Will you therefore drop the point and move on? Will you finally present some justification for relying so heavily on such patently shoddy scholarship?

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the claims of others re past tampering with that corner? You've probably told me already, but I can't remember.
If you want people to consider "the claims of others," you need to present evidence that the claims are worth considering. That means more than simply presenting what your sole source represents them as saying. And broadening the search area with no justification to do so is just the same handwaving nonsense Marino and Prior did to suggest that the features noted by Raes in one place must translate to late patches in a different place. That's not proof. It's just wishful thinking.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:02 AM   #2024
Tomboy
Critical Thinker

Tomboy,
- Thanks. What you're saying sounds right, and like Mr. Ehrlich was overstating his case...
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
If you want people to consider "the claims of others," you need to present evidence that the claims are worth considering. That means more than simply presenting what your sole source represents them as saying. And broadening the search area with no justification to do so is just the same handwaving nonsense Marino and Prior did to suggest that the features noted by Raes in one place must translate to late patches in a different place. That's not proof. It's just wishful thinking.
This, Jabba. There's no evidence of tampering in that corner. If you have evidence of tampering, please present it.
Tomboy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 08:33 AM   #2025
Jabba
Philosopher

This, Jabba. There's no evidence of tampering in that corner. If you have evidence of tampering, please present it.
Tomboy,
- So far, I don't agree with why others don't count Entry#2 as evidence. Is your explanation the same as theirs?
- Whatever, I'll go back and rethink their explanations.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:47 AM   #2026
Belz...
Fiend God

Tomboy,
- So far, I don't agree with why others don't count Entry#2 as evidence. Is your explanation the same as theirs?
It's Groundhog Day!!!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 08:59 AM   #2027
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Tomboy,
Because it's the opinions of someone speculating outside his field of expertise, and is directly contradicted by an expert in the field who was there and actually examined the CIQ in situ.

But don't let things like facts and expertise get in the way of your religion.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:07 AM   #2028
Monza
Alta Viro

Tomboy,

Congratulations, Tomboy, on your selection as Jabba's current Least Skeptical Poster. It is not a permanent position, but it is an important one. I wish you luck over the next few days and hope you can help move this thread forward. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. Godspeed.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 09:28 AM   #2029
Jabba
Philosopher

- According to Jay, observation "trumps" inference.
- I would point out that this word doesn't really apply -- and confuses the issue -- when we're considering "preponderance of evidence."
- Do I need to explain?
Old 15th December 2015, 09:31 AM   #2030
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

- I would point out that this word doesn't really apply -- and confuses the issue -- when we're considering "preponderance of evidence."
- Do I need to explain?
Well, there is no inference, only unfounded conjecture, as opposed to expert observation.

The sample that was carbon-dated is not patched. Even if it were, the patching threads would have been from the same material, and any contamination from the patching process would have been insufficient to affect the date and would anyway have been removed by the cleaning process.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 09:32 AM   #2031
Belz...
Fiend God

- Do I need to explain?
Aren't you tired of going around in circles when you could just say that the Shroud is science-proof magic and get on with your life?

Old 15th December 2015, 09:39 AM   #2032
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

So far, I don't agree with why others don't count Entry#2 as evidence.
But you don't address their arguments. You simply reiterate that you'd like to keep believing in what you've been claiming. Disagreement without a rational explanation is just intransigence.

Address these points and then maybe your denial might have a rational basis.

1. The operant conclusion is a speculative inference without support.

2. The inference is drawn by Marino and Prior, who are not experts, not by the cited authority.

3. The inference is one of several possible antecedents; you consider only it.

4. The consequent is directly refuted by competent expertise.

5. The rationale from speculative inference to consequent is contravened by pertinent testimony which the authors misrepresent.

Quote:
Whatever, I'll go back and rethink their explanations.
Unless you plan on actually addressing any of those explanations with anything more potent than denial and doubt, you're just proposing another spin of the hamster wheel. This would tend to confirm the criticism that you don't intend to have a serious discussion.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:47 AM   #2033
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It certainly does apply, especially because your "inferences" are based on circular logic. You are inferring the existence of patching from the fact that the carbon dating gives what you consider to be the wrong date, and then trying to use this inference as evidence that the carbon dating is wrong.

Inferences may be useful if they are based on relevant observations, but none of your speculations about invisible, near invisible, or otherwise undetected and undocumented repairs are based on anything beyond your fervent desire to discount the carbon dating. They are not evidence.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 09:48 AM   #2034
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

The opinion of an expert is completely useless. This is not a court of law. This is science. You have no evidence. You lost.

Seriously, Jabba. Answer this:

How can you have a preponderance of evidence if you have no evidence at all? The entire idea is utterly absurd.

Last edited by Maurice Ledifficile; 15th December 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Maurice Ledifficile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 09:49 AM   #2035
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

- Do I need to explain?
My Dear Mr. Savage:

You do not need to "explain" your hope that you can avoid facing reality by pretending that this is a "trial", and that the proper standard is "preponderance of the evidence" (neither of which, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly) is correct.

On the one hand, you have two renown fabric authorities, who examined the CIQ in situ and found not a skerrick of evidence for any "...patching".

On the other hand, you have a group of committed sidonists, who, needing to explain away the "wrong" date provided by the most observed bit of 14C dating ever, have conjectured that there "may have been" "...some patching", without ever once finding any actual evidence that such exists.

There is no evidence, none, of the "...patching" you need to shore up your faith.

Trough it all, I remain,

Patiently yours, &ct.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:53 AM   #2036
Belz...
Fiend God

But you don't address their arguments. You simply reiterate that you'd like to keep believing in what you've been claiming. Disagreement without a rational explanation is just intransigence.

Address these points and then maybe your denial might have a rational basis.

1. The operant conclusion is a speculative inference without support.

2. The inference is drawn by Marino and Prior, who are not experts, not by the cited authority.

3. The inference is one of several possible antecedents; you consider only it.

4. The consequent is directly refuted by competent expertise.

5. The rationale from speculative inference to consequent is contravened by pertinent testimony which the authors misrepresent.
Sorry, Jay. Jabba only addresses the first q/c in a post, which in your case is:

Quote:
But you don't address their arguments.
Which is an insult, I'm sure, leaving him free to ignore everything.

Old 15th December 2015, 09:53 AM   #2037
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

According to Jay, observation "trumps" inference.
And I explained in detail which was the inference and which was the observation and why each merits the label I applied. Do not pretend I said or implied otherwise. Do not pretend my statement "somehow" defends your argument.

Quote:
I would point out that this word doesn't really apply -- and confuses the issue
No, do not resort to word games. The words mean what I say they do, and they convey the appropriate meanings in my argument.

Quote:
when we're considering "preponderance of evidence."
You have no evidence. You are pitting conjecture against observation. You are pitting inference against observation. You have absurdly tried to excuse your lack of evidence with the further speculation that it's invisible. That's just silly.

Quote:
Do I need to explain?
Yes. And you need to explain it in a way that doesn't try to redefine words. That's just another way to shift the goalposts.
Old 15th December 2015, 10:09 AM   #2038
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Inferences may be useful...
Inferences are required in logic. Deductive inferences are deductively strong, which means they are guaranteed to express truth in a syllogism of validating form, based on true premises. Inductive inferences become stronger the narrower the inductive gap is. But direct observation of the veracity of the consequent makes the inductive gap irrelevant, because it makes induction irrelevant.

When I say observation trumps inference, I mean that observation renders inductive reasoning moot.

Quote:
[N]one of your speculations about invisible, near invisible, or otherwise undetected and undocumented repairs are based on anything beyond your fervent desire to discount the carbon dating. They are not evidence.
They're not even really inference. They're pretty much just pure conjecture. "I see this and I speculate that this cause produced them." If that speculation were based in any way upon fact or defensible chains of causation, that would be worth paying attention to. That would be an inference worth exploring. But when it's just pure, circular attribution then it has no value whatsoever. The inductive gap in such a situation is infinitely wide.
Old 15th December 2015, 10:26 AM   #2039
Mojo
Mostly harmless

They're not even really inference. They're pretty much just pure conjecture. "I see this and I speculate that this cause produced them." If that speculation were based in any way upon fact or defensible chains of causation, that would be worth paying attention to. That would be an inference worth exploring. But when it's just pure, circular attribution then it has no value whatsoever. The inductive gap in such a situation is infinitely wide.

The only actual inference Jabba is making is that the carbon dating must be wrong because the shroud is authentic. All the speculation about undetected patches and repairs is just an attempt to come up with justifications for this.

Old 15th December 2015, 10:46 AM   #2040
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The only actual inference Jabba is making is that the carbon dating must be wrong because the shroud is authentic.
Yes, this is apparent. But his trusted-but-untrustworthy authors Marino and Prior make inferences of their own. That is, in logical function they are inferences. In plain terms, they are also pure conjecture.

In a similar circularity, they note that Raes and others say they found foreign material. From this they infer there "must" have been a patch. This is an attempt at inductive reasoning. As you remember from basic instruction, induction means to reason from specific to general. In practice this means reasoning from bits of information toward an overall conclusion, if possible. In court, a jury is asked to reason from disconnected bits of testimony etc. presented to them to a general determination of guilt. They are asked to infer guilt from a collection of noted items and attestations. Reasonable doubt is the standard for measuring the remaining inductive gap in that context.

But here it's pure speculation, based on very shaky claims and obvious problems with things such as chain of custody and standards of review. And thus is has no probative value.

It has even less value when observation contradicts the general conclusion toward which someone is trying to reason inductively. We infer inductively when we cannot observe the outcome. It's typically the best we can do under real world circumstances. We cannot rewind the clock and magically observe a crime being re-committed. Hence we do our best to infer fairly and reasonably. However in this case we can observe whether or not there's a relevant patch. And when we can, induction is moot. It simply doesn't matter what an inductive case concludes when the real conclusion can simply be observed.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy