IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:45 AM   #1
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Southern Baptists: religious sect, a sect of the Republican party or just racist?

Russell Moore is the head of the Southern Baptist Convention's "Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission," a very powerful position in theSBC and effectively the SBC's public spokesman. He's a good Fundamentalist Christian, and adamantly opposes abortion and gay marriage, and is a card-carrying bible-inerrantist YEC. More or less, what you'd expect for a gung-ho bigwig in a hardcore fundamentalist relgion.

But not quite. See, not all Southern Baptists are happy with him, because of his "liberal" bent. Not religiously liberal, mind you, but consider these objections:
1) he has actively opposed building a wall to prevent the entry of illegal immigrants, and has, can you believe it, advocated for immigration reform to allow a path toward legal status
2) he supported removing the Confederate flag at the South Carolina capitol
3) he supported the allowing of Syrian immigrants
4) he doesn't support Donald Trump

Seriously, these are the objections being leveled against the guy who is the spokesman for the SBC.

The question is, what does any of this have to do with the teachings of Christianity? Where is the biblical basis? Oh sure, these are totally consistent with the positions of the Republican party, and are strongly grounded in racism, but it's hard to see what it has to do with Christianity.

It's like they have decided that the SBC needs to be a voice for the Republican party, as opposed to a voice for Jesus.

Or maybe they are just a bunch of racists...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 07:55 AM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

What about all three?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 04:19 PM   #3
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Russell Moore is the head of the Southern Baptist Convention's "Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission," a very powerful position in theSBC and effectively the SBC's public spokesman. He's a good Fundamentalist Christian, and adamantly opposes abortion and gay marriage, and is a card-carrying bible-inerrantist YEC. More or less, what you'd expect for a gung-ho bigwig in a hardcore fundamentalist relgion.

But not quite. See, not all Southern Baptists are happy with him, because of his "liberal" bent. Not religiously liberal, mind you, but consider these objections:
1) he has actively opposed building a wall to prevent the entry of illegal immigrants, and has, can you believe it, advocated for immigration reform to allow a path toward legal status
2) he supported removing the Confederate flag at the South Carolina capitol
3) he supported the allowing of Syrian immigrants
4) he doesn't support Donald Trump

Seriously, these are the objections being leveled against the guy who is the spokesman for the SBC.

The question is, what does any of this have to do with the teachings of Christianity? Where is the biblical basis? Oh sure, these are totally consistent with the positions of the Republican party, and are strongly grounded in racism, but it's hard to see what it has to do with Christianity.

It's like they have decided that the SBC needs to be a voice for the Republican party, as opposed to a voice for Jesus.

Or maybe they are just a bunch of racists...
The headline would give the obviously misleading impression that you are sweeping the entire Organization (which would presumably include both the very guy they are complaining about and his supporters) into the same sweeping generalization, which of course you are not doing because that would be crazy.

A better headline? Do some Southern Baptists think it is a religious sect, a sect of the Republican party or are they just racist?

Hell, i think we can all conclude that some of them are all three!

Question answered, thread closed....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They're religious, they're racists, they're Republicans...

and some of them, I assume, are good people.
Old 4th February 2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
What about all three?
Yes. My cousins are, the more moderate ones anyway, MoBaps. The best of them can be dangerous in a casual, "Gotta kill ya, not personal, you just might take my parking place some day" fashion.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2016, 04:59 PM   #6
mikado
Graduate Poster

what do the bad ones do? what do they make of you???
Old 4th February 2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
what do the bad ones do? what do they make of you???
The dark end of the gene pool there is where you find the Oath Keepers, Kluxers, snake handlers, etc. They don't like me, but they're afraid of me too, so we live worlds apart and a county away.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2016, 10:59 AM   #8
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

And some of them want to Mount Russ Moore's head on the wall.
Old 9th February 2016, 12:24 PM   #9
fuelair
Banned

Never assume: it makes an ass of u and me!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2016, 12:26 PM   #10
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Mount RussMoore has a presidential sound to it!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2016, 12:28 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Never assume: it makes an ass of u and me!!!!
Did nobody notice it was a slightly altered quote from The Donald's announcement speech?
Old 9th February 2016, 10:22 PM   #12
fuelair
Banned

Did nobody notice it was a slightly altered quote from The Donald's announcement speech?
I did not, I just listen to orange hair when I need a quick laugh.
Old 14th February 2016, 11:10 PM   #13
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

I always thought they were a bunch of overbearing trolls, personally.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy