IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shroud of turin

Closed Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 03:33 AM   #1761
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
...I hope this is not odd topic, but I will be offline for most of the day, at part II of my TESOL workshop.

I'll check in this evening to catch up on any progress made.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 04:36 AM   #1762
Jabba
Philosopher

Evidence/Repair/Consilience

- I'm going to switch over to considering the entries to M&P's Addendum for significant evidence-- something I should have done before. In their addendum, they don't even include the Delorenzi impression.

http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/addendum.pdf
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 04:39 AM   #1763
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
- I'm going to switch over to considering the entries to M&P's Addendum for significant evidence
Why?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 05:54 AM   #1764
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

- I'm going to switch over to considering the entries to M&P's Addendum for significant evidence-- something I should have done before. In their addendum, they don't even include the Delorenzi impression.

Unless I missed it, there's not a word in that addendum that supports the authenticity of the CIQ.

When are you ever going to learn that attacking the 14C dating is not enough to establish authenticity?
Old 1st December 2015, 06:06 AM   #1765
Belz...
Fiend God

There's no point, Jabba. You have already lost. If you had any evidence for the authenticity of the Shroud or any argument that put into doubt the C14 dating, you would've presented it already. The only you have is insinuation, slander and "possibilities".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 07:44 AM   #1766
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

- I'm going to switch over to considering the entries...
You based your argument for consilience on those "entries." If you are abandoning that now then you abandon your argument for consilience. You were told in no uncertain terms that such an argument could not hold without individualized examination of the lines of evidence. Therefore by your unwillingness to continue, you have conceded that argument.

Quote:
...to M&P's Addendum for significant evidence-- something I should have done before.
The addendum is not original work by Marino and Prior. As with the document you've abandoned, it is a list of references to other published works. Since it has been observed by others and admitted by you that Marino and Prior did not represent their sources honestly and fairly in their other document, the question arises whether they have done so here.

Hence the question to you is how many of those original sources have you read? Later I will list them by name and I will ask you, for each book or publication on the list, to indicate whether you have actually read it. When we are suitably assured that you are not simply once again credulously reporting third hand, then we can consider your request to change horses.

Naturally if you intend to represent that this new document provides a consilient view of the available evidence, as before, then just as naturally you will be required to address each item in turn, in isolation. If you intend to represent the reported work as expert testimony, then we will judge it according to the established criteria and decide whether it qualifies and how credible it is. You will be expected to be familiar with those criteria and to be willing and able to satisfy them.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 09:06 AM   #1767
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Unless I missed it, there's not a word in that addendum that supports the authenticity of the CIQ.

When are you ever going to learn that attacking the 14C dating is not enough to establish authenticity?
No matter how many times this is pointed out to him, Jabba still seems to think that the C14 dating is the only reason why we don't accept his authenticity claim. Unless and until he presents positive evidence in favor of authenticity there's no reason to consider it. So far he's tried "blood" and "scientists can't recreate it" as evidence but both have been demolished for a variety of reasons.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 09:20 AM   #1768
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If he wants to make an affirmative claim that the cloth is the burial shroud of Jesus, then he still has to account for contrary evidence. That means he can't avoid the 14C evidence. So his present activity is not inappropriate. But it is absolutely correct that refuting that evidence does not establish authenticity. At best it would show that the cloth is slightly less likely to be a medieval forgery.

Jabba has said he is not aiming to prove the cloth is authentic. He says he's just "weighing evidence." In order to do that, he would have to provide evidence to weigh. Right now the only actual evidence comes down unanimously on the side of the cloth being a forgery.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 09:44 AM   #1769
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Jabba has said he is not aiming to prove the cloth is authentic. He says he's just "weighing evidence."
Yeah, we know that's BS. He definitely IS aiming to show that it's authentic. The rest is just obfuscation because he knows he's in over his head.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 09:49 AM   #1770
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

If he wants to make an affirmative claim that the cloth is the burial shroud of Jesus, then he still has to account for contrary evidence. That means he can't avoid the 14C evidence. So his present activity is not inappropriate. But it is absolutely correct that refuting that evidence does not establish authenticity. At best it would show that the cloth is slightly less likely to be a medieval forgery.

Jabba has said he is not aiming to prove the cloth is authentic. He says he's just "weighing evidence."
Like any woo-slinger is Just Asking Questions when they know they don't have enough evidence to support an affirmative claim of their favorite woo.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:02 AM   #1771
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, we know that's BS. He definitely IS aiming to show that it's authentic. The rest is just obfuscation because he knows he's in over his head.
Oh sure, I never believed his claim. I want to make clear that none of this posturing relieves him. Undermining a refutation doesn't prove the affirmative claim that was refuted. Weighing evidence is pointless if you have no evidence. Factor in the cherry-picking of this debate for rosy presentation at his own site, and you have the classic pattern of the fringe claimant: do everything one can to create the illusion of having survived rigorous examination without actually undergoing it.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:06 AM   #1772
jond
Illuminator

Jabba has said he is not aiming to prove the cloth is authentic. He says he's just "weighing evidence." In order to do that, he would have to provide evidence to weigh. Right now the only actual evidence comes down unanimously on the side of the cloth being a forgery.
Well, he needs to provides some evidence in favor of authenticity if he wants to weigh the evidence. He's certainly been given ample opportunity to do so.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 10:24 AM   #1773
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Oh sure, I never believed his claim. I want to make clear that none of this posturing relieves him. Undermining a refutation doesn't prove the affirmative claim that was refuted. Weighing evidence is pointless if you have no evidence. Factor in the cherry-picking of this debate for rosy presentation at his own site, and you have the classic pattern of the fringe claimant: do everything one can to create the illusion of having survived rigorous examination without actually undergoing it.
Just so you know, Jabba has tried to demonstrate the authenticity of the CIQ by claiming that Walter McCrone was difficult to work with. I only wish I were making this up.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:34 AM   #1774
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Just so you know, Jabba has tried to demonstrate the authenticity of the CIQ by claiming that Walter McCrone was difficult to work with. I only wish I were making this up.
I know you aren't. I've been over the previous threads, and I'm not in a hurry to revisit prior claims. For now, Jabba seems to think casting aspersions on 14C findings is what he wants to do. It's necessary, as I outline above, but by no means probative -- especially of authenticity. A claim of authenticity fails by contradiction according to the carbon dating. A claim of authenticity fails by starvation if it lacks any affirmative proof.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:39 AM   #1775
jond
Illuminator

If you want to see why everyone's patience is at an end:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post10772681

Agatha created a chart which was, unsurprisingly, ignored. He could have easily added some points into the chart, and subsequent lists to give some evidence in favor of authenticity, but he has ignored every request. Every attempt at discussion with him proved futile.
Old 1st December 2015, 11:02 AM   #1776
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Jabba, here are the sources cited by Marino and Prior in the document ("Addendum") you say you wish to consider in lieu of their previous work which you have now abandoned. The Addendum consists of excerpts from these works, accompanied by the authors' comments, interpretations, and other arguments. We do not accept Marino and Prior as faithful reporters, for reasons we have already given and with which you explicitly agreed. Therefore if you are going to use their summaries and excerpts, we require you to be familiar yourself with their source material in order to rule out such unfair usage as has been seen in your authors' other pertinent work. Therefore for each source in this list, please indicate to what extent you have read it. Please do this before using the Addendum in any further argument.

Gove, H. Relic, Icon or Hoax: Carbon Dating the Turin Shroud.
Kersten, H., Gruber, E. The Jesus Conspiracy: The Turin Shroud and the Truth about the Resurrection.
Meacham, W. The Rape of the Turin Shroud: How Christianity’s Most Precious Relic Was Wrongly Condemned and Violated.
Rogers, R. A Chemist’s Perspective on the Shroud of Turin.

If you plan to cite items in the Addendum as expert testimony, then the source material becomes subject to the criteria needed to establish testimony as expert. This will require, for each citation, an affirmative underlayment of suitable foundation, including but not limited to: field of expertise of the cited authority, access of the cited authority to appropriate data, basis of the authority's statement in enumerable and particularized evidence, nature of the statement, and concordance among similarly qualified authorities. Do you agree those are reasonable expectations?
Old 1st December 2015, 11:05 AM   #1777
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jond View Post
If you want to see why everyone's patience is at an end...
Indeed I would lose patience too. As Zooterkin noted, I'm a new poster in this topic, although not new to the larger debate. As such I have no need or desire to rehash previous tired claims. I'm looking at Jabba's claims in the here and now. As you can see, I'm perfectly willing to apply the larger perspective to see where the here-and-now fits. But replaying prior debate is neither necessary nor useful. Jabba's reputation is well established.
Old 1st December 2015, 11:18 AM   #1778
jond
Illuminator

Indeed I would lose patience too. As Zooterkin noted, I'm a new poster in this topic, although not new to the larger debate. As such I have no need or desire to rehash previous tired claims. I'm looking at Jabba's claims in the here and now. As you can see, I'm perfectly willing to apply the larger perspective to see where the here-and-now fits. But replaying prior debate is neither necessary nor useful. Jabba's reputation is well established.
Missing all the fun, you will be.
Old 1st December 2015, 11:26 AM   #1779
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Missing all the fun, you will be.
I know, I know. But as a long-time poster in many other threads, I'm very sensitive to endless resets and recycles. In fact, a few other contributors at ISF have as their signature quotes something I said to the effect that the aim of fringe claimants is not to achieve any sort of resolution to their claims, but to spin the debate endlessly. I'm sure no one is more acutely aware of that than those who have engaged Jabba over the past few years.
Old 1st December 2015, 01:19 PM   #1780
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I know, I know. But as a long-time poster in many other threads, I'm very sensitive to endless resets and recycles. In fact, a few other contributors at ISF have as their signature quotes something I said to the effect that the aim of fringe claimants is not to achieve any sort of resolution to their claims, but to spin the debate endlessly. I'm sure no one is more acutely aware of that than those who have engaged Jabba over the past few years.
IIRC, I paraphrased that back up thread, a turn of phrase for which I will be ever grateful to you.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 02:19 PM   #1781
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I know you aren't. I've been over the previous threads, and I'm not in a hurry to revisit prior claims. For now, Jabba seems to think casting aspersions on 14C findings is what he wants to do. It's necessary, as I outline above, but by no means probative -- especially of authenticity. A claim of authenticity fails by contradiction according to the carbon dating. A claim of authenticity fails by starvation if it lacks any affirmative proof.

And yet Jabba continues to insist that anything that, in his opinion, casts doubt on the carbon dating should be added to his mythical "pro-authenticity pan", when if he could somehow completely discredit the carbon dating all it would do would be to remove the carbon dating from the "anti-authenticity pan".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 02:24 PM   #1782
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
And yet Jabba continues to insist that anything that, in his opinion, casts doubt on the carbon dating should be added to his mythical "pro-authenticity pan", when if he could somehow completely discredit the carbon dating all it would do would be to remove the carbon dating from the "anti-authenticity pan".
Hey Jabba, you could latch onto this and ignore the current failed topic. Got to be worth another 15 pages of this subject.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 1st December 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 03:53 PM   #1783
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why aren't you doing this before you present it as evidence?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 07:30 PM   #1784
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Good Evening, Mr. Savage:

Here is an opportunity for you to learn:

Item #1 makes an unsubstantiable claim about something Dr. McCrone is alleged to have said; then proceeds with the not-unexpected smears against the Good Doctor. (Notice: "...supposedly proved his theory...", and, even more typically, "...[McCrone] believed that the area from which the sample was actually taken, might have contained repairs...") (Italics added)
What is lacking? Evidence. Evidence along the lines of, "here is the rent; there the repair; these the egregious threads."

Not to mention the fact, as has been poinited out to you, that smearing the 14C dating does not advance your idea that the linen of the CIQ must be ~2000 years old. It is still true that the reason you think it must be ~2000 years old is that you decided, before you began your investigations, that the CIQ was the "True Shroud" (despite all of the problems unrelated to the 14C dating that have been pointed out to you.

You might find this interesting...

Do consider dropping this rearguard action,and addressing whatever positive evidecen you have that the CIQ is, in fact, ~2000 years old.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 09:27 PM   #1785
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Item #1 makes an unsubstantiable claim...
As long as you're jumping the gun, let me jump with you.

The sources to which Marino and Prior refer are, broadly speaking, mostly self-published books written by people who were not directly involved in the scientific testing of the cloth, but who have various theories and speculations about the problems it engendered. The face-palming moment comes when you realize that these authors have incompatible theories for what happened with the carbon dating. The Marino-and-Prior indirection allows Jabba to pretend there are a couple dozen reasons to distrust the dating. But in fact they are not a coherent or harmonious whole. They cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered a body of consilience because they argue different scenarios for what happened. They in fact contradict each other on such fundamental reasons such as why the date arrived at the 14th Century.

Last edited by JayUtah; 1st December 2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 2nd December 2015, 02:32 AM   #1786
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

As long as you're jumping the gun, let me jump with you.

The sources to which Marino and Prior refer are, broadly speaking, mostly self-published books written by people who were not directly involved in the scientific testing of the cloth, but who have various theories and speculations about the problems it engendered. The face-palming moment comes when you realize that these authors have incompatible theories for what happened with the carbon dating. The Marino-and-Prior indirection allows Jabba to pretend there are a couple dozen reasons to distrust the dating. But in fact they are not a coherent or harmonious whole. They cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered a body of consilience because they argue different scenarios for what happened. They in fact contradict each other on such fundamental reasons such as why the date arrived at the 14th Century.
Beautifully said.

I would only add, as emphasis, that the reason the "theories" are all over the map, disagreeing with each other willy-nilly, is not that threre is evidence that must be explained, but that the 14C dating came back with the "wrong" date.

It's special pleading all the way down...
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:42 AM   #1787
Jabba
Philosopher

Evidence - Expert Judgment/M&P/Addendum

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Why?
Zoo,
- I suspect that they came to agree (in part) with you guys -- that there was no 'meat' in some of their previous entries -- and dropped those entries in their addendum. The Delorenzi entry was one of the entries dropped.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:03 AM   #1788
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Zoo,
- I suspect that they came to agree (in part) with you guys -- that there was no 'meat' in some of their previous entries -- and dropped those entries in their addendum. The Delorenzi entry was one of the entries dropped.
So you're saying you're clutching at straws.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:13 AM   #1789
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Zoo,
My Dear Mr. Savage:

Please indicate which of the entries in the "addemdum" comprises, in your opinion, the best evidence that the sized and gessoed linen of the CIQ is, in fact, ~2000 years old.

Sincerely yours,

&ct.
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:22 AM   #1790
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Zoo,
And this helps the case for authenticity how?
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:49 AM   #1791
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Zoo,
You didn't answer the question I asked, which was in response to the section of your post which I quoted, not the whole post. Why did you decide to switch over to considering the entries to M&P's Addendum? Why did you not continue with the items in the main paper?
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:27 AM   #1792
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You didn't answer the question I asked, which was in response to the section of your post which I quoted, not the whole post. Why did you decide to switch over to considering the entries to M&P's Addendum? Why did you not continue with the items in the main paper?
I suspect Jabba thinks that the Addendum is a more defensible list which has had problematic entries dropped from it. He doesn't realise that both lists consist entirely of utterly worthless entries which can be as easily demolished as the Delorenzi one was.
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:27 AM   #1793
PizzaTheHutt
Scholar

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So you're saying you're clutching at straws.
More like hanging by a thread...
PizzaTheHutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:33 AM   #1794
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by PizzaTheHutt View Post
More like hanging by a thread...
...of an invisible patch.

Old 2nd December 2015, 07:02 AM   #1795
Jabba
Philosopher

Evidence/Repair/Consilience/M&P

My Dear Mr. Savage:

Please indicate which of the entries in the "addemdum" comprises, in your opinion, the best evidence that the sized and gessoed linen of the CIQ is, in fact, ~2000 years old.

Sincerely yours,

&ct.
- Accepting that no single entry is especially 'meaty,' I want to work my way through each entry to see if I can develop some meaningful consilience. I'll have to go back over your different objections and see if I can answer them. I'll start with #1 in the addendum.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:05 AM   #1796
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

- Accepting that no single entry is especially 'meaty,' I want to work my way through each entry to see if I can develop some meaningful consilience. I'll have to go back over your different objections and see if I can answer them. I'll start with #1 in the addendum.
You forgot to tell us how little time you have and how you'll be back.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:29 AM   #1797
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

My Dear Mr. Savage:

You could start here:

Good Evening, Mr. Savage:

Here is an opportunity for you to learn:

Item #1 makes an unsubstantiable claim about something Dr. McCrone is alleged to have said; then proceeds with the not-unexpected smears against the Good Doctor. (Notice: "...supposedly proved his theory...", and, even more typically, "...[McCrone] believed that the area from which the sample was actually taken, might have contained repairs...") (Italics added)
What is lacking? Evidence. Evidence along the lines of, "here is the rent; there the repair; these the egregious threads."

Not to mention the fact, as has been pointed out to you, that smearing the 14C dating does not advance your idea that the linen of the CIQ must be ~2000 years old. It is still true that the reason you think it must be ~2000 years old is that you decided, before you began your investigations, that the CIQ was the "True Shroud" (despite all of the problems unrelated to the 14C dating that have been pointed out to you.

You might find this interesting...

Do consider dropping this rearguard action,and addressing whatever positive evidecence you have that the CIQ is, in fact, ~2000 years old.
Sincerely yours,

&ct.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:30 AM   #1798
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

You forgot to tell us how little time you have and how you'll be back.
Not for at least three days.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:42 AM   #1799
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect that they came to agree (in part) with you guys...
The question asked why are you changing horses. You don't know anything about Marino and Prior's motives, and we're not interested in your speculation about it. You do know your reasons for suddenly abandoning their paper, and we'd like to hear them.

If it was because, as you suggest, their evidence was too weak to matter, then I think we agree. Which raises the next question: why would you consider other works by those same authors?

And after your suspension is up, please answer this post, which you seem to have overlooked.

Last edited by JayUtah; 2nd December 2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:44 AM   #1800
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

...to see if I can develop some meaningful consilience.
You cannot. By definition (and for obvious reasons) the sources to be tested for consilience much reach the same conclusion. The sources cited by Marino and Prior do not.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy