IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shroud of turin

Closed Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 01:51 PM   #2161
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
I claimed that I didn't need to disprove the results; I just needed to cast some doubt upon it. That's what I'm currently trying to do.
You are wrong. Simple as that. The C14 test is a conclusive result. "Some doubt" gets you nowhere. You need strong, objective counter-evidence. All else is a waste of time.

Hans
Old 18th December 2015, 02:36 PM   #2162
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

- In other words, "Yes. If I had stuff in the authentic pan, showing weakness in the carbon dating would be meaningful."
- A while back, I was told by your colleagues that the carbon dating amounted to a smoking gun, trumped any other evidence and that I needed to disprove its results before bothering with anything else.
- I claimed that I didn't need to disprove the results; I just needed to cast some doubt upon it. That's what I'm currently trying to do.
If it's wrong then we just don't have a carbon date. That's all. If the carbon dating never happened you'd still have no evidence the Shroud covered the body of the person you want it to have.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 02:38 PM   #2163
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
So which step are you on now? Is it a step forward or backward?
It's more a shuffling in place. It creates the illusion of activity without risking making progress.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 03:50 PM   #2164
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
- Right. That's the idea. One step at a time. Tedious, but logical.
My Dear Mr. Savage:

It is dishonest of you to continue to pretend, as you do, that hypothetical expressions ("even IF it were possible for you to demonstrate a weakness...") represent actual situations ("...since you agree that the 14C dating is infirm, there has to be '...some patching'").

When do you intend to demonstrate that the CIQ must be ~2000 years old?

I remain,

Accurately yours, &ct.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 04:49 PM   #2165
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
It's more a shuffling in place. It creates the illusion of activity without risking making progress.
Michael Jackson moonwalking.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 08:30 PM   #2166
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
- In other words, "Yes. If I had stuff in the authentic pan, showing weakness in the carbon dating would be meaningful."
- A while back, I was told by your colleagues that the carbon dating amounted to a smoking gun, trumped any other evidence and that I needed to disprove its results before bothering with anything else.
- I claimed that I didn't need to disprove the results; I just needed to cast some doubt upon it. That's what I'm currently trying to do.
My Dear Mr. Savage:

You should not make so free to paraphrase the words of others; especially when your "paraphrase" goes against the meaning of the original words. That is, simply, dishonest.

It has been pointed out to you, multiple times, that the 14C date is only one of a multitude of indications that the CIQ is manifestly medieval. To say nothing of the fact that, even were you to prove that the 14C date (provided by the mostly scrutinized bit of carbon dating ever) was, in fact, demonstrable an Illuminati plot, you would sill have the anatomical absurdity, the postural impossibility, the scriptural disagreement, the historical inaccuracy, and the anti-gravity "hair" and "blood" of the representational byzantine-styled image on the sized and gessoed surface of a manifestly medieval bit of linen.

When do you intend to begin producing any evidence that the CIQ is ~2000 years old?

I remain,

disappointedly yours, &ct.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 11:08 PM   #2167
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
There's no illusion. The dishonesty here is ludicrously inept.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 02:32 AM   #2168
Rincewind
Philosopher

Jabba,

No matter how small the steps, it's still vital to check into what you'll be treading...
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 02:50 AM   #2169
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
So which step are you on now? Is it a step forward or backward?

A sidestep, as usual.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 03:34 AM   #2170
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
A sidestep, as usual.
It's just a jump to the left...
Old 19th December 2015, 08:53 AM   #2171
Jabba
Philosopher

Discussion Format

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It doesn't matter how much you "take out" of the forgery pan, if there is nothing in the authentic pan, it doesn't matter, you can never tip the scales in its favor.
pgwenthold,
- I claim that making a disagreement in a debate as specific as possible is especially useful, and that hypothetical questions do just that. Do you disagree?
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 09:10 AM   #2172
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

pgwenthold,
- I claim that making a disagreement in a debate as specific as possible is especially useful, and that hypothetical questions do just that. Do you disagree?
Why do we need your effective debate when we have the Scientific Method? Make a claim and support it with evidence. Pretty straight forward.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 09:20 AM   #2173
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

pgwenthold,
Absolutely disagree. Hypothetical questions are rarely useful, and mostly serve to cloud the issue.

Hans
Old 19th December 2015, 10:07 AM   #2174
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Absolutely disagree. Hypothetical questions are rarely useful, and mostly serve to cloud the issue.

Hans
Indeed. As has been pointed out many times before, Jabba needs his hypotheticals because he has no evidence and thus must rely entirely on his "what if" scenarios.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 10:15 AM   #2175
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

pgwenthold,
Baseless hypotheticals do nothing to advance debate.

Unless you actually have some evidence for authenticity, it does not matter what hypotheticals you create.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 10:36 AM   #2176
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I claim that making a disagreement in a debate as specific as possible is especially useful
You can claim that, but your argument style explicitly tends toward the opposite. You take my carefully and clearly worded posts and manipulate them as best you can to try to make them say something else. Equivocation, the mainstay of your argument, is the enemy of specificity.

Quote:
...and that hypothetical questions do just that. Do you disagree?
I can't possibly disagree more. Between your highly dishonest and errant "map" maintained elsewhere and your ham-fisted attempts to cram "hypotheticals" into your critics' mouths, you're simply trying to pretend there is some other debate happening other than what is unfolding before your eyes.

When may we expect you to deal with the actual arguments on the table, not the ones you fervently wish had been made instead?

Last edited by JayUtah; 19th December 2015 at 12:03 PM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 10:49 AM   #2177
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

pgwenthold,
- I claim that making a disagreement in a debate as specific as possible is especially useful, and that hypothetical questions do just that. [...]
Is this series of 4 grotesque threads spread-out over as many years supposed to be an example of that?

If so, the verdict is: Fail.

Last edited by John Jones; 19th December 2015 at 10:56 AM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 01:05 PM   #2178
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Clouding the issue is useful if you have no evidence to support your position.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 01:18 PM   #2179
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

- You post assertions made by shroudies without examining the evidence and argument behind them.
- You do not engage with considered and detailed criticism of these. That's just plain rude.
- You go off on these waffling and pointless tangents about what kind of framework would support authnticity. Only to come back and throw out the same debunked claims.
- As far as any actual debate going on, this is easily the limpest defence of an idea I have ever seen on these forums. We have zero vigorous back and forth. This is not a debate because you will not engage with any counter argument.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 05:27 AM   #2180
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Jabba working on a reply as I type. Standby for evidence overload, naysayers!
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 05:45 AM   #2181
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Oh, he's gone
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 10:33 AM   #2182
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
You go off on these waffling and pointless tangents about what kind of framework would support authnticity. Only to come back and throw out the same debunked claims.
Spend enough time reading fringe arguments and you discover this is all it ever is. There's rarely a debate over the strength of the actual evidence. Fringe argumentation is all about different patterns of trying to stack the deck to make what little (if any) evidence they have seem important or probative. The patterns very from genre to genre, but they all take some form of setting up ad hoc ground rules that favor their claims.

Quote:
This is not a debate because you will not engage with any counter argument.
We should point out that endless requests for clarification and endless attempts to elicit some token conciliation from the opponent du jour does not count as engagement.

Last edited by JayUtah; 21st December 2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 21st December 2015, 05:21 PM   #2183
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Cool Hand J was back again this afternoon with a whole lot of nuthin'.

Is this how the thread will end?
Old 21st December 2015, 05:31 PM   #2184
Jabba
Philosopher

Discussion Format

- According to Jay, observation "trumps" inference.
- I would point out that this word doesn't really apply -- and confuses the issue -- when we're considering "preponderance of evidence."
- Do I need to explain?
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
My Dear Mr. Savage:
You do not need to "explain" your hope that you can avoid facing reality by pretending that this is a "trial", and that the proper standard is "preponderance of the evidence" (neither of which, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly) is correct.
Slowvehicle,
- If I understand what you're saying, my answer is that "preponderance of evidence" is not limited to a "trial" situation. It's like the basic concept in probability, and applies to any question of likelihood -- such as, "How likely is it that the shroud is authentic?"
- The word "trump" normally refers to a bi-variate situation, where "degree" is not taken into account. That is not the case when we're considering the probability of an event -- which is what we're considering here.
Reality is not decided by "preponderance of evidence"...
- Reality isn't, but probability is.
My Dear Mr. Savage:
You will be providing support for this statement?
...that would be refreshing.
I remain,
Hopefully yours, &ct.
Slowvehicle,
- Again, I suspect that I'm not understanding your question. It seems obvious to me that the probability of something being true is determined by compiling the relevant information (evidence) available -- i.e., by determining the preponderance of available evidence. Do you find that statement meaningless, or doubtful?
My Dear Mr. Savage:
I see.
Brief derail:
You choose not to support your statement, but simply reiterate it, as if the problem were a deficiency in my understanding, instead of a deficiency in your unsupportable assertion.
I had actually hoped you might provide a citation or something to buttress your position.
Follow:
I do not find your statement "meaningless"; I find it incorrect.
I do not find your statement "doubtful"; I find it incorrect.
What, in your mind, is the "probability" of something that is impossible?
So what is the evidence that the shroud is the burial cloth of Jesus? In order to have a preponderance of evidence in the balance, you actually have to have something in the pan. All you ever talk about is taking evidence out of the other side, but without anything on the authentic side, it is meaningless.
For example, in what respect does the Raes claims provide evidence to put in the authentic pan? Hint: it doesn't . Even if it were patched in 1500, that does not mean it was the burial shroud of Jesus. See how that works?
Pgwenthold,
- Do you accept that if I had stuff in the authentic pan, showing weakness in the carbon dating would be meaningful?
Do you accept that if I had wings, I could fly.
If there were evidence for authenticity, we could compare that to the evidence for a forgery...
It doesn't matter how much you "take out" of the forgery pan, if there is nothing in the authentic pan, it doesn't matter, you can never tip the scales in its favor...
pgwenthold,
Unless you actually have some evidence for authenticity, it does not matter what hypotheticals you create.
pgwenthold,

- That seems to imply that it does matter if I actually have some evidence of authenticity. Is that correct?

- And here, I'm just trying to follow the directions encouraged by your colleagues -- so before I go back to what I think is evidence of authenticity, I need to show that the carbon dating is not a slam dunk.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 05:42 PM   #2185
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

That seems to imply that it does matter if I actually have some evidence of authenticity. Is that correct?
For the third time, quit trying to have a fantasy debate in your mind. Quit trying to put words in your critics' mouths. Quit trying to elicit from them token acquiescence to spin as support. We're onto those tactics, in case it's not obvious.

The notion of preponderance requires you to have evidence to weigh. You have none. Therefore you cannot make an argument based on preponderance. Period, full stop, end of discussion. Is that clear enough for you?

Quote:
And here, I'm just trying to follow the directions encouraged by your colleagues...
No. You have been told exactly in what way you equivocated and misrepresented your critics instructions to make them sound like a validation of what you were already doing. How many times must you be corrected before it takes hold?

Quote:
...so before I go back to what I think is evidence of authenticity, I need to show that the carbon dating is not a slam dunk.
No, that was not what you were instructed to do. Now try again, and get it right this time. If you plan to argue a preponderance of evidence in your favor, you must have actual evidence. No amount of un-"slam-dunking" creates a preponderance in your favor. None, even a full-fledged refutation of the carbon dating evidence. This has been explained to you several times, so your ignorance of it cannot possibly be accidental. Stop the deliberate stalling and question-begging and do what you were told.
Old 21st December 2015, 06:02 PM   #2186
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

pgwenthold,

- That seems to imply that it does matter if I actually have some evidence of authenticity. Is that correct?

- And here, I'm just trying to follow the directions encouraged by your colleagues -- so before I go back to what I think is evidence of authenticity, I need to show that the carbon dating is not a slam dunk.

You have never and likely never will impugn the 14C dating of the CIQ.

You don't even understand it. You cite people who don't understand it, and whose opinions you apparently don't even bother reading.

If you have evidence of authenticity, let us see it now.
Old 21st December 2015, 06:07 PM   #2187
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

pgwenthold,

Jabba, for you to gain even the slightest traction in this "debate" you need to show some positive evidence for a 1st century origin for the shroud. Without that your entire argument is moot.

I've asked you this before, but I'll try again - if there were no evidence for a 13th century date, how would you convince me that the shroud originated in the 1st century? What evidence could you produce that actually points towards a 1st century date? Forget the 14C dating, forget the D'Arcis memo, forget that the cloth is sized and gessoed, forget it all.

I'm standing in front of the Shroud of Turin, I know absolutely nothing about it, you tell me that it was the burial shroud of Jesus, and I ask, "How do you know?"

Convince me.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2015, 02:18 AM   #2188
Mojo
Mostly harmless

- That seems to imply that it does matter if I actually have some evidence of authenticity.

Even if it did, it wouldn't, because you don't.

Old 22nd December 2015, 05:47 AM   #2189
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This has of course all been said before. Ignored by Jabba each time but explained in a myriad of ways by many posters, many times. If this was a debate he might be vigorously questioning this position or arguing against it. To keep trying it on is dishonest.
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:11 AM   #2190
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

pgwenthold,

Gosh. Where to begin? So much evidence for authenticity, so little time.
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:49 AM   #2191
catsmate
No longer the 1

pgwenthold,

How about you stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsensical attempts at evasion and present the evidence you've been claiming you have? Or alternatively accept the reality that the shroud is a medieval fake.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:53 AM   #2192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
How about you stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsensical attempts at evasion and present the evidence you've been claiming you have? Or alternatively accept the reality that the shroud is a medieval fake.
Apparently someone told him that he's not allowed to do this until he's managed to cast sufficient doubt on the "slam dunk" carbon dating evidence. He'd make substantial progress on this if only people would engage in effective debateTM and follow each tiny thread's attempt to pick a hole in the carbon dating evidence to the very end without stopping it in its tracks with facts
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:45 AM   #2193
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apparently someone told him that he's not allowed to do this until he's managed to cast sufficient doubt on the "slam dunk" carbon dating evidence. He'd make substantial progress on this if only people would engage in effective debateTM and follow each tiny thread's attempt to pick a hole in the carbon dating evidence to the very end without stopping it in its tracks with facts
Who would have told him such a thing?
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:28 PM   #2194
Monza
Alta Viro

pgwenthold,

No, any attempt to discredit conflicting evidence should be done after you have presented your own positive evidence. Otherwise you are no closer to a first century date.

It has been asked many times, but please (for the sake of this discussion) present your evidence toward a first century date of the shroud. It is no good saying the shroud isn't 700 years old if you never say why it is ~2000 years old.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:31 PM   #2195
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Jabba has admitted he "has no such evidence."
Old 22nd December 2015, 03:26 PM   #2196
Jabba
Philosopher

Discussion Format

pgwenthold,
- I should have posed one claim at a time (and phrased the one slightly differently). Do you accept that in a debate it is very useful to make the specific disagreements as explicit as possible?
Old 22nd December 2015, 03:32 PM   #2197
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

- I should have posed one claim at a time (and phrased the one slightly differently). Do you accept that in a debate it is very useful to make the specific disagreements as explicit as possible?
It's better to just skip ahead to where you present evidence for you claims.
Old 22nd December 2015, 04:54 PM   #2198
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I don not agree that debate is the appropriate tool to resolve the claims in this thread.
Old 22nd December 2015, 06:31 PM   #2199
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

We know what you don't agree with. Now, what is the evidence for it being the burial cloth of Jesus?

Remember, you have claimed that the reason we should question the C14 dating is because the preponderance of evidence for authenticity. yet, you have presented none.

We're waiting...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2015, 06:43 PM   #2200
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Do you accept that in a debate it is very useful to provide evidence supporting your claims? GET ON WITH IT!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy