IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 02:23 AM   #881
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile the UK is reportedly preparing for a breakdown in talks with the EU.

Quote:
The UK government is preparing for a breakdown in talks with the EU over Brexit this week, according to No 10.

A government official told the BBC the EU had not shown a desire to "budge one centimetre" since Boris Johnson submitted new proposals to Brussels.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49970267

Of course when your negotiating approach is "Here are our (unworkable) plans - take them or leave them" then that doesn't seem to leave much room for negotiation.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:29 AM   #882
Greebo
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Meanwhile the UK is reportedly preparing for a breakdown in talks with the EU.

Of course when your negotiating approach is "Here are our (unworkable) plans - take them or leave them" then that doesn't seem to leave much room for negotiation.
And then take the default position of "We tried, but it's all the EUs fault"
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:58 AM   #883
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

That explains sudden extra drop on Forex.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:34 AM   #884
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
And then take the default position of "We tried, but it's all the EUs fault"
Sadly that will work on at least 50% of the UK population who will end up blaming the EU for everything and as a result will make bad decisions for a couple of generations
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:37 AM   #885
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Things have progressed a step further now

Quote:
A No 10 source says a Brexit deal is "essentially impossible" after a call between the PM and Angela Merkel.

Boris Johnson spoke to the German chancellor earlier about the proposals he put forward to the EU - but the source said she made clear a deal based on them was "overwhelmingly unlikely".

Looks like Boris Johnson will get his no deal Brexit after all
Old 8th October 2019, 03:43 AM   #886
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The Benn law?
Old 8th October 2019, 03:47 AM   #887
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Sadly that will work on at least 50% of the UK population who will end up blaming the EU for everything and as a result will make bad decisions for a couple of generations
End up? That was their starting point.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:49 AM   #888
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The Benn law?
Presumably the traditional party of law and order isn't planning to follow the law. I'm struggling to work out in what sense Boris can be described by the adjective "conservative."

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:52 AM   #889
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Benn law?
What about it ?

Boris Johnson could simply ignore it and let the dice fall where they may.

He could ask for an extension in a way that makes it impossible to grant.

He could rely on the EU refusing an extension.

He could reject the terms of any extension.

Sadly the default outcome is still a no-deal Brexit and as the craven MPs' desperation to get behind Boris Johnson's latest non-offer to the EU shows, there is no appetite whatsoever to cancel Brexit, or find a realistic deal so a no deal it is
Old 8th October 2019, 03:53 AM   #890
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The Benn law?
If the extension is not in place by 31/10 we leave, that is a matter of UK legislation, the folk trying to get a further extension are not going to get the request to the EU and agreed before then.

We are leaving 31st October.

May as well get used to the idea.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:57 AM   #891
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

That depends. He's obligated to send the letter unless Parliament agrees to no deal Brexit. If EU agrees to an extension he'll get his other great wish, an election. Except it would be with him being the man who extended Brexit, so that's a bummer.

The election is a wildcard. Electoral calculus predicts a Tory majority of 12. That could be reduced if there is a swing from Tory to Brexit or LibDem or if those 20+ MPs that were kicked out of Conservatives stand to steal Tory votes.

Anything can happen, but it's definitely a major condemnation of Corbyn and his incompetence.

McHrozni
Old 8th October 2019, 03:58 AM   #892
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I'm struggling to work out in what sense Boris can be described by the adjective "conservative."

Dave
He tries to **** as many people as possible.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:02 AM   #893
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Presumably the traditional party of law and order isn't planning to follow the law. I'm struggling to work out in what sense Boris can be described by the adjective "conservative."

Dave
Difference between conservative with a big C and little c.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:04 AM   #894
ceptimus
puzzler

True for both sides. The EU's treaty is unacceptable for the UK parliament, the UK government's proposal is unacceptable for the EU.

The question the EU should really be asking themselves is which is the more unacceptable to them: Boris's proposed deal or no deal - and then choose the lesser of two evils. But Benn's Bill has given them a third option to cling to - the hope that we will eventually agree to remain.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:07 AM   #895
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
He tries to **** as many people as possible.
That's a tad unfair, he's about making the world better for his mates! That may mean he has to **** all over everyone else but hey that can't be helped.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:08 AM   #896
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
True for both sides. The EU's treaty is unacceptable for the UK parliament, the UK government's proposal is unacceptable for the EU.

The question the EU should really be asking themselves is which is the more unacceptable to them: Boris's proposed deal or no deal - and then choose the lesser of two evils. But Benn's Bill has given them a third option to cling to - the hope that we will eventually agree to remain.
Interesting bit of goal post changing in mid flow. Both sides and then you mention a third side...
Old 8th October 2019, 06:16 AM   #897
catsmate
No longer the 1

<gibber snip>
Anyone seen a set of goalposts anywhere? The have been somewhat odd looking....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:32 AM   #898
Lothian
should be banned

I think the EU have always hoped that we would remain. Given the split in what leavers want remaining forms the most popular relationship with the EU amongst UK voters.
If you have a chance for the best outcome for both sides why would you take it off the table?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:40 AM   #899
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Farmers will feel "betrayed" by a government plan not to impose tariffs on the majority of goods entering the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the National Farmers Union has said.

The government has announced it will not tax 88% of imports into the UK.

The NFU said without a Brexit deal its members face tariffs on exports while overseas rivals will not be taxed.

"The prime minister has missed a real opportunity to back British farmers," said NFU chief Minette Batters.

The government published its updated proposed tariff regime ahead of the UK's scheduled departure from the European Union on 31 October.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49970197

RIP British agriculture.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:47 AM   #900
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The only way that UK agriculture will be able to survive post-Brexit will be for the UK government to heavily subsidise it. Unfortunately this means that the EU will introduce heavy tariffs to counteract those subsidies which will kill our biggest export market
Old 8th October 2019, 08:27 AM   #901
Samson
Philosopher

like I say, get 3 to 1 on Ladbrokes for a buffer. This looks like a beautiful hedge

Article 50 Extended And UK Remains In EU After Oct 31
To happen on or before Oct 31 2019
UK to leave EU with No Deal
UK to leave EU with Deal

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/b...als/225327493/
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:34 AM   #902
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Anyone seen a set of goalposts anywhere? The have been somewhat odd looking....
Are you sure you have seen any brexit goalposts? Any in this universe?

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:35 AM   #903
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The only way that UK agriculture will be able to survive post-Brexit will be for the UK government to heavily subsidise it. Unfortunately this means that the EU will introduce heavy tariffs to counteract those subsidies which will kill our biggest export market
Nonsense. When we remove all those pesky regulations our farmers will be able to compete against the world!
Old 8th October 2019, 08:39 AM   #904
Parsman
Muse

England's population. Every electoral district in Scotland voted remain. N Ireland and Gibraltar voted remain too.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:43 AM   #905
GlennB

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
like I say, get 3 to 1 on Ladbrokes for a buffer. This looks like a beautiful hedge

Article 50 Extended And UK Remains In EU After Oct 31
UK to leave EU with No Deal
UK to leave EU with Deal
Only if Oct 31st is a special date for the punter. Otherwise those odds have to be watered down in light of the fact that we could leave with no deal after that date.

But I think I mentioned this before
Old 8th October 2019, 08:51 AM   #906
Samson
Philosopher

Only if Oct 31st is a special date for the punter. Otherwise those odds have to be watered down in light of the fact that we could leave with no deal after that date.

But I think I mentioned this before
The way I read it, they are saying strong chance article 50 is extended. I can't see your point.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:57 AM   #907
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Dave
Laws are for the Plebs of course.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:10 AM   #908
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The way I read it, they are saying strong chance article 50 is extended. I can't see your point.
Well it means that unless Parliament does something it has been unable to do for the last three years, agree on a positive outcome whether it's the Withdrawal Agreement, another deal or revoking article 50 that the UK will crash out with no deal at the end of the extension.

During the extension we could have a general election. Currently the Conservatives are heavy favourites to win a majority in that election. IMO The Conservatives will be campaigning on no-deal to avoid the Brexit Party splitting the swivel-eyed loon vote which means that no deal is the most likely outcome of an election.

In the event that there isn't any overall majority for any one party we're likely back to square one with no agreement.

If Labour win a majority we'll have a period of uncertainty while Jeremy Corbyn attempts to negotiate a fantastical Brexit deal followed by crashing out with no deal when the extension ends.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:11 AM   #909
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nonsense. When we remove all those pesky regulations our farmers will be able to compete against the world!
Absolutely. You can look forward to US-style food 'enhancements' like:
  • GMO corn and soy (practically harmless compared to the rest)
  • Ractopamine "enhanced" beef, porn and turkey
  • BVO laced soft drinks (but at least it'll keep the Brits from igniting)
  • Arsenic enhanced chicken
  • Brominated (via potassium bromate) breads. They'll be whiter...
  • Cereals, butter substitutes, meat and nuts preserved with BHA and BHT
  • Milk from cows dosed with recombinant bovine growth hormone
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 8th October 2019 at 09:12 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:19 AM   #910
Samson
Philosopher

Well it means that unless Parliament does something it has been unable to do for the last three years, agree on a positive outcome whether it's the Withdrawal Agreement, another deal or revoking article 50 that the UK will crash out with no deal at the end of the extension.

During the extension we could have a general election. Currently the Conservatives are heavy favourites to win a majority in that election. IMO The Conservatives will be campaigning on no-deal to avoid the Brexit Party splitting the swivel-eyed loon vote which means that no deal is the most likely outcome of an election.

In the event that there isn't any overall majority for any one party we're likely back to square one with no agreement.

If Labour win a majority we'll have a period of uncertainty while Jeremy Corbyn attempts to negotiate a fantastical Brexit deal followed by crashing out with no deal when the extension ends.
An extension means a structural circuit breaker must be found and the only logical path is a referendum that should have been held in the first place, (remain) or (leave with specific pre agreed conditions).
Old 8th October 2019, 09:20 AM   #911
GlennB

You stated the 4.0 (3-1, UK style odds) was a 'hedge'. A hedge against what? That's my point, and already stated clearly.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:23 AM   #912
Dave Rogers

• Ractopamine "enhanced" beef, porn and turkey

More than it's enhanced already??

Dave

Old 8th October 2019, 09:25 AM   #913
GlennB

[*] Ractopamine "enhanced" beef, porn and turkey
Is that a bad thing? I have no idea
Old 8th October 2019, 09:28 AM   #914
Samson
Philosopher

You stated the 4.0 (3-1, UK style odds) was a 'hedge'. A hedge against what? That's my point, and already stated clearly.
For a business about to incur massive losses with a no deal brexit. But if you believe an extension only moves the date of a no deal brexit then it is not a good hedge. But I don't see a no deal brexit after an extension as being a plausible outcome.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #915
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Leaving with no deal is also unacceptable to the UK Parliament but Bojo wants to do it anyway. More MPs support the EU deal than leaving without one.

So a deal with the EU satisfies the EU, more MPs than no deal and is also what people voted for in the referendum. Ergo....
Old 8th October 2019, 09:40 AM   #916
Garrison
Philosopher

I don't doubt Boris and his cronies are plotting to bring about a No Deal Brexit, I simply suspect their own ineptitude will thwart them.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:43 AM   #917
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

For a business about to incur massive losses with a no deal brexit. But if you believe an extension only moves the date of a no deal brexit then it is not a good hedge. But I don't see a no deal brexit after an extension as being a plausible outcome.
I think if they extend to January and have an election where the Tories get a majority no deal.becomes likely because there wouldnt be the numbers in parliament to stop it and i cant see the EU caving on a deal.
Old 8th October 2019, 10:12 AM   #918
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

The EU's treaty is unacceptable for the UK parliament, the UK government's proposal is unacceptable for the EU.
The UKís proposal is not viable and is therefor unacceptable to anyone with common sense. The EUís proposal doesnít suffer the same problem.

The question the EU should really be asking themselves is which is the more unacceptable to them: Boris's proposed deal or no deal - and then choose the lesser of two evils.
Very easy decision for the EU. Nearly all the negative effects of a no-deal fall on the UK, so there is no way the EU wouldn't prefer no-deal to the mess the UK offered up.
Old 8th October 2019, 10:17 AM   #919
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

"enhanced" beef, porn and turkey
Porn has always relied heavily on "enhancements".
Old 8th October 2019, 10:59 AM   #920
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I don't doubt Boris and his cronies are plotting to bring about a No Deal Brexit, I simply suspect their own ineptitude will thwart them.
The fact that it is the default is heavily in their favour
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics