IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 27th November 2020, 11:17 AM   #2401
junkshop
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: blighted lorry park
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
...and take it with a lot of Coke...
If you hadn't capitalised that it would have explained a lot of your previous posts.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 11:46 AM   #2402
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,836
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Let us deal with "evidence." I make a statement of "fact".

You say prove it.

1. I say I had pawpaw for breakfast.
2. I say I broke my toe a week or so ago
3. I say I fell off a house foundation and did not get injured but should have.
4. I say it seemed God told me of a coming pandemic in 2009
5. I say I "knew" a biker would die just ahead.
6. I say that I experienced the Infinite Intelligence.

One "proof" would be that I do not lie. When Chris Packham said on Hardtalk that he hated lying and would not do so, and that it was part of the Aspergers he had, I realized that I too hate lying and hate injustice.

So you can pretty much eliminate any suspicion of lying.

<...>

No.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 12:51 PM   #2403
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Long winded.
You misspelled "thorough."

Quote:
I sum it up...
Because you can't address any of the actual points. All you can manage is a blanket dismissal.

Quote:
...but I see clearly through you.
A claim you can demonstrate by going back and addressing each and every point that I took pains to structure into a cogent argument. Instead you're just back to insinuating to be some kind of genius who doesn't need to explain himself.

Quote:
Bottom line. I was correct in my prediction.
Bottom line: you changed all the rules to make it seem after the fact like you were right. Like fake prophets tend to do. And you got caught lying. Again.

Last edited by JayUtah; 27th November 2020 at 01:04 PM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 03:24 PM   #2404
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,344
Just on a completely general and non-personal note it seems relevant to remember that truth depends on more than intention, and the measure of truth is not just good will. Error and delusion are not right because they are sincere.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 07:45 PM   #2405
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So you can pretty much eliminate any suspicion of lying.
You were caught directly lying about your apprenticeship at Joburg Power before it even existed.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 11:34 PM   #2406
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,193
When someone makes a false claim it matters not whether they are deliberately lying, honestly mistaken or delusional. It matters only that they are unable to support the claim with objective evidence. That is the only justification required to dismiss it.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 06:57 AM   #2407
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
One "proof" would be that I do not lie.
There isn't a functional human adult out there who does not lie from time to time, whether it be exagerration, telling white lies to avoid hurting someone's feeling, lying by omission for various reasons, etc.

I'm not calling you a liar on any of this topic, but I simply point blank refuse to believe that you are a person who never tells lie.

We all lie from time to time about various things. It's a simple part of human nature.

Today I lied and agreed with someone who suggested I had a dose of the common cold. Fact is I get snotty and sniffly in cold weather and get stuffed up sinuses and I'm bored of explaining it to people so I just agree and say I've got a bit of a dose. A simple example of a harmless lie of the type we all engage in as part of natural human behaviour.

Sometimes I tell little white lies because the truth is something I don't want them to know about. Recently I was exiting a pharmacist after picking up my monthly supply of antidepressants and met someone I work with who's an *******, he actually asked me what I was buying (which is a rude question to ask) and I said I was just picking up some antihistamines, because I didn't want to start telling him about my depression. I suppose I could have told him none of his business but I just wanted to get it over with and get away from him. We all do things like that. A person who never lies? I don't buy that at all.

We think you doth protest too much about how some people are reacting to some of the tales you've been telling in this and other threads.

edit: It's also a lousy "proof" of anything because it relies on others in this thread actually believing you that you never lie. I don't think anyone reading this thread is going to actually believe that so it does not count as proof or evidence of anything.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 28th November 2020 at 07:02 AM.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:23 AM   #2408
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,506
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
There isn't a functional human adult out there who does not lie from time to time, whether it be exagerration, telling white lies to avoid hurting someone's feeling, lying by omission for various reasons, etc.

I'm not calling you a liar on any of this topic, but I simply point blank refuse to believe that you are a person who never tells lie.
<Snipped for brevity>

Psychometric tests designed to assess psychopathology ask questions such as “Have you ever stolen anything?”. A “no” response raises questions of personality issues because we all have stolen something , even if it was just a candy bar from a grocery store. A pattern of similar absolute statements by an individual would probably, IMO, warrant further assessment.
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:49 AM   #2409
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
<Snipped for brevity>

Psychometric tests designed to assess psychopathology ask questions such as “Have you ever stolen anything?”. A “no” response raises questions of personality issues because we all have stolen something , even if it was just a candy bar from a grocery store. A pattern of similar absolute statements by an individual would probably, IMO, warrant further assessment.
I remember reading about some company that had as part of job interviews the question "Have you ever lied to a loved one?" and if you answered yes then you weren't considered for the job.

That shows quite an astounding lack of understanding of the basics of human nature.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:53 AM   #2410
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Next is a hallucination. These occurred while I was in good health and in quiet circumstances. What on earth would trigger such a strange brain malfunction. Especially when I am not prone to "mistakes". (Prize for those with good memories)
I once had some quite vivid hallucinations while in otherwise good health. I suppose the fact that I'd been awake for 4 days had something to do with it and might cause me to reevaluate describing my state as being in good health.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 07:36 AM   #2411
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,110
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I once had some quite vivid hallucinations while in otherwise good health. I suppose the fact that I'd been awake for 4 days had something to do with it and might cause me to reevaluate describing my state as being in good health.
I had that. I was walking with my friend to a lecture on the other campus while at uni and I very distinctly heard someone calling my name from behind us as we walked. There wasn't anyone there of course.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 11:02 AM   #2412
Susheel
Graduate Poster
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 1,774
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I once had some quite vivid hallucinations while in otherwise good health. I suppose the fact that I'd been awake for....
Same here, but after a little over 60 hrs of sleeplessness, caught myself having hallucinations, hearing instructions from people bot there, forgetting if I came into the mess for breakfast, uttering stuff totally unrelated to actual conversation but some weird alternative situation
in my head that weirdly overlapped reality with weird differences, and most scary of all, "waking up" at odd times and places...at the lunch line or on top of a ladder hanging up something.

(it was the days before the launch of an international conference at university and I was one of the organising members."
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 11:54 AM   #2413
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I had that. I was walking with my friend to a lecture on the other campus while at uni and I very distinctly heard someone calling my name from behind us as we walked. There wasn't anyone there of course.
Hearing my name being called when no-one was around and hearing footsteps behind me when there was no-one there were audio hallucinations I had at the time. There were also visual hallucinations involved.

I can see why sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture (or "enhanced interrogation"). You could get someone to sign any confession or agree to anything if they were sleep deprived enough without them understanding what it was they were agreeing to because they were ******* insane from lack of sleep.

But this is getting off topic.

To get back on topic, I find it extremely difficult to believe PartSkeptic's claim that he never lies, and that he expects us to believe that and to accept it as evidence of his claims. It's rather odd and bizarre to me to be honest.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 29th November 2020 at 11:57 AM.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 01:52 PM   #2414
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,953
Not long ago we rediscovered one of our now adult daughter's old possessions: a Magic 8-Ball (TM). As a method of divination it is superior to Tarot cards in that its pronouncements need no subjective interpretation. I posed the question "Should we accept PS's statements as true?" I performed the ritual, and the answer came:

My reply is no.

Last edited by Spektator; 29th November 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:48 PM   #2415
gmanontario
Muse
 
gmanontario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 574
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I had that. I was walking with my friend to a lecture on the other campus while at uni and I very distinctly heard someone calling my name from behind us as we walked. There wasn't anyone there of course.
I had incredibly real to me hallucinations after surgery when I didn't know I was allergic to codeine.i had a dozen people in my room with me and we had a wonderful conversation about major league sports. They broke up my boredom too. Once off codeine and into fentanyl, they left and didn't come back.

I miss those people sometimes.
__________________
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed...it can only be wasted.

Red Green
gmanontario is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:07 AM   #2416
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
I am at Pilanesberg Game Park for a week. Very little cell phone radiation. I turned off the Wifi next to my bed. Down to one pain tablet a day (from 3 a day). I realized how sensitive I have become when I used my cell phone to scroll through a website. After 10 minutes I had a headache. Turned off my phone. Headache took about 20 minutes to go away.

I see there is an report on Havana Syndrome.

When I said it was microwave radiation everyone scoffed. But the truth is now out.


https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55203844

The latest study was carried out by a team of medical and scientific experts who examined the symptoms of about 40 government employees.

Many have suffered longstanding and debilitating effects, the report said.

"The committee felt that many of the distinctive and acute signs, symptoms and observations reported by (government) employees are consistent with the effects of directed, pulsed radio frequency (RF) energy," the report reads.

"Studies published in the open literature more than a half-century ago and over the subsequent decades by Western and Soviet sources provide circumstantial support for this possible mechanism."
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:08 AM   #2417
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Not long ago we rediscovered one of our now adult daughter's old possessions: a Magic 8-Ball (TM). As a method of divination it is superior to Tarot cards in that its pronouncements need no subjective interpretation. I posed the question "Should we accept PS's statements as true?" I performed the ritual, and the answer came:

My reply is no.

This little test is proof that spirit does not "talk" to you. Do not give up your day job.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:23 AM   #2418
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
(snip)

To get back on topic, I find it extremely difficult to believe PartSkeptic's claim that he never lies, and that he expects us to believe that and to accept it as evidence of his claims. It's rather odd and bizarre to me to be honest.

I am amazed at how many people lie and deceive. On a regular basis.

I cannot claim never to have lied. I just do not remember a situation where I did so. When I was younger, I tried to deflect blame to get out of an embarrassing situation. I have used blatant changing of the subject to avoid telling a lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

There are situations when one is permitted to ethically lie but they are usually to avoid serious harm to others from an attacker or stop some ugly crime or other.

I can list many situations where I told the truth despite the consequences to me. It actually got me out of trouble many times because the teacher / policeman / official could not believe I would be so honest.

Because so many people lie on a regular basis, they assume others do the same. I was naïve when younger because I assumed people were like me and did not lie. It took me a long time to get some cynicism.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:32 AM   #2419
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
<Snipped for brevity>

Psychometric tests designed to assess psychopathology ask questions such as “Have you ever stolen anything?”. A “no” response raises questions of personality issues because we all have stolen something , even if it was just a candy bar from a grocery store. A pattern of similar absolute statements by an individual would probably, IMO, warrant further assessment.


I have NEVER stolen anything. Absolutely not. Not even a pen or a pencil. I do not covet a possession belonging to someone else.

See my previous post.

Why not? Because it is wrong.

I had an excellent memory (until I was 38) and remembered any embarrassing incidents for a very long time. Living with memories of my mistakes was bad enough. Living with guilt of stealing something would have made my life miserable.

The tests were written by "ordinary" people who have stolen things themselves.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:40 AM   #2420
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
When someone makes a false claim it matters not whether they are deliberately lying, honestly mistaken or delusional. It matters only that they are unable to support the claim with objective evidence. That is the only justification required to dismiss it.

Wrong.

If I claim I say I saw you kill someone, my credibility has to be assessed. A lie. A mistake. A delusion. These have to be considered.

I have been called a liar on forums many times. Are there not situations where there is no objective evidence and one has to use judgement on the assessment of the truth of the claim?

I just played Chinese checkers here at the chalet. When I was young I was successful once. I remembered the moves and was able to do it again. If you had asked me within a year of my doing it I would have given you objective evidence by repeating it. Now you have to make an assessment. Was my memory good enough? Was I analytical enough? Am I now truthful enough? You be the judge!
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:43 AM   #2421
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Just on a completely general and non-personal note it seems relevant to remember that truth depends on more than intention, and the measure of truth is not just good will. Error and delusion are not right because they are sincere.
Fully agree. But once lying is probably not applicable then those other two possibilities can be considered.

For example. I gave Tarot card readings. I was accused of possibly doing many readings and picking the one I wanted. That amounts to a lie. I do not do that even if it is dents my credibility.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 09:45 AM   #2422
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
If you hadn't capitalised that it would have explained a lot of your previous posts.

Good thing I did not make a mistake.

And yes, I would have had to agree with you if I did do drugs.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:18 AM   #2423
junkshop
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: blighted lorry park
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Down to one pain tablet a day (from 3 a day).
ok
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:40 AM   #2424
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I was accused of possibly doing many [Tarot] readings and picking the one I wanted. That amounts to a lie. I do not do that even if it is dents my credibility.
Except that's not the only example at this forum of you trying to rewrite history and reality in order to support your belief that you have some sort of supernatural gift. This one is just the most recent, and one of the more brazen.

And people aren't just "accusing" you. They're doing that, but then they're providing the evidence to back up their accusations. Your response to that evidence has been to dig yourself in deeper and tell more lies to try to cover up the first ones. At a certain point you just stop answering and come back only with indignant denials.

As for your credibility, you really have none here, for the reasons given. Your approach has been to try to save face at all costs, even if it means telling more lies on top of lies. You seem to think that others can't tell that you're lying. I assure you they can.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:44 AM   #2425
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,506
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
One "proof" would be that I do not lie.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I cannot claim never to have lied.

Rationalization in 3, 2, 1...
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:46 AM   #2426
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I just do not remember a situation where I did so.
Ample evidence has been given in this thread. You simply ignore it.

Quote:
I can list many situations where I told the truth despite the consequences to me.
Few, if any, here believe your self-serving, self-aggrandizing anecdotes. You want to tell tall tales here and either be believed without evidence or challenge, or have an excuse to lambast skeptics for being categorically critical. It doesn't matter whether you used to be an honest person and got crushed by the weight of a cruel world. The claims you make here are almost exclusively given without evidence, and many are flatly implausible on their face.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:46 AM   #2427
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,506
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I have NEVER stolen anything. Absolutely not. Not even a pen or a pencil. I do not covet a possession belonging to someone else.

See my previous post.

Why not? Because it is wrong.

I had an excellent memory (until I was 38) and remembered any embarrassing incidents for a very long time. Living with memories of my mistakes was bad enough. Living with guilt of stealing something would have made my life miserable.

The tests were written by "ordinary" people who have stolen things themselves.
No one said you did.

Methinks he doth protest too much.
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 10:51 AM   #2428
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
This little test is proof that spirit does not "talk" to you.
How so? Please be more specific.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 04:51 AM   #2429
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
And yes, I would have had to agree with you if I did do drugs.
You just told us you do do drugs:

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Down to one pain tablet a day (from 3 a day).
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 04:52 AM   #2430
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
For example. I gave Tarot card readings. I was accused of possibly doing many readings and picking the one I wanted. That amounts to a lie. I do not do that even if it is dents my credibility.
That's not what I accused you of.
Who said that?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:11 AM   #2431
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Not much to respond to. I did spend quite a bit of time reviewing my history to try to recall incidents of theft or lies.

Some interesting anecdotes, but who cares - right?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:15 AM   #2432
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Except that's not the only example at this forum of you trying to rewrite history and reality in order to support your belief that you have some sort of supernatural gift. This one is just the most recent, and one of the more brazen.

And people aren't just "accusing" you. They're doing that, but then they're providing the evidence to back up their accusations. Your response to that evidence has been to dig yourself in deeper and tell more lies to try to cover up the first ones. At a certain point you just stop answering and come back only with indignant denials.

As for your credibility, you really have none here, for the reasons given. Your approach has been to try to save face at all costs, even if it means telling more lies on top of lies. You seem to think that others can't tell that you're lying. I assure you they can.

Sigh!!! More of the same from you.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:21 AM   #2433
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,006
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
(snip)

Few, if any, here believe your self-serving, self-aggrandizing anecdotes. You want to tell tall tales here and either be believed without evidence or challenge, or have an excuse to lambast skeptics for being categorically critical. It doesn't matter whether you used to be an honest person and got crushed by the weight of a cruel world. The claims you make here are almost exclusively given without evidence, and many are flatly implausible on their face.

So Covid is now reality. A God-sent pandemic to collapse the world and rebuild it.

People worry about a few million deaths. I say it will be billions of deaths. You could say that it was foreseen as a possibility and so my "prediction" is of no value. There are one or two people saying that societal collapse MAY happen and that there should be planning. But there will not be. The odds are that quite a few posters here will not be here in a few years.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:40 AM   #2434
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Not much to respond to.
You haven't given anyone a reason to take you seriously or to believe you take them seriously. Your last few engagements here got a few responses, which you explicitly ignored by announcing that you weren't going to take the time to respond to them.

Quote:
I did spend quite a bit of time reviewing my history to try to recall incidents of theft or lies.
As far as lies are concerned, all you had to do was to review the thread. As I said, your critics have reminded you at length where they believe they have evidence that you lied. But your response to any attempts to do so is...

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Sigh!!! More of the same from you.
So don't whine about not being paid attention to if this is all anyone's going to get from you.

Quote:
Some interesting anecdotes, but who cares - right?
Right. Literally no one cares about further attempts from you to declare how marvelous and virtuous you are.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:41 AM   #2435
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So Covid is now reality. A God-sent pandemic to collapse the world and rebuild it.
None of this handwaving nonsense has anything to do with the post you're responding to.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:45 AM   #2436
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
That's not what I accused you of.
Who said that?
It was certainly not my claim or observation. He mentioned only one reading. But in order to make that reading say what he needed, he changed the meaning of one of the cards. Initially he said that this was indicated by the book he was using. But when the book was consulted, it gave the traditional meaning of the card. He then changed his story to say that he was using his own system. And all these claims were made after the fact, so there is no way to preclude postdicton or ad hoc revision.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 07:50 AM   #2437
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I see there is an report on Havana Syndrome.
Which doesn't match your symptoms.

Quote:
When I said it was microwave radiation everyone scoffed. But the truth is now out.
Having finally managed to skim the report on which these news articles are based, I would have to say the authors of it don't consider it nearly as conclusive as you seem to think it is. Or conclusive at all, to be honest. Of the four potential causes they considered, the speculated effects of pulsed-power RF matched the symptoms the closest. However, they caution the reader not to accept this as a determination of cause, because the statistical correlation is very low. Further, the symptomology data they had to work with was sparse and not very well controlled due to the sporadic methods by which it was collected.

Sorry, but the media's attempts to hype up the science just doesn't match the science.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 12:01 PM   #2438
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,193
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So Covid is now reality. A God-sent pandemic to collapse the world and rebuild it.

People worry about a few million deaths. I say it will be billions of deaths. You could say that it was foreseen as a possibility and so my "prediction" is of no value. There are one or two people saying that societal collapse MAY happen and that there should be planning. But there will not be. The odds are that quite a few posters here will not be here in a few years.
Still no verifiable prediction, I see. Either specify dates and numbers or go away, because you'll never earn the slightest credence here without them.

I even suggested some once, but you refused to be pinned down as usual.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 12:41 PM   #2439
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So Covid is now reality.
What was it before? I agree with Pixel42: if you're going to prophesy here and not be laughed out of the room, you'll need to prophesy by skepticism's rules. You may still get laughed out of the room as your prophecy fails, which they inevitably do. But you have the burden first to justify why skeptics should take you seriously.

Quote:
I say it will be billions of deaths.
How many? Give us a schedule. Deaths or death rate as a function of elapsed time from now, or predicted total deaths for each month or year in the future, starting now and extending as far as your data tells you.

I'm sure you realize that a number of coronavirus vaccines are poised for deployment, and that the U.S. population is expected to be fully vaccinated by summer 2021. Other countries expect similar results. Do your powers of insight tell you anything about the efficacy of these vaccines such that your death-toll prediction makes any sense?

Quote:
You could say that it was foreseen as a possibility and so my "prediction" is of no value.
Your past prediction was incorrect because it wrongly assumed an AIDS-like epidemic, and is otherwise deemed of no value for the reasons already given. You choose not to engage those reasons, so you deserve no further attention on that point.

Your present prediction lacks the specificity to be testable, and so cannot serve as evidence of your claimed prophetic ability. Barring a timely revision or amendment, it too can be dismissed as of no value, and your claims as self-serving.

Quote:
There are one or two people saying that societal collapse MAY happen and that there should be planning.
What are the names of these one or two people? Where and when did they say this?

Quote:
The odds are that quite a few posters here will not be here in a few years.
How many years? How many posters? Which ones?

If you mean "odds" literally as an estimate of probability, please present your statistical argument.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 04:08 PM   #2440
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
There are situations when one is permitted to ethically lie but they are usually to avoid serious harm to others from an attacker or stop some ugly crime or other.
What about parents who tell young children that Santa Claus exists and it was him that brought them their Christmas presents?

That's a lie. A deliberate untruth told to a child. And not done to stop them from an attacker or stop some ugly crime or other.

Do you think that's ethically unacceptable?

Your posts are too full of anecdotes and claims about how great your memory is (or was), how you have outsmarted college professors, how intelligent you are etc.

I've been online for long enough to recognise these as the desperate attempts of someone trying to convince someone of woo, and bigging themselves up in the process by trying to convince the people disagreeing with them what an awesome person they are in an attempt to salvage or create some credibility.

It isn't working.

Your posts are also full of rambling irrelevant anecdotes that bear no relation to the matter at hand, while simultaneously you make excuses for not having time to actually address the criticisms directed at you. Even times JayUtah makes a thoughtful post addressing your specific claims you just brush it off as being too long to read.

How long has it been since you claimed you'd perform your WiFi test to prove that they were the cause of your symptoms? It's been months but all we've had in that time is you making excuses for not doing the tests, complicating the tests by adding confounding factors, you've gotten plenty of help in how you might perform the test. But so far, no tests actually done. Just excuses and procrastination.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 8th December 2020 at 04:14 PM.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.