IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:44 AM   #2641
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,889
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I posted that I was doing quite well. The last week that has changed. I am nauseous, brain fog, debilitated, fatigued, stomach pains and having diarrhea.

So what changed? I have been following the routine that I know does work. Same diet, same pills at the same time.

Perhaps you did something that displeased your god.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:45 AM   #2642
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Magic 8-Ball time! After I made a burnt offering of this morning's toast (somehow the toaster lever got shoved all the way over), I dedicated it to the phantasmic forces governing the revered 8-Ball and asked, "When a failed seer makes a prediction on the Internet and it doesn't come true, will the failed seer frankly admit he/she was wrong?"

The 8-Ball's answer: "Don't count on it."

So true, Eighty. So very true.

I am not a failed seer.

With regard to my prediction about Biden, I was wrong.

However, many worried so much about the threat to him they turned the Capital into a Green Zone. And many others worry about his health. Some are counting the days to see if he beats the record of 32 days. The presidency ages men. Biden cannot take much more "aging".

So, come on man. Gimme a break.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:50 AM   #2643
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Perhaps you did something that displeased your god.

No. I am carrying out his wishes to spread the message. Often, I find the delays are serendipitous. These last few days have illustrated how subtle and how nasty emfs can be. I now know how some people with serious EHS feel and why they choose to sleep in a car in the countryside.

On Monday I must run some errands. I am planning on making a cap and shirt with emf reflective stuff in them that is not obvious.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:03 AM   #2644
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Quote:
My prediction of more problems is based on my message from God that the population is going to be decreased. Trump was part of that, and now Biden will amplify the chaos. We only have to wait 1 year, not four.
Is that an actual verifiable prediction at last? That there will a reduction in the global population in the next year? IIRC that would require a total death toll approaching 100 million, as annual population growth is currently running at about 80 million. The current death toll is about 2.1 million, so you're predicting 40 times more deaths in the second year than the first, despite the fact we now have several effective vaccines. That's a ... bold prediction.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Who predicted it would get so bad? (Apart from me). .
The prediction that it would get this bad is what led governments to implement drastic measures to reduce the impact, with mixed success. You, OTOH, alone predicted that it would get much much worse. A prediction that so far has not been borne out.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:05 AM   #2645
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
For those who claim I am pushing a conspiracy theory (emf harm) you are wrong.
Yes, you are. You took the people to court over allegations they were targeting you with EMF and posted the records of the trial here.

Quote:
For those who claim I am pushing a conspiracy theory (media silenced by industry) you are right.
You're also doing that, having been fed a load of pseudo-scientific hogwash by activist groups and pretending that you can pass it off here to actual scientists who actually work in the appropriate fields, and yourself as some sort of expert.

Quote:
Cell tower radiation is what has changed.
Cell tower radiation changes all the time. But you have provided no valid scientific grounds for your claim that (1) it is causing your health problems and (2) there is a vast conspiracy to cover it up. We spent months helping you prepare an experiment to test (1) on your behalf, but you abandoned it as soon as it became evident you couldn't stall anymore.

You are steeping yourself in fretful interpretations of the science postured to you by media and activists. And yes, that's the links you're posting. They're not scientists, they're activists -- as a moment's careful reading of their literature-survey methods demonstrates.

This is clearly what you want to believe. But if you want anyone else to accept your claims on the subject, you will need to provide evidence and demonstrate the ability to understand and discuss it. It's clear you have none, and no interest at all in any of that.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:07 AM   #2646
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I am not a failed seer.
Yes, you are.

Quote:
With regard to my prediction about Biden, I was wrong.
Yes, you were.

Quote:
However...
And now you're try to shift the goalposts to make it look like your original prediction is somehow borne out by the events that actually occurred. Just like every failed seer and knowingly fake prophet tries to do.

Quote:
So, come on man. Gimme a break.
No. Your frantic attempts to get people to believe you're something you clearly aren't are beyond pathetic at this point.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:09 AM   #2647
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Just a reminder.

I stated before Covid that the coming pandemic would be stealthy and the rich and powerful would not be able to avoid it as they did with the Spanish Flu. SA had a Minister die and so Larry King has also passed on.

I just saw a RT documentary on Covid long-haulers. My 2018 and current symptoms are very similar. So much so, that I think they might have been sensitized by Covid and are now actually EHS. But do you think any one will even consider doing a study? No, of course not. It is loony tunes to even suggest it. Right? Like telling flat-earthers the earth is a sphere.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:22 AM   #2648
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Who predicted it would get so bad? (Apart from me). Not the scientific community who advise governments.
Yes, they did. They've been predicting exactly this sort of pandemic with exactly this sort of spread and death toll for decades. In contrast, you predicted an AIDS-like pandemic profile with up to millions or billions dead. You took the general idea that epidemics are perennial problems for the human race, extrapolated the last pandemic you were familiar with (an anomalous epidemiological profile), and gave us a death toll that's orders of magnitude off.

In other words, you did what every fake prophet does: try to predict something that anyone -- or everyone -- could predict and pretend you're special for doing so. And you couldn't even get that right.

Quote:
Otherwise the preparation would have been intense. Heck, they did not even believe a pandemic was forming until it was too late.
Preparation requires two things: the careful, scientific study of a phenomenon to characterize its likely causes and effects, and the willingness of those who control public policy and resources to act upon the predictions generated by the scientific model. The former is governed by the scientific method; the latter by the ever-shifting sands of politics. The Obama-Biden administration took the scientists seriously and put a plan in place to deal with an eventual epidemic. The Trump administration threw the plan in the trash and -- for entirely political reasons -- tried to pretend nothing was happening. Don't confuse political intransigence with the inability of science to predict and plan for pandemics. Sorry, your latest anti-science rant falls flat. And demonstrates what happens when you don't listen to scientists and put your faith in superstition and nonsense.

Last edited by JayUtah; 23rd January 2021 at 11:48 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:33 AM   #2649
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,214
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I am not a failed seer.

With regard to my prediction about Biden, I was wrong.

However, many worried so much about the threat to him they turned the Capital into a Green Zone. And many others worry about his health. Some are counting the days to see if he beats the record of 32 days. The presidency ages men. Biden cannot take much more "aging".

So, come on man. Gimme a break.
Perhaps I'm not up on the subtleties here, but it looks from the above as if you're saying though you failed as a seer you're not a failed seer because you have applied a retroactive veil of vagueness.

I predicted A and A did not happen, but if you hold on long enough, a B that is tantamount to an A might happen. If it doesn't, we can still look forward to a C that seen through the right prism can be taken for a B. To fully appreciate PartSkeptic's talents we must master the transitive prophecy.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:37 AM   #2650
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I stated before Covid that the coming pandemic would be stealthy...
Which it wasn't. You were basing your hypothetical pandemic on the spread of HIV. In comparison, the spread of nCoV-SARS-2 was like wildfire.

Quote:
...so Larry King has also passed on.
...at age 87 after a whole long string of health problems. I knew Larry King and have worked with him. His health has been fragile for many, many years. That he was rich and powerful and able -- at least in the United States -- to afford much better health care than poor people, he was still a frail old man.

Quote:
My 2018 and current symptoms are very similar. So much so, that I think they might have been sensitized by Covid and are now actually EHS.
Oh, please. This is gibberish.

Quote:
But do you think any one will even consider doing a study?
Many people here contributed months of their time and considerable talent attempting to help you discover whether the purported causes of your health problems were really to blame. You wasted our time and finally expressed no further interest in a scientific test of your claims. You were invited to prove with evidence that you know best and science doesn't, but you chickened out.

Quote:
Like telling flat-earthers the earth is a sphere.
Yes, trying to reason with you is like trying to reason with a flat-Earther.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:43 AM   #2651
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Correlation or causation?

I am keeping my meds and diet the same, and other routines. Because I know they work.

On Saturday, the cumulative effect of exposure to cell towers really hit me hard. I was not able to do much. I had to rest and sleep most of the day. Horrible nausea, brain fog and fatigue.

On Sunday I was in much better shape. Almost normal (for me). Not very tired and could get things done. Did not have to have sleep to heal. In fact, at midnight I took half a sleeping tablet because my mind was now so active. Got up this Monday morning and am into work. Stomach is fine.

I have a friend who is a journalist in the USA. Totally anti-Trump. Also totally anti-EMF harm. Rubbish, nonsense, and loony tunes stuff she reckons. Sigh. The Telcos have done their job well. So God can continue to use it to amplify to effects of Covid. At some point the people will wake up. And I reckon they will be angry.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:45 AM   #2652
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
(snip)

Yes, trying to reason with you is like trying to reason with a flat-Earther.
Strange how I feel the same way about you.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:55 AM   #2653
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Perhaps I'm not up on the subtleties here, but it looks from the above as if you're saying though you failed as a seer you're not a failed seer because you have applied a retroactive veil of vagueness.

I predicted A and A did not happen, but if you hold on long enough, a B that is tantamount to an A might happen. If it doesn't, we can still look forward to a C that seen through the right prism can be taken for a B. To fully appreciate PartSkeptic's talents we must master the transitive prophecy.

It is simple. I have not a professional psychic. I do not claim to have a hotline to any spirit entity, or God. I get omens and sign and feelings. Unfortunately, I am not a machine, so my personal views and ego interferes with both the messages and their interpretation.

So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails. This last one was more of a personal feeling - one in which I got no input from Tarot cards or other omens. I would have advised people not to give it credence (like betting on it.)

I do not care how I rate by others. I get input from the thread which shows me how intelligent (some of you clearly are) people think. I know how some dumb people think as well.

What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase which I am saying is going to get much worse. One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over. This means some parts of the world react and change too slowly. They are at more risk. The USA is definitely one.

My message is that there is HOPE. But after the meltdown.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 01:56 AM   #2654
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Correlation or causation?
There's only one way to find out, but for some reason you refuse to employ it.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:00 AM   #2655
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Strange how I feel the same way about you.
It's easy to see which side is actually employing the same kind of arguments and "evidence" that flat earthers use.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 07:48 AM   #2656
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,214
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is simple. I have not a professional psychic. I do not claim to have a hotline to any spirit entity, or God. I get omens and sign and feelings. Unfortunately, I am not a machine, so my personal views and ego interferes with both the messages and their interpretation.

So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails. This last one was more of a personal feeling - one in which I got no input from Tarot cards or other omens. I would have advised people not to give it credence (like betting on it.)

I do not care how I rate by others. I get input from the thread which shows me how intelligent (some of you clearly are) people think. I know how some dumb people think as well.

What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase which I am saying is going to get much worse. One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over. This means some parts of the world react and change too slowly. They are at more risk. The USA is definitely one.

My message is that there is HOPE. But after the meltdown.
Yes indeed, it is simple. Many people can look at the world, and predict trends and developments, and get them more or less right. But if you claim to know details and the details are wrong, or contend that the prediction involves more than an evaluation of what you see, then the simple word that describes the process is "failure." Being wrong is not a variant form of being right.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 07:55 AM   #2657
SteveAitch
Thinker
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes indeed, it is simple. Many people can look at the world, and predict trends and developments, and get them more or less right. But if you claim to know details and the details are wrong, or contend that the prediction involves more than an evaluation of what you see, then the simple word that describes the process is "failure." Being wrong is not a variant form of being right.
Alt-right?
__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 07:56 AM   #2658
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Strange how I feel the same way about you.
You haven't yet attempted to reason. As I keep pointing out, you're simply decrying science based on your profound misunderstanding of it, claiming all sorts of natural and supernatural abilities you can't demonstrate you possess, and then whining when the skeptics you choose as your audience don't simply take your word for it.

Reasoning begins with facts that have evidentiary potential. At worst what we get from you are anecdotes, many of which are obvious lies. At best we get cherry-picked claims you copy from dubious sources, and then can't discuss further. Then reasoning proceeds to test those facts, which you don't know how to do and abjectly refuse to learn how to do. Then with solid facts in hand, reasoning determines by sound rules of inference what propositions or conclusions might reliably follow. Instead you just call everyone else stupid or irrational if they reject your claims.

None of what you're doing here gives that process more than a tantalizing illusion of a toehold. A number of people have tried to take you seriously, only to be ignored or insulted.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:19 AM   #2659
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I get omens and sign and feelings.
Yes, this is how many self-proclaimed psychics claim they work. It has to be portrayed as "soft" so that it can be walked back when it doesn't work.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not a machine, so my personal views and ego interferes with both the messages and their interpretation.
A common excuse given by self-proclaimed psychics when they fail at providing evidence of their claims. It's an attempt to take credit for apparent success without having to accommodate failures. It doesn't matter how you waffle. Unless you can demonstrate objective evidence of an ability to predict the future at a rate greater than natural, your excuses fall flat.

Quote:
So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails
No. Every time you make a prediction, the skeptics ask you at the time whether it's going to be one you stand beside as evidence of your claimed gifts. And every time you waffle until the answer becomes clear, whereupon you retrospectively claim it either as a bona fide hit or an inconsequential miss. You seem to think we can't see you doing this.

A claim that you can make predictions with an "overall success rate" greater than normal requires the rules to be spelled out in advance and followed methodically. In all the time you have been at this forum you have gyrated spectacularly to avoid a valid test of your claimed abilities. Today is no different.

Quote:
I do not care how I rate by others.
Judging by your performance at this forum, how you rate by others is practically the only thing you seem to care about. You keep telling us tall tales about your unmatched abilities, both normal and supernatural. And you throw some pretty profound conniption fits when those tales aren't taken at face value. Your ongoing arrogance is the foundational problem with your participation at this forum.

Quote:
What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase which I am saying is going to get much worse.
It shouldn't surprise you that claims for which you can provide no evidence are rejected by the skeptics you choose to present them to. For all the ways in which you claim the world is getting worse, you've been shown metrics that show the opposite. The only reason you can give people for why they should accept your predictions for the future is that you have a good track record at predicting the future. But you don't, and you won't submit to a test of that ability. In fact, you're not even very good at faking being a prophet. You make far too many mistakes playing the game. So no, it should come as no surprise to you that when you can't give people good reasons to believe something, they don't.

Quote:
One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over.
Or, there is the reason that there's no evidence to support your position.

Quote:
My message is that there is HOPE. But after the meltdown.
Specifically with respect to COVID-19, your message was that science should stop spending resources discovering and applying a cure, and instead we should just build more hospices for people to go die in. Your message has been that it's God's will that millions or billions should die, and you advocate for a plan that would make that seem more true. Maybe you should consider that your message is being rejected not only because you're an obviously fake prophet, but also because your message per se is sick and twisted.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:50 AM   #2660
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,735
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is simple. I have not a professional psychic. I do not claim to have a hotline to any spirit entity, or God. I get omens and sign and feelings. Unfortunately, I am not a machine, so my personal views and ego interferes with both the messages and their interpretation.

So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails. This last one was more of a personal feeling - one in which I got no input from Tarot cards or other omens. I would have advised people not to give it credence (like betting on it.)

I do not care how I rate by others. I get input from the thread which shows me how intelligent (some of you clearly are) people think. I know how some dumb people think as well.

What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase which I am saying is going to get much worse. One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over. This means some parts of the world react and change too slowly. They are at more risk. The USA is definitely one.

My message is that there is HOPE. But after the meltdown.
Only if "overall success rate" is something quite different from "measurable (and measured) success rate." You seem quite determined to avoid the objective latter so you can claim the subjective former. If all you want is to soothe your ego, that's a good way to do it; but I'd suggest then that the problem isn't that your "personal views and ego interfere with both the messages and their interpretation," it's that your personal views and ego are the message and their interpretation. You're not some indifferent middleman just passing along what a god wants us to hear- you're the ego playing god who just wants us to pay attention to you.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 25th January 2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 09:48 AM   #2661
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over. This means some parts of the world react and change too slowly. They are at more risk. The USA is definitely one.
This bears attention of a different kind. The swiftness with which any part of the world, or a specific country, responds to a crisis depends on many factors having to do with both the country and the kind of crisis. There are many avenues of preparedness that apply at once to all crises and at times to particular events. I agree that effective change in pursuing those avenues will happen at various rates, again depending on the country.

The problem in the United States has been a social and political climate in which facts matter less, and in which there is a lessening desire and/or ability to sift fact from fiction. This may very well lead to downplaying emergent risks. It may certainly lead -- and probably has led -- to political leaders glossing over the risk in the hope that they won't be responsible for responding to a catastrophe on their watch. That also speaks to a crisis of leadership.

But when the root cause is simply an unwillingness to mind the facts, the solution is clearly not more "spirutualism" or other modes of thinking that substitute speculation and wishful thinking for fact. The solution is more critical thinking.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #2662
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails.
You keep claiming this but you have yet to give any examples of how I, or anyone else, am guilty of "twisting and distortion".

It prompted me to look back at the lists of PartSkeptic predictions I've kept over the years, and I noticed we can now finalise the ones concerning Trump's presidency. I've decided to add the Biden prediction to that list - yes I know he's been trying to downplay it, but we all know that in the unlikely event it had been correct he would have been crowing about it as a massive hit for the rest of his life, so it seems only fair to record its actual status.

I found a link to an early list, at this point the first three were hits with one miss and the rest pending. [Other posters have pointed out that 1 and 3 were pretty much already fait accompli at the time he made them, but I was being generous].

So here's the final status for PartSkeptic's predictions re Trump's term as President. Note some were dependant on earlier predictions being hits, and so failed automatically when the predecessor failed.

1. Trump will be chosen as Republican candidate. Status: Hit
2. Trump will win the Presidential election. Status: Hit
3. Trump will be sworn in as President. Status: Hit
4. There will be a very surprising event between 2 and 3. Status: Miss
5. A serious global health problem will be apparent by the end of 2017. Status: Miss
6. Trump will serve a full term. Status: Hit
7. Trump will do well. Status: Miss
8. 5 will be the start of a pandemic that will kill 50% of the population by 2027. Status: Miss
9. The USA will make a pre-emptive nuclear attack on North Korea in September 2017. Status: Miss
10. 9 will not escalate to WW3/war with China. Status: Miss
11. The North Korean nuclear threat will be ended by 12th August 2018. Status: Miss
12. Biden will not live to be sworn in as President on 20th Jan 2021. Status: Miss

So that's 4 hits and 8 misses, giving a final hit rate for this set of predictions of 33%.

The only one where there's any leeway for interpretation is 7, but I doubt even PS's "talent" for subjective validation would rate that one a hit.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 11:19 AM   #2663
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You keep claiming this but you have yet to give any examples of how I, or anyone else, am guilty of "twisting and distortion".
And as a corollary, there have been many attempts to reach suitable clarity on what exactly is being predicted and whether a prediction is made as an ordinary prognostication or a supernatural prophecy. These attempts are almost always fruitless, leaving enough wiggle room for the claimant to shift the goalposts to achieve a hit, or to accuse any skeptics of doing the same thing. The accusation falls flat because the skeptics are the ones trying to fix the goalposts and take the data as they come. Who expects to benefit from ambiguous claims can be determined usually by who is trying to keep them ambiguous.

Quote:
I've decided to add the Biden prediction to that list - yes I know he's been trying to downplay it...
He was given ample opportunity at the time, and was asked several times, to clarify whether he was going to stand by this as a prediction. Any test of his alleged prophetic ability that has any value in this forum must agree at least that the decision to include or exclude trials must be made before the outcome of the trial is known or apparent.

Quote:
So that's 4 hits and 8 misses, giving a final hit rate for this set of predictions of 33%.
Which is at least a proposition that can be debated rationally. As opposed to the vague, handwaving "good" "overall success rate on the big ones," the predictions that took part in the analysis are clearly enumerated, the method of calculation is apparent, and the results -- right or wrong -- are expressed as an objective fraction. These are aspects of the analysis that lend themselves to scrutiny, debate, and -- if advisable -- revision. We've failed to reach any sort of agreement with PartSkeptic on what constitutes a viable prediction, what constitutes a "big" prediction, and what will actually count as a hit or miss. Instead we just get a broad-strokes, nebulous insistence that he is still somehow good at this. It's just the naked demand to be believed, even where evidence is missing or contrary.

Quote:
The only one where there's any leeway for interpretation is 7, but I doubt even PS's "talent" for subjective validation would rate that one a hit.
I cannot conceive of any way of looking at the Trump tenure that qualifies as "doing well," except perhaps his complicity in the Republican party's goal of staffing the judiciary with judges likely to render judgments favorable to their interests. By objective measures of the success of a U.S. Presidency that I can think of, I would judge him a complete failure.

Further, by Trump's own likely criteria he was a failure. It has been widely reported that Donald Trump ran for the office not expecting to win, but rather to promote his business. His businesses now lie in ruin, his properties devalued, and he's facing a likely onslaught of civil and criminal court proceedings.

But whatever criteria you want to use, those had to have been laid down more than four years ago so that we don't have to quibble now over what historical facts might be cherry-picked to support one outcome or another.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:05 PM   #2664
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 50,527
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Just a reminder.

I stated before Covid that the coming pandemic would be stealthy and the rich and powerful would not be able to avoid it as they did with the Spanish Flu. SA had a Minister die and so Larry King has also passed on.

I just saw a RT documentary on Covid long-haulers. My 2018 and current symptoms are very similar. So much so, that I think they might have been sensitized by Covid and are now actually EHS. But do you think any one will even consider doing a study? No, of course not. It is loony tunes to even suggest it. Right? Like telling flat-earthers the earth is a sphere.
Taking Russia Today as a reliable source.
Well, that is a big part of your problem right there...
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 11:37 PM   #2665
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
But whatever criteria you want to use, those had to have been laid down more than four years ago so that we don't have to quibble now over what historical facts might be cherry-picked to support one outcome or another.
Indeed. But as you say getting PartSkeptic to even understand the need for predefined success criteria for his predictions, let alone agree what they should be, has proved impossible.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 25th January 2021 at 11:40 PM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:33 AM   #2666
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Just a note to add more confirmation to the causation rather than correlation.

Yesterday I went to a bank in a mall next to a large cell tower. I was there for two hours. I started feeling the effects of the radiation after half an hour. Tired, brain fog and slight stomach pain. By the time I got back home at 4:40 pm I was not well at all. I went to bed at 6:30 pm and only woke up at 7:45 am today. Muscle pain and feeling quite sick. Almost incapacitated. I went back to bed for a couple of hours.

Unfortunately I MUST go to another bank. I will choose a different mall. I bought a hat and cap which I think I can line inside with foil. I realize I have become quite sensitive. No wonder some of the EHS sufferers do not want to leave their houses.

Once more, like tobacco, time will tell, as the incidents mount to the point they cannot be ignored.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:38 AM   #2667
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
Another anecdote does not "add more confirmation to the causation rather than correlation". The confirmation remains at zero.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:39 AM   #2668
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Just saw the Dutch rioting against Covid curfew. Economies have suffered. The rise in the stock markets is artificial and mainly due to increased money printing. It is unsustainable.

The SA version might create havoc once it spreads. And spread it will.

God's plan seems to be a slow crash so people can change their ways. A fast crash would just leave people wondering what happened and why. As the casualties mount, people will be trying to survive but also wanting to know why.

It took me a while to realize that God's time frame is not a regular time frames. He is patient and has all the time in the world.

Modern technological humans have not seen such out of control events and never seriously anticipated them. They WILL get worse. Tighten your seat belts.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:45 AM   #2669
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Another anecdote does not "add more confirmation to the causation rather than correlation". The confirmation remains at zero.

What are epidemiological studies but a collection of anecdotes? I am a sample of one but a reliable one. You reject personal testimony as only valid in court.

Why do you not accept that you are in fact hearing factual and credible evidence that emf can do harm? Especially when the science supports the harm? There is a mechanism that is well known.

If you looked critically at the science it should convince you. But you believe what you want to believe and so you cherry pick. Just what the Telcos want you to do. They pay for many fake studies that show no harm because they are set up to look at the wrong effects, such are heating, and also are too short.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:49 AM   #2670
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Taking Russia Today as a reliable source.
Well, that is a big part of your problem right there...

If you watch only CNN, then I know what your problem is. I watch BBC, CNN, RTTV, CGTV, Al Jazeera and others. I read the internet news. I use my judgement by comparing the information to other sources. The US main stream media avoid many topics. The US public are in a bubble, even with Fox News.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 01:50 AM   #2671
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,159
As I have explained to you many times, anecdotal evidence is sufficient to form an hypothesis and test it. It is not sufficient to reach a conclusion, as you insist on doing.

Anecdotal evidence was sufficient to form the hypothesis that there was a link between smoking and cancer, but it was (easily obtained) objective evidence that confirmed that hypothesis. Objective evidence for your hypothesis of a link between emf and ... whatever symptoms you are claiming are due to it today would also be easily obtained if that hypothesis was correct, but there is still none in the scientific literature despite many studies (and who funded them is irrelevant if the scientific method was scrupulously followed).
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 02:03 AM   #2672
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
@Pixel42.

Your list is an example of the selective distortion I talk about. (I spent a minute or two trying to spell "talk". I had no idea what came after "t" - an example of brain fog) . You use certain criteria and do a hit/fail test.

Example Trump will be successful. Much as I disliked a number of Trumps polices and global warming was one of them, he did boost the economy until Covid hit. I would give a 80% success rate domestically even though globally he set back climate change.

By comparison, I say that Biden will be a disaster, much as I support many of his policies, such as global warming, removing the Muslim travel ban and so on. I do not think he will address the underlying inequity and the corporate lobbying and control. He may just go to war (not a prediction, although you seize on some personal opinions as such).
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 02:10 AM   #2673
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,977
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
As I have explained to you many times, anecdotal evidence is sufficient to form an hypothesis and test it. It is not sufficient to reach a conclusion, as you insist on doing.

Anecdotal evidence was sufficient to form the hypothesis that there was a link between smoking and cancer, but it was (easily obtained) objective evidence that confirmed that hypothesis. Objective evidence for your hypothesis of a link between emf and ... whatever symptoms you are claiming are due to it today would also be easily obtained if that hypothesis was correct, but there is still none in the scientific literature despite many studies (and who funded them is irrelevant if the scientific method was scrupulously followed).

You are so wrong. Do you not understand that corporates fund studies to disprove others? They did it with the initial 1994 Henry Lai study showing DNA damage. They paid another scientist to replicate the study to show the results were wrong. When the second scientist confirmed Lai's work they then tried to discredit both scientists. They learned never to disprove a study showing harm by repeating it.

Are you not following the EHT lawsuit against the FCC? With thousands of studies showing harm? A trajectory familiar to many toxins that were thought harmless only to be shown to be harmful.

So you would be quite happy to be subjected to 3,000 uW/sqm meter, as I was, for 24 hours a day for 3 months?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 04:53 AM   #2674
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,008
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are so wrong. Do you not understand that corporates fund studies to disprove others? They did it with the initial 1994 Henry Lai study showing DNA damage. They paid another scientist to replicate the study to show the results were wrong. When the second scientist confirmed Lai's work they then tried to discredit both scientists. They learned never to disprove a study showing harm by repeating it.

Are you not following the EHT lawsuit against the FCC? With thousands of studies showing harm? A trajectory familiar to many toxins that were thought harmless only to be shown to be harmful.

So you would be quite happy to be subjected to 3,000 uW/sqm meter, as I was, for 24 hours a day for 3 months?
Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that Henry Lai was right, and that cell-phone radiation damages our DNA.
How does that relate to the list of symptoms you ascribe to exposure to EMF?
Are they a result of damage to your DNA, and, if that is the case, how do they manifest so quickly after that exposure? You appear to be claiming that a 15-minute dose of cell-phone radiation is enough to permanently damage your DNA.
Does Lai's research support your conclusion?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:24 AM   #2675
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,951
Get on the ball!

Q: O magic 8-Ball, is empirical, objective evidence a requirement for proving a hypothesis?

Magic 8-Ball: Yes.

A succinct and definite answer. Though I stand by my hypothesis that Ouija Boards, tarot cards, bird entrails, tea leaves, and the Magic 8-Ball have equal predictive value (zero), the latter's signal advantage is that it requires no so-called interpretation.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:52 AM   #2676
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,735
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
@Pixel42.

Your list is an example of the selective distortion I talk about. (I spent a minute or two trying to spell "talk". I had no idea what came after "t" - an example of brain fog) . You use certain criteria and do a hit/fail test.

Example Trump will be successful. Much as I disliked a number of Trumps polices and global warming was one of them, he did boost the economy until Covid hit. I would give a 80% success rate domestically even though globally he set back climate change.

By comparison, I say that Biden will be a disaster, much as I support many of his policies, such as global warming, removing the Muslim travel ban and so on. I do not think he will address the underlying inequity and the corporate lobbying and control. He may just go to war (not a prediction, although you seize on some personal opinions as such).
Well, let's review that list, shall we?
Quote:
1. Trump will be chosen as Republican candidate. Status: Hit
2. Trump will win the Presidential election. Status: Hit
3. Trump will be sworn in as President. Status: Hit
4. There will be a very surprising event between 2 and 3. Status: Miss
5. A serious global health problem will be apparent by the end of 2017. Status: Miss
6. Trump will serve a full term. Status: Hit
7. Trump will do well. Status: Miss
8. 5 will be the start of a pandemic that will kill 50% of the population by 2027. Status: Miss
9. The USA will make a pre-emptive nuclear attack on North Korea in September 2017. Status: Miss
10. 9 will not escalate to WW3/war with China. Status: Miss
11. The North Korean nuclear threat will be ended by 12th August 2018. Status: Miss
12. Biden will not live to be sworn in as President on 20th Jan 2021. Status: Miss
Out of 12 items, eleven were objectively strict "yes/no" formulations, with no leeway for using any other criteria to determine whether they were correct than whether or not they happened. Interestingly, the only one that wasn't subject to such an objective test was the one you've decided on as your example to refute the charge of objective failure- number 7, "Trump does well," which is pretty obviously open to interpretation. The only thing Pixel42 was incorrect about was when she said that "I doubt even PS's "talent" for subjective validation would rate that one a hit"- you certainly proved her wrong there, didn't you?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 26th January 2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: grammar
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:15 AM   #2677
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Do you not understand that corporates fund studies to disprove others?
I understand that you believe this. I also know that you believe this because, not being any sort of scientist, you are simply quoting certain activist literature, thinking it makes you look smart. In order to "disprove" something contrary to the facts, one would have to abandon the scientific method, and this would be ultimately detectable regardless of the funding source. But your authors aren't scientists either. They're anti-5G activists, and they've been protesting every "G" since it all started. They know they can't win on the science, so they take the easier route of just being anti-capitalist. That's a much easier sell.

Quote:
They did it with the initial 1994 Henry Lai study showing DNA damage.
Back to the Lai memo, which you cannot discuss intelligently. Unlike you, I have actually read the memo, not just what some activist gang has tried to make it say. Are you finally ready to have a conversation about what the memo actually talks about? Or are you going to keep whining from a position of profound ignorance?

Quote:
Are you not following the EHT lawsuit against the FCC? With thousands of studies showing harm? A trajectory familiar to many toxins that were thought harmless only to be shown to be harmful.
The lawsuit and its "thousands" of studies categorically disregards anything funded by industry on the presumption that it must therefore have simply bought and paid for results favorable to its cause. It doesn't even begin to consider counterevidence according to scientific merit. Why? Because for all its lofty posturing, the Environmental Health Trust is just another anti-5G, anti-capitalist group groveling for donations -- "Oh, won't someone please think of the children?" That strategy works well at stirring up activism. It doesn't work at all in court, where you actually have to confront and explain contrary evidence.

Further, "shown to be harmful" is not a viable scientific conclusion with respect to your literature. The body of "thousands" of studies commonly cited by 5G activists doesn't point to any coherent set of "toxins" or one coherent set of symptoms or effects. It's a hodge-podge of individual results, all different, none of them revealing any underlying theory of causation that rises higher than, "Those evil corporations are making us all sick." In true activist form, these purported scientific results are just lumped together under the umbrella theory that those are just all the ways 5G makes you sick. It's junk science. When "thousands" of studies all go a different direction, you didn't actually discover anything.

Quote:
So you would be quite happy to be subjected to 3,000 uW/sqm meter, as I was, for 24 hours a day for 3 months?
Your toy doesn't actually measure anything. It was sold to you by more people who prey on gullible souls like you. You demonstrated that you don't have the slightest interest in discovering what is actually making you sick. What makes you think we want to hear you continue to whine about it?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:41 AM   #2678
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,212
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Trump ... did boost the economy until Covid hit. I would give a 80% success rate domestically even though globally he set back climate change.
By what econometric standard do you claim that? Prior to the pandemic, the Trump administration's major contribution the U.S. economy was a deficit-financed tax cut in 2017, favoring mostly big business. Contrary to prediction, it did not "trickle down," as The Economist reported last year. Post-2017, business investment in traditional economic sectors was at an all-time low. The funds generated by the tax cuts were generally used to by back companies' own stock, which generates activity in the U.S. equities market. But as economists are forever reminding us, the stock market is not the economy. It generally benefits only those with disposable income to invest in it, which is less than 10% of all Americans. And now the United States is sitting on a budget deficit amounting to trillions -- with a T -- of dollars, somewhere around double what it was during the Great Recession.

Further, as much as Trump fans would like to ignore the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the manner in which the Trump administration reacted to it has profound economic effects. Trump is not responsible for causing the pandemic. But he is responsible for responding to it in a way that failed to alleviate anticipated economic effects, if not outright contributed to ongoing economic failure. As much as Trump fans want to believe a crashed economy was unavoidable, the examples of other countries show that not to be the case. A President's decisions in the face of catastrophe are part of his overall record, whether they favor your beliefs or not.

And note that you're cherry-picking the data. You made a blanket prediction. Then, out of all the ways in which a President might be said to "do well," you cherry-pick the ones you think he performed well on and simply disregard the specific ways in which he was a disaster. But econometrics is not a cut-and-dried field. So please tell us by what metrics you judge his economic policy a success.

Quote:
I do not think he [Biden] will address the underlying inequity and the corporate lobbying and control.
Is this a prediction?

Donald Trump didn't do any of that either when he was President, yet you claim he had a strong overall record. In his last few days as President, he rescinded his order that prevented ex-government officials from lobbying for corporations for five years after their terms ended, freeing up his administration officials to do exactly the thing he said he was going to stop. Why are the criteria for Presidential success different depending on which President you're talking about? Are we finished pretending you're not just a Trump fan?

Quote:
He may just go to war (not a prediction, although you seize on some personal opinions as such).
When someone claims to be a prophet, he should expect people to seize on his predictions. When someone claims to be a prophet only sometimes, and won't explain until too late whether any one prediction is divine inspiration rather than regular prognostication, he should expect to be treated with extreme skepticism, if not simply laughed at.

Last edited by JayUtah; 26th January 2021 at 09:14 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 09:14 AM   #2679
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,735
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
... He [Biden] may just go to war (not a prediction, although you seize on some personal opinions as such).
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
..
When someone claims to be a prophet, he should expect people to seize on his predictions. When someone claims to be a prophet only sometimes, and won't explain until too late whether any one prediction is divine inspiration rather than regular prognostication, he should expect to be treated with extreme skepticism, if not simply laughed at.
I have a prediction of my own- that if Biden does indeed go to war, PS's "personal opinion" will suddenly become a prediction that he will want to claim credit for as a hit to add to his list. After all, his line between divine inspiration and regular prognostication seems to be fluid enough that there's no reason PS can't later decide that that actually was a message from god that he mistook at the time for a personal opinion. I would guess that a person who claims that god has used him to send a message to humanity doesn't have any incentive to come up with a standard by which to doubt that, or any test that isn't simply self-serving affirmation.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 26th January 2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:48 AM   #2680
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,889
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
God's plan seems to be a slow crash so people can change their ways. A fast crash would just leave people wondering what happened and why. As the casualties mount, people will be trying to survive but also wanting to know why.

What particular “ways” should people be changing?
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.