IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 26th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #2681
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
...if Biden does indeed go to war, PS's "personal opinion" will suddenly become a prediction that he will want to claim credit for as a hit to add to his list.
Which is why the only fair assessment of his claim is to consider every single prediction, regardless of its purported origin.

PartSkeptic claims he's a prophet of some sort. Variously, either his gods talk to him, or his Tarot readings reveal the future. Or, lately, his claim is to read "omens and signs and feelings." But scientifically speaking, that puts the cart before the horse. Those would be hypotheses that attempt to explain an observation, and the observation that we'd be trying to explain is that PartSkeptic predicts the future at a greater rate than normal, in an objectively observable way such as by a statistical test of significance.

Everyone predicts the future using ordinary rational methods of observation, generalization, and inference. We expect that the general population's ability to do so in any measurable way would manifest as a normal distribution of the measurement. And we rightly expect that PartSkeptic, if he were using the same ordinary means of prediction that we do, will fall somewhere within that distribution.

But at this point in the process we don't care about purported causes. Because first there has to be a demonstration of effect. PartSkeptic's result on the predictive ability measurement simply has to be higher than normal, for whatever cause. If it's not, then there's simply no effect, and it's meaningless to speculate about cause.

Quote:
there's no reason PS can't later decide that that actually was a message from god that he mistook at the time for a personal opinion.
And the beauty of the scientific method is that it doesn't matter. You don't get to disregard what you think is noise in order to argue that you rise above that noise. Claimants' self-evaluations are primarily about positing a filter for the data that doesn't ring any immediate warning bells. Oh, you have to ignore Donald Trump's economic performance during the pandemic because those are extraordinary circumstances. You have to leave out research funded by corporations because it's obviously biased. These are all just pseudo-scientific tricks to get to you disregard data on a basis other than its actual quality.

Obviously we'll never get PartSkeptic to commit to whether any prediction is supernatural. Obviously we'll never reach a consensus on the criteria for hits or misses, or whether some prediction should be considered significant. Thankfully we're not to that point in the process. We're still trying to determine whether there's any effect for which we even need to contemplate a cause. Not only do we not have to filter the predictions, we shouldn't. Everything has to be on the table, otherwise we're just quibbling over ways to prejudice the data.

Quote:
...any test that isn't simply self-serving affirmation.
Andrew Carnegie said that the most basic of human desires is to be great. The difficulty in human interaction comes from the differences in what people think is greatness, what steps ought to be taken to achieve it, and the roles of other people in that process. And disappointment arises not just when we fail to achieve what we think is greatness, but also when others fail to see us as great in the way we want to be, or worse -- when we perceive that others hinder us.

Wanting to believe that you're special in some way, and therefore great because of it, is not inappropriate. Believing that you are special in that way is certainly understandable, even if it sometimes leads to odd behavior when we've been a little self-delusional about it. However, wanting others to unemotionally believe you're special in that way requires convincing evidence. There's just no rational way around that. Accusing others of living in a benighted state for formulating greatness differently isn't an acceptable substitute. It's beside the point. Accusing them of stubbornness doesn't help either. They're literally telling you what you need to do in order for them to do what you ask of them.

Last edited by JayUtah; 26th January 2021 at 12:06 PM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #2682
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
God's plan seems to be a slow crash so people can change their ways.
If by "God's plan" you mean the coronavirus issues, we went through this already. You originally predicted a "slow" onslaught of illness because you wrongly modeled your "prophecy" on the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Because you don't know how viruses work, you thought that would be typical enough of a global pandemic that you could just change the dates and "predict" the next one, and it would be just like the last one. What you didn't know was the study of epidemiology which was predicting a rise in SARS-type respiratory viruses and Ebola-type viruses that are quite a bit more contagious than HIV-type viruses. Their incubation periods are much shorter, so you become contagious much sooner after your own contact. SARS-type viruses are considered reasonably "fast." And SARS-Cov-2 spreads faster because the contagious periods and the symptomatic periods are different.

You failed to predict almost every important aspect of this pandemic. You modeled your prediction after a previous, anomalous pandemic. You didn't even do any ordinary study that a would-be prophet would do if he were trying to predict in a convincing way. Your profound ignorance of epidemiology and your mistaken attitude that you know everything already and that no one can know differently have screwed you over. And to try recover from that failure, you're simply declaring that the data somehow support your prediction when they do exactly the opposite. Gaslighting is a really, really bad way to try to get someone to believe you.

I assume "change their ways" means to become more spiritual, as you've often clarified. I'm always amused at how religious people seem to connect a wide variety of events to some proposed desire to run fleeing to the priests and temples. If you want to motivate behavior, there has to be some connection between the stimulus and the likely consequences of the behavior. Contrary to what you might think, there is no widespread belief that all pestilence and disease is punishment from a god, and so consequently that trying to appease this god might make it go away. People who were already religious-minded might be motivated by a pandemic to become more so, but that's a consequence of existing belief. Conversely, people who were already scientifically-minded might be motivated to increase their involvement in science. That too is a consequence of existing belief. If you want to compel a change in belief, you have to that the new belief is more true according to evidence, that it explains more evidence and explains it better, with greater parsimony. Merely imagining that it might be responsible for this or that event won't convince anyone.

Quote:
A fast crash would just leave people wondering what happened and why. As the casualties mount, people will be trying to survive but also wanting to know why.
The problem with your logic here is that if a pandemic looks like the ordinary, scientifically familiar forms of disease, there's no desire to look to any other cause. If you want people to consider supernatural causes, you have to show them something that nature can't explain. But your ignorance of nature is not letting you do this convincingly. You don't know what's right to expect, so you can't even spin the observations accordingly. Not only do you fail at being a prophet, you fail at being a fake prophet.

And I'll just point out that devoutly religious folks and Trump supporters were in the vanguard of claiming the pandemic was a hoax, that it was no big deal, and that we shouldn't change our ways because of it. It was, in fact, the scientifically-minded folk who urged the changing of ways: specifically in the ways we behaved toward others and cared for their safety and our mutual benefit. Explain that.

Quote:
It took me a while to realize that God's time frame is not a regular time frames. He is patient and has all the time in the world.
Yes, every fake prophet eventually takes a "wait and see" approach, claiming that early failures in his predictions will be reversed by long-term trends. It's a ploy to keep the rubes hooked when things start to go wrong. Your untold millions of deaths from the coronavirus haven't panned out, so now you're deploying the standard excuses.

Quote:
Modern technological humans have not seen such out of control events and never seriously anticipated them.
You keep saying this. But you keep ignoring the clear evidence that epidemiologists predicted exactly this sort of pandemic, and that at least some world leaders heeded those warnings and put plans in effect, with varying degrees of success. Your ignorance of how the science has been done doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quote:
They WILL get worse.
What exactly will get worse? How much worse? By what standard? As of this writing, approximately 2 million people have died of COVID-19 related illness. Are you still predicting billions of deaths? According to what precise time scale?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:16 PM   #2683
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
How I feel about warning people about the dangers of cellphone radiation!


https://twitter.com/LionelMedia/stat...222016/photo/1
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:48 PM   #2684
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
(snip)

What exactly will get worse? How much worse? By what standard? As of this writing, approximately 2 million people have died of COVID-19 related illness. Are you still predicting billions of deaths? According to what precise time scale?
If you want to be precise, the exact message (not a prediction) from an entity I presume to be God was in summary "Humankind cannot control overpopulation so I will use a pandemic to reduce the population."

There was no time scale. There was no precision. I had to make informed judgements as to when and how. How much of that is "informed" by spirit or God I do not know.

My logic goes like this:
1) Why would God inform me that there was going to be an inconsequential event?
a) From this, I think that the population reduction will be greater than the world has ever seen.

b) I did not know the time frame, but I got the "feeling" that God wanted humankind to become better at controlling the environment. This means a more spiritual outlook instead of the selfishness.

2) Why would I be given all the insights into the afterlife, souls, demons, spirits, reincarnation, and the Infinite Intelligence if I was not supposed to tell others?

On this forum I am not trying to "prove" that I can reliably make predictions. I want feedback, and I that I have gotten. I see how people rationalize what they do not want to believe is possible or probable. Many use an exceptionally high bar of rigorous scientific proof to deny spirit.

If you are following a wild life guide in the game park, and he tells you he thinks that there is a hippo or rhino around and that the group must go slow and do certain things, do you ask for scientific proof? Or do you listen to a person experienced in such things. If he is wrong, no harm. If he is right and you ignore him, you do so at your peril.

Can a scientist predict what is going to happen to the trajectory of the pandemic? To the population? About societal collapse. About spiritual rebirth. Not if there are unexpected events. They work on trends.

So if a person like me can occasionally see the future, even if it is blurred and not precise, would that not be a warning? Something to consider? Or do you prefer "flying blind" and hope that God will keep you safe? If you do not believe in God then do you just accept that your fate is predetermined and you just have to accept it?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 11:28 PM   #2685
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,148
The difference between you and a wild life guide, PartSkeptic - and I can't believe I'm still having to point this out after all these years - is that a wild life guide demonstrably has genuine skill and expertise. All you have is confirmation bias and subjective validation.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 05:17 AM   #2686
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,996
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is simple. I have not a professional psychic. I do not claim to have a hotline to any spirit entity, or God.
You don't claim to be receiving messages from any spirit entity? Really? I was going to look back through this thread to find the numerous times you have claimed exactly that, but, as it happened, I didn't need to because you just can't help yourself, can you?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
If you want to be precise, the exact message (not a prediction) from an entity I presume to be God
So which is it- do you or do you not claim you get messages from god?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
was in summary "Humankind cannot control overpopulation so I will use a pandemic to reduce the population."
Then your god is an idiot.
One of the most frustrating things about debating with you is your inability to process new information and learn from it. You have been shown, many, many times, that this is simply not true, yet you continue to insist that it is.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
There was no time scale. There was no precision. I had to make informed judgements as to when and how. How much of that is "informed" by spirit or God I do not know.
So you're just making it up, then. Any hits you can ascribe to your god, and any misses to us 'twisting and distorting' your "predictions". A closed loop of self-puffery.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
My logic goes like this:
1) Why would God inform me that there was going to be an inconsequential event?
Well, you said your god didn't inform you of anything. Then you said he did. Logic isn't really your strong point, is it?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
a) From this, I think that the population reduction will be greater than the world has ever seen.
When you say 'you think', is this god's conclusion or yours? If, as seems most likely, this huge population reduction fails to materialise, who are you going to blame? Let's get this on the record now, before you start to try to wiggle out of it.
Oh, and how many people will die, by when?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
b) I did not know the time frame, but I got the "feeling" that God wanted humankind to become better at controlling the environment. This means a more spiritual outlook instead of the selfishness.
Oh, you don't know how long this will take. How convenient.
All right: what percentage of humanity will die at the hands of your god? Ballpark figure will do.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
2) Why would I be given all the insights into the afterlife, souls, demons, spirits, reincarnation, and the Infinite Intelligence if I was not supposed to tell others?
Well, you just said you didn't get all these 'insights'.
However, if you now think you do, then it's not about 'not telling others'- in fact, that's pretty much all you do. Instead of constantly shouting about how great and special you are, why not actually back this up with some evidence? If you have this amazing insight into this supposed spirit world, then tell us something you could not have learned any other way.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
On this forum I am not trying to "prove" that I can reliably make predictions. I want feedback, and I that I have gotten. I see how people rationalize what they do not want to believe is possible or probable. Many use an exceptionally high bar of rigorous scientific proof to deny spirit.
This 'exceptionally high bar', as you put it, is actually 'any evidence at all'. That you have failed so miserably on this is not our fault.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
If you are following a wild life guide in the game park, and he tells you he thinks that there is a hippo or rhino around and that the group must go slow and do certain things, do you ask for scientific proof? Or do you listen to a person experienced in such things. If he is wrong, no harm. If he is right and you ignore him, you do so at your peril.
The existence of rhinos has been well-proven, by the science you so despise.
Produce the same level of evidence for the existence of demons and spirits, and then perhaps people will believe you.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So if a person like me can occasionally see the future, even if it is blurred and not precise, would that not be a warning? Something to consider?
No. You're just making stuff up. It is not worth any consideration whatsoever.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Or do you prefer "flying blind" and hope that God will keep you safe?
Depends on the god, I guess. The Christian one apparently loves me and wants to save me. Yours, on the other hand, wants me dead.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
If you do not believe in God then do you just accept that your fate is predetermined and you just have to accept it?
False dichotomy. If, as I believe, there are no gods, then what agency is predetermining my fate? If you made at least a cursory attempt to understand atheism, you might not ask ridiculous questions like this.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #2687
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 15,465
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You keep claiming this but you have yet to give any examples of how I, or anyone else, am guilty of "twisting and distortion".

It prompted me to look back at the lists of PartSkeptic predictions I've kept over the years, and I noticed we can now finalise the ones concerning Trump's presidency. I've decided to add the Biden prediction to that list - yes I know he's been trying to downplay it, but we all know that in the unlikely event it had been correct he would have been crowing about it as a massive hit for the rest of his life, so it seems only fair to record its actual status.

I found a link to an early list, at this point the first three were hits with one miss and the rest pending. [Other posters have pointed out that 1 and 3 were pretty much already fait accompli at the time he made them, but I was being generous].

So here's the final status for PartSkeptic's predictions re Trump's term as President. Note some were dependant on earlier predictions being hits, and so failed automatically when the predecessor failed.

1. Trump will be chosen as Republican candidate. Status: Hit
2. Trump will win the Presidential election. Status: Hit
3. Trump will be sworn in as President. Status: Hit

4. There will be a very surprising event between 2 and 3. Status: Miss
5. A serious global health problem will be apparent by the end of 2017. Status: Miss
6. Trump will serve a full term. Status: Hit
7. Trump will do well. Status: Miss
8. 5 will be the start of a pandemic that will kill 50% of the population by 2027. Status: Miss
9. The USA will make a pre-emptive nuclear attack on North Korea in September 2017. Status: Miss
10. 9 will not escalate to WW3/war with China. Status: Miss
11. The North Korean nuclear threat will be ended by 12th August 2018. Status: Miss
12. Biden will not live to be sworn in as President on 20th Jan 2021. Status: Miss

So that's 4 hits and 8 misses, giving a final hit rate for this set of predictions of 33%.

The only one where there's any leeway for interpretation is 7, but I doubt even PS's "talent" for subjective validation would rate that one a hit.
This is exceedingly generous. #1 occurred only after Trump was the runaway favorite. Link And #2 was more or less a 50/50 proposition. And #3 is essentially a repeat of #2.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 27th January 2021 at 08:08 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #2688
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,733
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
If you want to be precise, the exact message (not a prediction) from an entity I presume to be God was in summary "Humankind cannot control overpopulation so I will use a pandemic to reduce the population."

There was no time scale. There was no precision. I had to make informed judgements as to when and how. How much of that is "informed" by spirit or God I do not know.

My logic goes like this:
1) Why would God inform me that there was going to be an inconsequential event?
a) From this, I think that the population reduction will be greater than the world has ever seen.

b) I did not know the time frame, but I got the "feeling" that God wanted humankind to become better at controlling the environment. This means a more spiritual outlook instead of the selfishness.

2) Why would I be given all the insights into the afterlife, souls, demons, spirits, reincarnation, and the Infinite Intelligence if I was not supposed to tell others?

On this forum I am not trying to "prove" that I can reliably make predictions. I want feedback, and I that I have gotten. I see how people rationalize what they do not want to believe is possible or probable. Many use an exceptionally high bar of rigorous scientific proof to deny spirit.

If you are following a wild life guide in the game park, and he tells you he thinks that there is a hippo or rhino around and that the group must go slow and do certain things, do you ask for scientific proof? Or do you listen to a person experienced in such things. If he is wrong, no harm. If he is right and you ignore him, you do so at your peril.

Can a scientist predict what is going to happen to the trajectory of the pandemic? To the population? About societal collapse. About spiritual rebirth. Not if there are unexpected events. They work on trends.

So if a person like me can occasionally see the future, even if it is blurred and not precise, would that not be a warning? Something to consider? Or do you prefer "flying blind" and hope that God will keep you safe? If you do not believe in God then do you just accept that your fate is predetermined and you just have to accept it?
(Sigh) More and more, when I read stuff like this from you, I'm thinking that the only possible (even proper) response left is something like this-

__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 27th January 2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: found better pic
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 10:59 AM   #2689
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,881
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
My logic goes like this:
1) Why would God inform me that there was going to be an inconsequential event?

Your logic assumes facts not in evidence.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:06 AM   #2690
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
If you want to be precise...
You need to be precise. We're quite accustomed to the various ways fake prophets excuse a failure to substantiate their claims, such as by keeping all the standards fluid. No precision, no praise.

Quote:
I had to make informed judgements as to when and how. How much of that is "informed" by spirit or God I do not know.
If the message you claim you got from your god didn't include that information, then your judgment can't have been "informed" by it. And as I pointed out previously, you didn't use ordinarily available information at the time regarding the likely future of pandemics. And you're mischaracterizing the information currently available regarding this ongoing pandemic. I don't see where information plays any part of the process you seem to be following.

Throughout your tenure here, your "information" seems more likely to be stuff you just make up and assume is true regardless of fact. You carry on as if you already know everything there is to know about the topics you've chosen. And if you can't tell whether the thought in your head is a divine revelation or just your imagination, you have no business asking anyone to rely upon you.

Quote:
My logic goes like this:
1) Why would God inform me that there was going to be an inconsequential event?
If your logic begins by begging the premise that you are receiving messages from god, and you did nothing to test that critically, then most people in this forum will not receive your "logic" as such. Reliable inference does not proceed from unproven premises. Indeed, begged premises are a clear sign that the logic being presented is not the reason why claimant believes his claim.

Quote:
a) From this, I think that the population reduction will be greater than the world has ever seen.

b) I did not know the time frame, but I got the "feeling" that God wanted humankind to become better at controlling the environment. This means a more spiritual outlook instead of the selfishness.
A gigantic pile of non sequitur. Granted, if you have somehow got it into your head that some god wants the population decreased, then it follows we should observe a great loss of life. But the facts don't bear out that this pandemic has been "greater than the world has ever seen," and it is highly unlikely that they will. If you take pains to avoid converting your conditional, then the inference is sound enough. But you cannot supply facts to demonstrate the consequent.

Pandemics haven't historically led to greater religiosity. Non sequitur. Religious belief has rarely if ever led to greater environmental responsibility. Non sequitur. For all your lofty godlike wrapping paper, all you're espousing here is fairly pedestrian socio-economic anti-capitalist advocacy. Your point is stronger if you avoid mixing it with religion, Tarot cards, and your wacky version of gods, demons, and the afterlife.

But it appears your actual goal is just more fake prophecy. You're trying to wrap trendy social concerns up with current events and slap some religious label on it in a way that sounds ominous and mysterious, elevates you to prophet status, but which, in the final analysis, simply makes no sense. It touches on things that will appeal to people, and combines them in a way that superficially seems prescient and profound. But because it's so blatantly calculated, I have to conclude you're just fleecing the rubes.

Quote:
2) Why would I be given all the insights into the afterlife, souls, demons, spirits, reincarnation, and the Infinite Intelligence if I was not supposed to tell others?
You jumped over the part where you prove all those things exist, much less that you're an expert in them. Your "logic" is based on others accepting these extraordinary properties as self-evidently true. And it seems to amount to little beyond ego reinforcement. You seem to be seeking a role in your milieu that makes you feel important and makes others look up to you. "Hey, I'm the mouthpiece of some god and thus the savior of all humankind! I'm pretty darn important!"

Quote:
On this forum I am not trying to "prove" that I can reliably make predictions.
This statement could be considered true only in the most pedantic sense. It's true you have scrupulously avoided the responsibility to supply any proof of any of your claimed abilities, natural or supernatural. But it is abundantly obvious that you want it believed that you can make reliable predictions of the future, and that you do so in part by supernatural means. You've simply claimed that you can reliably do that, talk to gods, mysteriously see into the afterlife and so forth. And you want others just to take your word for it that all this is true about you. This is the bright-line claim underlying your whole tenure here.

All else you've done at this forum, such as advocate for social change, is predicated on your claim to be various kinds of supernatural agent. So trying to skirt the issue by saying it's not something you set out to prove makes the rest of your participation here useless. Unless you prove it, you can't expect to be taken seriously even by your own standards.

Quote:
I want feedback, and I that I have gotten. I see how people rationalize what they do not want to believe is possible or probable. Many use an exceptionally high bar of rigorous scientific proof to deny spirit.
Yes, I think you come to this forum because you can be certain its "feedback" will be almost entirely negative. People bent over backwards to help you discover the source of your illness, but you just wasted their time. The negative feedback gives you the excuse to accuse others of being stubborn and closed-minded, or at best mean-spirited. It seems to be a thing among self-proclaimed prophets that they have to be persecuted, resented for their gifts, and so forth. Being accepted for who you think you are and being rejected for who you think you are, are just two parts of the same exercise. The "Oh, woe is me!" act you put on occasionally is a pretty dead giveaway.

People are not rationalizing your claims away because they stubbornly don't want to believe you're a prophet. They're declaring that they'd be willing to believe it if the appropriate evidence exists. They're asking for that evidence, but you're unwilling to provide it. Therefore they're not obliged to believe the claim or obey the advocacy you base on it.

The bar you're being asked to clear is actually pretty low as far as scientific standards go. Framing it as biased or irrational denial on the part of others is trying to shift the burden of proof. You're the one claiming to be a prophet. That's an extraordinary affirmative claim. It's your burden to prove it, not others' to dispel it. No one else is responsible for your unwillingness to provide evidence. No one else is obliged to accept lesser forms of conviction just because it would make your job easier. You're just whining because no one will accept your foisted lower standard of proof.

Quote:
If you are following a wild life guide in the game park...
I'm going to stop you right here. Your analogy simply repeats all the presumptions you want everyone to just accept about you without evidence.

If I'm in a wildlife park and some ordinary-looking bloke comes up to me and claims to be a wildlife guide, I'm not obliged to take that claim at face value. If, on the basis of that claim, he proposes to direct my behavior in the park, I will want some evidence of his ability to do that in a safe and productive way. My whole purpose in being the park is to see the animals. But I am aware that it presents dangers I may not appreciate. I will exercise my own caution, but I will also accept the instruction of a qualified guide.

Now if this bloke should happen to point to an elephant and call it an ostrich, or tell me that a crocodile is perfectly harmless, I have reasons to doubt his claim. These are things I can know for myself, and which a bona fide wildlife guide should also know. His having made so many glaring errors on verifiable things makes it inadvisable for me to trust him on points where expertise is strictly needed.

This is where you are in this forum. You have made so many glaring errors of verifiable fact, and then doubled-down on them, that your credibility is near zero. You have shown such a willingness to lie that your critics have taken to presuming it of you. You refuse to provide evidence that you're a prophet, so the best we can do is take your word for it. But you burned that bridge too by all the lying. No one should take your word for anything.

Quote:
Or do you listen to a person experienced in such things.
I require people who claim expertise or ability to be able to demonstrate it before I will trust their exercise of it. I especially require them not to lie in easily discoverable ways.

Quote:
If he is wrong, no harm.
Nonsense. Every decision has costs and consequences on either side. Especially where some advisor's credibility is so low, there would be reason to doubt that decisions he advocates are altruistic or well-considered and ample reason to examine it carefully for hidden risks or ulterior motives.

There is risk, for example, in expending irrecoverable resources without a likely benefit. Your analogy involves only a pleasant holiday in a wildlife park, expending only a nominal entry fee. That's not remotely equivalent to a planetary economic and environmental policy, or wholesale abandonment of science and critical thinking in favor of foggy, touchy-feely predictions. Your "no harm in trying" approach hides that premise.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but I can point to many examples of severe detrimental consequences that have occurred from following false prophets. Therefore the rational requirement to test claims of prophecy according to objective measurements.

Your callous approach to cost-benefit analysis is why I doubt your claim to be an engineer. Much of the formal training of engineers is helping them to understand the costs and consequences of decisions. Costs arise from merely being presented with a decision and having to analyze what to do. That analysis then shows the further costs and consequences attached to each possible choice. This mode of thinking is employed so rigorously and so routinely that thinking like it becomes second nature for engineers, even in their everyday lives. Your inability to approach decision-making in an equitable way says to me that no one should take your advice.

Quote:
Can a scientist predict what is going to happen to the trajectory of the pandemic? To the population? About societal collapse.
Yes.

Quote:
About spiritual rebirth.
That's not something science cares about.

Quote:
Not if there are unexpected events.
The COVID-19 pandemic was not an unexpected event. You tried to conflate political denial of it and subsequent poor government performance in response as evidence that science did not foresee it. You are simply wrong.

Quote:
They work on trends.
You can't demonstrate the slightest bit of correct understanding of how science works. You're the one trying to work on trends. You based your "prophecy" on pidgin understanding of epidemiology and a past pandemic that you didn't realize was anomalous. You're looking to past events and extrapolating that future events will be just like them. Then you lay that out as a "prophecy." And now you're trying to shoehorn present facts, Cinderalla-stepsister fashion, into your beliefs so that you can claim a "hit."

Quote:
So if a person like me can occasionally see the future, even if it is blurred and not precise, would that not be a warning? Something to consider?
We are considering it. What you want is for us not to consider it, but to simply accept your claims without additional thought. The first thing to consider is whether you can actually predict the future better than others. If you cannot, then there is no need to consider anything else because it all flows from that premise.

Your claim is exactly that your method is better than the one used by skeptics. But now you're trying to walk it back and tell us it may be "blurred and not precise." Those two claims can't live together. The rational way to make decisions would be to rely upon whatever method is demonstrated to be more reliable, regardless of how it purports to come about. Skeptics are asking you for the evidence that your method is more reliable by asking you for evidence that it produces results that rise above the null hypothesis.

But because you have none of that, you're trying to reframe the debate to be about predetermined conclusions and people you don't like. You're trying to shame people away from rational criticism. You're trying to say we should still rely on you even if you can clear only an absurdly low bar. Skeptics will accept your role as a prophet if you can provide evidence for it. They will change their beliefs to follow the evidence. In contrast, you don't seem interested in measuring whether your method is as reliable as you claim. You want others to exercise blind faith to your benefit. It's clear which party here has the unshakable predetermined conclusion.

It's remarkably telling that you are almost completely tone-deaf to the issues this forum was created to discuss, as they relate to you and your claims. You have zero interest in knowing whether you actually have the gifts you claim. You display zero frame of reference outside your own head canon. But you certainly want people to trust and respect you, to acknowledge that you speak for some god, and grant you the privilege of directing their lives. The entire source of conflict in your thread is your disappointment that others are not treating you like some exalted being. It doesn't even occur to you that you might need to give people a good reason to believe you are one.

Quote:
Or do you prefer "flying blind" and hope that God will keep you safe? If you do not believe in God then do you just accept that your fate is predetermined and you just have to accept it?
Nothing about that has anything to do with a skeptical, critical-thinking approach to living one's life. Skeptics aren't "flying blind." They aren't trusting in superstition to keep them safe; they've put their trust into sound principles of gathering and testing information and drawing well-reasoned conclusions as far separated from emotion as possible. They're not resigned to some predetermined fate.

You really can't conceive that anyone could think entirely differently than you, can you?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:25 AM   #2691
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Serendipity and coincidence strikes once more.

Our next door neighbor was telling us about a good friend of hers who had become a Kiwi and went back to New Zealand. She tested negative and was quarantined. After 10 days she still tested negative and could then move about. She saw lots of people and then after a while she tested positive. They had her using a tracking app, and are taking action.

We laughed and said to her that it was all over the news internationally. The neighbor was not aware of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-intwo-months
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:28 AM   #2692
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
For myself, I finally feel much better after two days at home. Brain fog and aches and pain gone. Not sleepy or tired. What I did notice was that my right index finger went numb on the open side, and my leg also felt somewhat numb. They are recovering slowly.

Once more, the only activity that has been different is go to the bank. The banks are full of WiFi. The last time I was aware of just how bad it was. I reckon the partial foil inside my shirt and cap helped me.

I have to go again, but the next time I will increase the amount of shielding. Scoff all you like. You guys will be aging at two to three times the rate you would be without radiation. And getting medical problems at possibly two to three times the rate also.

If you like, you can call it normal aging and/or bad luck.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #2693
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
(Sigh) More and more, when I read stuff like this from you, I'm thinking that the only possible (even proper) response left is something like this-


Thanks for the good luck wishes.

However, I have always had good luck. Even now I can see the many blessings I have. I finally have very little pain and fatigue. I have a great wife and life is good. She sold her factory to one person and her business to another. Both good people and good deals. Especially in such a climate. I was able to advise her legally on both contracts.

You do not have to rely on me. Take my advice or leave it. No one is twisting your arms.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:39 AM   #2694
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The banks are full of WiFi. The last time I was aware of just how bad it was.
What method did you use to determine that "the banks are full of wifi?"

Quote:
I reckon the partial foil inside my shirt and cap helped me.
What method did you use to determine that a tinfoil hat had the claimed effect?

Quote:
Scoff all you like.
You're not being treated unfairly. It is your responsibility to prove with evidence that what you claim is true. If you insist that skeptics believe you, but refuse to provide evidence in favor of that belief, then you can expect scoffs from skeptics.

Quote:
You guys will be aging at two to three times the rate you would be without radiation. And getting medical problems at possibly two to three times the rate also.
You're the one who's supposedly taking all the precautions and yet you're the only one -- or perhaps in a very small group -- who are claiming adverse effects. The rest of us are not taking any of the precautions you recommend, and don't seem to be having near the problems you are. As I said, I've been among all sorts of radio emissions for the decades of my professional career and I'm in much better health by all the customary metrics than others my age. I think this is because I take my doctor's advice on lifestyle choices.

Since you've made another prediction, I suppose we should add it to the pile. You're claiming we'll all get sicker at a rate 2-3 times greater than those who take your precautions.

Quote:
If you like, you can call it normal aging and/or bad luck.
If it's aging at a rate higher than normal by a factor, then by definition it isn't the normal rate. Do you even listen to yourself?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #2695
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You do not have to rely on me. Take my advice or leave it. No one is twisting your arms.
You're literally asking people to rely upon you, claiming there's no harm if they do so and you turn out to be wrong. You're literally trying to suggest that people are irrational for not trusting you.

No, no one has any reason to believe anything you say. And no, no one is obliged to consider themselves irrational just because you say they must be for not believing you. They have taken great pains to lay out the rational reasons for not accepting your claims. You literally sidestep every single word of it. It's utterly delusional to suggest your critics are irrational when you pay zero attention to their reasons.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:44 AM   #2696
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Part of the reason why God is going to cull humans...

https://ewn.co.za/2021/01/27/dramati...in-ocean-study

Over fishing has savaged populations of some sharks and rays by more than 70% in the last half-century, leaving a "gaping, growing hole" in ocean life, according to a new study...

Targeted for their fins, oceanic white tips are also the victims of indiscriminate fishing techniques. Their global population has dropped 98% in the last 60 years.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 11:51 AM   #2697
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Part of the reason why God is going to cull humans...
No, just the latest piece of environmental activism you've latched onto and tried to weave into your delusions of grandeur in the aforementioned non sequitur way. But by all means keep distracting from the points people are making to you.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #2698
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,197
I realize that not all religious ideas are shared, and do not address this specifically to PS, but must say that it's surpassingly odd that some people believe God wants to cull the population through disasters and pandemics, while at the same time so many claim that the very same God hates gay sex, contraception and abortion. That's one crazily conflicted god.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 12:33 PM   #2699
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That's one crazily conflicted god.
Yeah, it's almost like people's gods are just mirrors of themselves. But that would never be the case, right?

In the Judeo-Christian tradition, God has given humans dominion over the Earth. The more business-oriented believers in this declaration interpret it to mean they can do whatever they want and not be held responsible for moral consequences. That's what dominion means. Other believers, reading the same declaration, say that God is displeased at the way we're treating the Earth and cite a religious reason behind environmental activism. Two opposite points of view, stemming from the same dictate, and each avowed as a moral absolute.

Similarly, PartSkeptic vacillates between telling us his god is going to cull the herd because we're overpopulated, and then because we humans do such terrible things. The moral framework is murky there. It takes little effort to see why someone might oppose overpopulation. It takes as little effort to see why someone might advocate, say, for better fiscal stewardship. Lumping them all into a theistic narrative is where they go wrong.

It's inevitable, expected, and probably even advantageous that humans have different opinions about right conduct and our responsibility to ourselves and to each other. What I find disastrous is when these differences are pinned to some divine, unassailable source and thereby placed beyond comment and criticism. And of course they deny that they're doing this, even though it's plainly apparent to anyone who doesn't believe in the god.

Then inevitably this gives rise to people who claim to speak for the gods. And here we are.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #2700
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,452
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
It is simple.
Sure. Why is it that you are unable to work it out?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I have not a professional psychic.
Why would you? There is no such thing. Or are you counting the claimants? That is a very different thing.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I do not claim to have a hotline to any spirit entity, or God.
Great. We agree that you have no hotline to anything.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I get omens and sign and feelings. Unfortunately, I am not a machine, so my personal views and ego interferes with both the messages and their interpretation.
Hogwash.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So one has to look at my overall success rate on the big ones. It is good, despite the twisting and distortion in order to rate them as fails.
Nope. you fail so many times that it has become amusing It almost warrants creating a bingo card.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
This last one was more of a personal feeling - one in which I got no input from Tarot cards or other omens. I would have advised people not to give it credence (like betting on it.)
Why on earth should anyone care about your random "feelings"? My "feeling" is that you have no clue what you are talking about. Is that somehow evidence of something else? Of course not.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I do not care how I rate by others. I get input from the thread which shows me how intelligent (some of you clearly are) people think. I know how some dumb people think as well.
Well that is underhanded You should see why, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase which I am saying is going to get much worse.
You have presented NO evidence that it is, and all the actual evidence dictates that your wild claims are false. What should one do with such evidence, in your opinion?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
One reason for this is that people want to be positive, and many have been dulled by the many messages of doom from all over. This means some parts of the world react and change too slowly. They are at more risk. The USA is definitely one.
From personal experience, I know this is utterly false. Have you experienced being homeless? I have. For a couple of years. But I picked myself up and made my own way for myself.

Why was god absent?

Why had I no need for any god at all?

Why could I do that for myself without any god?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
My message is that there is HOPE. But after the meltdown.
Hope? Sure, I never lost hope, even at the darkest times, but I needed no god to provide it.

I have no idea why you "need" some "god" to prop up your strange fantasies, but I certainly do not have any such need
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #2701
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,733
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Thanks for the good luck wishes.

However, I have always had good luck. Even now I can see the many blessings I have. I finally have very little pain and fatigue. I have a great wife and life is good. She sold her factory to one person and her business to another. Both good people and good deals. Especially in such a climate. I was able to advise her legally on both contracts.

You do not have to rely on me. Take my advice or leave it. No one is twisting your arms.
I really have to question how good someone can actually be at interpreting messages and hints from god who is apparently so terrible at getting them from ordinary humans.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 27th January 2021 at 05:18 PM. Reason: emphasis
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 10:52 PM   #2702
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
From an EHT mailout

We had our day in court. The truth was on our side and the federal judges asked excellent questions indicating that they read the scientific and policy evidence that EHT has submitted to the FCC over the last decade much of which is now being used as key evidence in this historic case.

Environmental Health Trust et al v. FCC is an historic case aimed at getting the FCC to reconsider, revise, and update its 24-year old exposure limits for radiofrequency radiation (RFR) from cellphones, cell towers, Wi-Fi networks, smart meters, and other wireless communication devices and facilities. Briefs were filed jointly with Children's Health Defense.

"I’m just going to be very upfront with why I am inclined to rule against you," stated Honorable Judge Robert L. Wilkins (a chemical engineer by training) in his questions to FCC counsel Ashley S. Boizelle as he questioned the process by which the FCC and FDA had determined safety.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 10:54 PM   #2703
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I really have to question how good someone can actually be at interpreting messages and hints from god who is apparently so terrible at getting them from ordinary humans.

Do you really think I did not "get" your message?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 12:00 AM   #2704
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,148
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
What surprises me is the total rejection that the world might be entering a very horrific phase
I have no idea where you get this from, I for one despair for the future of the world. Climate change is at the top of my list of concerns, though future pandemics are also on it. Needless to say a mythical god deliberately making things worse in order to eventually make things better does not feature on it at all.

What most makes me despair, however, is supposedly intelligent and educated people who reject humanity's precious store of painstakingly acquired knowledge and understanding and choose instead to wallow in ignorance and superstition.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 28th January 2021 at 12:02 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 05:26 AM   #2705
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,733
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Do you really think I did not "get" your message?
From the way you responded to that one? Demonstrably so. Do you need a hint?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 08:02 AM   #2706
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Yesterday I went to a bank in a mall next to a large cell tower.
You do realize that when you're very close to a cell tower, you reach a point where you receive markedly less radiation from it? You're suddenly under the feedhorns, not in front of them. And the issue here is that you knew you were near a cell tower, so we have to consider the psychosomatic effect.

Last edited by JayUtah; 28th January 2021 at 08:34 AM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:06 AM   #2707
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
"I’m just going to be very upfront with why I am inclined to rule against you," stated Honorable Judge Robert L. Wilkins...
Don't leave us hanging. Why was Judge Wilkins inclined to rule against the FCC?

Quote:
(a chemical engineer by training)
You seem to be implying that Judge Wilkins, by virtue of this training, should know something about radio-frequency energy and its effects on the human body. Did that expertise come into play in his questioning of the FCC? Did Judge Wilkins address the science proffered by the activists, and if so, what did he say about it?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #2708
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I have no idea where you get this from, I for one despair for the future of the world.
This is sort of a facet of protest culture that leaks into activism. If you aren't protesting exactly the same things as some other group, in exactly the same way, they're likely to turn on you even if, from an outside perspective, you're seen to stand practically shoulder to shoulder. We're not thronging to his religion, so we must therefore not believe anything the religion is trying to teach. I can certainly believe something, just not for religiously-mandated reasons. And conversely, just because I happen to agree with something a religion teaches doesn't mean I have to also advocate the religion.

Quote:
Needless to say a mythical god deliberately making things worse in order to eventually make things better does not feature on it at all.
The conflation of religion with social activism is dangerous. It's both bad religion and bad advocacy. I don't dispute that past, present, and future pandemics are a serious concern. But in rejecting that they have to be the wrath of some god, I'm not also disputing what's being wrongly attributed here. It may very well be that respiratory viruses become the new chronic health concern, just as decades ago there was considerable focus on sexually-transmitted infections. And this, along with other things, makes me afraid for the direction the world is taking.

Theists get very much trapped in that conflation. If you reject their gods, then you must also reject whatever good they attribute to belief in gods, and accept whatever evils that belief enjoins. They're unable to detach a sense of right and wrong from the religion that they think gave them that belief. And therefore they aren't easily able to see that atheists can have a well-considered sense of right and wrong without religion.

Quote:
What most makes me despair, however, is supposedly intelligent and educated people who reject humanity's precious store of painstakingly acquired knowledge and understanding and choose instead to wallow in ignorance and superstition.
Not only they themselves, but that they advocate others do the same. "Becoming more spiritual" to me simply means finding more things to disagree upon in ways that preclude rational discussion. Of course "become more spiritual" really means "join my religion." And it seems to me like the theist argument is always, "If everyone just belonged to my religion, all our problems would be solved." That in turn is just a different way of saying, "Everyone needs to think like me, and then there will be no more problems."

So it's even more of a cop-out than just ignoring scientifically testable knowledge. It's just rhetoric that places one's thinking beyond any intellectual process, regardless of what basis that process uses. It's a process guaranteed to foment division and conflict, not bring people together.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 07:00 PM   #2709
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic four days ago
The Infinite Intelligence is getting just what it wants - entertainment.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic Today
Part of the reason why God is going to cull humans...
Sooooo....... you pray to a God that entertains itself by mass murdering humans?

Has it occurred to you, that people reading your posts, may not like your "God"?

Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 10:44 PM   #2710
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Chaos!

Part of God's plan. So far it appears to be working. I have been saying that society must change. Just culling people will not do it. The globe is seeing a "Perfect Storm" of many unsustainable events all coinciding.

Riots in many places. Even Holland! Capitol Hill stormed. Trump supporters even more angered.

Gamestop. I have long advocated regulation that stop traders from "gaming" the market. Short selling is one because it encourages people to manipulate a stock with rumor. Elon Musk was targeted. High speed computer algorithms just transfer money to big corporates.

Biden. Although I approve of some of his actions, the sudden reversal discredits the USA. Makes the Russian and Chinese systems look good.

Money printing. A Ponzi scheme that cannot stop. Like an addiction also.

"Interesting times" seems too tame a description, unless it is British understatement.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:00 PM   #2711
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
This from an virology "expert". I summarize:

"The vaccines are safe. I have read the reports. The vaccines have no short term or long term harmful side-effects."

Does anyone see how illogical this statement is? Propaganda.

A long term effect is one that is only seen by observation after a long period. There has been no "long term" observation. The human race is part of a risky experiment. If it fails, science will get a serious black eye.

I am definitely Covid vaccine hesitant. I will wait (a few years) to see if any long term effects emerge. I was the victim of Fluoroquinolone. A long term effect only noticed after years. And then still downplayed by the Pharmas.

I think I will be exempt from being forced to take the vaccine because of my age.


I see that some people are developing allergic reactions. Some on the injection site. An allergy is the body attacking non-pathogenic substances. With human cells being altered to grow "spikes" on their surface and "spikes" being distributed in the body, the immune system targets what was previously a healthy cell. Maybe the immune system will be prompted to attacked other healthy cells. The cytokine reaction is where the immune system goes into overdrive and kills healthy cells. This is what killed many Spanish Flu victims.

And where would I be if I did not add the catalytic effect of cell phone radiation? Which is a slow process. Slow irreversible long term harm?
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:14 PM   #2712
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Does anyone see how illogical this statement is? Propaganda.
I see you making unfounded assumptions about the determination of long-term effects in immunology, a field you have no expertise in. You have no business criticizing the expertise of others.

Quote:
I am definitely Covid vaccine hesitant.
Then stay away from everyone else.

Quote:
With human cells being altered to grow "spikes" on their surface and "spikes" being distributed in the body...
No, that's not how the COVID-19 vaccine works. Every time you attempt to describe how it works, you get it colossally wrong. Just stop. You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
And where would I be if I did not add the catalytic effect of cell phone radiation?
I've asked you several times to substantiate your claim of this supposed catalytic effect. You claimed electromagnetic field energy makes every physical condition worse. All you've ever done to substantiate this is wave your hand vaguely at "the science." Put up or shut up.

Also, I asked you some specific questions about the EHT v. FCC court case that you're trying to report on. I assume you didn't answer the questions because you're not familiar enough with the case to have those answers.

Last edited by JayUtah; 28th January 2021 at 11:24 PM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:24 PM   #2713
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,197
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Chaos!

Part of God's plan. So far it appears to be working. I have been saying that society must change. Just culling people will not do it. The globe is seeing a "Perfect Storm" of many unsustainable events all coinciding.

Riots in many places. Even Holland! Capitol Hill stormed. Trump supporters even more angered.

Gamestop. I have long advocated regulation that stop traders from "gaming" the market. Short selling is one because it encourages people to manipulate a stock with rumor. Elon Musk was targeted. High speed computer algorithms just transfer money to big corporates.

Biden. Although I approve of some of his actions, the sudden reversal discredits the USA. Makes the Russian and Chinese systems look good.

Money printing. A Ponzi scheme that cannot stop. Like an addiction also.

"Interesting times" seems too tame a description, unless it is British understatement.
Bizarre. Somehow or other, when we replace the stupidest, most corrupt, divisive, racist, incompetent liar ever to stain the presidency with someone at least passably intelligent and human, you find a way to say that it's his victory that discredits the USA? Maybe those microwaves have fried a brain or two.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:35 PM   #2714
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Which is why the only fair assessment of his claim is to consider every single prediction, regardless of its purported origin.

PartSkeptic claims he's a prophet of some sort. Variously, either his gods talk to him, or his Tarot readings reveal the future. Or, lately, his claim is to read "omens and signs and feelings." But scientifically speaking, that puts the cart before the horse. Those would be hypotheses that attempt to explain an observation, and the observation that we'd be trying to explain is that PartSkeptic predicts the future at a greater rate than normal, in an objectively observable way such as by a statistical test of significance.

Everyone predicts the future using ordinary rational methods of observation, generalization, and inference. We expect that the general population's ability to do so in any measurable way would manifest as a normal distribution of the measurement. And we rightly expect that PartSkeptic, if he were using the same ordinary means of prediction that we do, will fall somewhere within that distribution.

But at this point in the process we don't care about purported causes. Because first there has to be a demonstration of effect. PartSkeptic's result on the predictive ability measurement simply has to be higher than normal, for whatever cause. If it's not, then there's simply no effect, and it's meaningless to speculate about cause.



And the beauty of the scientific method is that it doesn't matter. You don't get to disregard what you think is noise in order to argue that you rise above that noise. Claimants' self-evaluations are primarily about positing a filter for the data that doesn't ring any immediate warning bells. Oh, you have to ignore Donald Trump's economic performance during the pandemic because those are extraordinary circumstances. You have to leave out research funded by corporations because it's obviously biased. These are all just pseudo-scientific tricks to get to you disregard data on a basis other than its actual quality.

Obviously we'll never get PartSkeptic to commit to whether any prediction is supernatural. Obviously we'll never reach a consensus on the criteria for hits or misses, or whether some prediction should be considered significant. Thankfully we're not to that point in the process. We're still trying to determine whether there's any effect for which we even need to contemplate a cause. Not only do we not have to filter the predictions, we shouldn't. Everything has to be on the table, otherwise we're just quibbling over ways to prejudice the data.



Andrew Carnegie said that the most basic of human desires is to be great. The difficulty in human interaction comes from the differences in what people think is greatness, what steps ought to be taken to achieve it, and the roles of other people in that process. And disappointment arises not just when we fail to achieve what we think is greatness, but also when others fail to see us as great in the way we want to be, or worse -- when we perceive that others hinder us.

Wanting to believe that you're special in some way, and therefore great because of it, is not inappropriate. Believing that you are special in that way is certainly understandable, even if it sometimes leads to odd behavior when we've been a little self-delusional about it. However, wanting others to unemotionally believe you're special in that way requires convincing evidence. There's just no rational way around that. Accusing others of living in a benighted state for formulating greatness differently isn't an acceptable substitute. It's beside the point. Accusing them of stubbornness doesn't help either. They're literally telling you what you need to do in order for them to do what you ask of them.

Your post is unusually reasonable. Except you are wrong on some points.

I do not claim to be a prophet of any sort. I have written about my observations and given one important message from spirit (probably God). I committed to two clear supernatural predictions. The Trump Tarot cards and the pandemic. A number of other statements of mine are "informed" by personal opinion. I do so, because it shows that communications from the spirit world are both vague and subtle for the most part. They are also not 100% correct.

I am not a "typical" person in wanting to be great. I get embarrassed by recognition after what I consider to be "doing my job". I wrote a book using a pseudonym. I would have made it free if that helped it to sell.

There are other assumptions made about "all people" that do not recognize that there are "exceptions". I often do not fit those. Fake and false memories for example (before I started a serious mental decline.) I did not have those. Pareidolia was another, although I now (in the past two years) have short bursts of thinking I am seeing a person or dog when suddenly seeing a shadow.

You are seriously wrong in your assumption that I am self-deluded. You make that assumption in order to try to avoid the possibility and probability that the supernatural exists. I see this tactic all the time with atheists. Attack the person to discredit them.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:48 PM   #2715
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Your post is unusually reasonable.
You admit you don't read them. You have no basis therefore to determine whether they are typically reasonable. And in this case I wasn't talking to you. I have made other posts responding directly to you, challenging your assertions, answering your questions, and asking some of my own. Address those instead, please.

Quote:
I do not claim to be a prophet of any sort.
And then you go on to describe how you're a sort of prophet.

Quote:
I am not a "typical" person in wanting to be great.
No, you're very atypical in your desire to be thought of as great. Your agenda here is relentless in trying to get people to accept you as a normal expert in nearly every topic you bring up, as well as an extraordinary expert in the supernatural. You just got finished complaining about how irrational people are when they don't give you the benefit of the doubt when you claim to have insight into the afterlife, gods, demons, etc. You're frankly obsessed with establishing a superlative reputation.

Quote:
Fake and false memories...
Nothing to do with what I posted. Quit rambling and stick to the point.

Quote:
You are seriously wrong in your assumption that I am self-deluded.
No.

I have supported my claim thoroughly. You simply ignore all of it. If you want to dispute the points I raise, address them.

Quote:
You make that assumption in order to try to avoid the possibility and probability that the supernatural exists.
It is not an assumption. It is a conclusion drawn from your unwillingness to provide evidence that supernatural exists and that you are in touch with it.

Quote:
I see this tactic all the time with atheists. Attack the person to discredit them.
If you believe you are being attacked, report the post for moderation as such behavior is forbidden at this forum. I am attacking the claims you are making, not you as a person. You simply can't deal with it, so you're trying to convert the debate into an emotional one.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:06 AM   #2716
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,148
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I do so, because it shows that communications from the spirit world are both vague and subtle for the most part. They are also not 100% correct.
You have yet to provide a shred of objective eidence for either the existence of the spirit world or your ability to communicate with it. But thank you for confirming that your prognostications are so utterly worthless they could still be safely ignored, even if your ridiculous claims were true.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 05:38 AM   #2717
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,733
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
...I do so, because it shows that communications from the spirit world are both vague and subtle for the most part. They are also not 100% correct.
...
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You have yet to provide a shred of objective eidence for either the existence of the spirit world or your ability to communicate with it. But thank you for confirming that your prognostications are so utterly worthless they could still be safely ignored, even if your ridiculous claims were true.
"God answers all prayers- it's just that sometimes he says no."

Where would the woo be without the copout it needs for when it goes wrong?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 06:27 AM   #2718
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,831
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Bizarre. Somehow or other, when we replace the stupidest, most corrupt, divisive, racist, incompetent liar ever to stain the presidency with someone at least passably intelligent and human, you find a way to say that it's his victory that discredits the USA? Maybe those microwaves have fried a brain or two.
It was all well and good when your slapdash homemade still caught your house on fire, but then you went and reversed course by putting it out. Tsk tsk.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 07:46 AM   #2719
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,207
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Where would the woo be without the copout it needs for when it goes wrong?
Indeed, science doesn't propose to be able to answer every question, and in some people's minds that shortcoming is somehow its fatal flaw. Religion variously proposes that it does have all the answers, but then -- even worse -- it ends up admittedly being subject to the inscrutable whims of capricious gods. And that's somehow the better way of doing things.

Amazing how few hours it takes for PartSkeptic to go from, "What's the harm in following someone like me, who's an expert in the spirit world?" to "It's vague and subtle and I don't really know how it works."
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 11:05 AM   #2720
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,881
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"God answers all prayers- it's just that sometimes he says no."

Where would the woo be without the copout it needs for when it goes wrong?

See also, “...unless people change their ways.”
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.