IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 01:46 PM   #2761
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
“If you decide you don’t want it, don’t worry, the military will help convince you.”
Any other stereotypes about the US Army you want to peddle?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 02:24 PM   #2762
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Who hates the military?

My own personal interaction with them makes me laugh, not hate.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 15th November 2020 at 02:26 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #2763
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am also a veteran of the OD green and you completely missed the point. On a scale of one to ten you scored a twelve.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #2764
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

A lot of people in this thread just plain hate the military.
And that is a major reason why I don'tlike to call myself a Liberal or a Progessive; too ,many of them just plain despise the military.
I served four years in the US Army and am proud of my service. I guess that mekes me a Facists in the eyes of aome people here.
I understand your thoughts on this. I consider myself a lefty and yet support the Australian military. I guess because the military is a symbol of power that lots of political outsiders to the military, simply use it as a political football. I can imagine it is annoying for those who have actually served. ( I haven't served.)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 02:59 PM   #2765
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

And that is a major reason why I don'tlike to call myself a Liberal or a Progessive; too ,many of them just plain despise the military.
I served four years in the US Army and am proud of my service. I guess that mekes me a Facists in the eyes of aome people here.
Where is this coming from? Who hates the military? Some of us don't like the uses to which the military is put, but those decisions are made by elected civilian leaders. The guy getting getting blown up by an IED in Kandahar didn't choose to be there, and I wish he wasn't. Nobody hates wars more than the guys who have to fight them. Based on recent VA scandals, the real military -- the people on the front lines -- deserve to be treated a lot better.

That's entirely apart from defense contractor boondoggles, Congress appropriating money for weapons that the military doesn't want, generals covering up abuse of their troops, etc. etc.

Last edited by Bob001; 15th November 2020 at 03:02 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 03:02 PM   #2766
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't hate the military.

Both my brothers and my dad were in the military.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th November 2020 at 03:04 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 03:03 PM   #2767
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It was a joke, obviously.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 03:30 PM   #2768
xjx388
Philosopher

Everything I’m hearing leads me to believe that Pfizer has already contracted with McKesson to distribute vaccines. From there, McKesson distributes to State public health agencies. Texas has begun signing up clinics and determining their capacity to store vaccine. I’m sure other States have their own plans.

This all seems to be happening without much input from the Feds. It looks to me like a partnership forged between the private sector and State governments.
Old 15th November 2020, 04:22 PM   #2769
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

That's really not an answer to the question I asked about where that came from.

So, I'll break it down further and more clearly.

Who? Name names. Flailing about with something on par with "everybody hates me" is not helpful to you or anyone else.

While I certainly can accept that you feel this way - personally, I strongly doubt that your feelings are based well in reality. Certainly, many liberals and many progressives have more nuanced positions about the US military than just loud and unqualified support (verbal, that is - when it comes to actually supporting the troops as people, Democrats have a notably better record than Republicans at last check, much as liberal, progressive, and Democrat are not all the same thing, despite the overlaps), but as for despising the military? Not so many.

Who? Again, name names.

If you're talking about, for example -

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
“If you decide you don’t want it, don’t worry, the military will help convince you.”
You were being oversensitive. newyorkguy was not advancing that as a serious position, by the look of it. But then, to me, it looked like he was poking at things being spread by the idiots on the conspiracy theory right in a particularly obvious way.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th November 2020 at 04:27 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 05:03 PM   #2770
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Scott W. Atlas, Trump prefered advisor on Covid tweeted

@SWAtlasHoover
The only way this stops is if people rise up. You get what you accept. #FreedomMatters #StepUp
Quote Tweet

philip lewis
@Phil_Lewis_
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced an epidemic order for 3 weeks, starting this Wednesday.
In-person learning for high schools and colleges are halted. Indoor dining, theaters, stadiums, organized sports (except pros) are no longer open.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 05:05 PM   #2771
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Wasn't Whitmer the target of a kidnapping plot by people objecting to Covid restrictions just last month?
Old 15th November 2020, 05:33 PM   #2772
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Scott W. Atlas, Trump prefered advisor on Covid tweeted

@SWAtlasHoover
The only way this stops is if people rise up. You get what you accept. #FreedomMatters #StepUp
Quote Tweet

philip lewis
@Phil_Lewis_
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced an epidemic order for 3 weeks, starting this Wednesday.
In-person learning for high schools and colleges are halted. Indoor dining, theaters, stadiums, organized sports (except pros) are no longer open.
Is Atlas claiming "this" is the economic burden?

It's pretty clear he doesn't means "this" pandemic.

Guess these people haven't been burned yet by overflowing hospitals and refrigerator trucks for morgues.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th November 2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 15th November 2020, 06:42 PM   #2773
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Phew, daily numbers are going down. For a minute there, I thought we were in trouble.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 07:05 PM   #2774
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't hate the military. My dad served 20 years. Husband is a Navy vet. Probably got thyroid cancer from serving on nuclear sub. Sister is both an Air Force and an Army veteran. FIL Navy vet. BIL is an AF vet.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 07:15 PM   #2775
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
From Worldometer:

Phew, daily numbers are going down. For a minute there, I thought we were in trouble.
Or it's a weekend.
I expect >200,000 by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 15th November 2020, 07:18 PM   #2776
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or it's a weekend.
I expect >200,000 by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Yeah, I was being ironic.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 09:04 PM   #2777
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is Atlas claiming "this" is the economic burden?

It's pretty clear he doesn't means "this" pandemic.

Guess these people haven't been burned yet by overflowing hospitals and refrigerator trucks for morgues.
When it comes to commincable diseases, Atlas is a Quack, pure and simple.
And the "rise up" comment is really dangerous in view of that kidnapping plot against Whitmer.
BTW WHitmar basically told Atlas to shove it up his butt. though in a politler way.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th November 2020 at 09:07 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 05:14 AM   #2778
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A story in this morning's New York Times highlights differences between the U.S. and Europe, both of which are having a Fall surge in Covid-19 cases. Basically, Europe has chosen to close business but keep schools open, while the U.S. is doing the opposite.
Quote:
“I’m sure the Europeans didn’t want to restrict their activities any more than we do,” Janet Baseman, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington, told me over the weekend. “Everyone is tired and ready for this to end, but we have to accept the reality of the data before us.”

The one indoor activity that appears to present less risk is school, especially elementary school. Why? Young children seem to spread the virus less often than adults do. “Research has shown that if you put social-distancing protocols in place, school is actually quite a safe environment,” Andreas Schleicher, who studies schools for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in Paris, told NPR. Closing schools and switching entirely to remote learning, on the other hand, has big social costs. Children are learning less, and many parents, mostly mothers, have dropped out of the labor force. The U.S. is suffering from both of these problems and from a raging pandemic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eur US New cases 11132020.jpg (54.6 KB, 13 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 05:24 AM   #2779
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Before anyone gets the idea that the U.S. has mostly gotten the same or better results than most European nations, there is a serious difference. As the two graphs below illustrate, the UK -- like most of the European nations -- got the number of new cases down in late April, and they stayed down until late September. In the US the 'curve' was flattened in early May but never really declined much. By late June new cases began rising again. New cases in the US peaked in mid-August, then the curve flattened out before rising again in early October. The two charts below make this clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UK New cases 11152020.jpg (42.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 11152020.jpg (46.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 16th November 2020, 05:32 AM   #2780
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I like this site to plot Covid cases:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 05:42 AM   #2781
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Edited to add after watching the news: Apparently Trump is planning to use CVS and Walgreens to distribute the vaccine. Neither of those pharmacies are equipped to administer long lines of vaccine recipients. So I'm not sure what Trump has in mind except doling out government contracts to his cronies.
I can't speak to other places, but Philadelphia is planning multiple mass vaccination centers. One of them is in my neighborhood. Their goal is to be able to do 1 million vaccinations over 4-6 weeks.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 05:51 AM   #2782
sphenisc
Philosopher

I don't hate the military.

Both my brothers and my dad were in the military.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't hate the military. My dad served 20 years. Husband is a Navy vet. Probably got thyroid cancer from serving on nuclear sub. Sister is both an Air Force and an Army veteran. FIL Navy vet. BIL is an AF vet.
You both seem to be under the same delusion that what your relatives do is evidence of a lack of hatred for the military.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:52 AM   #2783
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ivanka Trump claiming credit on behalf of Donald again

@IvankaTrump
Fact Check: This Moderna /NIH vaccine is literally the one that President @realDonaldTrump partnered with Moderna to create on January 13, 2020... I repeat January 13th, 2020.

Just be happy. This is great news for America and for the world! Flag of United States twitter.com/irishpatty54/s…
Old 16th November 2020, 06:54 AM   #2784
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
You both seem to be under the same delusion that what your relatives do is evidence of a lack of hatred for the military.

Fortunately, inquisitors like you and dudalb are able to find and expose secret hidden witchcraft hatred everywhere it lurks.
Old 16th November 2020, 07:40 AM   #2785
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

@IvankaTrump
Fact Check: This Moderna /NIH vaccine is literally the one that President @realDonaldTrump partnered with Moderna to create on January 13, 2020... I repeat January 13th, 2020.

Just be happy. This is great news for America and for the world! Flag of United States twitter.com/irishpatty54/s…
Funny how this one claims points for doing the blindingly ******* obvious. Is there a president from either party who wouldn't fund and support vaccine production in a pandemic? What this Trump moron doesn't understand is the complete failure on what to do between starting the vaccine research and when shots start going into arms. How do these idiots walk and breath at the same time?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 07:43 AM   #2786
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

@IvankaTrump

They were lab partners?
Old 16th November 2020, 08:02 AM   #2787
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

@IvankaTrump

To be honest, I wondered if Ivanka's tweet was true. I didn't think real Donald Trump did much of anything in January of 2020, except ban some Chinese travel at the end of the month.

I'm still not sure. The NIH was involved with Moderna's mRNA-1273 vaccine on January 13. I didn't notice any involvement by the President in any capacity when googling. It's possible he was aware of it. It's conceivable he actually did something about it. It's also possible that NIH was operating entirely on its own, and Trump wasn't even aware of it.
Old 16th November 2020, 08:21 AM   #2788
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
To be honest, I wondered if Ivanka's tweet was true. I didn't think real Donald Trump did much of anything in January of 2020, except ban some Chinese travel at the end of the month.

I'm still not sure. The NIH was involved with Moderna's mRNA-1273 vaccine on January 13. I didn't notice any involvement by the President in any capacity when googling. It's possible he was aware of it. It's conceivable he actually did something about it. It's also possible that NIH was operating entirely on its own, and Trump wasn't even aware of it.
What does "partnered" even mean here? Did he nod when informed of the vaccine initiative, then blot Big Mac sauce from his overlong red tie? He himself hasn't bragged on it*, and as we've seen, he show no shame in congratulating himself for things he had little to no part in. Why does Ivanka feel the need to suck up? Is she out of favor? Nah, doubt it.

*Didn't take him long; see below.

Last edited by Resume; 16th November 2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 16th November 2020, 08:40 AM   #2789
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Another Vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95% effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China Plague, all took place on my watch!
Old 16th November 2020, 08:43 AM   #2790
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Again, he wants credit for doing the bare minimum a President could do. And often he failed to do that.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 08:52 AM   #2791
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Trump Tweets

Another Vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95% effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China Plague, all took place on my watch!
As did the 250,000 U.S. deaths, the most anywhere, you putrid prick. He takes no responsibility, but he sure will take the credit.

Last edited by Resume; 16th November 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 16th November 2020, 08:57 AM   #2792
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I looked up this vaccine. It was developed in conjunction with Moderna by the Virus Research Center of the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases. Dr. Fauci is the head of NIAID. Its existence was announced on January 13, 2020.

I would take bets that on January 13, 2020, or even January 14, 2020, Donald Trump had never heard of this vaccine. I think kookbreaker's assessment is accurate, and that Ivanka is somewhat exaggerating the role of her father in this vaccine's development.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 16th November 2020 at 08:58 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 09:01 AM   #2793
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I looked up this vaccine. It was developed in conjunction with Moderna by the Virus Research Center of the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases. Dr. Fauci is the head of NIAID. Its existence was announced on January 13, 2020.

I would take bets that on January 13, 2020, or even January 14, 2020, Donald Trump had never heard of this vaccine. I think kookbreaker's assessment is accurate, and that Ivanka is somewhat exaggerating the role of her father in this vaccine's development.
Which is why I asked just wtf "partnered" meant. Does anyone think Trump had anything more to do with the vaccine other than grunt and nod when informed about it?
Old 16th November 2020, 09:17 AM   #2794
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

At least he's accepting that his administration is coming to an end. Of course historians will ignore this and dwell on his failures which is good and proper.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 10:27 AM   #2795
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

European Countries are sadly getting clobbered by the China Virus. The Fake News does not like reporting this!

STOCK MARKET GETTING VERY CLOSE TO 30,000 ON NEW VACCINE NEWS. 95% EFFECTIVE!
Old 16th November 2020, 10:33 AM   #2796
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Trump Tweeted

European Countries are sadly getting clobbered by the China Virus. The Fake News does not like reporting this!
Which when comparing numbers means that the U.S. is getting clobbered as well, you dufus.
Old 16th November 2020, 11:39 AM   #2797
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Trump Tweeted

STOCK MARKET GETTING VERY CLOSE TO 30,000 ON NEW VACCINE NEWS. 95% EFFECTIVE!
ISTR Trump predicting that the stock market would drop like a stone if Biden won the election. Yes I know Trump would say he didn't, but the world - including the stock market - believes otherwise.
Old 16th November 2020, 12:15 PM   #2798
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Look it is clear that suggesting that the military is not the solution to all problems is clearly hatred of the military. They are the hammer and by god every problem will be a nail!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 12:17 PM   #2799
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Question: Will people who have been vaccinated get some kind of card or certificate that says so? Will we find that admission to some public places and events will require proof of vaccination? Seems like this could be a real sticking point as vaccination gets underway, but doesn't get to everybody at the same time.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 12:18 PM   #2800
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Look it is clear that suggesting that the military is not the solution to all problems is clearly hatred of the military. They are the hammer and by god every problem will be a nail!
Aye, aye, sir! Hoorah!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics