IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 08:45 AM   #481
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Dinesh DSouza is a dishonest lying moron and he's welcome to get out of higher education. I've seen everyone from Christopher Hitchens to Matt Dillahunty to Sam Harris destroy his absurd arguments.
also a convicted felon, like many Trumpets.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:47 AM   #482
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 32,768
Trump Tweets
BALLOT COUNTING ABUSE!

WATCH FOR MASSIVE BALLOT COUNTING ABUSE AND, JUST LIKE THE EARLY VACCINE, REMEMBER I TOLD YOU SO!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:51 AM   #483
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,482
Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Have you brought any fruits or vegetables onto the planet?
Unsure how many grokked that, but kudos.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:59 AM   #484
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient
 
Firestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,998
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets
BALLOT COUNTING ABUSE!

WATCH FOR MASSIVE BALLOT COUNTING ABUSE AND, JUST LIKE THE EARLY VACCINE, REMEMBER I TOLD YOU SO!
Ah yes, the vaccine, I remember!
Quote:
Chief of Staff Mark Meadows says WH aiming to have 100 million doses of Coronavirus vaccine ready to go by end of October. Says goal is to make the the most vulnerable and highest risk people are vaccinated in that first group. Says up to 300 million doses would be ready in Jan.

https://twitter.com/markknoller/stat...503872?lang=en
Quote:
As for vaccinating Americans, Trump said Wednesday, “We think we can start sometime in October."

https://www.euronews.com/2020/09/17/...icting-experts
(bolding mine)
__________________
The method of science is tried and true. It is not perfect, it's just the best we have. And to abandon it, with its skeptical protocols is the pathway to a dark age. -- Carl Sagan

Last edited by Firestone; 10th November 2020 at 09:00 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:14 AM   #485
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,228
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Ah yes, the vaccine, I remember!



(bolding mine)
Given all the predictions for the vaccine, they were bound to be right...

Remember it was
"It will be available in a couple of months"
"It will be available before the election"
"It will be available before the end of the year"
"It will be available early next year"
"It will be available by the 3rd quarter of next year"
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:21 AM   #486
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,541
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I suspect Trump may resign before 20 January, putting Pence in the hot seat for a few weeks, on condition of a full blanket pardon.
I saw some Biden 46 t-shirts. Maybe they will have to be Biden 47 t-shirts.

Seriously, though, I could imagine Trump doing it, even without the pardon part. He's just the sort of guy who would think walking out would be preferable to waiting around until his last day.
__________________
Yes, yes. I know you are right. But would it hurt you to provide some information?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:22 AM   #487
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,893
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Quote:
trump Tweets

This is good news, it means I won!
cc: @RepDougCollins @SecretarySonny
Quote Tweet

Brian Kemp
@BrianKempGA
Georgia's election result will include legally cast ballots - and ONLY legally cast ballots. Period.

It’s all down to how “legally cast” is defined:

Vote for Trump: legally cast
Vote for Biden: not legally cast
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:27 AM   #488
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,893
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I don't think the Four Seasons thing was a mistake. I think it was a miserable underling lashing out at terrible bosses.

Watching John Oliver last night, they showed footage of two other Republican press conferences from other parts of the country which appeared to be in similar surroundings.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:29 AM   #489
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,597
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I saw some Biden 46 t-shirts. Maybe they will have to be Biden 47 t-shirts.

Seriously, though, I could imagine Trump doing it, even without the pardon part. He's just the sort of guy who would think walking out would be preferable to waiting around until his last day.
Nit - presidents are numbered by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #490
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,540
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Nit - presidents are numbered by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
With the notable example of Cleveland, who was the 22nd and 24th president, serving non-consecutive terms.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:34 AM   #491
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,705
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Nit - presidents are numbered by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
Trump will be best remembered by the number on his orange jumper, whatever that turns out to be. If someone has a sense of humor, it could also be 45.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:35 AM   #492
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,618
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Nit - presidents are numbered by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
Double nit.

In that example Pence would be 46 for the period between President Trump resigning and Biden being inaugurated.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:37 AM   #493
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Nit - presidents are numbered by who they are, not by term. E.g., if Trump had won, he wouldn't be 46, he would still be 45.
I believe Meadmaker is saying if Trump resigns, Pence would become 46, and Biden would become 47.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:38 AM   #494
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,597
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I believe Meadmaker is saying if Trump resigns, Pence would become 46, and Biden would become 47.
That would be true. But Trump resigning? C'mon man.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:39 AM   #495
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,424
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I believe Meadmaker is saying if Trump resigns drowns in his own bile, Pence would become 46, and Biden would become 47.
Revised for plausibility.

Dave
__________________
There is truth and there are lies.

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:39 AM   #496
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,875
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That would be true. But Trump resigning? C'mon man.
He might if Pence pardons him straight away.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:50 AM   #497
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I wonder if it’s as irritating as your habit of scolding people from your disingenuously assumed position of the reasonable middle?
There's nothing disingenuous about my pragmatism. How about you actually provide some support for your weaseling insinuations and attempted well-poisoning for a change?
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:55 AM   #498
Disbelief
Master Poster
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,833
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Uh, yeah, because any other President, GOP or Democratic, would have totally not worked on funding vaccine research. Only the Trump-man, who hawked fake cures, put the Mypillow guy in charge of multiple COVID things, refused mask mandates, and promised us a vaccine was sure to come any second for months, would pave the way for vaccine research. This despite his anti-vaxxer history.

Meanwhile, the Pfizer vaccine, while impressive, has yet to even submit the safety data to the FDA. That needs to be approved even before distribution (which Trump has done little to nothing about besides saying something about the military). The distribution channel has serious clogs that need addressing (and Trump is ignoring). There also vaccines further along in the channel than Pfizer is, but they are from other countries.

We laughed at Trump because he's made a horde of promises and failed to keep them. This is still another as he tried to force open the economy before any such vaccines were in play.
Pfizer also did not use US funding, they got it from Germany.
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:59 AM   #499
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
All readers have to go by are the words you write.

Do you take those things into mind when you proclaim his good intentions? A simple yes/no will suffice.
I didn't proclaim him to have good intentions. Seriously, has everyone lost the plot so completely? This is absurd.

For some critical thinking practice:

A: Marvin is a rapist!
B: Marvin is aggressive and a bit of a misogynist, but I don't think he's a rapist.
A: Rape supporter! Marvin Fanatic! You're proclaiming Marvin's good intentions!

A: Julie wants to set the building on fire!
B: Julie talks a lot of ****, and she is an abrasive bitch, but I don't believe she actually wants to set the building on fire.
A: Arson evangelist! Julie sycophant! You're proclaiming Julie's good intentions!

Let's backtrack a few years for a discussion that actually occurred...

A: OMG, I'm terrified that Trump is going to push the reed button and start WW3!
Me: I really don't think that's likely to happen. Trump is a blowhard and a braggart and an embarrassing person to have in charge, but I don't think he will actually go that far.
A: You're a Trumpkin!
Me: No, I'm not. I just think you're way overreacting and getting wound up about something that is extraordinarily unlikely to occur. Trump sucks, but he's not, you know, the actual devil.
A: See - that's proof that you secretly love Trump!

At what point among "skeptics" did it become acceptable to assume that failure to emotionally condemn and attack a target due to baseless assumptions and fearmongering somehow get magically transmuted into support for that target? It's completely irrational.

FFS, next you'll be telling me that my failure to jump into one of the bigfoot threads and call people names means that I secretly believe in bigfoot!
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:08 AM   #500
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Do wannabe dictators ever come out and explicitly say they want to be dictator? You never were worried that his followers wanted him to essentially be dictator?
Some very few idiots might want him to become dictator... but most conservatives (and Republicans even) are actually pretty big on personal liberty and the preservation of the constitution. There's nowhere near enough people that want Trump to be dictator for it to have a chance in hell of occurring.

And that's all assuming that Trump actually genuinely wants to be a dictator. Which I think is a ridiculous assumption, based predominantly on tribal thinking and the eternal need to be outraged about everything.

I am so completely tired of all of this. Not you specifically, just the entire topic. It's been four years of non-stop fearmongering about the horrible evil things that Trump is certain to do. And whenever one of them doesn't happen, a new terror is simply inserted and the manufactured outrage continues unabated.

Trump lost the election. Who the **** gives a crap what he says or what he wants anymore? Just sit back and be happy that Biden won, and let it go.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:08 AM   #501
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He might if Pence pardons him straight away.
I have this fantasy where Trump resigns after Pence agrees to pardon Trump and then after Trump resigns, Pence rubs his chin and says he has changed his mind on the pardon.
And then Pence has him physically led to the front gate where they push him out onto Pennsylvania Avenue and he is swallowed up by protesters in Lafayette Square.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:13 AM   #502
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,875
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I have this fantasy where Trump resigns after Pence agrees to pardon Trump and then after Trump resigns, Pence rubs his chin and says he has changed his mind on the pardon.
And then Pence has him physically led to the front gate where they push him out onto Pennsylvania Avenue and he is swallowed up by protesters in Lafayette Square.
It is sooo unfair when it turns out that a deeply terrible person can redeem himself from all his wickedness with one single good act.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:20 AM   #503
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
As a PA person and with PA being on top of that list, I'll poke a little at factors in PA.

1. Obvious one first - Trump's denouncing and fear-mongering about mail-in voting...

2. Slightly less obvious one - The location of where the people who used the absentee ballots is...

3. Both of those are related to the Republican Party having made mail-in voting and COVID into partisan issues...
I'll piggy back on this and point out that I think it also very heavily depends on what the standard for that state has been in the past. WA, for example, had mailed ballots as the standard for the whole 13 years I lived there. You had the option of sending them back in by mail a few days early, or of dropping them into conveniently located drive-up boxes on election day. I'm sure there were at least some people who actually cast their votes in person... but I never met one of them. Pretty much everyone used the mailed ballots. As a result of that, this year wouldn't have really been any different than past years. I wouldn't expect to see a different distribution of party favorites for in-person versus mailed ballots in WA.

The same is marginally true for AZ. My impression from talking to other people here is that in-person voting is more common... but there's been a permanent mail voter option for a long time, and a lot of people make use of that, regardless of their political leanings. There might be some difference in the party favorite for mail versus in-person in AZ, but I wouldn't really expect it to be massive.

On the other hand, I am under the impression that PA really didn't do mail ballots in the past. I'm sure there's always been some method for absentee voting, but I understand that mail-in ballots have been the exception rather than the rule. Because it's such a departure from the status quo, I would expect there to be a larger and more noticeable difference in the party selection for mail votes in PA.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:22 AM   #504
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Oh, good gravy. It appears his argument is that mail votes violate the equal protection clause because they cause people to distrust the election results because Trump has spent months telling people to distrust the mail votes and election results.

It is an 86 page filing!

What a frivolous Gish gallop.
I can't stop laughing at this. I never did like Reality TV.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:22 AM   #505
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Some very few idiots might want him to become dictator... but most conservatives (and Republicans even) are actually pretty big on personal liberty and the preservation of the constitution. There's nowhere near enough people that want Trump to be dictator for it to have a chance in hell of occurring.

And that's all assuming that Trump actually genuinely wants to be a dictator. Which I think is a ridiculous assumption, based predominantly on tribal thinking and the eternal need to be outraged about everything.

I am so completely tired of all of this. Not you specifically, just the entire topic. It's been four years of non-stop fearmongering about the horrible evil things that Trump is certain to do. And whenever one of them doesn't happen, a new terror is simply inserted and the manufactured outrage continues unabated.

Trump lost the election. Who the **** gives a crap what he says or what he wants anymore? Just sit back and be happy that Biden won, and let it go.
I wish it was that easy. I know my history too well. Coups have been started on less. The Republicans are unwilling to say that he lost. 70 million Americans voted for Trump. And I still see idiots parading around with guns and Trump signs. Trump appointees are preventing the transfer of power. Trump fired the SECDEF and replaced him with a toadie. The AG has ordered investigations (well sort of) into the election. SCOTUS at this very moment is hearing Trump's appeal. That they are even considering it and not rejecting it out of hand is a bit troubling.

This will all crumble in the next couple of days or it's going to get ugly.

I personally think it's most likely to crumble...but I still worry.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:23 AM   #506
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
On their website you can buy a mask with "Lawn and Order" and "Make America Rake Again".
Way to capitalize on the situation!
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:25 AM   #507
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,875
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I wish it was that easy. I know my history too well. Coups have been started on less. The Republicans are unwilling to say that he lost. 70 million Americans voted for Trump. And I still see idiots parading around with guns and Trump signs. Trump appointees are preventing the transfer of power. Trump fired the SECDEF and replaced him with a toadie. The AG has ordered investigations (well sort of) into the election. SCOTUS at this very moment is hearing Trump's appeal. That they are even considering it and not rejecting it out of hand is a bit troubling.

This will all crumble in the next couple of days or it's going to get ugly.

I personally think it's most likely to crumble...but I still worry.

I worry that Republicans will keep this up until after the Georgia Run-off, because what they need to win is Trump's support.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:25 AM   #508
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Seen elsewhere:

"This feels like a horror movie where the monster just died, but there's still 20 minutes left of the runtime".
Protagonists in horror movies really underutilize the double=tap method of making sure the monster is actually dead.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:27 AM   #509
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I suspect Trump may resign before 20 January, putting Pence in the hot seat for a few weeks, on condition of a full blanket pardon.
Why would he do that, when he can keep tweeting and getting a ton of media attention?
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:37 AM   #510
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'll piggy back on this and point out that I think it also very heavily depends on what the standard for that state has been in the past. WA, for example, had mailed ballots as the standard for the whole 13 years I lived there. You had the option of sending them back in by mail a few days early, or of dropping them into conveniently located drive-up boxes on election day. I'm sure there were at least some people who actually cast their votes in person... but I never met one of them. Pretty much everyone used the mailed ballots. As a result of that, this year wouldn't have really been any different than past years. I wouldn't expect to see a different distribution of party favorites for in-person versus mailed ballots in WA.
Small pedantic correction. You can drop your ballot into the secure ballot boxes up until election day. You can go into county HQ to vote in person even before election day. Both King and Snohomish County set up satellite voting places three days before election day.

I'm also from Washington.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The same is marginally true for AZ. My impression from talking to other people here is that in-person voting is more common... but there's been a permanent mail voter option for a long time, and a lot of people make use of that, regardless of their political leanings. There might be some difference in the party favorite for mail versus in-person in AZ, but I wouldn't really expect it to be massive.

On the other hand, I am under the impression that PA really didn't do mail ballots in the past. I'm sure there's always been some method for absentee voting, but I understand that mail-in ballots have been the exception rather than the rule. Because it's such a departure from the status quo, I would expect there to be a larger and more noticeable difference in the party selection for mail votes in PA.
I'm 90 percent sure PA has had absentee mail in ballots for a long time. The only difference in this election, the state mailed ballots to all registered voters and not just citizens that requested them.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:37 AM   #511
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
We are what we eat/do/write, and what we eat/do/write extends beyond this thread, and I'm unimpressed when a quacking water fowl denies being a duck. That said, I can't imagine that EC voted for Trump, I believe that her negative comments about him are sincere, and that makes it all the more perplexing when she constantly carries his water, facts be damned. I'd expand on this except we're off topic and outside the rules.
I don't "carry his water". I just run out of patience for the inane overreactions that leave any vestige of reason behind.

I do the same thing on nearly any subject... but the topic selection here is quite one-sided, so there's not much opportunity to see me doing things like telling my niece that no, Biden isn't a rapist - he's weirdly huggy with young girls and seems to like kissing people's heads and smelling their hair, which is creepy, but he's not a rapist.

I was really hoping that when Trump lost, common sense (and decency) would reassert themselves. Sure, I know, he's still hollering into the wind... but I'm disappointed that the rest of you(g) otherwise intelligent folks haven't let it go and moved on to being rational again.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:39 AM   #512
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I worry that Republicans will keep this up until after the Georgia Run-off, because what they need to win is Trump's support.
That could easily backfire big time.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:39 AM   #513
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,233
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I suspect Trump may resign before 20 January, putting Pence in the hot seat for a few weeks, on condition of a full blanket pardon.
That's been my guess for quite some time on what he'll do if he lost . Gets him out of going to the inauguration, too.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 10th November 2020 at 11:14 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:43 AM   #514
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,734
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That would be true. But Trump resigning? C'mon man.
Seems unlikely to me too.

I'd say he's more likely to pardon himself, figuring that any legal battle over whether a President can do that will be settled in his favor by a Supreme Court majority which totally owes him.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:43 AM   #515
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 50,746
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I don't "carry his water". I just run out of patience for the inane overreactions that leave any vestige of reason behind.
Like people who think white nationalism is bad and condemn it in all its forms. That seems to be the kind of overreaction you have been staunchly against. There is certainly nothing deplorable about white nationalists, and you could never legitimately call them such.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:44 AM   #516
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,735
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I wish it was that easy. I know my history too well. Coups have been started on less. The Republicans are unwilling to say that he lost. 70 million Americans voted for Trump. And I still see idiots parading around with guns and Trump signs. Trump appointees are preventing the transfer of power. Trump fired the SECDEF and replaced him with a toadie. The AG has ordered investigations (well sort of) into the election. SCOTUS at this very moment is hearing Trump's appeal. That they are even considering it and not rejecting it out of hand is a bit troubling.

This will all crumble in the next couple of days or it's going to get ugly.

I personally think it's most likely to crumble...but I still worry.
This right here. It's a little disingenuous to say "oh, Trump's lost, he'll be gone in a couple of months, so what difference does it make?" It's the way he's losing, and the way the GOP largely is enabling that, that makes a difference. Trump isn't, AFAICT, doing anything he doesn't have a strict right to do. But Republicans over the last few years have made an absolute fetish of doing things they have a technical right to do without any consideration for whether those things are the right thing to do. Blocking Obama's SC pick in '16, ramming through their own this year (even when they had to directly contradict their stance from four years earlier to do so), and now demanding recounts that won't realistically make any difference and "investigations" that are really nothing more than specious and unfounded placeholders for riling their base and (probably) making money off the rubes...all these things make a compete hash of our democracy. How is any citizen ever going to be able to have confidence in the integrity of the process- which the GOP claims is their primary reason for wanting the recounts/investigations- when any future loser of an election has only to cite this one as precedent for throwing shade on that process for his case?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:46 AM   #517
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,593
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It is sooo unfair when it turns out that a deeply terrible person can redeem himself from all his wickedness with one single good act.
Yes, i get that.

But it would be a very good act.

Just imagine Trump whining alone out there without Secret Service protection. And the protesters looking him heads askew thinking what do we do about this? And Trump realizing he's all alone without his sycophants among the great unwashed who despise him.

What can I say? I have a bit of a mischievous imagination.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #518
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I do still have a question for EC. When you deem Trump as a person who doesn't really seek to be a dictator, have you considered these facts...?
  • He is actively attempting to steal the election
  • He had his goons attack peaceful protesters (for a photo op)
  • He uses the arms of government as re-election minions
  • He encouraged armed whack jobs to commit political violence
  • He supported the whack jobs who plotted to take Gov. Whitmer to trial in the woods
  • He encouraged violence against the media
  • He didn't blink when Saudi thugs offed a US journalist
  • He threatened a whistle blower with death
  • He asks for political opponents to be jailed
  • He openly expresses admiration for dictators

How about we apply the space alien test? If dispassionate space aliens magically absorbed human history, and observed these facts, would they be likely to deem these actions as indicative of a person who aspires to be a dictator?

Because the answer is obviously yes, feel free to consider this question rhetorical. I do welcome you to answer the first question though. A simple yes/no will suffice.
This could be a whole 'nother thread.

First off, there's a lot of interpretation and spin involved in some of this. I understand that this is your perspective, and that's fine. But there's still opinion involved.

For example - you say he's actively trying to *steal* the election. You've already made your decision that he has lost the election (which I agree with) and that he is aware of and believes that he lost the election (which I disagree with to a degree) and furthermore that he is actively and with malice intentionally trying to cheat (which I disagree with). There's a lot of assumed motivations and mind-reading in there.

On the other side of things, however, Trump supporters might genuinely believe that there are ballot shenanigans going on, and that Biden cheated. I don't believe that, but my lack of belief doesn't invalidate their belief. And I'm inclined to think that Trump 1) genuinely believes that there has been voter fraud or manipulation in this election, in part because 2) he desperately needs to believe that he didn't lose.

This presents a situation where Trump can hold irrational beliefs, act in ways that are not in the interest of the US... but still not be doing it via malice.

Pretty much all of the other things you listed fall into very similar patterns. Everyone might agree on the observable objective facts (ok, well 99% of people, because some are insane)... but that doesn't mean that everyone will filter them through the same belief structure, or that everyone will assume the same motivations for those facts.

That's the thing that has bothered me most over the past four years - the sheer volume of unabashed mind-reading going on among self-styled skeptics. People assume they know the motivation and the state of Trump's mind, and then somehow become incapable of acknowledging that they're making assumptions and speculations, as well as becoming unable to consider any other possible motivation at all.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #519
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,597
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes, i get that.

But it would be a very good act.

Just imagine Trump whining alone out there without Secret Service protection. And the protesters looking him heads askew thinking what do we do about this? And Trump realizing he's all alone without his sycophants among the great unwashed who despise him.

What can I say? I have a bit of a mischievous imagination.
Last scene of Ferris Bueller
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:50 AM   #520
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 15,397
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
This seems to come up every month or three.

I appreciate Cap's posts. I've found the ones s/he posts are well curated.

Thanks Cap.
I'd prefer it if links were provided. Sometimes I'd like to get more context. I know, it's twitter, so a lot of times there isn't any more context. But sometimes there is.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.