ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Bolt , assault incidents , Australia incidents , pundits

Old 8th June 2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Andrew Bolt says he 'wasn't going to be humiliated' during unprovoked attack

Andrew Bolt, is a right wing pundit, things like this only give people like him ammunition.

Quote:
Andrew Bolt says people on both sides of politics should be able to walk down the street without being attacked or abused, after two men assaulted him without provocation on a Melbourne street.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...id=mailsignout

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 05:51 AM   #2
baron

That's what happens when leftists can't articulate their hate in words. It's very common.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 06:19 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
That's what happens when leftists can't articulate their hate in words. It's very common.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you just made that up.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Hungry81
Master Poster

Three giggling idiots got their arses handed to them. Sucked in. Bolts your standard right wing ********, who tries to sell himself as "reasonable," but these morons just long jumped over the line, recieved a beating humilliated themselves, and gave power to Bolts views. Good on him for defending himself but these Extreme right and extreme left people (and in fact most extremeists) can go **** themselves

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 07:54 PM   #5
mgidm86
Philosopher

This is a great way to get people against your cause that may not otherwise be.

I've actually "defended" people like Milo and some Nazi idiot that was punched in the face on camera (both of whom I'd never heard of before), all because of dummies like these.
Old 8th June 2017, 08:00 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

As much as I dislike Bolt, I was cheering him on. Those weak cowards got their right whack.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Interesting the replies so far, remind me of an article I saw Steven Novella link to on the Occupy movement website. The author was arguing that the Left should distance itself from AntiFa types because in the long run their actions would prove counter productive by increasing support for authoritarian types.

He also posted a video version to his YouTube channel, which I will link to below, it also contains a link to the article itself.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuEbQ6fNGw

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Here is the latest report from Australia. Apparently there is some new footage and that AntiFa is claiming that Bolt through the first punch.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...08-gwmx7k.html

Old 8th June 2017, 09:51 PM   #9
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Here is the latest report from Australia. Apparently there is some new footage and that AntiFa is claiming that Bolt through the first punch.

Quote:
The ensuing scuffle sees Bolt pushed into a pole and then falling over chairs and tables outside a restaurant
And then he resorted to fisticuffs. The rotter!
Old 8th June 2017, 11:11 PM   #10
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
And then he resorted to fisticuffs. The rotter!
Actually depending on the local jurisdiction, he has to try first to out himself out of the attacker way if there is a possibility, and only resort to violence if there is no way out. Resorting to fist and giving a beating can makes him lose any legal high ground. I dunno for the precise law of that place though.

Last edited by Aepervius; 8th June 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2017, 11:32 PM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Actually depending on the local jurisdiction, he has to try first to out himself out of the attacker way if there is a possibility, and only resort to violence if there is no way out. Resorting to fist and giving a beating can makes him lose any legal high ground. I dunno for the precise law of that place though.
You are allowed to defend yourself in a proportionate manner. If he pulled a gun and shot them dead (vanishingly unlikely) he would face charges of manslaughter and do serious time. Self defence as he practiced it would have no consequences.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2017, 02:24 AM   #12
baron

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Actually depending on the local jurisdiction, he has to try first to out himself out of the attacker way if there is a possibility, and only resort to violence if there is no way out.
Really? In the US? That's very surprising. In the UK you are entitled to defend yourself using reasonable force, and it is not incumbent on you to remove yourself from the situation under any circumstances. Furthermore, you can legally attack without any physical contact from the first party if you genuinely believe yourself to be under threat.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2017, 02:37 AM   #13
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

In case people don't realise, this event happened in my home city of Melbourne Australia.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th June 2017, 02:49 AM   #14
baron

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
In case people don't realise, this event happened in my home city of Melbourne Australia.
That'll learn me. OK, replace US with Australia. I'm still surprised, perhaps equally so. I mean, Australia!
Old 9th June 2017, 03:02 AM   #15
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

US people would be no doubt horrified that there have been cases where Australians have hidden, armed, waiting for someone to break into often burgled properties. When they have shot the intruder, they have been charged, convicted and jailed.

We take proportionality seriously here. And it is generally accepted.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th June 2017, 03:12 AM   #16
baron

US people would be no doubt horrified that there have been cases where Australians have hidden, armed, waiting for someone to break into often burgled properties. When they have shot the intruder, they have been charged, convicted and jailed.

We take proportionality seriously here. And it is generally accepted.
Proportionality is different to legally mandating fleeing instead of self defence, if that's indeed the case.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:10 AM   #17
mgidm86
Philosopher

Isn't throwing something in somebody else's face considered assault? I'm not from Australia but something tells me a jury would be just fine with Bolt's reaction. I know I am. That video is awesome, good for him.

I only see one real punch thrown and that's toward the end of the video - love the punks reaction. The rest seems to be pushing and shoving. But surely there's something we can blame the conservative for.

Was the camera man arrested? He was obviously involved, how'd they get his footage?
Old 9th June 2017, 11:13 AM   #18
TraneWreck
Philosopher

It's so stupid and absurd and counterproductive that the only obvious conclusion is that Bolt hired these doofuses to attack him and then let him beat them up.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2017, 11:19 AM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Isn't throwing something in somebody else's face considered assault? I'm not from Australia but something tells me a jury would be just fine with Bolt's reaction. I know I am. That video is awesome, good for him.

I only see one real punch thrown and that's toward the end of the video - love the punks reaction. The rest seems to be pushing and shoving. But surely there's something we can blame the conservative for.

Was the camera man arrested? He was obviously involved, how'd they get his footage?
Bolt is fine and won't be charged. You are correct that he was assaulted first.

The cameraman claims he was not part of the group. ********.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th June 2017, 12:08 PM   #20
baron

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
It's so stupid and absurd and counterproductive that the only obvious conclusion is that Bolt hired these doofuses to attack him and then let him beat them up.
That's so unlike the far left.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:10 PM   #21
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I know, that's why it's clear Bolt paid these goofballs to attack him like it was a 1980's teen movie and he was trying to impress a girl.

Only interpretation that makes sense.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2017, 12:25 PM   #22
mgidm86
Philosopher

Bolt is fine and won't be charged. You are correct that he was assaulted first.

The cameraman claims he was not part of the group. ********.

Oh ya sure he isn't. He ran behind filming the first attacker before he even did anything to Bolt.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:31 PM   #23
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Oh ya sure he isn't. He ran behind filming the first attacker before he even did anything to Bolt.
Clearly Bolt paid him to document his act of faux heroism.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:43 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I know, that's why it's clear Bolt paid these goofballs to attack him like it was a 1980's teen movie and he was trying to impress a girl.

Only interpretation that makes sense.
Clearly Bolt paid him to document his act of faux heroism.
Hmmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1qmb55.jpg (32.7 KB, 5 views)
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2017, 06:22 PM   #25
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

While I suspect the above statement just trolling, I will suggest that people go back to my post where I linked to the video by the Youtuber Wizard of Cause (Nicholas Goroff), the highlighted section is one of his points, I am quoting here from the article he posted to Occupy.com (It's linked from the video):

Quote:
For starters, through their wanton destruction and rioting, as well as unbridled enthusiasm for vandalism and violence, Antifa and their black bloc tactics are in many ways an outright gift to those who advocate for a police state.

Last edited by Graham2001; 9th June 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10th June 2017, 12:25 AM   #26
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

This is a great way to get people against your cause that may not otherwise be.

I've actually "defended" people like Milo and some Nazi idiot that was punched in the face on camera (both of whom I'd never heard of before), all because of dummies like these.
Would you mind doing me a favor and providing your definition of a Nazi? As in, what would need to be true of a person in order for them to be classified as such? Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

I would appreciate the same from anyone else who is willing to answer.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2017, 12:43 AM   #27
mikado
Graduate Poster

To be frank Bolt is such a complete prat that you wouldn't have to be far left to want to thump him....
I too, suspected it was a set up by Bolt,
Old 10th June 2017, 01:18 AM   #28
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
To be frank Bolt is such a complete prat that you wouldn't have to be far left to want to thump him....
I too, suspected it was a set up by Bolt,
I seriously doubt it was a set up. What would Bolt have paid them? Far less than what they would get if leaked to the media.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10th June 2017, 04:06 AM   #29
mikado
Graduate Poster

Goodness knows, a chance to make himself a big man?
Dunno maybe not, the world is full of eejits
Old 10th June 2017, 04:55 AM   #30
fuelair
Banned

Were the two men liberals or simply ********.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2017, 05:27 AM   #31
baron

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Leftists, not liberals, at which point your distinction becomes academic.
Old 10th June 2017, 05:34 AM   #32
baron

Maybe the constant attacks on other right-wing politicians, commentators and even authors across Europe (and, presumably, Australia) are also false flags. Like when Farage paid a team of thugs to attack him and his family when they were having a pub meal together, or when Geert Wilders pays people to threaten his life to such an extent that he has been forced to live in a safe house for a dozen years under 24/7 armed guard and rare visits with his family are planned with literal military precision.
Old 10th June 2017, 05:46 AM   #33
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Maybe the constant attacks on other right-wing politicians, commentators and even authors across Europe (and, presumably, Australia) are also false flags. Like when Farage paid a team of thugs to attack him and his family when they were having a pub meal together, or when Geert Wilders pays people to threaten his life to such an extent that he has been forced to live in a safe house for a dozen years under 24/7 armed guard and rare visits with his family are planned with literal military precision.
Yes, a fair analysis of violence in Europe definitely reveals a threat from the left. Why, I remember Breivik's main cause was promoting the use of hemp.
Old 10th June 2017, 06:07 AM   #34
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post

Searching for a video of the incident, I came across a TV report which claimed the Antifas tried to douse him in glitter. I don't think it matters, it's still assault (and stupid) and Bolt was in his right to defend himself like he did.

I don't know Andrew Bolt or his political views, but in the MSN article you cited in the OP he seems to compare himself with Wilders and Hanson:
Quote:
He said the current hostility in Melbourne towards conservatives meant they could not even hold events in the city, pointing to recentcancelled functions involving Dutch politician Geert Wilders and Pauline Hanson.
That's a severe misappropriation of the word "conservative". They're both racist bigots.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2017, 06:32 AM   #35
baron

Yes, a fair analysis of violence in Europe definitely reveals a threat from the left. Why, I remember Breivik's main cause was promoting the use of hemp.
A fair analysis of violence in Europe would surely involve looking at the facts, not picking out a single case and pretending it represents Europe in its entirety.

For example

Quote:
The largest proportion of arrests
in the EU was linked to jihadist terrorism (687), as it was in the
two preceding years (2014: 395 and 2013: 216). Arrests for both
separatist (168) and left-wing terrorism (67) rose compared to
2014 (154 and 54 respectively). The number of arrests for rightwing
terrorism
decreased from 34 in 2014 to 11 in 2015.
Quote:
A total of 9 attacks classified as right-wing
terrorism in the EU in 2015
, compared to none in 2014
Quote:
Thirteen left-wing and anarchist terrorist attacks occurred in 2015
in the EU: in Spain (seven), Italy (four), and Greece (two). This was
exactly the same number as recorded in 2014
- Europol Terrorism Trend Report 2016
Of course, this is just terrorism. I consider the threat to free speech and the democratic process to be far greater, and in Europe this comes almost exclusively from the far left.
Old 10th June 2017, 06:37 AM   #36
TraneWreck
Philosopher

A fair analysis of violence in Europe would surely involve looking at the facts, not picking out a single case and pretending it represents Europe in its entirety.

For example

- Europol Terrorism Trend Report 2016
Of course, this is just terrorism. I consider the threat to free speech and the democratic process to be far greater, and in Europe this comes almost exclusively from the far left.
Interesting effort at hand-waving away the right wing religious extremists accounting for most of the violence.

Plus, seriously, 67 arrests in the entire EU? It's amazing the EU hasn't collapsed. Why, that's almost two per country per year. Wonder what the conviction rate is...
Old 10th June 2017, 06:43 AM   #37
baron

Interesting effort at hand-waving away the right wing religious extremists accounting for most of the violence.
LOL! I'll save that one. Me, being accused of apologetics for the Islamists! Man, I love this forum for the laughs it gives me.

No, the topic here is left-wing violence and specifically your assertion that it poses no threat to Europe. The threat from left-wing terrorism might not be enormous but it's demonstrably greater than that from right-wing terrorism. So either you need to revise your statement that the left is no threat, or admit that the right is even less of a threat.

Plus, seriously, 67 arrests in the entire EU? It's amazing the EU hasn't collapsed. Why, that's almost two per country per year. Wonder what the conviction rate is...
Read the reports and you'll find out, it has an entire section on conviction rates.

But as I say, terrorism is only one aspect of the issue, and a minor one, when compared to that I mentioned, namely the threat to free speech and democracy.
Old 10th June 2017, 06:48 AM   #38
TraneWreck
Philosopher

LOL! I'll save that one. Me, being accused of apologetics for the Islamists! Man, I love this forum for the laughs it gives me.
Hmm, not really what happened. I didn't imply you condoned the activity, just amused that somehow you managed to separate right wing religious extremists from the category of right wing violence.

Quote:
No, the topic here is left-wing violence and specifically your assertion that it poses no threat to Europe. The threat from left-wing terrorism might not be enormous but it's demonstrably greater than that from right-wing terrorism. So either you need to revise your statement that the left is no threat, or admit that the right is even less of a threat.
I said it poses "no threat"? Haha, ok. You'll have to quote that back to me.

Yes, it is a slightly greater problem --- if you ignore 90% of the right wing violence in Europe.

Quote:
Read the reports and you'll find out, it has an entire section on conviction rates.
If it is less than 100%, the amusingly insignificant problem you highlighted because even more ridiculous.

Quote:
But as I say, terrorism is only one aspect of the issue, and a minor one, when compared to that I mentioned, namely the threat to free speech and democracy.
But the most inflammatory one.

I don't like a lot of European free speech laws, either, but it's a sad rhetorical strategy to use hysteria over violence to segway into a discussion about free speech rules.
Old 10th June 2017, 07:11 AM   #39
baron

Hmm, not really what happened. I didn't imply you condoned the activity, just amused that somehow you managed to separate right wing religious extremists from the category of right wing violence.
Because it makes sense to do so on account of their wildly differing philosophies and diametrically opposed viewpoints. This is why all official bodies make the clear distinction between right-wing terrorism and Islamic terrorism. I didn't 'somehow manage to separate' anything, I'm quoting the words of Europol which, in common with every other security and law enforcement agency in the West, distinguishes between right-wing and Islamist, so whilst I understand it fits your narrative to lump Islamic violence and right-wing violence together, that approach is not used by in any credible commentary on the topic.

I said it poses "no threat"? Haha, ok. You'll have to quote that back to me.
No problem.

Yes, a fair analysis of violence in Europe definitely reveals a threat from the left.
This was sarcasm, was it not? If not then we agree and we'll leave it at that.

Yes, it is a slightly greater problem --- if you ignore 90% of the right wing violence in Europe.

If it is less than 100%, the amusingly insignificant problem you highlighted because even more ridiculous.
In what way is left-wing terrorism and violence 'amusingly insignificant'? Do you have any sources for that, or any authority that agrees with you?

But the most inflammatory one.

I don't like a lot of European free speech laws, either, but it's a sad rhetorical strategy to use hysteria over violence to segway into a discussion about free speech rules.
What is hysterical about quoting Europol's reports on terrorism? And I wasn't specifically referring to free speech law, although it's an issue, I was referring to the way that the far left often uses violence to shut down the free speech of others (this is specifically referenced in one of the Europol reports, either 2014, 15 or 16) and frequently uses campaigns of intimidation and violence against those they disagree with.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:38 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
They decided to attack a known stupidity pundit and self-inflator in broad daylight in a public place with security cameras in view and working. They had no political views because they are, in all likelihood, too stupid to have any. Much more likely they were pissed as newts and thought it would be "good fun" to rile up Blot (spelling intended).
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events