ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-Islam incidents , benjamin netanyahu , Ilhan Omar , Rashida Tlaib , US-Israel relations

Old 15th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Israel to deny visit from two US Congresswomen.

Quote:
(CNN) Israel has decided to ban Democratic congresswomen Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar from entering the country, a spokesman for deputy foreign minister Tzipi Hotovely told CNN on Thursday.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/polit...ntl/index.html
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:34 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I saw that too. That's very Trumpian of them, right along the lines of "I'm having a birthday party and YOU can't come."

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

How does this show weakness?

From CNN: "The announcement came shortly after Trump said Israel would be showing "great weakness" by allowing them to enter the country." WTF? Whatever happened to the notion that partisan politics stops at the ocean's edge.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 15th August 2019 at 09:28 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
From CNN: "The announcement came shortly after Trump said Israel would be showing "great weakness" by allowing them to enter the country." WTF? Whatever happened to the notion that partisan politics stops at the ocean's edge.
That has literally never been a thing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Donal
Illuminator

Pretty sure John Boehner inviting Netanyahu to address Congress with no input from Obama, and even a few shots at Obama during the speech, was what happened to it.
Old 15th August 2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Quote:
That has literally never been a thing.
Not exactly politicians, but remember when the Dixie Chicks made a comment about how they were "ashamed" Bush was from Texas. Part of the criticism that they received (at least from some people) was that they made their comments when outside of the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_...d_blacklisting

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:54 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Looks like Israel is certain it can hack the next election for Trump.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:19 AM   #8
applecorped
Suspended

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Israel doesn't want to allow its country to be used as a platform for hatred and intolerance. Can't say as I blame them.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Stacyhs
Philosopher

What a petty, petty little boy Trump is. Netanyahu isn't any better. Disgusting jerks.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:30 AM   #11
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Israel doesn't want to allow its country to be used as a platform for hatred and intolerance. Can't say as I blame them.
?
I don't either. But what has that got to do with Omar and Tlaib? I think you've drunk too much of Trump's twitter Kool Aid as neither rep has expressed either. They've harshly criticized some of Israel's policies but that does not constitute hatred or intolerance. Would you care to quote, with citations, them doing so?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:32 AM   #12
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

If the rest of congress has any integrity, they would immediately announce that no member will visit Israel until this is changed. This is action against the US government, of which these representatives are duly elected members. Congress needs to say, you either let all US Congress people enter, or no one will.

I can imagine the democrats could do that, but how many republicans would?

Damn it, the Congress is one of three branches of government, and has the right to insist that it be treated that way.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Cain
Straussian

Israel can do no wrong.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:38 AM   #14
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If the rest of congress has any integrity, they would immediately announce that no member will visit Israel until this is changed. This is action against the US government, of which these representatives are duly elected members. Congress needs to say, you either let all US Congress people enter, or no one will.

I can imagine the democrats could do that, but how many republicans would?

Damn it, the Congress is one of three branches of government, and has the right to insist that it be treated that way.
Well said. If the Republicans don't have any cajones and refuse to go, then at least the Democratic ones should refuse.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:40 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Israel can do no wrong.
Sadly, in some people's eyes, that is all too true. They conflate criticism of the State of Israel with antisemitism.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:43 AM   #16
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

You might think Israel would have better manners considering the annual gift they receive from the United States.

"The annual funding Israel receives from the United States may be increased by $200 million in 2019, according to President Donald Trump's fiscal year budget request. Israel is expected to receive $3.3 billion in 2019."

https://jewishchronicle.timesofisrae...-200m-in-2019/
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:55 AM   #17
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
You might think Israel would have better manners considering the annual gift they receive from the United States.

"The annual funding Israel receives from the United States may be increased by $200 million in 2019, according to President Donald Trump's fiscal year budget request. Israel is expected to receive $3.3 billion in 2019."

I am going to plead ignorance on this, because I haven't researched it at all. Why the hell do we give them money again?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 10:58 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I am going to plead ignorance on this, because I haven't researched it at all. Why the hell do we give them money again?
Because Israel has to exist so it can be destroyed when Jesus returns.
Old 15th August 2019, 11:21 AM   #19
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Because Arabs saw Jews make the desert bloom and completely surrounded them. Some even came before Jews arrived from Europe (the sneaky ******* call themselves "Palestinians").
Old 15th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Incredibly stupid move by Bibi.
He is throwing the Israeli tradition of getting bi partisan support in the US out the window in his kissing the butt of Donnie.
I ain't defending the Israeli Government on this idiocy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 11:34 AM   #21
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post

Then again, Israel has Congress in a bind.

The US can't vote to cut funding to Israel lest those politicians be seen as anti-Israel. So they have to continue.

The only way to avoid it is basically to be Jewish. For example, Nancy Goroff is running for congress in NY1, and is Jewish, and has condemned Israel for their actions. She can get away with it (although I'm sure they will still try to paint her as anti-Israel).

That's one thing Nancy really has going for her. The republican rep in NY1 has been on the "Ilhan Omar is racist against Jews!" bandwagon. It will be hard for him to use that campaigning against Goroff, when she says, "I am Jewish, so you don't need to tell me about anti-Jewish racism." Then again, Nancy has to get through the primary, and that's not a given. I hope she does.
Old 15th August 2019, 11:36 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Incredibly stupid move by Bibi.
He is throwing the Israeli tradition of getting bi partisan support in the US out the window in his kissing the butt of Donnie.
I ain't defending the Israeli Government on this idiocy.
And the Trump Settlement wasn't? They are really just birds of a feather.

And people call Trump divisive, could anyone else bring so many nazis and zionists together to support him like he has? That is talent right there.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 11:37 AM   #23
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
?
I don't either. But what has that got to do with Omar and Tlaib? I think you've drunk too much of Trump's twitter Kool Aid as neither rep has expressed either. They've harshly criticized some of Israel's policies but that does not constitute hatred or intolerance. Would you care to quote, with citations, them doing so?
They are supporters of the BDS movement which aims to harm the Israeli economy and has as its long-term goal, the destruction of Israel.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 11:42 AM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They are supporters of the BDS movement which aims to harm the Israeli economy and has as its long-term goal, the destruction of Israel.
maybe, but barring two sitting members of the US Congress is a really bonehead move..and I am strongly opposed to the BDS.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 12:35 PM   #25
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Well this is an interesting little wrinkle.

Quote:
The prominent pro-Israel group American Israel Public Affairs Committee suggested Thursday it opposed a move by Israel -- and supported by President Donald Trump -- to bar Democratic Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entering the country.

AIPAC, which advocates for a staunch alliance between the US and Israel, has frequently sided with Trump administration policies that have supported Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, making its opposition especially notable.

"We disagree with Reps. Omar and Tlaib's support for the anti-Israel and anti-peace BDS movement, along with Rep. Tlaib's calls for a one-state solution. We also believe every member of Congress should be able to visit and experience our democratic ally Israel firsthand," AIPAC tweeted early Thursday afternoon.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 12:44 PM   #26
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's not a goal it has. At all. It aims to work towards the granting of equal rights to Palestinians within the state of Israel.

But keep on showing off your ignorance.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 02:27 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=uke2se;12788190]No, that's not a goal it has. At all. It aims to work towards the granting of equal rights to Palestinians within the state of Israel.

Problem is that a great many BDS supporters are also in the "Death To Israel" crowd.
ANyway, it takes two to tango,and I will think about supporting the BDS when HAMAS gives up it's commitment to the destruction of Israel.
Problem is that too many people are driven by either mindless "Israel can do no wrong" attitudes of "Israel Is Evil" attitudes.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th August 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 02:31 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly, in some people's eyes, that is all too true. They conflate criticism of the State of Israel with antisemitism.
True, but you can argue that advocating the Destruction of Isarael is de facto Anti Semitic.
Not thrilled ,for instance, with that map of the Mideast Tlaib supposedly has in her congressional office with the words "Israel" crossed out and replaced by "Palestine".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th August 2019, 02:33 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
That notion has always been a myth. Look at how US foreign policy toward France during the French Revolution became a divisive political issue in the 1790's. Foreign Policy has always been a hot political issue.

But that does not let Trump off the hook for his idiotic comments and his egging on of Bibi to do this.
I hope some Isrealis understand that Trump does not give a damn about Israel, he just sees it as a useful tool for firing up his right wing evangelical base. He will turn on Israel in a minute if he thought it would be I his political advantage.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th August 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 15th August 2019, 02:45 PM   #30
crescent
Illuminator

True, but you can argue that advocating the Destruction of Isarael is de facto Anti Semitic.
Not thrilled ,for instance, with that map of the Mideast Tlaib supposedly has in her congressional office with the words "Israel" crossed out and replaced by "Palestine".
Not crossed out. It had a sticky note on it with an arrow on it pointing at Israel, West Bank and Gaza that said "Palestine". One could read that many ways, such as suggesting that Palestine is also a place, as is the goal of the two-state solution that has been the basis of U.S. policy in the region for 40+ years.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 02:47 PM   #31
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is that a great many BDS supporters are also in the "Death To Israel" crowd.
But do you believe BDS as an organization has "death to Israel" as a goal?

It doesn't, just to be clear.

ANyway, it takes two to tango,and I will think about supporting the BDS when HAMAS gives up it's commitment to the destruction of Israel.
HAMAS is in no way affiliated with BDS, so that seems a bit unfair.

Problem is that too many people are driven by either mindless "Israel can do no wrong" attitudes of "Israel Is Evil" attitudes.
Which is why an organization that focuses on the rights of Palestinians to return to their country and to be treated like human beings is a nice safe centrist thing to support for any enlightened people in the political middle.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 03:29 PM   #32
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No, that's not a goal it has. At all. It aims to work towards the granting of equal rights to Palestinians within the state of Israel.

But keep on showing off your ignorance.
The right of return will destroy Israel as a state, true or false? Feel free to pretend that others are the ignorant ones.
Old 15th August 2019, 03:40 PM   #33
Mumbles
Philosopher

So they decided to join in with the white nationalist.

Okay.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:00 PM   #34
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Bibi's gotten on the wrong side of AIPAC on this, not to mention a good many congresscritters.

https://www.jta.org/2019/08/15/unite...tlaib-and-omar
Old 15th August 2019, 04:30 PM   #35
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Would you care to cite the highlighted part from a BDS source?
Quote:
According to the BDS their goals are:

The BDS campaign urges various forms of nonviolent punitive measures against Israel until it complies with the precepts of international law. These measures should bring about:

Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;

Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and

Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN Resolution 194.

The BDS campaign is organised and coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee. The committee cites a body of UN resolutions and specifically echoes the anti-apartheid campaigns against white minority rule in apartheid era South Africa; the BDS campaign calls for "various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets its obligations under international law".
(From Wiki with citations provided for each of the above statements)

I don't see 'the destruction of Israel' listed among the BDS goals. Harming
finances by boycotting is not exactly an extremist or unusual move. Trump has called for boycotting several companies including the NFL, Univision, CNN, Apple,AT&T, Harley Davidson, and even Mexico and Italy.

Trump's move was petty and stupid because he's a petty and stupid little man.
Old 15th August 2019, 04:33 PM   #36
Giz
Philosopher

Insisting on the right of return is equivalent to calling for Israel to be destroyed
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:41 PM   #37
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Insisting on the right of return is equivalent to calling for Israel to be destroyed
Does UN Resolution 194 stipulate that?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:44 PM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Talking

How different are their opinions from liberal Israelis?

Is it Israelis or Israelites?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:50 PM   #39
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Harming
finances by boycotting is not exactly an extremist or unusual move. Trump has called for boycotting several companies including the NFL, Univision, CNN, Apple,AT&T, Harley Davidson, and even Mexico and Italy.
This is the part that I really don't get. Anyone who's even a little bit comfortable with capitalism cannot cry foul anytime a boycott is proposed. Economic pressure exists in many forms for all kinds of reasons.

It would be foolish to state that anyone proposing boycotts against Israel is anti-semetic. I would be making a similar error if I stated that anyone who voted against Obama was a racist.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:51 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
But do you believe BDS as an organization has "death to Israel" as a goal?

It doesn't, just to be clear.

HAMAS is in no way affiliated with BDS, so that seems a bit unfair.

Which is why an organization that focuses on the rights of Palestinians to return to their country and to be treated like human beings is a nice safe centrist thing to support for any enlightened people in the political middle.
Let's be honest: the "Right of Return" is not going to happen. Makes a much sense as the descedents of all the Germans who were expelled from East Prussia in 1945/46 to demand to return to Poland.

I believe in a two state solution,but IMHO the "Right of Return" is pretty much a death sentence for Israel as a sovereign state.

Which is what I think you want because that is the current hard left dogma.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics