ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th September 2019, 06:41 PM   #281
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I agree it's a very good piece.
Indeed. Itís one of the best depictions of anguish, if not the best, ever.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 03:40 AM   #282
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Today on BBC Radio 4 they repeated the In Our Time podcast about Picasso's Guernica.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07mdlx7

They skip through the Spanish Civil War at the beginning rather quickly which might seem rather blasť, but that is simply because that is not the main subject. (In Our Time covered it in 2003 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548wn)

I did not know that the painting, 3.49 meters (11 ft 5 in) tall and 7.76 meters (25 ft 6 in) wide, was completed in only 7 weeks.

That is remarkably fast for an oil painting that size.
Old 20th September 2019, 07:26 AM   #283
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes indeed absolutely grotesque. Could be used to torture someone if you locked them in a room with it.

How to recognize great art:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th October 2019, 01:46 PM   #284
dann
Philosopher

In case anybody's got too much money:

Quote:
Fifty-five paintings by a chimpanzee -- whose works have been acquired by the likes of Pablo Picasso, Joan Mirů and the Duke of Edinburgh -- will go on sale at a London gallery in December, collectively priced at around £200,000 ($247,000).
Collection of paintings by famed chimp artist to go on sale for $250,000 (CNN, Oct. 7, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 02:31 PM   #285
Thor 2
Philosopher

Would love to be a fly on the wall when some critics discuss the meaning of the works and what the chimp was trying to say.
Old 7th October 2019, 02:35 PM   #286
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
In case anybody's got too much money:
I bet there is an elephant somewhere whose paintings are much more thoughtful and expressive, with specifically elephantine emotions on display, all ready to be thoroughly analyzed by experts.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:41 PM   #287
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I bet there is an elephant somewhere whose paintings are much more thoughtful and expressive, with specifically elephantine emotions on display, all ready to be thoroughly analyzed by experts.
But if it's in the same room, nobody will want to address it.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:51 PM   #288
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
But if it's in the same room, nobody will want to address it.
Excellent point.
Old 7th October 2019, 04:02 PM   #289
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Now it might not be art interpretation or even trying to understand it, the case of Congo is interesting. Based on the short Wiki article, there seemed to be a creative and aesthetic process involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_(chimpanzee)

Interesting from an evolutionary sense of the word.
Old 7th October 2019, 04:48 PM   #290
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Now it might not be art interpretation or even trying to understand it, the case of Congo is interesting. Based on the short Wiki article, there seemed to be a creative and aesthetic process involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_(chimpanzee)

Interesting from an evolutionary sense of the word.
BT, I couldn't get the link to work. I'll try again, it sounds interesting.
Old 7th October 2019, 08:50 PM   #291
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Missing a ) at the end.

Here: Congo

Don't forget Bini the bunny, the only rabbit in the world who can paint with acrylic paints on canvas, can jump, dance and spin on command as well as comb and style human hair. Bini also loves basketball and holds a Guinness Book of World Records title for the most slam dunks by a rabbit in one minute. What will Bini do next?

Last edited by Cheetah; 7th October 2019 at 08:58 PM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 05:14 AM   #292
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Sorry about the broken link and thanks Cheetah for fixing it.

I managed to find Desmond Morris's book "The Biology of Art" which goes into much more detail of his and other experiments.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...217981/page/n3
Old 11th October 2019, 01:38 AM   #293
dann
Philosopher

Would love to be a fly on the wall when some critics discuss the meaning of the works and what the chimp was trying to say.

There's one critic doing so here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(Notice that the chimp masters the art to a degree where it doesn't even have to look at what it's painting!)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 07:47 AM   #294
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Sorry about the broken link and thanks Cheetah for fixing it.

I managed to find Desmond Morris's book "The Biology of Art" which goes into much more detail of his and other experiments.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...217981/page/n3
I have a few other of Morris' books -- thanks for pointing this one out. And I can download it!
Old 11th October 2019, 01:47 PM   #295
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
There's one critic doing so here:

I AGREE

(Notice that the chimp masters the art to a degree where it doesn't even have to look at what it's painting!)

Thanks for the video but the "critique" doesn't delve into the meaning or thoughts of the chimp. Only whether the paintings are pleasing.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:10 PM   #296
8enotto
Graduate Poster

My SIL is an artist and has taught classes to kids and adults. She has in her home a bunch of canvasses that have been used multiple times to demonstrate the various styles of paintings that have been popular.

I looked at one for years that was a blog of purplish forms and last week realized it was of a sleeping cat. Another of a mermaid on a rock that didn't register until it was hung wrong side up.

All of her most appreciated work is beautifully done pencil drawings and oil paintings done in realistic styles.

She has never had a request for abstract art.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 02:03 PM   #297
dann
Philosopher

Thanks for the video but the "critique" doesn't delve into the meaning or thoughts of the chimp. Only whether the paintings are pleasing.

OK, two more, then:

Quote:
What started out as scribbly lines and splotches of paint soon turned into carefully crafted compositions that demonstrated a formal logic without having an obvious analog to the real world. Just as Pollack, de Kooning, and Kline were exploring the limits of pictorial abstraction, so too was a three-year-old chimpanzee.
Congo, the Late Chimpanzee Painter Whose Works Have Sold for Thousands, Will Have a Solo Show at a Respected London Gallery (Art Net, Oct. 8, 2019)

Quote:
But Is It Art? And assuming it is, writes John Valentine in The Philosopher, "what then follows from such a classification? What sort of difference does it or should it make in the way we approach and appreciate chimpanzee paintings? If they are art, what sort of critical or interpretive discourse about them should we engage in? Do we simply appreciate the lines, colours, and forms of Congo's paintings and stop at that? Does it make any difference that the paintings were done by a member of a different species? Should species differences make any difference in artistic value?"
Meet Congo the Chimp, London’s Sensational 1950s Abstract Painter (Open Culture, Nov. 19, 2015)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal