ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts , haunted houses

Old 22nd October 2019, 05:56 PM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

What was the first haunted house you discovered?

I'm willing to bet that many of us, growing up, knew of a "real" haunted house in the neighborhood. For me, it was a place we walked past on the way to elementary school. It was up high, and we could never see any entry to get in - not that we would ever want to.

As I recall, it was boarded up, but had been a tall cathedral, sitting up on a hill, with a steeple and a small, singular window. Some of the kids claimed they had seen a face at the window.

It was terrifying, creepy, unnatural, nightmarish, fear gripping, and I loved it! To impress others we would boast about how we had to stay after school, or arrive late in the morning and walked past it by ourselves! (These were often when the story-teller claimed to have "actually seen" the creepy face.)

What was yours?
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Axxman300
Illuminator

It was around the corner next door to my friend's house. It was nothing special, just another cookie-cutter tract house built post WWII. My friend told me matter-of-factly that the house was haunted by a ghost who wore blue overalls. We were box six years old. I never saw the ghost.
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:43 PM   #3
duffdav
New Blood

For me it was also a place I walked past on the way to elementary school. Been back in the early 60s but I still have a vivid picture in my mind of the place.

The rent was cheap because nobody would stay there very long. My mother had some friends who said they didnít believe in such stuff as haunted houses so they moved in.

Things moved around on the kitchen table by themselves. The windows would not stay down. Something started pulling the cover off them in bed at night. They lasted a week and moved out.
duffdav is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:48 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

First one I was aware of was the Winchester Mystery House. It was a local fixture, not exactly "in the neighborhood", but as much a part of the fabric of my youth as the local amusement park, movie theater, mini golf, and video arcade.

I didn't actually visit it until many years later, though.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:04 PM   #5
Pope130
Illuminator

I've never been in a purported haunted house. However the grade school I went to was said to be. Later several buildings I worked in were claimed to be, the B-29 Raz'n Hell at Castle Air Museum, and the parking spot on the ramp at Pope where 501 departed. A couple of our Herks were also supposed to be cursed if that counts.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:50 PM   #6
wasapi
Philosopher

I have told this before, so I will be brief; I lived in an old house in the woods, surrounded by forest. A young woman, the previous owner, had been beaten to death in the home.

It was difficult to sell, having to disclose the murder to possible buyers. I bought it for $20,000, and lived there at least 40 years. Never once, never, did I see, hear, smell anything "odd".

But most interesting, is that those who visited that were aware of the murder were always the ones "freaked out" by the "vibes" they were picking up on. Yet, those who were not aware, never spoke of any paranormal experience while in my home.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:26 PM   #7
Apathia
Philosopher

My grandmother said that her very own house was haunted. Ghosts included her late husband and my father. I lived there for 10 years and never had any ghost-like encounters.

I had a reoccurring nightmare of some horrible face looking in my window. But one night I dreamed I was outside and I went to check to see if the creep was outside my window. I didn't find him, but when I looked into the window myself, I concluded I was the creep. I never had that nightmare again.

Awful things happened in my grandmother's house that I'd rather not speak of, but they were all perpetrated by my grandmother. I still have nightmares of being back there with that nasty woman. I don't have nightmares of ghosts.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:16 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Canberra, being a thoroughly planned city, doesn't have haunted houses of the kind you describe. But some friends of mine once shared an older house where supposedly someone had been murdered a year or two prior. Unfortunately they didn't report any weird events.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:57 AM   #9
Hevneren
Thinker

A large farmhouse 3 kilometers from where I lived in the seventies. There was a "white lady" who appeared once a year, and a gong that sometimes flew out from the wall it hang on and then fell down.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:00 AM   #10
Drewbot
Philosopher

The first one that I actually stayed in was the Inn at Stonecliffs on Mackinaw Island.

It is a giant old house that has been converted to an inn. The staff will relate stories of hauntings when prompted.

One is of the servant girl who was murdered by the landlord in the apple orchard on the property.

Supposedly ghosts rocking in chairs, or making unusual noises at night.

Creepy, but not dangerous. Beautiful place, if you are ever there, ask to stay in the old house, not in the new hotel area.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:02 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I'm willing to bet that many of us, growing up, knew of a "real" haunted house in the neighborhood.
Not me. I always happened to live in neighborhoods with recent constructions.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:07 AM   #12
Drewbot
Philosopher

Anyone who lived on a block in the city, back when your block was your community, before social media, you walked to friend's houses, rode your bike around the block, had a house that everyone on the block said was haunted.

It was usually an old lady or old man that lived there, and when she came outside, you got the hell away, because every time you walked by it, someone would say 'a witch lives there', or 'she kidnaps kids'. I wouldn't say it necessarily was haunted, but it was a dangerous house.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I've never been in a purported haunted house. However the grade school I went to was said to be. Later several buildings I worked in were claimed to be, the B-29 Raz'n Hell at Castle Air Museum, and the parking spot on the ramp at Pope where 501 departed. A couple of our Herks were also supposed to be cursed if that counts.
Isn't there a parking spot on the ramp at RAF Mildenhall that is bad juju for 130's as well? Martin Caidan covered that in his book. Raz'n Hell never left CONUS and was put together from the bone yard so there's no reason it should be haunted (except by warbird lovers).
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:33 PM   #14
Rincewind
Philosopher

When I moved back to mid-Wales a fair number of years ago, I lived in a little village in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Before I moved I came for a weekend visit with my boss (he had got me the job!) and his two daughters showed me around the village. At the high point in the village was a very old house, and they told me it was haunted, because you could often see a light in an attic window.

While my previous home was being sold, I had to force myself to live in one of the village pubs and I met a fascinating old guy, a retired dentist who had been on teh bridge of HMS Rodney when the Bismarck was sunk.

Turned out that he was a chess fanatic, and used the small room in the attic to practice chess moves. The small room required less heating!

So it was a guy playing chess that caused the two girls to think haunted house!
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:40 PM   #15
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Isn't there a parking spot on the ramp at RAF Mildenhall that is bad juju for 130's as well? Martin Caidan covered that in his book. Raz'n Hell never left CONUS and was put together from the bone yard so there's no reason it should be haunted (except by warbird lovers).
Actually, part of Raz'n Hell is from the original. She served with the 28th BS, 19th BG in Korea as a RAZON bomber, no casualties while there. The story of the ghost is not that he was a war casualty, but that it is the spirit of a retired Nav who died in Northern California, and found his way back to his old airplane. Reported name is Arthur Pryor. The whole thing is, by the way, BS. I was crew chief on it during assembly at Castle. Most of the reported incidents didn't happen at all, the rest are unconfirmed or exaggerated. It was an interesting experience watching peoples' stories change with each retelling.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:53 PM   #16
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
When I moved back to mid-Wales a fair number of years ago, I lived in a little village in the Brecon Beacons National Park.
A neighbor is from there. She is in her late 70's, but moved here with her husband about 20 years ago. She frequently talks about her, now deceased husband, and how they communicate and that he even moves significant photos and other objects in her home. I don't question, it isn't my business.

What I have gathered, her upbringing was filled with ghosts and ghost stories. The supernatural seems as if it has been a part of her life forever. Is this common in Wales?
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:09 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Canberra, being a thoroughly planned city, doesn't have haunted houses of the kind you describe.
Just re-read this and I want to clarify. Canberra has supposedly haunted places. I've done a ghost tour. What it doesn't have is the kind described by wasapi - the tall, abandoned old house on the hill with boarded up windows. You know, the standard Scooby-Doo house. That's what we don't have.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 07:01 AM   #18
Disbelief
Master Poster

Not in my neighborhood, but the local urban legend was an orphanage that had a fire and many children died. Always stories of paranormal activity and that Satanists used to have rituals on the ruins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Orphanage

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:11 AM   #19
Rincewind
Philosopher

A neighbor is from there. She is in her late 70's, but moved here with her husband about 20 years ago. She frequently talks about her, now deceased husband, and how they communicate and that he even moves significant photos and other objects in her home. I don't question, it isn't my business.

What I have gathered, her upbringing was filled with ghosts and ghost stories. The supernatural seems as if it has been a part of her life forever. Is this common in Wales?
I'm afraid my answer has to be - I really don't know!

I was brought up in Cardiff, the big city as it were, in the Roath district. pretty much all of it was streets lined both sides with terraced housing.

I don't recall any stories about ghosts in the area.

I'm in my early 70's.

(I Actually typed weary 70's! )
Old 24th October 2019, 02:48 PM   #20
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

There was a house at the end of the block that was occupied by an older woman and then she died and her grandson moved in for a bit. It was run down and the yard was done on a monthly basis to the bare minimum to keep the city from citing them. Overgrown trees, vines all over the house, screen doors off their hinges, junk in the drive and around the yard.

I never thought of it as haunted, but we always stayed clear of it.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Axxman300
Illuminator

Actually, part of Raz'n Hell is from the original. She served with the 28th BS, 19th BG in Korea as a RAZON bomber, no casualties while there. The story of the ghost is not that he was a war casualty, but that it is the spirit of a retired Nav who died in Northern California, and found his way back to his old airplane. Reported name is Arthur Pryor. The whole thing is, by the way, BS. I was crew chief on it during assembly at Castle. Most of the reported incidents didn't happen at all, the rest are unconfirmed or exaggerated. It was an interesting experience watching peoples' stories change with each retelling.
Thanks...and it figures the stories are crap.
Old 27th October 2019, 06:05 AM   #22
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Nope. Never in my life lived in a neighbourhood that had a house which was reputed to be haunted. I've vague memories of one or two abandoned houses around where I lived, but there was nothing special about them, no stories, they were just boarded up old houses that nobody lived in.
Old 27th October 2019, 06:09 AM   #23
Stout
Illuminator

I had a house a few doors down that was reputed to be haunted. Well, haunted at one time but de-haunted when a headless skeleton in chains was purported to have been removed from the property in the 1940s.

The woman who owned the place was more annoyed by haunted house hunters and reporters than she was by ghosts.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 07:46 AM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I'm afraid my answer has to be - I really don't know!

I was brought up in Cardiff, the big city as it were, in the Roath district. pretty much all of it was streets lined both sides with terraced housing.

I don't recall any stories about ghosts in the area.

I'm in my early 70's.

(I Actually typed weary 70's! )
Doctor Who had ghosts in Cardiff, but they were actually aliens.
Old 27th October 2019, 08:05 AM   #25
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Anyone who lived on a block in the city, back when your block was your community, before social media, you walked to friend's houses, rode your bike around the block, had a house that everyone on the block said was haunted.

It was usually an old lady or old man that lived there, and when she came outside, you got the hell away, because every time you walked by it, someone would say 'a witch lives there', or 'she kidnaps kids'. I wouldn't say it necessarily was haunted, but it was a dangerous house.
I can't recall any. Dull ranch style houses aren't prime haunting locations. My high school was haunted on the other hand.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:43 PM   #26
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I can't recall any. Dull ranch style houses aren't prime haunting locations. My high school was haunted on the other hand.
Your High School had hands!

Oh, you're talking about hired hands, i.e. the people that worked there...
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:50 AM   #27
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Your High School had hands!

Oh, you're talking about hired hands, i.e. the people that worked there...
Yes. That is the only reasonable way to read that sentence, so that is what I meant.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:14 AM   #28
wasapi
Philosopher

While it is true that newer ranch style houses and new suburban homes are not usually places that make you think of ghosts, I have learned that just even a rumor of the location being, say, former burial grounds or something, changes things.

As a kid, the tower-like building that we kids insisted had a ghost of an old woman/man in the window, probably wasn't very old, but it didn't matter. We were intent on seeing a ghost and being freaked out. Our stories to one another kept getting more and more frightening, our heroism in walking by it on the way home, was greatly exaggerated!
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:48 AM   #29
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I looked that one up. That's the parking spot that the C-130 Paul Meyers stole last used. I was TDY to Mildenhall several times in the '90s. The hijacking was still talked about, but I didn't hear anything about a haunting. All the discussion was over whether he crashed or was shot down.
Old 3rd November 2019, 05:46 PM   #30
Axxman300
Illuminator

I looked that one up. That's the parking spot that the C-130 Paul Meyers stole last used. I was TDY to Mildenhall several times in the '90s. The hijacking was still talked about, but I didn't hear anything about a haunting. All the discussion was over whether he crashed or was shot down.
That is a cooler story.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:03 PM   #31
Myles
Thinker

Not only found one but lived in it for 6 months in 1971. Callan Castle located in Inman Park in Atlanta, Ga. was a home that Asa Candler of Coca-Cola fame had built in 1903. Further details about the house can easily be googled. Never met the owner at the time but the house was leased to a couple of guys who split the house up into 5 units. This was still part of the counter culture days. They lived in one of the units, a couple who managed The Merry-Go-Round store on the strip lived in one of the 2 units on the 2nd floor, two single females lived across the hallway from them, a single artist lived in the front part of the house on the first floor, and my spot was on the first floor in what used to be the solarium. From the get-go, Bob who rented my space to me bluntly stated that the house was haunted and asked me if that would be a problem. I was not as skeptical about such matters then as I am now so I was eager to experience some of that action. Every single person in that house assured me that strange things happened there.

If I went into detail about the occurrences that I personally witnessed in that short 6 months, I would have to build a wall of text here to explain it and there are enough people on this forum who could ridicule me back into silence. When the last event happened, I woke Bob the next morning and said I was leaving and leaving fast, gave him some compensation for giving no notice, and split.

What I have learned over the years is not to interpret strange events myself. All I should do is report what happened and let others render their opinion about it.

Fast forward to the present. My 2nd marriage lasted 31 years. My wife passed away in 2015 but not in our home. I remarried almost a year later and my new wife moved in with me. She is someone who does believe easily in ghostly things. I began to chronicle the occurrences and 3 were very scary to me. My wife though was so frightened that we bought a house in Florida and moved out. She will not go back inside. We still own that Georgia house and I still pay the utilities and a yard man for upkeep and hope to finally sell it in a few months.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:21 PM   #32
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

It may sound anticlimactic, but I never actually thought some place was haunted. Well, mom kept seeing ghosts at our house, so in retrospect I guess that ought to count, but then again let's just say it came as a surprise to nobody when she got prescribed antipsychotics. In any case, the dead always left ME alone for some reason. I've had various problems with the living, but the dead never did me any wrong.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:47 PM   #33
wasapi
Philosopher

It was rumored that the house I owned for many years, was haunted, because a young woman had been murdered in it, not long before I moved in.

Over 40 years. Nothing, not a peep from a ghost, no signs at all. Moving in I found the attic full of stolen motorcycle parts, bent spoons, spent bullets. It was quite a crew before me.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:33 PM   #34
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It was rumored that the house I owned for many years, was haunted, because a young woman had been murdered in it, not long before I moved in.

Over 40 years. Nothing, not a peep from a ghost, no signs at all. Moving in I found the attic full of stolen motorcycle parts, bent spoons, spent bullets. It was quite a crew before me.
It says something about my sheltered life that when you mentioned bent spoons, my first thought was fledgling psychics.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:55 PM   #35
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
It says something about my sheltered life that when you mentioned bent spoons, my first thought was fledgling psychics.
Spoons are a gateway psyche. Start on spoons, and pretty soon they're reading minds, seeing futures, and talking to the dead! Before you know it, they're on Oprah pimping their new daytime TV show or psychic hotline. End the madness!

Old 7th November 2019, 02:59 PM   #36
Tormac
Muse

I have never been to a "haunted house", but I have been to an old haunted railroad tunnel.

https://www.hauntedhocking.com/Moonv...nel_Keeton.htm

It is near a place that I frequently went backpacking at. When I was a kid my Father and Uncle loved to tell my brother and I all manner of spooky Appalachian legends of Haints and Foxfires to get us worked up when we were out camping.

The Moonville tunnel is off the backpacking trail by a little bit, but it is work the walk to see.

I didn't see the ghost of Baldie though .
Old 7th November 2019, 03:47 PM   #37
angrysoba
Philosophile

There was an old pub near where I once lived. Full of spirits, they said.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #38
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
There was an old pub near where I once lived. Full of spirits, they said.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:13 AM   #39
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

On the edge of the rural neighbourhood I grew up in on the Norwegian west coast, there was a small hill that had been fortified with trenches, bunkers, and whatnot by the Nazis during WWII. It had a good deal of dead and fallen trees as well as the remains of the bunkers and whatnot, so naturally we little kids decided there were demons up there.

At the foot of the hill there is a sort of mansion from the late 1800s, with a large garden, and next to that property there is a tiny wooden house that was probably the servants' house way back then, but which while I grew up was in a state of advanced disrepair and slowly going to ruin.

I don't think any of us believed it was haunted, but since it was in such disrepair, and sitting next to a hill full of demons , we found it creepy nonetheless. Don't think we would have dared spend the night there.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:33 AM   #40
philkensebben
Illuminator

According to my father, all the houses we lived in when I was a kid, were haunted.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal